Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MX Boot fit - roomy or tight?

Tenerider

Hey folks, I'm currently trying a lot of different MX boots to replace my current Forma "Adventure" boots. Nothing wrong with these boots, but the "adventure" lies in not knowing whether you'll completely lose your foot after a crash or only break it multiple times. Absolutely NOT suitable for any offroad riding, period.

My main problem is that I have wide, but flat feet with a narrow heel. This means I usually need to buy one or even two sizes bigger than my feet length would indicate - which then leads to problems with loose heel fit and so on...

I have the choice between several models and sizes of MX boots, from roomy (and very comfortable) to very tight (and still ok in terms of comfort).

My problem is that I just don't know how such boots should actually fit. For example, one model has a very roomy toe box (feels great), but I fear my feet might move around in these boots too much during a crash (I can lift my heel a little bit).

Another pair fits really tight, and my toes slightly touch the inner boot, but they feel bomb-proof and almost bolted to my feet.

I was used to wearing ski boots around 20 years ago, and preferred them really tight - which is important for skiing.

But I just don't know how it should be for MX or Enduro boots.

So, really looking forward to your opinions and experience on this!

Jan

MX boots need to be more on the tighter side. With too much room to move there is also room to twist.
Everything starting with "too" is not good so too tight also but take in count most boots will get roomier when worn in.

• Like 1

boots do stretch a little bit...MX not so much but still does.

How tight is your tight? I have wide feet too so my feet also kind of swim in my boots but I 100000000% make sure my ankles are supported.

If not, you are no better off than buying a street boots.

• Like 1

Leatt boots have a wide toe box and a somewhat narrow heel. I have a pair for sale but shipping to Germany might be a bit spendy.

• Like 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

I went the other way.  After riding paved roads and gravel for a couple days with Sidi Crossfire MX boots, I bought a pair of Forma adventure boots for more casual riding. Walking around in the MX boots was difficult and noisy. 

I'll still use the MX boots for more serious off road. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's more or less what I had in my mind. Tight fit around the heel and ankle means good protection. So I will go for a "ski boot fit" at least on the rear foot.

I think I might need to sacrifice toe comfort a bit or experiment with different insoles.

@Black Dog Moto thanks, indeed this makes no sense- thanks to European customs.

I got a pair of Gaerne Fastback Endurance Enduro today - definitely have a wide toe box, but probably these are one size too big for me. Sadly, the smaller size is not available at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I went the other way.  After riding paved roads and gravel for a couple days with Sidi Crossfire MX boots, I bought a pair of Forma adventure boots for more casual riding. Walking around in the MX boots was difficult and noisy. 

I'll still use the MX boots for more serious off road. 

I'll still ride them on pavement, but almost broke a toe last year - and I didn't even crash properly, my foot just got slightly (!) caught.

If I hadn't already bought the Crossfires, I think a pair of Sidi Adventure 2 boots might have worked for me. They have hinges at the ankle and better protection than the Formas.

Considering what the T7 weighs, good lower leg protection seems like an important safety item to me. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

There’s always alpinestars corozal or Belize (shorter version). They are well supported and semi rigid but comfortable as f*** once bedded in. The formas are a bit too soft I think. They even say they shouldn’t be used on real dirt bikes/pegs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dougie said:

There’s always alpinestars corozal or Belize (shorter version). They are well supported and semi rigid but comfortable as f*** once bedded in. The formas are a bit too soft I think. They even say they shouldn’t be used on real dirt bikes/pegs. 

Sadly, Alpinestars just won't fit my feet. Either too big or too small, it feels like there is a size missing in between 😂

But yes, they are SO comfy. Even out of the box you can feel that.

16 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

If I hadn't already bought the Crossfires, I think a pair of Sidi Adventure 2 boots might have worked for me. They have hinges at the ankle and better protection than the Formas.

Considering what the T7 weighs, good lower leg protection seems like an important safety item to me. 

Ray has got them - I only laid my hands on them in a shop. Sadly, they are not rigid at all imho.

Not MX but Adventure,  Alpinestars Toucan I have a size 13US Wide foot. These fit me the best out of all the adventure boots I tried on.  I've worn these for 8 hours riding no issues still feels good at the end of the day. 

Edited by Jesse
  • Like 1

I have and still wear my worn out beat up Forma Adventures.

I fractured my foot in them a few years ago riding off road when my foot hit a hidden stump, had I been wearing proper off road type boots my foot would have been fine.

When I got home I immediately ordered a pair of Crossfires that I wore for the last few years when riding off road but they were a bit much for anything other than legit off road single track/gnarly type stuff. 

Last summer I got a pair of Tech 7's and to me they are the perfect balance of comfort and protection. They are nowhere near as comfortable as my well worn Formas which are pretty much a heavy duty hiking boot but much better than my Crossfires. 

My Formas have been relegated to my put around gravel roads/in town type boots and my Crossfires sit unused.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Ray has got them - I only laid my hands on them in a shop. Sadly, they are not rigid at all imho.

They are rigid enough and server me well, still going to use them after i buy MX boots hopefully this weekend.
It's just that i noticed that with experience the speed and challenge also level up and with some trips in the planning to more rocky regions i just need better protection.
The Adventure 2 will have a purpose but probably limited to the Crosstourer.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a unicorn boot for the type of riding I do.  On the street and gravel roads, anything that has great protection is unpleasant to wear off the bike if any amount of walking is done.  The Forma Adventure boots are adequate for this as long as I am conservative on the gravel roads.  They have about the same impact protection as my street boots, but little ankle support for twisting and big impacts.

The Crossfires have a great level of protection but walking in them is difficult if you need to go very far.  I always enjoy the looks from non-riders when I walk into a store sounding like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz!

A boot like the Tech 7 or Adventure 2 is  a great compromise if you only want one set of boots.  But it IS a compromise -- it is not perfect for walking and I would prefer to be in a Crossfire in a big crash.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

I was wearing Formas when I had a slow speed crash that resulted in multiple leg/ankle fractures to my left leg.

When I recovered I bought Gaerne SG12. They are a great MX boot for off-roading but I found that they pressed heavily on my ankle to the point where I could feel the screw heads in my ankle.

I now use Tech 7s. Comfortable with good ankle support.

And I am now a little slower and more cautious out there.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

4 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I don't think there is a unicorn boot for the type of riding I do.  On the street and gravel roads, anything that has great protection is unpleasant to wear off the bike if any amount of walking is done.  The Forma Adventure boots are adequate for this as long as I am conservative on the gravel roads.  They have about the same impact protection as my street boots, but little ankle support for twisting and big impacts.

The Crossfires have a great level of protection but walking in them is difficult if you need to go very far.  I always enjoy the looks from non-riders when I walk into a store sounding like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz!

A boot like the Tech 7 or Adventure 2 is  a great compromise if you only want one set of boots.  But it IS a compromise -- it is not perfect for walking and I would prefer to be in a Crossfire in a big crash.

8 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Hey folks, I'm currently trying a lot of different MX boots to replace my current Forma "Adventure" boots. Nothing wrong with these boots, but the "adventure" lies in not knowing whether you'll completely lose your foot after a crash or only break it multiple times. Absolutely NOT suitable for any offroad riding, period.

My main problem is that I have wide, but flat feet with a narrow heel. This means I usually need to buy one or even two sizes bigger than my feet length would indicate - which then leads to problems with loose heel fit and so on...

I have the choice between several models and sizes of MX boots, from roomy (and very comfortable) to very tight (and still ok in terms of comfort).

My problem is that I just don't know how such boots should actually fit. For example, one model has a very roomy toe box (feels great), but I fear my feet might move around in these boots too much during a crash (I can lift my heel a little bit).

Another pair fits really tight, and my toes slightly touch the inner boot, but they feel bomb-proof and almost bolted to my feet.

I was used to wearing ski boots around 20 years ago, and preferred them really tight - which is important for skiing.

But I just don't know how it should be for MX or Enduro boots.

So, really looking forward to your opinions and experience on this!

Jan

A-Stars Tech 7 Enduro Drystars!  Super comfy out of the box.  Wear them all day.  Good to walk in, but not at a racetrack or restaurant.  And waterproof!  That's what I wear on my dirt bike on muddy or water crossing days.  I use A-Stars Tech 7 for the other dirt biking days.  I'll use them on the T7 as well.

However, I'm in the hunt for a street boot that is warm and waterproof for winter. Thoughts?

Daytona Road Star GTX

A-Stars Web Gore-Tex Boots

Oxford Continental Waterproof Boots

Rev-It Everest Gore-Tex Boots

Edited by r1superstar

Regarding Tech 7s, a lot of you guys seem to like them. They were quite solid, definitely a different class than most adv boots (FYI, mine are "Forma ADV Tourer", these have probably the least protection of them all - but they have ONE buckle. Probably for cool MX looks.).

But as I said, Alpinestars won't fit. Size 10 is way too small in width and I already have to close the buckles very tight to get my heel/ankle fit. Size 11 feels better, but even on the tightest setting my heels are flopping around.

I know they're not MX boots, but have you considered the Forma Terra Evo boots? Sort of the next step up in protection from the Adventure boots. They're far more rigid than the Adventure boots with better protection and an ankle hinge thing but still have some flex so you can walk about in them in relative comfort, miles better protection than the Forma adventure slippers.

Their waterproofing claims leave something to be desired, but that goes with every bit of bike gear I've owned after not as long as I'd hoped.

Sorry, forgot to mention, my Forma Terra Evo boots seem to have a fairly wide toe area but support well in the heel/ankle area for me, actually felt quite a different fit to the 'adventure' boots I had before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peen said:

Sorry, forgot to mention, my Forma Terra Evo boots seem to have a fairly wide toe area but support well in the heel/ankle area for me, actually felt quite a different fit to the 'adventure' boots I had before.

Thanks, didn't have them on my list - I might give them a try, because I like the Forma fit in general.

Just want to stop in and say "good luck." 👍🏻
I have the exact same issue with my 12EEEE feet. I too have the Forma ADV boots because they were the only pair of boots I found, between 2 Cycle Gears, 3 large stealerships and 2 smaller stealerships that would fit my stupid feet.

That said, I love the hiking-boot-ish soles and they are super comfortable and stay dry. But you are right about the lack of ankle protection... If you DO find something that fits, please do give us (me) details. I'd love to know that there's another decent boot out there that may be a possibility.

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

26 minutes ago, PNGL said:

Just want to stop in and say "good luck." 👍🏻
I have the exact same issue with my 12EEEE feet. I too have the Forma ADV boots because they were the only pair of boots I found, between 2 Cycle Gears, 3 large stealerships and 2 smaller stealerships that would fit my stupid feet.

That said, I love the hiking-boot-ish soles and they are super comfortable and stay dry. But you are right about the lack of ankle protection... If you DO find something that fits, please do give us (me) details. I'd love to know that there's another decent boot out there that may be a possibility.

I think those Gaerne Fastback Endurance might really be what you (and I) need. They are very comfy, not like a plastik ski boot - they have some kind of ankle hinch which works great for walking while being very stiff sideways.

Walking is not as comfy as in Formas, but definitely not "torture". They have a VERY wide toe box - as I said, I think one size smaller might be perfect for me, but they aren't available at the moment. It may well be that they will fit perfectly with an aftermarket insole (like Superfeet or so).

I finally found a boot which both fits my feet and my needs, Sidi Crossfire SRS:

20230204_112811.jpg.9d7225a6d979f06d4c197b5e4dcd4f1c.jpg

My heel doesn't slip even with thin socks, sufficient room for my feet and an AMAZING grip with the calves on the bike (didn't ride them yet, only tested them on the centerstand along with other boots so I could return them).

The straps on other boots needed to be at the shortest length for my chicken legs, causing too much pressure in some areas. Not on this pair, the straps are firm but create even pressure.

Protection is definitely first class.

I can walk quite comfortably with them and can imagine wearing them all day long. After wearing them for maybe 15 minutes, they get even more comfortable. Definitely not comparable to Tech 7's (they are velvety smooth and have superior cushioning imho), but the best compromise between secure fit/correct size and comfort for my feet.

I also tested Sidi Atojo SRS and Gaerne Fastback Endurance Enduro for a longer time now. Atojos are lighter but should offer comparable protection, but it looks like I need 4 buckles to adapt them properly to my feet/legs.

Gaernes are GREAT, should offer plenty comfort at a little bit less protection, but were too big (and smaller sizes aren't available at the moment).

Being an offroad noob, I think I can make use of the best protection available. Even if I don't ride hard, I can still crash hard.

Thanks again guys!

• Like 1