Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

LA to Barstow to Las Vegas 2023

echopewpew

Wanna start off with I am not affiliated with this rally nor know much about it. However I did sign up for it as it will be my first rally event ever!
https://labarstowvegas.com/

I always wanted to do an event like this and now have the chance!

Who else from the forums is going to be attending?
Also what should a newbie like me going solo have on me during a 400+ mile journey through the desert?

Tough tires, thick tubes, aftermarket suspension, extra gas, GPS, first aid kit, InReach, Tube repair kit, air pump, tool kit,  someone to extract you if you have a problem, Hydration backpack, Dust Mask.  I am sure there is more that other riders can add.  

I would run Motoz desert tires and their crazy thick tubes.   The Rallz  tires would do great too.   GOOD LUCK!!!

Shop for Tires, like Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 2

Alrighty so already made some big purchases (GPS tools etc)

but this is what I am planning to bring and also some motorcycle specs

Items:

Adv Jacket/Pants

Jersey/Chest protector (incase jacket just gets too hot)

Boots, 2 sets of gloves cold and hot

Goggles with clear and tinted lens

Mask for dust

2 sets of innertubes front and rear

Tire Spoon/Bead breaker tool

Electric Portable Air pump (battery operated/cigarette plug)

hydration pack also spare 1 gallon of water

1 gallon can of gas

Portable Tool kit from Cruz Tools
Zip ties

SuperGlue

JB Quik

Duct tape

Couple Trash Bags

Power bars and salt tablets

Garmin Inreach

Spare Shift Lever

Cloth Rag/Bandana

First Aid Kit/Imodium/Ibuprofen 

The bike

Garmin Zumo GPS

Soft Bags to carry everything with, two side, tail, and tank bags

Bike is caged/armored as well as other accessories (Camel adv stuff, high mount exhaust, bark busters..)

*Maybe installing Amber Fog lights in case riding goes into Dark*

*Maybe installing brand new rear tire, new set was put on less than 1k miles ago*

Going to get everything loaded and equally distributed before adjusting suspension

I understand one would want to be travel light but since I am doing this solo with no support or crew I figure pack more than others to ensure success or even survival lol..

*is dependent on fund availability as much as I would love to have fog lights and a new tires may be over budget*

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated also thank you @redneckj for your help!

• Moderators

@echopewpew Regarding your 12v air compressor,  better find a way to power it directly off of the battery. The cig lighter accessory charger has a 2A fuse and you'll blow that in a NY minute if you try to run your compressor off of that. 

Zip-ties are good, but be sure you have the thick long ones to use around the tire and rim in the event you can't get the tire off ( rear especially) so you can at least ride out to get retrieved.  Maybe add earplugs and sunglasses to your list,  it's going to be long hours in the saddle. 

Have a blast!

Edit: Another solid recommendation on the RallZ rear, best rear for AZ rocks I've found and I'm getting 6,500 miles average out of rears with 60% street/40% dirt use.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJW Thank you! The airpump I have has its own removeable battery along with a spare, it can be charged off the cigarette light if it fails but good to know that the fuse will pop if I do. Ill be adding your recommendations to the list

I have read that folks have lost chains during these types of events, should I bring a spare chain and a chain tool?

Thanks again!

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, echopewpew said:

@AZJW Thank you! The airpump I have has its own removeable battery along with a spare, it can be charged off the cigarette light if it fails but good to know that the fuse will pop if I do. Ill be adding your recommendations to the list

I have read that folks have lost chains during these types of events, should I bring a spare chain and a chain tool?

Thanks again!

Glad to be of help. I think chain failures are exaggerated,  not saying it won't happen, just not very likely. Have tools along to adjust it if necessary,  i.e. rock jammed in it, but personally I wouldn't want the extra weight of a spare. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

10 hours ago, echopewpew said:

Thanks again!

Does your bike have a chain guide?   If not, add one.  

• Like 4

• Supporting Vendor

I've done the event 4 or 5 times and would say the most challenging part is dealing with the other 400 riders and time management. Starting early is best; if you don't leave until 10am, you'll be finishing in the dark. If you're falling behind, jump on the main road and skip ahead a section to get back on track. Even if you use a GPS, follow along with their roll chart; the chart has hazards marked, the GPS track does not. Coming up on a washout at 60mph on an ADV bike is no fun.

It's a great event, have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

@AZJW Great to know! I'll be servicing the bike a couple weeks prior to ensure that if any parts are showing heavy wear, get them replaced in time prior to the event.

@Redneckj I do have a  chain guide from from BRP it has done me well during my off roading excursions 

@Camel ADV THANK YOU FOR MAKING AWESOME STUFF!!!! I am very excited, something that I noticed during registration was there was no roll map available this year and it will be GPS only. I am a bit worried due to the monsoons we had in the last few months, could be deep wash crevices that are invisible until the last second. I plan on leaving as early as possible to avoid night riding. 

I am about to email PIAA to see if they provide a Amber Light kit for the tenere instead of the white. what other accessory lights manufacturer would you folks recommend? Also if I were to hardwire the GPS does it take the plug in spot for acc. lights? 

Edited by echopewpew

1 hour ago, echopewpew said:

@AZJW Great to know! I'll be servicing the bike a couple weeks prior to ensure that if any parts are showing heavy wear, get them replaced in time prior to the event.

@Redneckj I do have a  chain guide from from BRP it has done me well during my off roading excursions 

@Camel ADV THANK YOU FOR MAKING AWESOME STUFF!!!! I am very excited, something that I noticed during registration was there was no roll map available this year and it will be GPS only. I am a bit worried due to the monsoons we had in the last few months, could be deep wash crevices that are invisible until the last second. I plan on leaving as early as possible to avoid night riding. 

I am about to email PIAA to see if they provide a Amber Light kit for the tenere instead of the white. what other accessory lights manufacturer would you folks recommend? Also if I were to hardwire the GPS does it take the plug in spot for acc. lights? 

Call Daryl @ Cyclops Adventure Sports.  He has awesome lighting and the Skene IQ-275 that you will need.  Tell him redneckj with the T7 sent you!!

High performance LED lights & accessories for motorcycles, autos, snowmobiles & more. Exceptional customer service. U.S. based. Worldwide delivery.

• Like 1

GPS does take one of the ports although you can get splitters or wire it directly to the battery

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
15 hours ago, echopewpew said:

No roll charts this year... crazy! They were always going on about how much safer roll charts were since the batteries don't die and the charts had hazards and notes etc. Obviously, not printing 400 charts saves a few $ for them. I'm kinda sad to seem them go, it was a cool throwback to pre-GPS days!

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

8 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

No roll charts this year... crazy! They were always going on about how much safer roll charts were since the batteries don't die and the charts had hazards and notes etc. Obviously, not printing 400 charts saves a few $ for them. I'm kinda sad to seem them go, it was a cool throwback to pre-GPS days!

I was really bummed about this too. I've been trying to find a roll chart event but haven't had any luck. I was hoping digital roll charts would help, but I think that's even less common.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

Alrighty.. today I got to say goodbye to a whole paycheck for some decent riding gear, gps unit, and tools (buddy is gonna let me borrow his spoons/bead breaker)

Still awaiting the email from PIAA, @Redneckj as of right now cyclops is my number 2 behind PIAA due to the option of just plugging and playing but if I do reach out to them I will let you know, Thank you!

@Hollybrook That is fantastic! I am curious if tinting works just as great as a amber light. Asked a coworker who had done off road events in the past but he didn't have any experience with tint just amber lenses. Thank you!

@Lewie if I were to go with the PIAA kit, I think I'll need splitter, two questions Do you have a link or part number for the splitter, and can the battery, stator, and fuses keep up with the demand of GPS and Lights running concurrently? Thank you!

@random1781 will you be attending the event?

Next purchases will be the inreach and all things in the item list in a couple weeks time

The tires and fog lights are going to be purchased as I feel its better to have them than need them but not until a few weeks before the event

Edited by echopewpew

Which Size Rallz from Motoz would be recommended front and rear?

Also which Ultra Inner Duty Tubes for front and rear?

Just learned that these tires are not in the United States and may be best to order them next paycheck 

Sadly no, I won't be attending. I do have some tracks near Vegas that are  similar o what you'll probably be riding if you want to do a shakedown.

Check out Ruby Moto's lights.

I saw these in person and actually regret not using them in my design...

8,592 crystal clear optically focused lumens will get you from A to Zimbabwe.  With eight top-binned CREE LED's, a pair of R4's generates more than 8,000...

Also, double check fuel stops. Most other riders will probably have half the range that the T7 does, so you might not need to lug around an extra gallon of gas.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

6 minutes ago, echopewpew said:

Which Size Rallz from Motoz would be recommended front and rear?

Also which Ultra Inner Duty Tubes for front and rear?

Just learned that these tires are not in the United States and may be best to order them next paycheck 

Rallz are definitely in the US. The 140/80 rear is $100 cheaper than the 150, so get that. I think rocky mountain has them.

The Rallz front sucks. By that I mean it wears really quickly without a crazy benefit. Get the motoz dual venture instead, or whatever other brand you want. I think for this event you don't need to worry that much about specific tires. Knobby and not worn out and you'll be fine.

Same with the tubes. I got an ultra heavy duty tube that I thought I'd be quickly using because my current standard tube has two or three patches on it, but here I am chugging along with a massive ultra heavy duty tube in my bag because that old tube is clinging to life. Any tube will work, it just depends on how much you want to ensure you don't get a flat.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

The gps should ‘occupy’ the spare 2 pin connector on the rhs - that still leaves the 3 pin free for your aux lights- I’m guessing you haven’t fitted heated grips 

sorry I’m on the uk so no stateside links to the splitter 

• Like 1

okay figure i do a bit of an update

Today got the Garmin hard wired to the bike, it was pretty fun and honestly was not too bad, also the tail bag for tools etc put on as well

Somehow by sheer luck was able to order the PIAA Tenere Fog light kit and the mount. However i am worried the Outback Mototek cage is going to interfere (worse case scenario, cut and weld the mounts to the cage and install lights on that)

Going to be doing the lamin-x tint route as it appears to be the least path of resistance (I will admit the OEM light kit was costly but plug and play without splicing puts me at ease)

Things that still need to be ordered will have to wait until the first week of Nov:

Inreach
Tires
Inner Tubes (I have decided just to bring 1 extra set instead of 2 to save cost)

Inner tube patch kit (will replace the second set of inner tubes)

I think once I get everything it would be fun to take a photo of everything laid out then packed on the bike

Edited by echopewpew

• 1 month later...

Well that is most of everything coming with me tomorrow afternoon to California

I am very excited for rally and nervous!

Thank you to those to helped me prepare for this event, its gonna be a blast!

photo_2023-11-22_21-06-44.jpg

Edited by echopewpew
  • Like 3

This was one if the hardest things I have ever done on a motorcycle

it was fun, challenging, and honestly wouldnt have finished without the help of others

the tenere did get damaged, lost some stuff during the rally, but honestly happy with just being able to finish

i didn't attend the closing ceremony as after I finished photos with the showgirls I just went home to rest

highly recommend others to go it was a blast!

• Like 5

I don't know when the photos from Grumpy will be available

i lost my insta360 during the rally so that footage is good as gone

ill look through my gopro today and see what footage i have recorded

• Like 1

Glad you finished and your OK.  Material items can be replaced.  What was the hardest part of the ride?  What will you change if you do it again?

• Like 2