Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

LA to Barstow to Las Vegas 2023

echopewpew

48 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

Glad you finished and your OK.  Material items can be replaced.  What was the hardest part of the ride?  What will you change if you do it again?

SAND... I HAVE LEARNED TO HATE SAND....

Honestly the changes I would do is lighten the bike and pack a lot less, turns out much of the stuff I brought such as the fuel can (I lost it 20 mins into the rally... it came undone and didn't realize it until my fuel stop), bags, electric air pump were not necessary, i didn't even get the opportunity to assist others with what i brought. A backpack with hydration and important stuff such as a zipties, toolbag,electrolytes (I cramped badly day 1), inreach would suffice.

Dress appropriately, day 1 I wore a thermal and regretted it... day 2 i dressed much better and lasted much longer. 

Just have a buddy drive me there and put all clothes and other items such as clothes, shoes and etc in a bag (LAB2V will transport bags to each location)

Secure your gear properly such as having expensive camera tied to a cord in case it falls off (also to mark the items incase someone finds it) 

Have Fresh Tires, thankfully A-One cycle had a rear tire for me and installed it before day 2 but they may not have what you need.

If I were to do it again I would either take as much weight off the bike as possible or ride a dual sport but I honestly cannot wait to do it again next year (as I sit here typing in pain and soreness)

Edited by echopewpew
  • Like 1

Just now, echopewpew said:

Honestly the changes I would do is lighten the back and pack a lot less, turns out much of the stuff I brought such as the fuel can (I lost it 20 mins into the rally... it came undone and didn't realize it until my fuel stop), bags, electric air pump were not necessary, i didn't even get the opportunity to assist others with what i brought. 

Just have a buddy drive me there and put all clothes and other items such as clothes, shoes and etc in a bag (LAB2V will transport bags to each location)

Secure your gear properly such as having expensive camera tied to a cord in case it falls off (also to mark the items incase someone finds it) 

Have Fresh Tires, thankfully A-One cycle had a rear tire for me and installed it before day 2 but they may not have what you need.

If I were to do it again I would either take as much weight off the bike as possible or ride a dual sport but I honestly cannot wait to do it again next year (as I sit here typing in pain and soreness)

Learn to love sand! I can't tell you how important this is. Once you feel comfortable on sand, everything else becomes much easier. It's the great equalizer because it forces you to relax and actually feel your bike. It does takes a lot of practice and consistency, but it's worth it.

And yeah, dummy cording everything on the bike is essential, especially off road.

What happened to the bike?

• Like 2

advgoats.com

4 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Learn to love sand! I can't tell you how important this is. Once you feel comfortable on sand, everything else becomes much easier. It's the great equalizer because it forces you to relax and actually feel your bike. It does takes a lot of practice and consistency, but it's worth it.

And yeah, dummy cording everything on the bike is essential, especially off road.

What happened to the bike?

Bent Front Wheel after crashing on a rock on day 2,

Cracked Fairings, Cracked Mirror, Handlebars no longer straight while riding straight, and lots of scratches

In all honesty,  I am not worried or mad about any of it, happy with the experience gained and the amazing 2 day adventure

Now the next one I wanna do is the Nevada BDR with some folks! 

I posted some videos on my instagram  if you guys would like to see them

167 Followers, 237 Following, 90 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Some dude (@echopewpew)

• Like 2

You probably just need to loosen the front end and relax everything, and that's why I'm a fan of tubes! Might want to hop on Camel's black friday sale for fairings.

BDR is going to be much more chill, for better or worse. And if you're not already familiar, check this out:

https://ohv.nv.gov/trails

• Like 2

advgoats.com

2 hours ago, echopewpew said:

Sand is rough to navigate on a 500lb bike. I'm actually surprised you were able to complete the whole event on that beast. Good on you!! I would say the sand sections off Razor Road were the hardest. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, olliechristophe said:

Sand is rough to navigate on a 500lb bike. I'm actually surprised you were able to complete the whole event on that beast. Good on you!! I would say the sand sections off Razor Road were the hardest. 

I actually veered off the GPS path on the other side of Razor Road near Zzyzz and badly stuck, took two others to help me get the bike unstuck in the sand, and not 10 mins later I crashed going up a sandy uphill hitting a large rock which bent my front wheel requiring another rider to help me out, I was gassed out and once I was in baker I took a breather

• Like 2

So this is a fun video that I just found from Day 1 didn't realize my GoPro was recording so happy accident.

I was trying to get back on the trail so tried to cut through the desert and ended up getting stuck to the point my front wheel is off the ground....

Thankfully was able to wave down a rider named Tanner and with his help we got the bike unstuck... this is when I started to cramp real bad and ended up taking a bail, I believe I was 50 miles short of the hotel from this point

vlcsnap-2023-11-26-19h56m31s443.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-26-19h58m00s005.png

• Like 4

• Supporting Vendor
12 hours ago, echopewpew said:

So this is a fun video that I just found from Day 1 didn't realize my GoPro was recording so happy accident.

I was trying to get back on the trail so tried to cut through the desert and ended up getting stuck to the point my front wheel is off the ground....

Thankfully was able to wave down a rider named Tanner and with his help we got the bike unstuck... this is when I started to cramp real bad and ended up taking a bail, I believe I was 50 miles short of the hotel from this point

vlcsnap-2023-11-26-19h56m31s443.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-26-19h58m00s005.png

That is GOOD and STUCK! You showed a lot of tenacity pushing through to the finish after the challenges along the way.

Sand is awful on a big bike... until you get it figured out; then it can be a lot of fun. Looks like you live in Vegas so you have lots of opportunity to practice in small doses. Get after it!

• Like 5

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Thank you all once again for the help and experience!

As of right now I plan to attend again next year, maybe with a lighter bike maybe with the tenere but I do hope to see others there from here!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

851.jpg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

thanks for sharing this story, great journey - well done!

I agree, it was great to see you get ready, the bike to get ready and then YOU DID IT!!

Great outcome too!!!

• Like 1