Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Removing dB-Eater at Tenere 700 Acrapovic Exhaust

bikeever

On 2/6/2021 at 1:34 AM, James said:

My Yamaha dealer told me there is an Acropovic no-cat header available and a widget to re-map the fueling. Maybe this can also mitigate against the leaner result of taking the db-killer out?

I find the acrpovic disappointingly quiet so am interested in all of the above.

Above kit is expensive though...

Here is the kit I plan to fit once my bike is out of warranty (and I've saved up enough cash).

1 - Fit Acrapovic no-cat header

2 - Keep DB killer (it'll already be louder)

3 - Fit Rapid Bike re-map module (to optimise power delivery and prevent running too lean and hot)

Check it out here https://www.akrapovic.com/en/moto/product/20812/Yamaha/Ténéré-700/2020/Optional-Header-SS?brandId=41&modelId=1034&yearId=5865

Be sure to scroll down the page to listen to the different exhaust sounds. 

Seems to me like the bike with the full Acrapovic kit accelerates through the gears much, much faster, presumably from the power increase. Sounds cleaner to me as well.

I think this is the best option yet for the T7.

What do you guys and gals think?

Anyone here done this already?

Screenshot_20210209-223313_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by James

On 8/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, FredBasset said:

Bikeever where did you get the rubber bung from?

You can pick up a pack of 13mm rubber bungs in Halfords for £1.60 or if you really want an Akrapovic bung then eBay £6.50 for 1 !

• 10 months later...

Followed your advice. Simple really. Baffle came out no problem. Much more nicer/fruity sound. Std Acrapovic is just way too quite.

Edited by Redbikejohn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys did my Akro today got it drilled ok found the the retaining bolt ok and that came out easy enough but blimey the baffle won’t budge and it’s a never been used can just purchasing the dent removal puller so hopefully that will shift it . Has everyone who has tried got the 3 raised bits when you look from the back ? 

I am having the same issue as MAB1966.

I drilled fine and got the bolt out on the bottom, but it's impossible to pull out the baffle. After moving it with a wrench like you suggested and then hitting it a bit with a soft mallet, I can see the baffle slid backwards about 1mm, so now I can't even get the bolt back in since the holes are misaligned.

Anyone have any tips? For the life of me I can't get it to move to the outwards direction even with pliers and trying to rotate / twist it a bit.

The baffle really does just slide out. Tips - spay some penetrative oil down the side and let it soak if the baffle is stuck. Use slide hammer to hook the end of baffle to pull out. Been asked for pics.

20220215_111307.jpg

20220215_111457.jpg

20220215_111557.jpg

20220215_111534.jpg

20220215_111515.jpg

20220215_111440.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redbikejohn said:

16449243135703520212100241227737.jpg

Using a slide hammer and lubrication is a good idea.   Thanks for that.

Cheers for pics John exactly as you said I sprayed penetrating oil in baffle area while waiting for sliding hammer to come from eBay after about 3 knocks she was out RESULT 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Just did mine as well.  Been riding with the exhaust on for a while.  This post helped.

My drill bits are no longer new looking after that Titanium, but they did the job.  Stepped up in bit sizes, 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 5/8" &  1/2" (converted to mm to make sure I wasn't going too big).  The small ones breezed right through, the last two larger ones started biting a bit.  The dremmel made up for the rough edge. 

Hindsight: should have used my stepped drill bit and get a tapered/conical (as opposed to the usual cylindrical) abrasive bit for the dremmel.

As for the actual baffle removal, it was tough at first, but a couple small squirts of PB Blaster and a wiggle with an old wooden paint roller handle and it almost fell out.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just installed the Akrapovic on my T7.  A before / after and I think it may actually be quieter than the stock muffler!!  More defined sound, but it’s definitely not any louder.  

I may do this quiet insert removal this weekend.  Want to thank the posters for the information!!!!

Does the muffler drone when riding and is it obnoxious after the removal?  I want a bit more bite from the exhaust but definitely not a straight pipe.  I ride it long distances.  

Edited by dashredder

8 hours ago, dashredder said:

Does the muffler drone when riding and is it obnoxious after the removal?  I want a bit more bite from the exhaust but definitely not a straight pipe.  I ride it long distances.  

Without db-Eater the Akra sounds gorgeous. For longer trips I would recommend ear plugs but not because exhaust. Wind noise is much more pain in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you bikeever and everyone else for the info in this thread!!!

I drilled out the end cap today and pulled out the db eater.  I measured 27mm as bikeever showed in the first post, and then I used 3 titanium bits, small to large, that cut through like butter.  I then finished it with a fatty steel bit that was about 12mm and that wasn’t bad either.  Bolt was not tight and the db eater was super easy to remove (I sprayed WD40 on the edges a couple days ago - maybe what it needed if you have a tough plug).  Literally slid out with no twisting or fuss. 

Started the T7 and I was immediately like there it is!   Proper Akrapovic!!!  Not too loud for me, I’ll roll with it a bit to see where I am on long rides, but I did not sense any droning on a test ride.   

Very happy with this mod and very appreciative to everyone who posted to clarify how to handle this.  My new plug is on it’s way to close the hole.  

Did anyone fill the threads or just leave it open threads??

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to drill out the rivets instead and remove the screw that way?

I would rather not drill in the titanium part.

Drilling the hole is simple and its only one screw to remove. I have removed the baffle and put it back in to see the difference (takes just mins).