Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bike Knife - Trail wheel puller tool

NeilW

I just tested the Far Reach Outfitters Bike Knife by completely pulling my front and rear wheels with it. It is an all in one, two blade assembly that has all 6 tools needed for the front and rear plus a blade for chopping kindling and a spoke tool. All this stuff is in one "knife" looking assembly. No more dropping 10 or 12mm sockets in the dirt or not having enough leverage to pull your rear axle. The Bike knife extends to 12 inches of handle.

It will fit under the pillion seat slipped along the side so you still have room for the other stuff you put under your seat.

Made of steel, each unit is hand welded by the owner.  This one tool is saving me 1.5pounds /  .68kg over the 6 tools I normally carry, and it takes up less space due to the innovative design.

Personally, I have my T7 on a diet, pulling my rack panniers and rack and top case. Going all in on rackless and smaller soft bags. My T7 was 130 pounds over stock (590!) and I am trying to lose 60 pounds.  Here is 1.5 🙂

bike knife.jpg

• Like 5

I went to their site and was also impressed with their peg design.🤩

Combined knife and spanner seems an odd combination, looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe not so lethal in actual use 🤔

• Like 2

I have a bike knife and it weighs 388g. It does everything he says it does and some might find it an excellent solution. But:

I find it awkward to use. It's steel so quite heavy. 

I pieced together a kit that weighs a bit less; 374g complete. This kit allows me to remove both wheels, and I can use some tools for other jobs:

27mm shallow socket

1/2" x 3/4" socket adapter (fits inside the socket for storage - use it to remove front axle w/the 14mm open ended wrench, use with the 19mm wrench on the rear nut)

19/17 combination wrench

12/14mm Lightool

1/4" L-Handle

10mm socket

This kit is more compact and versatile - I can use these tools for other jobs on the trail and would carry most of them regardless. The  27 mm socket w/adapter and 17/19 wrench are 240g so that's probably a more realistic comparison.

I carry a small Snap-On/Kershaw lock back in my trail pack. It adds 56g - I'd likely carry it anyway as it's small and a much better tool for lunch and other general trail tasks.

20240210_145003.jpg

20240217_095054.jpg

20240217_095334.jpg

Edited by Bruincounselor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bruincounselor said:

This kit is more compact and versatile

100% with you on that. Too much "gimmick" crap is sold to guys with more money than biking experience.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Bruincounselor said:

I have a bike knife and it weighs 388g. It does everything he says it does and some might find it an excellent solution. But:

I find it awkward to use. It's steel so quite heavy. 

I pieced together a kit that weighs a bit less; 374g complete. This kit allows me to remove both wheels, and I can use some tools for other jobs:

27mm shallow socket

1/2" x 3/4" socket adapter (fits inside the socket for storage - use it to remove front axle w/the 14mm open ended wrench, use with the 19mm wrench on the rear nut)

19/17 combination wrench

12/14mm Lightool

1/4" L-Handle

10mm socket

This kit is more compact and versatile - I can use these tools for other jobs on the trail and would carry most of them regardless. The  27 mm socket w/adapter and 17/19 wrench are 240g so that's probably a more realistic comparison.

I carry a small Snap-On/Kershaw lock back in my trail pack. It adds 56g - I'd likely carry it anyway as it's small and a much better tool for lunch and other general trail tasks.

20240210_145003.jpg

20240217_095054.jpg

20240217_095334.jpg

Nice kit - based on the gold (steel?) standard in regards of wrenches, which is Stahlwille. Their quality (and price) is unrivalled afaik.

I like the 27mm/adapter solution, what brand are these? I've not come across such yet. Motion Pro sells a similar socket for their tire spoons (without the 1/2" adapter), but it's an aluminium one (no thanks) and quite expensive imho.

4 hours ago, Alan M said:

Combined knife and spanner seems an odd combination, looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe not so lethal in actual use 🤔

My first thought too, because I know myself! Just a handle on the other side for a bit more leverage would be more reasonable. I can't imagine whipping out my wheel tool to cut something. Doesn't everyone have a small pocket knife or multitool handy or is it just me? Can't imagine going day to day without one.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

27 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Nice kit - based on the gold (steel?) standard in regards of wrenches, which is Stahlwille. Their quality (and price) is unrivalled afaik.

I like the 27mm/adapter solution, what brand are these? I've not come across such yet. Motion Pro sells a similar socket for their tire spoons (without the 1/2" adapter), but it's an aluminium one (no thanks) and quite expensive imho.

Here ya go.

27mm Capri Tools shallow socket ($9): 

Adapters ($12 set); I have not been able to find them in singles so you'll have a couple for the toolbox:

Buy 3 PC Square Drive Socket Caps, Hex 7/16", 9/16" & 3/4" with 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" Drives: Individual Drive Sockets - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

The wrench was only $25 US on Amazon. But it's a narrow box - light, durable, and very well made. The Lightools are more expensive - cry once. I also use them on my Beta trail pack.

All in it's still only $46 for the above. 

For those worried about the blade on the bike knife, it's not really much of a concern safetywise and you can order it blunt if you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruincounselor said:

Here ya go.

27mm Capri Tools shallow socket ($9): 

Adapters ($12 set); I have not been able to find them in singles so you'll have a couple for the toolbox:

Buy 3 PC Square Drive Socket Caps, Hex 7/16", 9/16" & 3/4" with 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" Drives: Individual Drive Sockets - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

The wrench was only $25 US on Amazon. But it's a narrow box - light, durable, and very well made. The Lightools are more expensive - cry once. I also use them on my Beta trail pack.

All in it's still only $46 for the above. 

For those worried about the blade on the bike knife, it's not really much of a concern safetywise and you can order it blunt if you prefer.

Awesome mate, thanks! Lightools already in my tool roll, makes it even cheaper for me. That way I can get rid of the bulky Rally Raid wheel tool. It's inexpensive and sturdy, but takes up too much space for my taste.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:18 AM, random1781 said:

My first thought too, because I know myself! Just a handle on the other side for a bit more leverage would be more reasonable. I can't imagine whipping out my wheel tool to cut something. Doesn't everyone have a small pocket knife or multitool handy or is it just me? Can't imagine going day to day without one.

The blade on the Bike Knife  is specific for splitting kindling. The 27mm socket is topped with ridging material to be  hit with a second stick to split small wood. Not to replace your pocket knife. It can also be made with a beer bottle opener instead of the blade. You request at time of order. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

I've never understood the interest in splitting wood when camping. There always seems to be more kindling than firewood everywhere I go. And if it's too big to break by stomping on it, it looks like firewood to be sawed into usable lengths to me. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I've never understood the interest in splitting wood when camping. There always seems to be more kindling than firewood everywhere I go. And if it's too big to break by stomping on it, it looks like firewood to be sawed into usable lengths to me. 

..and that is why they offer a beer bottle opener in place of the blade for those that don't need a blade 🙂

Don't they use these twist off caps any longer? First time in the States my friend in LA was amused when I used a lighter to popp open a beer bottle. I didn't know that twist off caps existed on beer bottles. We don't have them in Germany.

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NeilW said:

..and that is why they offer a beer bottle opener in place of the blade for those that don't need a blade 🙂

I would probably buy one if they offered a combined spanner and phone charger.

Seriously, both options seem ridiculous 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Don't they use these twist off caps any longer? First time in the States my friend in LA was amused when I used a lighter to popp open a beer bottle. I didn't know that twist off caps existed on beer bottles. We don't have them in Germany.

Only a couple of the big beers do.

KTM does it right...they include a 10mm wrench/bottle opener combo tool with the bike's toolkit. Not that I need another bottle opener, but I held onto that thing fir a long time.

advgoats.com

I guess the beer bottle opener is the wrench for the spokes.

bikeknife.jpg

7 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

I guess the beer bottle opener is the wrench for the spokes.

bikeknife.jpg

Directly below the spoke wrench is the blade area. That  is where the bottle opener would be. 

5 hours ago, Alan M said:

I would probably buy one if they offered a combined spanner and phone charger.

Seriously, both options seem ridiculous 🤣

What would you suggest they put in that 1.5” spot ? 
I am sure they are open to suggestions. 

On 2/16/2024 at 7:50 PM, NeilW said:

bike knife.jpg

Forget the bottle opener, I can catch the lip of the cap on my panniers and hit the top to the bottle with the heel of my hand.

What would really sell, is a bar in front of the finger grip area, turning this in to brass knuckles. Not for T7 riders mind you, more of the American twin crowd. Those guys buy all sorts of goofy stuff... Oooo, and you would have to chrome it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

33 minutes ago, NeilW said:

What would you suggest they put in that 1.5” spot ? 
I am sure they are open to suggestions. 

Neil, if I’m honest I wouldn’t suggest anything.

Not a big fan of combination tools, they’re generally a poor substitute for the proper tool.

Saying that, I do own the rally raid wheel tool but haven’t checked whether or not it’ll open a bottle of beer 🤔😁.

Whatever folks buy the most important thing is to see if it actually works in the garage before they hit the trail.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Neil, if I’m honest I wouldn’t suggest anything.

Not a big fan of combination tools, they’re generally a poor substitute for the proper tool.

Saying that, I do own the rally raid wheel tool but haven’t checked whether or not it’ll open a bottle of beer 🤔😁.

Whatever folks buy the most important thing is to see if it actually works in the garage before they hit the trail.

I literally took front and rear off and back on using the Bike Knife so I know it works. The ability to connect the two sides end to end for leverage on the axle nuts is an awesome feature.  Also that it can be slid under the pillion seat on the side means it takes up zero space. I totally agree with learning your tools before needing them on the trail.  Remember all that I don't have stock in the company. I just share what I find so others can know about stuff they might not have come across. This site has been awesome for introducing me to products - like the Thunderbox  and Eatbound Motowinch - both of which are must haves for me.

• Like 3

So I bought one of these, as I tend to buy all tools that might make my day easier on the trail, and pitch the ones I don't want into my old toolbox at home for 're-purposing' someday. Anyway, it works for taking off both wheels and a bunch of skin. The knife is sharp. When removing the front axle, its very easy to cut your hand. Ground the knife flat. Kept the rest as is. Upside, is that it tucks into my engine guard bags like I didn't even have one. Downside is that it is heavy and it rusts. Probably keep it on the bike for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

31 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So I bought one of these, as I tend to buy all tools that might make my day easier on the trail, and pitch the ones I don't want into my old toolbox at home for 're-purposing' someday. Anyway, it works for taking off both wheels and a bunch of skin. The knife is sharp. When removing the front axle, its very easy to cut your hand. Ground the knife flat. Kept the rest as is. Upside, is that it tucks into my engine guard bags like I didn't even have one. Downside is that it is heavy and it rusts. Probably keep it on the bike for now.

Interesting  and thanks for speaking up on this tool. how about just spraying it with rust-o-leum. it is laser cut steel and not stainless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 5:50 PM, NeilW said:

I just tested the Far Reach Outfitters Bike Knife by completely pulling my front and rear wheels with it. It is an all in one, two blade assembly that has all 6 tools needed for the front and rear plus a blade for chopping kindling and a spoke tool. All this stuff is in one "knife" looking assembly. No more dropping 10 or 12mm sockets in the dirt or not having enough leverage to pull your rear axle. The Bike knife extends to 12 inches of handle.

It will fit under the pillion seat slipped along the side so you still have room for the other stuff you put under your seat.

Made of steel, each unit is hand welded by the owner.  This one tool is saving me 1.5pounds /  .68kg over the 6 tools I normally carry, and it takes up less space due to the innovative design.

Personally, I have my T7 on a diet, pulling my rack panniers and rack and top case. Going all in on rackless and smaller soft bags. My T7 was 130 pounds over stock (590!) and I am trying to lose 60 pounds.  Here is 1.5 🙂

bike knife.jpg

I'm missing something here....my 2024 has an internal 19 mm hex front axle that is flush with the outer right fork lug.  I don't see a male 19 mm hex piece on the tool to go into the axle?!. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:06 AM, Bruincounselor said:

12/14mm Lightool

So the 3/4 end (19 mm - perfect fit) of the adapter goes into the front axle, and then the  12 mm/14 mm open end on the 1/2" ( 12.7 mm)  end of the adapter?  Isn't that a sloppy fit... especially if the bolt hasn't been removed for some time and is really tight in there?  Do you  worry about "rounding" off either tool?

BTW, thanks for the links, I'm ordering the adapter.