Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stoltec Moto Rear line ABS Delete

Stoltec Moto

• Supporting Vendor

Heat helps, but the right approach is a set of soft jaws in a GOOD vise and a cartridge holding tool. We offer a tool rental - email us for details. 

• Like 1

961362084_468x60Stoltec.png.007fa8bc922e0e30cea1cde037ff2aa2.png

stoltecmoto.com | 610.252.7232

The Stoltec Moto Build Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hello , after much reaching I can't seem to find any video or instruction on how to install this kit. I know I've seen some post and pictures of correct abs ports to block around.. Ive had the parts sitting around for a while hoping to get some guidance .. anybody have any or can point me in the right direction ?? 

@Stoltec Moto

Edited by AZJW
Moved from General Discussion and added @stoltec moto

not helpful, ant members have any experience  with installation

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Gary Dirt said:

Hello , after much reaching I can't seem to find any video or instruction on how to install this kit. I know I've seen some post and pictures of correct abs ports to block around.. Ive had the parts sitting around for a while hoping to get some guidance .. anybody have any or can point me in the right direction ?? 

@Stoltec Moto

Maybe it’s time we get back on that video we filmed two years ago…been too busy playing with Sur Rons and R7s…

Send us an email and we’ll set you straight. 

On 5/9/2023 at 6:34 AM, Stoltec Moto said:

Pm sent 

Maybe it’s time we get back on that video we filmed two years ago…been too busy playing with Sur Rons and R7s…

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question, is there an option for rubber lines?  I know that's blasphemy, but the ABS delete + less brake line to the calipers + dual rotors + steel line combo seems a lot stiffer than I would want off-road.   Maybe I'm overthinking it

edit: For the front

Edited by murkus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@murkusStoltec ghosted me a while back.

There's a weird cylinder thing in the kit that I don't understand the purpose of, but I capped off the ABS block and replaced the lines. I got an extra cap and plastic doodads that I hope were intended as extra stuff and not for something important. So far everything is working though. Parts were from Spiegler, so if I had a do-over I'd take measurements and go direct with them.

And I'm not an expert, but to answer your question the stiffness isn't an issue if sized properly. In the rear there's almost no movement and in the front it's still pretty minimal, and mesh has good flex.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, Stoltec Moto said:

Yes, maybe you should include instructions with your products instead of playing for two years.

advgoats.com

10 hours ago, random1781 said:

There's a weird cylinder thing in the kit that I don't understand the purpose of, but I capped off the ABS block and replaced the lines. I got an extra cap and plastic doodads that I hope were intended as extra stuff and not for something important. So far everything is working though. Parts were from Spiegler, so if I had a do-over I'd take measurements and go direct with them.

And I'm not an expert, but to answer your question the stiffness isn't an issue if sized properly. In the rear there's almost no movement and in the front it's still pretty minimal, and mesh has good flex.

Yes, maybe you should include instructions with your products instead of playing for two years.

I got some help from them via email when UPS messed up my shipment, they've been fine for me that way.  There's no obligation (or expectation from me) for vendors to keep up to date on every bike-specific forum.

That said, coincidentally, I tried to install the total ABS delete kit yesterday (just getting rid of the ABS solenoid completely).  I think I got the front pretty well figured out, but the rear line is a little awkward with the stock line guides.  I'll email them if I can't figure it out

"In the rear there's almost no movement"

Er, sorry, I meant I'm afraid that the brake feel would be too...harsh?  I like a little flex/give in the levers for offroad.  But I'll try it out and see how it feels :shrug:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Two @Stoltec Moto threads makes for some confusion.  Merging this one from General Discussion to their Supporting Vendor thread for continuity.

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Supporting Vendor
On 7/6/2023 at 11:39 PM, random1781 said:

If you sent an email to us and didn't get a response, we apologize.  If there was a missed post or PM on this site, we still apologize, but not as heartily.  Use our contact page for the best response.  Too many communications channels to monitor all these days!

As far as your comment about "playing for two years" - thanks for the feedback.  Will take that under consideration.  Ride safe!

On 7/6/2023 at 11:39 PM, random1781 said:

I spent a bit of time working thru how to perform the rear ABS delete with the Soltec kit and agree that more detailed instructions/photos would have likely sped up the process a bit but in the end it seems like it can only really install one way that makes sense.  I suspect the cylinder and plastic bits you mention that you weren't sure what were for were parts from Spiegler for rotating the fittings  if needed? Honestly I found them to be a bit fiddly but as I recall there was a blurb about how to use them that came with the kit.

https://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-fitting-alignment-tool.html.  

• Premium Member
On 2/11/2021 at 1:34 AM, Stoltec Moto said:

<Yawwwwwwwn>

Wakey wakey from the mid-winter's slumber.  Preoccupation with other projects has delayed this build thread for too long.  Despite 2+ feet of snow on the ground, spring isn't too far away, and it's time to kick this into high gear.  Plus, I need capture the things I've already done...before CRS settles in and I forget.  Posting on the internet has turned into a chore the past couple years for me, so please...engage with us on this post and keep the content flowing.  Lest I get sidetracked...again!

We'll start this thread with a minor history lesson.  Our Tenere 700 days actually go all the way back to the Tenere 1200 as-released here in the US back in 2011.  I had a couple friends at the time who fled from #sportbikelife to the big 'ol girl, and subsequently, fell in love.  Frankly, so did I.  Turns out, after we dialed in the suspension, that bike could really hustle.  Despite the 600 lb curb weight, it could run down much smaller/faster bikes on the right roads.  All the while being comfortable as hell.  I still dig it's purposeful good looks and the lack of a beak.

Fast forward a few years, we fell into the MT-09, XSR900, FJ-09, MT-10 hole - hard!  For good reason, too.  Yamaha knocked it out of the park on those bikes and they have been a (very) steady stream of business since 2013.  Tuning Yamahas has turned into our bread and butter, so as soon as the T7 was teased, we were instantly intrigued.  In fact, I'll admit, a little too intrigued.  We had a 'good' source within Yamaha who insisted that the T7 wasn't far off from a US release (-joke's on you, Stoltec!), so we sold our project FZ-10 in order to make room for the new project.  Turns out that was more than a little premature.

So when the Tenere 700 was announced for the rest of the world, I'll be honest - I was more than a little irritated.  From my self-centered point of view, I was miffed that our European and Australian brothers would have earlier access to the bike for development.  It's hard to remain in business when others have a substantial head start.  But be that as it may, we put a deposit down when the US pre-order was announced.  Figured it would still be a kick ass bike to challenge the orange wave from Austria.

And then COVID hit in March.  No one wants to relive 2020, so I'll spare the details and leave it at "things were uncertain".  Not so much for Stoltec Moto, but for motorcycling in general.  Leading up to 2020, motorcycle sales were (generally) cratering and aftermarket sales were waning (although lagging the sales curve).  Many theories abound, but that's a story for another day.  So, we did what any apocalypse-fearing motorcyclist would do, and we postponed our pre-order to re-evaluate at a later date.  And, as we now now, social distancing coupled with summer and an unprecedented in-flow of government stimulus boosted the motorcycle market.  2020 ended up blowing our projections out of the water...so what the hell, roll the dice with the baby Tenere!

Every post needs a picture, so here's an obligatory short on the first day.

Day1bike.jpg.a36151cefb3aa37cea9f485a71195d10.jpg

And for proof, note the mileage on the cluster...

Day1.thumb.jpg.e031065553570ac187f02633e6a2d843.jpg

And like all good things, it'll never be this clean again.  I'd be lying if a little piece of me didn't die when the first spec of dust hit this adventure bike...

Good to see that you bought one and a blue one at that ☺️.

8 hours ago, Windblown said:

I spent a bit of time working thru how to perform the rear ABS delete with the Soltec kit and agree that more detailed instructions/photos would have likely sped up the process a bit but in the end it seems like it can only really install one way that makes sense.  I suspect the cylinder and plastic bits you mention that you weren't sure what were for were parts from Spiegler for rotating the fittings  if needed? Honestly I found them to be a bit fiddly but as I recall there was a blurb about how to use them that came with the kit.

https://spieglerusa.com/brake-line-fitting-alignment-tool.html.  

Just got mine done today, I ended up just making/scrounging a couple line guides, otherwise seemed to be okay.  Just by messing with it, the rear brake is hard. I can see myself finding a rubber line to ease it a bit in the future, but that's a guesstimation 

edit: I also suck at bleeding dual front calipers, soooo those might stay pretty soft 😋

Edited by murkus

Update, I was wondering how exactly the bike would react to the removal of the solenoid.  I was hoping for just a check engine light (mine's already on because of a tune, taped over in the picture for no particular reason), but nope, "err", constant 0 MPH reading and no odometer change.  For reference, I removed the rear ABS sensor and left the front ABS sensor installed.  

image.jpeg.8cc6e93af4a6705c03d23d639bf6a4fc.jpeg

edit: Confirmed, you need the solenoid and front ABS sensor for it to not freak out.  The $200+ price tag for the various replacement plugin units (that I'm guessing is $3 of resistors and maybe a chip) is pretty hard to swallow.  I tried to disassemble the solenoid to maybe just take whatever electronics is in there and try, but it's pretty tightly assembled, and I don't want to destroy it.  Bleh.  

Edited by murkus

• 2 months later...

I am looking at doing the rear delete with SS lines. (front is already done and I want to keep it connected to the abs). 

If I isolate the rear by running the brake line from the MC to the Caliper (bypassing the ABS pump). What are people using to plug the pump holes for the two rear lines below?image.png.6aa40ffffe9ec5719f80e91a4e5bfec8.png

6 hours ago, onekickkawi said:

I am looking at doing the rear delete with SS lines. (front is already done and I want to keep it connected to the abs). 

If I isolate the rear by running the brake line from the MC to the Caliper (bypassing the ABS pump). What are people using to plug the pump holes for the two rear lines below?image.png.6aa40ffffe9ec5719f80e91a4e5bfec8.png

Just button head bolts with the oem washer

5 minutes ago, Mortaygo said:

Just button head bolts with the oem washer

awesome thank you. That's what I figured but wanted to check. I'm Not installing the lines for 4 days.

• 1 month later...

Installed the full kit (w/Rear ABS Delete) yesterday. Pretty straight forward install. Bleeding was fairly painless. Dropped ~2lbs of piping and unnecessary hose.

Lever feel is firm. No test ride here in the north today; maybe later this week.