Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 Corrosion

Dibles

Question

Hi All,

Anyone having any issues with corrosion. She's done around 2500m in all weathers. I have a few fasteners on the bike which look like they have been outside for a while now all rusted over. Also i confirmed with the dealer that the spokes are not stainless steel. Mine are looking quite grotty already and just wondered if anyone is having any similar quality issues.

I did ACF50 the bike as soon as i got it so surprised to see any corrosion to be honest but it is what it is so just going to keep bathing it in that and GT85 and hope it doesn't get much worse

That made me chuckle. Yes, I’d already looked at the KTM and the problems with the electrical gremlins, ex ex.

to be totally honest, I love everything about the tenere and I couldn’t fault the bike and the reviews. There is nothing at all that I disliked . it was only when I joined the forum that I found out about the corrosion issues. Somebody mentioned on the forum worst case scenario I could have rally raid rebuild the wheels with stainless spokes in time not really an expense that I’d want from 11 K bike.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stormtrooperx7 said:

That made me chuckle. Yes, I’d already looked at the KTM and the problems with the electrical gremlins, ex ex.

to be totally honest, I love everything about the tenere and I couldn’t fault the bike and the reviews. There is nothing at all that I disliked . it was only when I joined the forum that I found out about the corrosion issues. Somebody mentioned on the forum worst case scenario I could have rally raid rebuild the wheels with stainless spokes in time not really an expense that I’d want from 11 K bike.

Really, don't worry about it. According to Yamaha, the spokes problems are long gone and did only occur on some (not all) early models.

Now that’s positive news😁.  I have emailed Yamaha EU ref new models and if they have addressed the problem .

thanks for all the feedback appreciated 

2 hours ago, Stormtrooperx7 said:

I don't know the reference that makes you think 11k is a premium price that should offer all the best parts.

Other bikes from the same reliability level are all around 4k more expensive and they too need upgrades to make them closer to perfect.

• Like 2

Same problems here. My T7 is on it's second set of spokes and they are all corroded again, at 35.000KM.

I don't care anymore really about the aesthethics, but it's clear that these parts are just bad quality and they are replacing them with the same thing.

I also have some corrosion behind the footpegs, where some paint fell off, on the exhaust hanger which got slightly bent,  and on the the fuel tank at the usual location. I hope I can get that replaced under warranty. I recently extended warranty for this reason, as a new fuel tanks is quite expensive.

My 15 yr old Yam MT03 660  has no rust at all on it. Maybe because the new-gen Yamaha bikes are priced agressively, they have to cut some corners there I guess. 

Edited by OK185
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OK185 said:

Same problems here. My T7 is on it's second set of spokes and they are all corroded again, at 35.000KM.

I don't care anymore really about the aesthethics, but it's clear that these parts are just bad quality and they are replacing them with the same thing.

I also have some corrosion behind the footpegs, where some paint fell off, on the exhaust hanger which got slightly bent,  and on the the fuel tank at the usual location. I hope I can get that replaced under warranty. I recently extended warranty for this reason, as a new fuel tanks is quite expensive.

As far as KTM bashing goes, we have a Duke 125 from 2016 in the household, which has been ridden to school through every winter since on salted roads, and not a single spec of rust on the whole bike and it still looks new when you wash it.  My T7 is significantly worse under the rust aspect and it's a bike that costs more than twice as much. 

My 15 yr old Yam MT03 660 also has no rust at all on it. Maybe because the new-gen Yamaha bikes are priced agressively, they have to cut some corners there I guess. 

What year is your T7?  US or EU?

New one and mad how fast it’s getting rust spots

bike hasn’t been driven yet and just in garage under cover 

46AA9526-3ACB-4056-8C20-CB085D1708F1.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, john_aero said:

Yeh uncovered mine this morning and was the same 

my spikes have ‘dulled’ to not rusty but grey 

Edited by Lewie

I said it before and i say it again, covers are killers.
When you live in a very dry and dusty environment a cover can be useful to keep dust off of it but when there is any kind of moist that gets trapped underneath and ends up worse than parking the bike in the rain.

• Like 2

I fully agree with @Ray Ride4life. I live in a tropical country and covered one of my bikes during a rainy season and all it did was increase the amount of deterioration on the seat. Plus lots of animals took shelter under the cover as well. Lizards especially. They are quite a surprise when they jump on your helmet after pulling out of the driveway.

Edited by Goody Boy
  • Haha 4

I totally agree but not keen on leaving my bike out on display to all - bike theft is still a problem in the uk 

I’ve seen a few but probably something I don’t really want adorning my front garden

in my previous house I had a lovely spacious garage when I had my XJR but since the divorce no such luxury- at least it’s off road

I have rear access but the T7 is pretty big  and the alleys pretty tight - I think it would put me of just nipping out on it 

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

I totally agree but not keen on leaving my bike out on display to all - bike theft is still a problem in the uk 

And the cover will let thieves think it's not a bike?

• Haha 1

It’s a deterrent- a deterrent 

if someone wants a bike they will take it whatever- sometimes I despair here 

10 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And the cover will let thieves think it's not a bike?

At least it's not directly visible - they might think it's just a scooter with very big wheels! 😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, john_aero said:

That's bad on a new bike, call the dealer

Mine is over 2 years old and isn't like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuncMan said:

Problem solved..

Plan doing similar myself, can you use this stuff on brake discs though?

have acf50 however don't like it anywhere near discs. might just wipe some on with a cloth

Edited by john_aero

I have 2 sheets over the bike in a dry garage, pretty much to keep eyes away from it and also to stop dust going over it when working on other projects

I don't use the phatic bike covers much as I agree with the lads it can have habit of holding moisture inside. 

its just bit disappointing to see corrosion on a bike that has yet to turn its wheels on the road. Dealer here wont give much of a toss i would assume however i will email them anyway with pics

Just now, DuncMan said:

I wouldn't wipe the discs with ACF 50. The product I used is certified to use on brake discs.

i keep acf away yes, but i was going wipe it on lower part not touching the pads.

that's good hear stuff you listed is safe on discs I may have to buy some

• Like 1

bottle of Bilt Hamber Atom Mac Migratory Contact Corrosion Inhibitor ordered along with a clay bar

I am putting a paint protection kit on bike

any tips on how to prevent rust under fuel tank?

ill be taking bike apart and sealing or protecting everything i can before gets out on the muddy trails

• Like 1

Just now, DuncMan said:

I’d put the same stuff on the underside of the tank. 

ill do that cheers

• Like 1