Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wind & buffeting

Timster

Hey everyone, 

I recently purchased my dream combination... T7 + Arai Tour X4/ XD4.

However... My dream is turning out to be a nightmare. After every single ride I have the worst of headaches caused by buffeting. 

I refuse to believe the problem is the helmet as this combination is one I have seen before and I simply can't imagine anyone tolerating the buffeting like this. I have seen plenty of topics about this issue, (also on this forum,) but no clear solution.

Anyone had the same helmet/bike/problem combination? And if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

Edit: I have the standard seat and I'm +-180cm (5'9)

Edited by Timster

I must admit I read about this but never experienced it 

6’2 with rally seat - that’s it - recently did 1200 miles a cross Europe - no issues 

I originally noticed heavy drumming/buffeting at highways speeds on my stock T7 with my Shoei X2 Hornet. Around town commuting it's not an issue, I wear earplug 100% of the time anyways. But highways got rough after an hour.

I originally tried the National Cycle VStream Sport windshield, that didn't help much. Then I added the Puig Clip-On visor to the VStream, also didn't help much.

I just did a long trip and only added the Puig Clip-On to my stock screen and tilted the Puig towards me somewhere around 50° (if I was 0° and the open road is 180°).  That worked just fine and I was able to ride 4-8 hour days without any headaches/after-affects. 

As many smarter people have mentioned in the several threads re: this subject, the problem is the dirty, non-laminar flow coming off the (almost) bolt-upright stock screen. Everybody's solutions will vary due to our body sizes, helmets, etc. The Puig clip on is the only thing that's worked for me personally, so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that changing the little clear winglets to some bigger ones would also help my personal cause, as extensive hwy wind testing with my hand has shown that I get a bunch of dirty air from those side pcs as well. But for now I'm happy with the Puig solution.

Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, TeneRico700 said:

I originally noticed heavy drumming/buffeting at highways speeds on my stock T7 with my Shoei X2 Hornet. Around town commuting it's not an issue, I wear earplug 100% of the time anyways. But highways got rough after an hour.

I originally tried the National Cycle VStream Sport windshield, that didn't help much. Then I added the Puig Clip-On visor to the VStream, also didn't help much.

I just did a long trip and only added the Puig Clip-On to my stock screen and tilted the Puig towards me somewhere around 50° (if I was 0° and the open road is 180°).  That worked just fine and I was able to ride 4-8 hour days without any headaches/after-affects. 

As many smarter people have mentioned in the several threads re: this subject, the problem is the dirty, non-laminar flow coming off the (almost) bolt-upright stock screen. Everybody's solutions will vary due to our body sizes, helmets, etc. The Puig clip on is the only thing that's worked for me personally, so far. I have a sneaking suspicion that changing the little clear winglets to some bigger ones would also help my personal cause, as extensive hwy wind testing with my hand has shown that I get a bunch of dirty air from those side pcs as well. But for now I'm happy with the Puig solution.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply man. I was thinking about this already. But I want to see what other options there are before I start spending more money. The helmet already hurt a tiny bit in the wallet but it protects the temple so what can I say...

But we're in agreement that it's most def the motorcycle/windshield and not the helmet, right?

2 minutes ago, Timster said:

Thanks for your reply man. I was thinking about this already. But I want to see what other options there are before I start spending more money. The helmet already hurt a tiny bit in the wallet but it protects the temple so what can I say...

But we're in agreement that it's most def the motorcycle/windshield and not the helmet, right?

I personally think so, yes! I had an old Shoei RF1100 originally and got the same drumming. Even when I remove the peak from my current X2 Hornet, I still get it.

Try the Puig first as it's one of the "cheaper" options (still $180 CDN 🤮)

42 minutes ago, TeneRico700 said:

I personally think so, yes! I had an old Shoei RF1100 originally and got the same drumming. Even when I remove the peak from my current X2 Hornet, I still get it.

Try the Puig first as it's one of the "cheaper" options (still $180 CDN 🤮)

A friend of mine has a Puig clip-on so I can test that one first for free, hopefully 😛 

The level of disappointment is great considering I came from a Honda Hornet and expected absolute comfort on this one now 😂

Edited by Timster
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Timster said:

A friend of mine has a Puig clip-on so I can test that one first for free, hopefully 😛 

The level of disappointment is great considering I came from a Hornet and expected absolute comfort on this one now 😂

I have a Tour X 4 too and the buffeting was awful, like your are experiencing with headaches

i added windscreen adjusters and a VStream screen

i Aldi added a screen spoiler too 

Now it’s acceptable, not great ….but acceptable

I also wear a Shoei Neotec helmet and it’s marginally better than a peaked helmet

Seat comfort (lack of) and poor wind protection are the two greatest Achilles heels on the Tenere 700

However I had an hour on a Ducati Desert X and that was even more uncomfortable than a Tenere 700, plus the screen & wind management is far worse than our bikes 

1 minute ago, JB700 said:

I have a Tour X 4 too and the buffeting was awful, like your are experiencing with headaches

i added windscreen adjusters and a VStream screen

i Aldi added a screen spoiler too 

Now it’s acceptable, not great ….but acceptable

I also wear a Shoei Neotec helmet and it’s marginally better than a peaked helmet

Seat comfort (lack of) and poor wind protection are the two greatest Achilles heels on the Tenere 700

However I had an hour on a Ducati Desert X and that was even more uncomfortable than a Tenere 700, plus the screen & wind management is far worse than our bikes 

Hey thanks for your reply. 

When you say windscreen adjusters you're talking about the height adjusters? 

So you have a new screen + spoiler + height adjuster?

Had same issue, I feel your pain. Things that I tried:

- oem spoiler

- height adjuster

- home made lexan screen

- super tall givi screen

- rotating various screens upside down (mounting just 2 screws or zipties)

- larger side screens

- different helmet (hjc rpha 90s carbon as it seemed quietest in some test)

- various earplugs including nonoise expensive ones

- any possible combination of these

I end up riding like this and it's best solution for me, even highway 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20230808_203611.jpg.532ccc26254e8f1c26c5e6ed23f2f0c4.jpg

$27 bolt on deflector did it for me (and a lot of others)

I was surprised and happy.

Clamps look cheap, but once bolted on they are fine.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Timster, should’ve had a good read before parting with the cash for the helmet. Plenty of threads about the noise. The air comes off the front of the bike right up into the helmet at the ears (left mainly for me). I’ve had three screens, and an adjuster on all three. Stop the air getting up there with something, and get seriously good earplugs. The lower screen is better for me. Less buffeting but still very noisy. Painfully sometimes. It’s these modern attempts at having space at the ears (probably for earphones etc). I’m an arai man, but the tour x 4 is a nightmare. I’ll go arai street next or seriously inspect the next helmet for sound deadening at the ears. 

2 minutes ago, Dougie said:

@Timster, should’ve had a good read before parting with the cash for the helmet. Plenty of threads about the noise. The air comes off the front of the bike right up into the helmet at the ears (left mainly for me). I’ve had three screens, and an adjuster on all three. Stop the air getting up there with something, and get seriously good earplugs. The lower screen is better for me. Less buffeting but still very noisy. Painfully sometimes. It’s these modern attempts at having space at the ears (probably for earphones etc). I’m an arai man, but the tour x 4 is a nightmare. I’ll go arai street next or seriously inspect the next helmet for sound deadening at the ears. 

The thing is that when I stand up, the windnoise is completely acceptable. I can literally stand up at 130kph and have less windnoise than while I'm sitting. So there has to be a way to work around that!
I know the helmet won't be as quiet as a regular Arai helmet, or any other regular helmet most likely. But windnoise can be blocked with earplugs. Buffeting is the biggest culprit of my issues unfortunately...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

I will try a spoiler for sure. Hopefully will do the trick for me too 🤞

2 hours ago, Timster said:

Hey thanks for your reply. 

When you say windscreen adjusters you're talking about the height adjusters? 

So you have a new screen + spoiler + height adjuster?

Yes, that’s right 

IMG_5236.jpeg

6'-0" Arai XD4 lots of buffeting same as you.

Tried one of those 4" adjustable risers for the stock screen.  Some help but buffeting still an issue in all the different positions.

Eventually I made a 2nd windscreen that sits behind the stock screen to cover the hole created when running the windscreen in the high position.

There are many posts on this site on how to make one.  I just cut a piece of plastic I had laying around and zip tied it to the windscreen bracket. 

No more buffeting and I am very happy with the result.

Not my video, but here is a link to one I stumbled across that shows what to do.

2 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Works well for me too 👍

6 hours ago, Timster said:

Hey everyone, 

I recently purchased my dream combination... T7 + Arai Tour X4/ XD4.

However... My dream is turning out to be a nightmare. After every single ride I have the worst of headaches caused by buffeting. 

I refuse to believe the problem is the helmet as this combination is one I have seen before and I simply can't imagine anyone tolerating the buffeting like this. I have seen plenty of topics about this issue, (also on this forum,) but no clear solution.

Anyone had the same helmet/bike/problem combination? And if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

Edit: I have the standard seat and I'm +-180cm (5'9)

Effective wind management is complicated & frustrating with the T7.  The 3 major contributors are 1) the mostly vertical & distant positioning of the narrow, non-adjustable windscreen relative to the rider, 2) poor laminar flow up the inside of the windscreen resulting in dirty air coming off the upper edge (buffeting) & 3) spill over air around the sides of the windscreen that draw air up the forks directly under the rider's helmet creating noise.  There is no one solution because of so many variables, but lots more detailed info can be read here & hopefully something that might work for you & your set up & riding: 

• Like 1

🤔

183cm tall. Ride in either XD4 or VX Pro 4. Using rally seat.

No issues except slight neck ache after a long day. Probably the weight of the helmet

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

A shorter screen.

Everything was fixed for me with a WRS Sport screen.

(Rally seat + 189cm tall)

1D0B5C4C-B79A-40CE-B8D3-793D0EF6BE05.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timster said:

The thing is that when I stand up, the windnoise is completely acceptable. I can literally stand up at 130kph and have less windnoise than while I'm sitting. So there has to be a way to work around that!
I know the helmet won't be as quiet as a regular Arai helmet, or any other regular helmet most likely. But windnoise can be blocked with earplugs. Buffeting is the biggest culprit of my issues unfortunately...

Yeah I know, I even tried removing the screen completely. The shorter screen is definitely the best way to go to stop the buffeting for taller riders. Then it’s just the wind roar. In winter I used a buff/head over  around my neck and face and it helped. 
try moving your left hand under the lower rim of the helmet to see the difference. It’s nuts. 
curiously enough, the faster you go, the less effect is felt probably as the air is pushed further out around you. So there’s one option. 100mph everywhere. 😁🍺

1 minute ago, Dougie said:

Yeah I know, I even tried removing the screen completely. The shorter screen is definitely the best way to go to stop the buffeting for taller riders. Then it’s just the wind roar. In winter I used a buff/head over  around my neck and face and it helped. 
try moving your left hand under the lower rim of the helmet to see the difference. It’s nuts. 
curiously enough, the faster you go, the less effect is felt probably as the air is pushed further out around you. So there’s one option. 100mph everywhere. 😁🍺

Today I'm going to test two things. A spoiler from GiVi and that's the one I can test today. Hopefully it does the same job as the Puig ones even though it's a different mechanism to clip it on.
And I'll drive to the store without my windshield on so hopefully that gives me an idea too. 🤞

• Like 1

11 hours ago, williestreet said:

6'-0" Arai XD4 lots of buffeting same as you.

Tried one of those 4" adjustable risers for the stock screen.  Some help but buffeting still an issue in all the different positions.

Eventually I made a 2nd windscreen that sits behind the stock screen to cover the hole created when running the windscreen in the high position.

There are many posts on this site on how to make one.  I just cut a piece of plastic I had laying around and zip tied it to the windscreen bracket. 

No more buffeting and I am very happy with the result.

Not my video, but here is a link to one I stumbled across that shows what to do.

Thanks man. So you just kept the stock windshield, unlike the guy in the video, yes? That would be the cheapest solution I think.