Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heidenau Scout install

NeilW

Using my Rabaconda I made quick work of mounting front and rear Heidenau K60 Scouts over the Optex tubeless conversion

the rear sure has a lot of meat on it. 

what is your experience with the K60 Scouts??

8107B59F-E47D-49DC-96C0-96D82DE8B16B.jpeg

I had them on my CB500X RallyRaid conversion and i hated them, stiff and very dangerous in the wet when pushed, no bite when the forrest roads were just a bit damp. But they did a good job on gravel roads 👍 kept them on for 4000km before i gave up on them, put on some STR’s and never looked back.

but that was just my experience with them, others love them 👍 

i now have the Heidenau Rangers on my T7 and they actually do a pretty good job.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Prestone said:

I had them on my CB500X RallyRaid conversion and i hated them, stiff and very dangerous in the wet when pushed, no bite when the forrest roads were just a bit damp. But they did a good job on gravel roads 👍 kept them on for 4000km before i gave up on them, put on some STR’s and never looked back.

but that was just my experience with them, others love them 👍 

i now have the Heidenau Rangers on my T7 and they actually do a pretty good job.

@Prestone every road in the Oregon Washington area is gravel. Obviously everyone’s experiences are different. I do have concern about the scout center strip. I am a big chunk knobbie fan but I am truly riding farther on the asphalt to get to the gravel than I am on the gravel. So giving these a try. Thanks for your comments. 

24 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@Prestone every road in the Oregon Washington area is gravel. Obviously everyone’s experiences are different. I do have concern about the scout center strip. I am a big chunk knobbie fan but I am truly riding farther on the asphalt to get to the gravel than I am on the gravel. So giving these a try. Thanks for your comments. 

This used to be the only tire I'd use, but that was on a bigger bike and before I did any serious dirt, so it's been a while. Been thinking about giving them a shot again but that center strip has held me back. Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

@Prestone did you mount the Ranger yourself? Wondering how it is compared to the Scout.

advgoats.com

If you don't like the centre stripe pick up a tire groover and cut a groove after those big centre knobs.  I bet it would really help that tire off road.

It might hurt mileage, but those have pretty hard rubber so I doubt it would make a huge difference durability wise.

Ideal-Kit_edited.png

Ideal’s inexpensive, hand-held tools are constructed for easy, efficient and long-lasting operation. The solid brass head keeps strong, constant heat

6 minutes ago, williestreet said:

If you don't like the centre stripe pick up a tire groover and cut a groove after those big centre knobs.  I bet it would really help that tire off road.

It might hurt mileage, but those have pretty hard rubber so I doubt it would make a huge difference durability wise.

Ideal-Kit_edited.png

Ideal’s inexpensive, hand-held tools are constructed for easy, efficient and long-lasting operation. The solid brass head keeps strong, constant heat

@williestreet Actually while I was sitting my my butt installing the rear tire, I was actually thinking about that.- I wonder how LOUD it would make it on the Freeway at 80 mph ?

I used run one on my ktm 950. for a road tyre it was nice but issue i had was any path of grass in middle fo the road or wet road markings it was very slippery

The smaller version has no centre bead if memory serves me correct. 

I agree taking the centre section out is a common mod people used do few years ago

• Like 1

I had them too on my 950 adv. Good on dry roads and hard earth and gravel roads. But slippery in the rain, even with the silica component.

But they last long, i did more then 20.000 km on these heidenaus.

10 hours ago, random1781 said:

This used to be the only tire I'd use, but that was on a bigger bike and before I did any serious dirt, so it's been a while. Been thinking about giving them a shot again but that center strip has held me back. Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

@Prestone did you mount the Ranger yourself? Wondering how it is compared to the Scout.

Yes i did mount them myself, on a tire machine, they are pretty tough to work with so guess putting them on witj tire irons would be a bit of a chore

• Like 1

I have the Rangers and i like them very much.

Didn't went for the scout because of that centre strip and what i heard about wet grip.

• Like 1

I ran several sets on my 1200 tenere. I mainly  stayed on paved roads with some fire roads and liked them, Front not so much.

Took several thousand miles for front to smooth out. Got a large nail in rear and rode 65 miles home on interstate . Tire was

quite warm when I got home. I put as much as 17,000 miles and never wore one out.

I have a set of Trail Max Missions to go on T7 next. I have already installed front and handling  is much improved on street over stock Pirelli's.

IMG_2056.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcbrien said:

I ran several sets on my 1200 tenere. I mainly  stayed on paved roads with some fire roads and liked them, Front not so much.

Took several thousand miles for front to smooth out. Got a large nail in rear and rode 65 miles home on interstate . Tire was

quite warm when I got home. I put as much as 17,000 miles and never wore one out.

I have a set of Trail Max Missions to go on T7 next. I have already installed front and handling  is much improved on street over stock Pirelli's.

IMG_2056.JPG

The trailmax's are a good tire, I have 20k kms on a set, and looks like they still have another 5-6k on them easy. I rode across Canada with them. It was nice knowing I didn't have to change tires anywhere, gripped pretty well on gravel. 

However, and I don't know if this is due to them wearing over time, in the wet they are terrible. They're  rock hard, and even with an easy throttle spin out easily, you can feel them hanging on for dear life in corners at that time which reduces confidence greatly.  I have a set of AX41's ready to go on now, way less mileage though

3 hours ago, mcbrien said:

IMG_2056.JPG

The Trailax Rear for the T7 looks different - the blocks that run up the middle are virtually a centre-strip, and certainly becomes one soon. I was happy to have them for 6500 miles,  mostly road, and liked the Front a lot, but the Rear was disappointing.  If the Rear blocks looked the same as your photo, I'd keep it on for a few thousand more.

23 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

The Trailax Rear for the T7 looks different - the blocks that run up the middle are virtually a centre-strip, and certainly becomes one soon. I was happy to have them for 6500 miles,  mostly road, and liked the Front a lot, but the Rear was disappointing.  If the Rear blocks looked the same as your photo, I'd keep it on for a few thousand more.

Probably because some people run the 140 vs the 150. The 140 doesn't have those run up the center strip. I ran the 140 with no issues

• Like 2

For those thinking of the Heidenau please note

140/80 18 rear does not have the center line connection of the knobs

150/70 18 rear DOES have the center line

I didn't know that until recently.

To do over, I would get the 140/80

Scout-Pair.jpg

120/90 - 17 M/C 64T TT 130/80 - 17 M/C 65T TL 4.00 - 18 M/C 64T TT 120/80 - 18 M/C 62T TT140/80 - 18 M/C 70S TT 110/80 B 19 M/C 59T TL 120/70 B 19 M/C 60T TL 90/90 - 21 M/C 54T TL 140/80 - 17 M/C 69T TL 150/70 B 17 M/C...

When  I was mounting the front tire I re checked about 10x to make sure it was facing the correct way since in my head, the Chevron pattern would have the point forward but it doesn't.

11 hours ago, thepointchris said:

This is the trail max mission for the T7 in my photo which I will be mounting soon. I bought the set through my Yamaha dealer.

46 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

This is the trail max mission for the T7 in my photo which I will be mounting soon. I bought the set through my Yamaha dealer.

What's the size on it @mcbrien ? I'm just curious -thought they were a great set, but for that centre ridge. I'll post a pic when I mount the TKC70 Rock.

8 hours ago, thepointchris said:

What's the size on it @mcbrien ? I'm just curious -thought they were a great set, but for that centre ridge. I'll post a pic when I mount the TKC70 Rock.

IMG_2057.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcbrien said:

IMG_2057.JPG

Thanks for sharing- for sure a different tread to mine!

Edited by thepointchris

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

@AZJW shouldn't this be in the wheels and tire section? 

Probably should be moved now as it is a full discussion 🙂

3 hours ago, thepointchris said:

Thanks for sharing- for sure a different tread to mine!

NOT - here's what's going on: if you look closely at the centre row of knows, you'll see that they're "connected" with a shallower support bar. But that support bar is a lot shallower than the rest of the tread, so the pic shows how it wears - you lose center traction pretty soon during the life of the tire.

20230401_075221.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@AZJW shouldn't this be in the wheels and tire section? 

Yes.  Done and thanks for the heads up.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

If I was to make a run to AK, I would not hesitate to run the K60 Scouts. Incredible mileage on the tires.    However, they are known for NOT being wet weather friendly.  Thats the downside  to the tire.    Neil, please report your findings after you have had a chance to get some miles on them.  I have the Anakee Wild  back on the front and the Rallz rear tire on the back.  So far, I have found this to be a great combination.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

If I was to make a run to AK, I would not hesitate to run the K60 Scouts. Incredible mileage on the tires.    However, they are known for NOT being wet weather friendly.  Thats the downside  to the tire.    Neil, please report your findings after you have had a chance to get some miles on them.  I have the Anakee Wild  back on the front and the Rallz rear tire on the back.  So far, I have found this to be a great combination.  

Will do. It will be a full review for the magazine. 

• Like 1