Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wind & buffeting

Timster

I've spent years battling buffeting on more than a few bikes and I don't mean normal wind. I mean feeling like your head is in the paint shaker at your local Ace Hardware! MHO is...

1) Wear a super tight or perfect fitting helmet. Any play or movement with your helmet will magnify any wind and cause buffeting. If you live in a state where it's legal, try taking off your helmet and go for a ride. Buffeting will disappear.

2) Run the shortest windscreen you can find or none at all. You want your head in clean air.

I was getting some on my T7 and I mounted a Puig Sport Shield. Takes off about 3" from the stock shield and just covers the top mounting bar. My head is now in clean air. I'm 5'11.

3) Next thing is the mirrors. Remove them and take a ride. Cleans things up even more. If you have sturdy hand guards and run RAM mount mirrors, you can move them out and mount them to the guards. That's my plan.

Wishing anyone that has this problem some good luck. I've sold bikes over this. Its a drag for sure.

• Thanks 1

I have the same Amazon clip on that @Hibobb does mounted to the stock windscreen. 

With a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet, it was OK but still quite noisy.  I replaced that helmet with a Shoei Hornet X2 and all the noise and buffeting went away.   The XD4 is a great helmet, but not the best choice FOR ME with long road sections to get to the trails. 

I run the clip on parallel to the windscreen.  At slower speeds in warm weather, I have it in a low position.  On the highway, I run it in the higher position, but always parallel to the windscreen.  Works great for me.  I'm 6'2" with a short torso and long legs on the Rally seat. 

24 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I have the same Amazon clip on that @Hibobb does mounted to the stock windscreen. 

With a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet, it was OK but still quite noisy.  I replaced that helmet with a Shoei Hornet X2 and all the noise and buffeting went away.   The XD4 is a great helmet, but not the best choice FOR ME with long road sections to get to the trails. 

I run the clip on parallel to the windscreen.  At slower speeds in warm weather, I have it in a low position.  On the highway, I run it in the higher position, but always parallel to the windscreen.  Works great for me.  I'm 6'2" with a short torso and long legs on the Rally seat. 

I just tested the Givi spoiler and unfortunately it didn't fix anything... image.png.6ecee11d25c9a16e1cd2ddc30ed8a5b4.png

Riding without any windshield at all completely removed the buffetting but I still receive an unhealthy amount of wind. So this is also not a possibility... I guess the lower screen is the next thing I'll try. This is all going to be very costly I'm afraid 😄 

I've found that the only solution on the T7 for noise/buffeting is to cut down the stock screen to match the cross bar. I have tried EVERYTHING (anyone want a tall MRA smoked screen, and smoked winglets - used once? pm me for a screamin' deal) including 3 different helmets and getting clean clear air to my helmet was the only solution.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

11 hours ago, Timster said:

Thanks man. So you just kept the stock windshield, unlike the guy in the video, yes? That would be the cheapest solution I think.

Stock windscreen with Altrider adjustable windscreen risers.

Small plastic sheet covering the bottom opening extending up to the crossbar.

Doesn't fix everything but it is much better than stock.

The XD4 is not the quietest helmet but if your helmet has a peak you are going to get vibration and noise caused by the turbulent air running over the peak.  My normal street helmet is considerably quieter than the Arai.  

1 mile ride or 300 mile ride, doesn't matter the length I always wear earplugs.  

FBA916D1-274B-4424-BEBB-388AA8FFA333_4_5005_c.jpeg

D28DE344-AAE4-4B71-A3F5-4C5613685CED_4_5005_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, williestreet said:

The XD4 is not the quietest helmet but if your helmet has a peak you are going to get vibration and noise caused by the turbulent air running over the peak.  

I thought this was true until I got the Shoei Hornet X2.  I am not getting any vibration or noise at any speed. 

Quick update for the ones sharing the same problems:

- Higher screen from Puig --> only placed the buffeting a bit higher, body was comfortable, head wasn't

- Higher screen from Puig +  "built in" spoiler --> this made everything supercomfortable on the body. Torso completely out of the wind. However, in combination with the Arai XD4 it still was loud as f*** on the highway when sitting up straight, so the spoiler still didnt reach high enough. I had to change my seating position to that of a racing motorcycle and duck below the visor--> no thanks

- Lower screen from Puig seems to fix all buffeting problems but puts you in the wind a bit more. And I don't know if it was extra windy in the last couple of days, but it really exposes you.  If you don't mind that, this is probably the way to go. In hot weather this will be very welcome. A quiet helmet + earbuds and you're set.

This latter is also the solution I went for in combination with returning the Arai helmet... I tried everything to convince myself the Arai helmet was the one for me as it looks crazy good. But I think my ears will be thankful that I returned it. The helmet is very loud, even with racing earbuds in...

I can now start my journey all over with a new helmet #soon

• Like 1

I now have a big fear of ADV helmets but they look so good... Guess I'll try that one out too 😂

14 hours ago, Timster said:

I now have a big fear of ADV helmets but they look so good... Guess I'll try that one out too 😂

Shops should have a massive fan to try helmets out. As they don’t, ask em to drive you around the courtyard in a car with your head out the window 😁
there really should be a better way of testing a helmet rather than just being allowed to try it for size in the shop.  

1 minute ago, Dougie said:

Shops should have a massive fan to try helmets out. As they don’t, ask em to drive you around the courtyard in a car with your head out the window 😁
there really should be a better way of testing a helmet rather than just being allowed to try it for size in the shop.  

Our local store allows you to take the helmet out for a ride. Only problem is that they charge every helmet at the full price & don't stock Arai. 
So I ended up buying the Arai helmet from the internet at a way cheaper price than the normal one... I did fit it in a different store but didn't test it on the road...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, r1superstar said:

WRS low windscreen plus wider side deflectors.  Dirt bike helmet and goggles, Idaho BDR, 102mph on the pavement.  Wind problem SOLVED!!!

Hey thanks for your reply. Did you try the whole setup together instantly, or did you add the wider side deflectors on later? 

Also, what is BDR? (honestly don't have a clue) 

Edit: Just googled it, Backcountry Discovery Route. This is unknown for me as I'm from Europe 😄

Edited by Timster

I'm 6'2" and have the rally seat. My solution for wind buffeting was to get the Puig Touring Screen and mount it on adjustable risers. For example, today a buddy and I went for a 200 km ride is very strong and gusting winds and this setup provided pretty good protection. Before the ride I raised the windscreen to its highest position for max wind protection (normally I ride with it in the lowest position as the Puig Windscreen is already tall) and it worked very well, other than for extremely strong cross-winds that were almost blowing me off the road a few times! I found that in crazy wind conditions that if I hunched behind the screen that it was easier for me to go in a straightish line 😆. Even with the Puig at this highest position I still have clear eyesight over the top. In normal conditions I find this setup is pretty good, although there is still some mild buffeting, but then we are riding motorcycles, are we not?

8 minutes ago, YukonPete said:

I'm 6'2" and have the rally seat. My solution for wind buffeting was to get the Puig Touring Screen and mount it on adjustable risers. For example, today a buddy and I went for a 200 km ride is very strong and gusting winds and this setup provided pretty good protection. Before the ride I raised the windscreen to its highest position for max wind protection (normally I ride with it in the lowest position as the Puig Windscreen is already tall) and it worked very well, other than for extremely strong cross-winds that were almost blowing me off the road a few times! I found that in crazy wind conditions that if I hunched behind the screen that it was easier for me to go in a straightish line 😆. Even with the Puig at this highest position I still have clear eyesight over the top. In normal conditions I find this setup is pretty good, although there is still some mild buffeting, but then we are riding motorcycles, are we not?

I had the Puig touring screen too but it didn't do the trick for me... I guess it also had to do with the helmet. Both are gone now. Plus it's also about the looks, I simply didn't like the higher screen.

I don't mind a bit of wind as I'm used to riding naked bikes and dirtbikes but I never experienced any buffeting before... So this one was hard to accept as the T7 was the most expensive bike I ever got 😂

Edited by Timster
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Wanted to chip in, had my tenere from September 22, and it took me 5000km to figure out the buffeting problem. Now I'm very pleased with the puig supermoto screen and additional deflector positioned in most horizontal position possible. Now i get a very clen air into helmet, adv or road helmet, makes no difference. Im 188cm and before this setup i tried raisers with original screen, touring screen almost sold the bike. The result was better with the supermoto screen, but the deflector took the buffeting away up to 130-140kmh... Will take a photo of the set up when I get home if anybody is interested. 

Regards, Peter K. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Timster said:

Hey thanks for your reply. Did you try the whole setup together instantly, or did you add the wider side deflectors on later? 

Also, what is BDR? (honestly don't have a clue) 

Edit: Just googled it, Backcountry Discovery Route. This is unknown for me as I'm from Europe 😄

I changed them both at the same time.  Works Great for me!  I'm 6' tall with a long torso; 31" inseam, 175lbs.

22 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I think I’ll be joining you guys with the wider side deflectors. 

They are totally worth it IMHO.

Just now, r1superstar said:

They are totally worth it IMHO.

Have you ever tried the original side deflectors & just the sportscreen? I only have the lower screen and for now this seems like the way to go but there's always room for improvement I guess.

6 hours ago, Timster said:

Have you ever tried the original side deflectors & just the sportscreen? I only have the lower screen and for now this seems like the way to go but there's always room for improvement I guess.

Ok I just ordered bigger deflectors & a clip on for the sport screen. Will be delivered tomorrow, can't wait!

I also installed big side deflectors, but noticed no difference with buffeting, but the "cockpit" was with almost no wind at all, so i guess for the winter this is the way to go. 

11 minutes ago, Krachun said:

I also installed big side deflectors, but noticed no difference with buffeting, but the "cockpit" was with almost no wind at all, so i guess for the winter this is the way to go. 

In combination with the original screen?

39 minutes ago, Krachun said:

No, with supermoto screen and top deflector. 

IMG_20230801_123309.jpg

I'm starting to think that the only thing that had to be done was to close the gap of the original screen. Probably the cheapest fix. 

image.png.d357b567d90d8448d05a2847210b49ef.png This part right here

• Like 2

The XD-4 is horrible on the T7.  I just remove the peak when doing lots of highway miles.  Still pretty noisy, but its absolutely unbearable with the peak on.  I'm probably also going to cut down the stock screen, just like I did with my KTM990.  As others have mentioned, the helmet is pretty quite when standing up in clean air.  Its the combination of the helmet and T7 that causes the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1