Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heidenau Scout install

NeilW

I'm truly mystified with all the comments about wet road behaviour.

I've just changed my front K60 after 17k km and the rear has 25k km on it, despite the fact that the rear looks very flat it still handles well.

I have never had any issues with them in the wet

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, electric_monk said:

I'm truly mystified with all the comments about wet road behaviour.

I've just changed my front K60 after 17k km and the rear has 25k km on it, despite the fact that the rear looks very flat it still handles well.

I have never had any issues with them in the wet

@electric_monkThank you for sharing this info. Ireland is certainly a wet road area. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 12:57 AM, Prestone said:

Yes i did mount them myself, on a tire machine, they are pretty tough to work with so guess putting them on witj tire irons would be a bit of a chore

I have a Rabaconda Street tire changer. I was worried about mounting the K60 Scouts - front and rear - so I reached out to Rabaconda for advise. They sent me links to some of their recent videos of very hard sidewall ADV tires. It was all technique. I am being honest when I say that it took me longer to spread the bead grease all over everything than it did to actually mount the rear K60. I was very proud of myself 🙂 Took like 3 -4 minutes total mounting time after the bead grease was applied.

About fixing a flat on the trail. It was the K60 Scouts that led me to do the Outex tubeless conversion. No way I could replace a tube on the K60 rear with tire irons on the trail.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have nearly 700 miles on the K60 scouts now. Probably 200 miles in the rain on asphalt and had no issues with slippage. Most was 45-55 mph twisties. They were solid in the rain. Can’t even tell if any rubber is worn off yet. These are high mileage tires for sure b

15 hours ago, NeilW said:

I have nearly 700 miles on the K60 scouts now. Probably 200 miles in the rain on asphalt and had no issues with slippage. Most was 45-55 mph twisties. They were solid in the rain. Can’t even tell if any rubber is worn off yet. These are high mileage tires for sure b

Hi Neil, how do you think they will do off road?  Been considering them.

7 hours ago, AirborneSilva said:

Hi Neil, how do you think they will do off road?  Been considering them.

They are fine I would consider a true 50/50. Personally I love huge knobbies for off road . I ride faster in the dirt and hard pack gravel turns with knobbies. Problem is that knobbies dont do well on the freeway and twisties in the rain. The K60 Scouts slow me down about 10 MPH when riding aggressively  on forest roads. but riding at my normal "fun" pace which is faster than some, slower than others, the Scouts hug the ground. no slipping, all confidence. 

I write reviews  so companies send me tires. I literally have no reason to chance these Scouts out except to try a tire that a manufacturer has asked me to review. I would be satisfied with these scouts for street and my off road riding for 8-10,000 miles. 

the Ranger is like 80 off road and 20 on road.  If  you ride like you stole it then get the Rangers. If you enjoy "adventure touring" I haven't found a better tire that will last as long as these do. The rear Scout literally has 1/2" tread depth !

It is now compounded for Mud + Snow which reduces the mileage by about 10% over the older compound but will grip better in colder climates etc. They won't be easy to spoon on. VERY stiff sidewalls. I have a rabaconda and made quick work of the install. suggesting you let a shop curse at them. Oh - one more thing. Since I knwo I wouldn't be able to spoon them off on the trail I went with the OUTEX tubelss conversion- so I can plug a hole instead of replacing a tube ( although I do carry spoons and tubes.

Additionally sharing my two cents.. If you ( anyone) are new to off roading I would suggest getting more aggressive knobby tires  as they will help you grip better as you learn "dirt riding".  I have over 12000 miles of dirt riding experience so I may not be feeling a lack of traction that would put a newbie down. I do try to account for my experience when assessing tires though.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

Thanks Neil, I would worry about flats on the trail.  I've heard bad things about the Outex tubeless conversion so shy away from doing that. 

6 hours ago, AirborneSilva said:

Thanks Neil, I would worry about flats on the trail.  I've heard bad things about the Outex tubeless conversion so shy away from doing that. 

Every Outex failure is directly attributable to not shaving the tops of the nipples. Every review the person states they didn’t- wouldn’t ever etc shave the tops. Just saying that I shaved.  And if you did have a failure it is the “same” as a flat and you put in a tube. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1