Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wind & buffeting

Timster

1 minute ago, Leojb said:

The XD-4 is horrible on the T7.  I just remove the peak when doing lots of highway miles.  Still pretty noisy, but its absolutely unbearable with the peak on.  I'm probably also going to cut down the stock screen, just like I did with my KTM990.  As others have mentioned, the helmet is pretty quite when standing up in clean air.  Its the combination of the helmet and T7 that causes the problem.

Yes but even with the sport screen it didn't do anything major for me. The buffeting was gone but still way too loud. And removing the peak didn't make sense to me as I literally bought the helmet for the looks of it 😄 

Update on the wider side deflectors: I tried the ones from Puig and noticed almost no difference to nothing at all. So I instantly returned those. If you're a wider rider than me you could possibly benefit a tiny bit from it but I don't think it will change much for anyone.

Puig clip-on spoiler will be tested properly tomorrow and compared to riding without it. I had a first ride with it already and it looked promising. Most def looks better than a higher touring screen. 

I removed my screen completely and will take it out for a test ride this weekend.  If it works I will start cutting down the height of the stock screen in 2- 3cm increments.  But I'll definitely wait for your feedback on the spoiler.  BTW I'm about 175cm.

1 minute ago, Leojb said:

I removed my screen completely and will take it out for a test ride this weekend.  If it works I will start cutting down the height of the stock screen in 2- 3cm increments.  But I'll definitely wait for your feedback on the spoiler.  BTW I'm about 175cm.

Spoiler + stock screen didnt work, I really think it has to do with the opening underneath the stock screen.

I can tell you this much already though: smaller sport screen made a lot of difference. I'm perfectly happy riding the T7 with the low Puig screen. The spoiler would just be that little bit of extra comfort on the highway hopefully.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:28 PM, Timster said:

I just tested the Givi spoiler and unfortunately it didn't fix anything... image.png.6ecee11d25c9a16e1cd2ddc30ed8a5b4.png

Riding without any windshield at all completely removed the buffetting but I still receive an unhealthy amount of wind. So this is also not a possibility... I guess the lower screen is the next thing I'll try. This is all going to be very costly I'm afraid 😄 

Strange, I am 6'1 with a 31" inseam (so a longer body) and I found the Givi spoiler works well for me, try adjusting the rake/height/angle

Ok guys, thanks for all the feedback. I think I found my final setup!

Low Puig sport screen +  Puig clip-on visor is the way to go.  The clip-on made a massive difference in comparison to just the smaller sport screen.  Just a tiny bit of air on the top of the helmet. 

The sportscreen alone was enough to fix the buffeting completely but you catch all the air and it could get noisy on the highway. It is clear air though. So on hot days this might even be the best option! 

• Like 1

I also bought the Puig low screen and just took the bike out for a test ride.  While not perfect, the buffeting/noise is much better.  I can definitely ride the bike wearing my XD-4 now!  Thanks to all.

4 hours ago, Leojb said:

I also bought the Puig low screen and just took the bike out for a test ride.  While not perfect, the buffeting/noise is much better.  I can definitely ride the bike wearing my XD-4 now!  Thanks to all.

Yup, and now add on the extra spoiler and you'll be amazed by how much difference it makes! Basically matches the height of the original screen but it works so well... 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2023 at 4:06 PM, DanDoesStunts said:

A shorter screen.

Everything was fixed for me with a WRS Sport screen.

(Rally seat + 189cm tall)

1D0B5C4C-B79A-40CE-B8D3-793D0EF6BE05.jpeg

Can't tell from the picture. Did you add the wider WRS side deflectors of just change to the lower screen? 

Just the sport screen I think.

Another update guys: The sport screen + spoiler is absolute magic. I can ride in any circumstances now, at any speed with any type of helmet. It's crazy how good that combination works.

I also tried the spoiler again on my original screen but it still has mad buffetting issues. I believe it has to do with the gap under the original screen but I can't confirm it.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:01 AM, Timster said:

Just the sport screen I think.

Another update guys: The sport screen + spoiler is absolute magic. I can ride in any circumstances now, at any speed with any type of helmet. It's crazy how good that combination works.

I also tried the spoiler again on my original screen but it still has mad buffetting issues. I believe it has to do with the gap under the original screen but I can't confirm it.

Sorry if you've answered elsewhere but just curious how tall you are, which seat you are running and which spoiler?

The buffeting is really driving me completely insane too unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, waffl said:

Sorry if you've answered elsewhere but just curious how tall you are, which seat you are running and which spoiler?

The buffeting is really driving me completely insane too unfortunately.

I'm 181cm, pretty long legs. Standard seat. Puig sport screen + spoiler.

Would've gone for a slightly wider spoiler next time (i think), but this one does the trick too.

Have you tried to close the gap under the original screen with a piece of a facemask or something?

image.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, Timster said:

I'm 181cm, pretty long legs. Standard seat. Puig sport screen + spoiler.

Would've gone for a slightly wider spoiler next time (i think), but this one does the trick too.

Have you tried to close the gap under the original screen with a piece of a facemask or something?

image.png

image.png

Thanks for the quick response! I'm much shorter, 172cm, low seat - so I'm worried I'm just the worst size for the bike - unable to find a clean spot of air anywhere.

I've tried the MRA touring screen and wider powerbronze side deflectors with no luck, I'm about to try the puig touring screen to try to get clean air since as others have mentioned, standing up in the clean air is essentially silent in comparison to the buffeting.

Then I'll test also closing the gap, but desperate for a solution because anything over 90kmh is bad and 120km+ is unbearable

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, waffl said:

Thanks for the quick response! I'm much shorter, 172cm, low seat - so I'm worried I'm just the worst size for the bike - unable to find a clean spot of air anywhere.

I've tried the MRA touring screen and wider powerbronze side deflectors with no luck, I'm about to try the puig touring screen to try to get clean air since as others have mentioned, standing up in the clean air is essentially silent in comparison to the buffeting.

Then I'll test also closing the gap, but desperate for a solution because anything over 90kmh is bad and 120km+ is unbearable

I think (!) you misunderstood clean air. Clean air is the air you get hitting your body/helmet on like lets say.. A naked bike without screen. Or when you stand up on a bike. It's everywhere, it's not concentrated in certain spots caused by it deflecting of a screen. 

The "clean air" you're talking  about is in fact a bubble you're trying to create behind a screen that is windfree. 

Sportscreen will give you a better chance of clean air, but the touring screen could do miracles for you considering you're smaller. 

(I tried the touring screen, it was ok for me but no complete bubble) Just looks crappy 😄 

But please, try closing the gap below the OEM screen first. For some this fixed the issue. All aftermarket screens also have the gap closed there...

Edited by Timster

19 minutes ago, waffl said:

Where are you located? I have a Puig touring screen that I'm trying to get rid off. It creates a weird vibration on my helmet peak but I'm 190cm tall.  If you can use it, it is yours for the cost of shipping. I'm in Adelaide, Australia.

That's why you always buy on amazon guys, you can just return it after testing it for a few weeks!

16 hours ago, Timster said:

That's why you always buy on amazon guys, you can just return it after testing it for a few weeks!

Or you could support your local businesses so that in future they're still in operation and can supply you with that obscure thing you really need that Amazon doesn't carry.

5 hours ago, luke29ermtb said:

Or you could support your local businesses so that in future they're still in operation and can supply you with that obscure thing you really need that Amazon doesn't carry.

Don't worry buddy. As long as there's people like you overpaying like crazy in those stores and aren't able to return their items, they won't cease to exist 🙂

I added a  picture to show you a +-30% difference.  Have fun overpaying!

PS: If you're only here to comment on how you think it's not cool to buy from amazon, just keep your posts to yourself - I gave the tip so people wouldn't be throwing away money. xxxxxxx

Edit: the nearest "local store" for me is a 1,5h drive too 😉 Didn't even count the mileage on my car/motorcycle, the gas used or the time lost. But hey, keep giving your opinion about local stores to other people, I'm sure you'll be able to convince someone without having a single F^*@#%^! clue about their situation.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Timster

1 hour ago, Timster said:

Don't worry buddy. As long as there's people like you overpaying like crazy in those stores and aren't able to return their items, they won't cease to exist 🙂

I added a  picture to show you a +-30% difference.  Have fun overpaying!

PS: If you're only here to comment on how you think it's not cool to buy from amazon, just keep your posts to yourself - I gave the tip so people wouldn't be throwing away money. xxxxxxx

Edit: the nearest "local store" for me is a 1,5h drive too 😉 Didn't even count the mileage on my car/motorcycle, the gas used or the time lost. But hey, keep giving your opinion about local stores to other people, I'm sure you'll be able to convince someone without having a single F^*@#%^! clue about their situation.

image.png

image.png

LOL! Onya mate. All upset because someone offered a different perspective. And before you made the assumption that I'm just here to say it isn't cool to buy from Amazon, maybe you should have read a little more. 

Open your eyes and have a look around. You complain that your 'local store' is a 1.5 hour drive away. You're in Belgium where the distances between towns aren't exactly huge so why would that be? There used to be motorbike shops everywhere. Where have they gone? Why have they gone? The shop where I bought my T7 is for sale. Do you think that's because they're making heaps of money from chumps like me buying stuff from them?

Next time you're in a motorbike shop, have a look at the demographic of the customers. I was in one last weekend (picking up a part that there's no way in hell I could get from Amazon)  and the few people that were in there were all over 50, including the staff. Next time you attend an organised ADV ride or watch one on Youtube, have a look at the demographic of the riders. The average age is over 50. How many motorbike shops do you think will be open in 10-15 years time if we don't support them?

When all the bike shops are gone and Yamaha is selling direct to consumer (just look at the bicycle industry for a clue to where we're headed), are you going to box up your T7 and send it back to Yamaha or some online retailer for a warranty claim?

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, luke29ermtb said:

Where are you located? I have a Puig touring screen that I'm trying to get rid off. It creates a weird vibration on my helmet peak but I'm 190cm tall.  If you can use it, it is yours for the cost of shipping. I'm in Adelaide, Australia.

Hey @waffl I was serious. I'm happy to give you the touring screen. It might work well for you given your height and it would be much better on your bike than taking up space in my shed. If it doesn't work for you, give it someone else.

22 hours ago, luke29ermtb said:

Hey @waffl I was serious. I'm happy to give you the touring screen. It might work well for you given your height and it would be much better on your bike than taking up space in my shed. If it doesn't work for you, give it someone else.

Hi! It’d be hugely appreciated, I’ll send you a message!