Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tool-free seat removal

Whitey66

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

I have come up with an idea to make studs instead of the allen head bolts to hold the front seat in position.

As many already know you can remove the 2 seat bolts and the seat won't fall off but it moves around a bit.

I made up some simple 6mm studs and drilled the tops and fitted R-clips and the seat is held as tightly as with the original bolts fitted.

You can either just slide the R-clips in place or after you put them in, tighten them down with the R-clip to hold the seat really firmly.

The R-clips can be removed and fitted easily, even with gloves on.

I've just done a time test and I can fully remove both seats and refit them in under 20 seconds 👍1.JPG

2.JPG

That is fantastic! Thanks for the excellent post @Whitey66

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

And without the R clips? Will the passenger seat press the main seat down enough that it wont come of the studs?

10 hours ago, Bad Pritt said:

And without the R clips? Will the passenger seat press the main seat down enough that it wont come of the studs?

Yes, the rear seat will hold it on the studs but it will still move around a bit because the studs sit inside rubber grommets.

By hand tightening the R-clips down it removes all movement from the seat, just like when it's correctly bolted down.

• Like 1

He Mate, well done that saves me thinking about it. I will do it tomorrow.  

I turned the existing screws upside down and threaded them up from the bottom. Drilled some small holes and filed the tops and smoothed them down with some emery paper. Make sure the holes are just right and I ground the top down, they have to be as low as possible and smooth so the rear seat fits perfect without catching on the top of the screws. I have a better toolkit under my seat and looking at securing more tools and tyre repair kit and air compressor between the side panels and the frame492F4F06-591A-40A9-9802-77AF4D6A5967.thumb.jpeg.4ed9aaf81f112d5d30559f89ad8f3e47.jpeg

B4979271-F89D-469A-A4BD-6874B32068CC.jpeg

DC5C9FB8-6A09-490F-B533-D1E00F6382BA.jpeg

• Like 5

On 4/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, Southcoastbiker said:

What a great idea will be doing this to my ride thanks

No worries, I'm glad I could help .

• Like 1

Read this post earlier today, then tried it thus:-

Inserted original screw from below (with just one washer under the head) to form studs. (This actually makes fitting the seat very easy)

Found a couple of suitable small nuts and just simply hand tightened

Pillion seat leading edge is tight over the top of the nuts, so they’re not going anywhere. (Although this does not apply to the OEM Mono Seat Rack)

Haven’t actually tried going anywhere as yet, but I’ll keep you posted as to whether me and the seat fall off!

DSCF3373.JPG

• Like 1

great idea inserting original screw from below

would wing nuts fit instead the regular nuts,is there enough room

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vilageidgit62 said:

great idea inserting original screw from below

would wing nuts fit instead the regular nuts,is there enough room

I was just about to ask the same question... Wing nuts if they fit would be ideal 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

I was just about to ask the same question... Wing nuts if they fit would be ideal 🙂

Wing nuts would probably fit ok with the Mono Seat Rack, but not the standard pillion seat (which is tight over the top of the small flat nut as shown in my post above)

• Like 1

I just tried wing nuts and they do not work as they foul the seat, I also tried nylock nuts but they are too big as well so in the end i just used shallow nuts like 007erenet.  I suppose I need to ride the bike to make sure they don't work loose but that will have to wait for a while 😙

IMG_6515.thumb.jpeg.e639d8a3dbbfb0d94847fc0621c87c6f.jpegIMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.e0e36b1f478b2c42c0394ab62b80282b.jpegIMG_6517.thumb.jpeg.0d5896bb1d12d95c6c4f6010a04b4fda.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi I`v done the same on mine with just bolts with the head cut off screwed in and nuts put on the underside to lock them

in place. I did put some super glue on the steel top hat washers to stop them coming loose Very happy with it. Thanks for the

tip. Bill

21-04-20 142.JPG

Cnc marching some development seat quick-release pins, suggested by one of our Aussie customers, aka Whitey66 on Yamaha Tenere T7 Forum here, based on a variation of our original design we were doing, but his was even simpler.
These pins, with an R clip, replace the threaded M6 screws (that need an a 4mm Allen key to remove them) and make removing the front seat very quick, with no tools.
Due to the lockdown here in the UK we are sending a set to Australia to test the design and function before committing to production.

spacer.pngspacer.png
Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 6

Another addition to make the R clips unlosable, good quality rubber bands that allow enough stretch when tightening the R clips and they can just be simply dropped after removal from the pin. No more searching on the bike or muddy ground for dropped R clips 👍

rubber bands.jpg

Edited by Whitey66
added pic
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 2:08 AM, Whitey66 said:

I have come up with an idea to make studs instead of the allen head bolts to hold the front seat in position.

As many already know you can remove the 2 seat bolts and the seat won't fall off but it moves around a bit.

I made up some simple 6mm studs and drilled the tops and fitted R-clips and the seat is held as tightly as with the original bolts fitted.

You can either just slide the R-clips in place or after you put them in, tighten them down with the R-clip to hold the seat really firmly.

I've just done a time test and I can fully remove both seats and refit them in under 20 seconds 👍1.JPG

2.JPG

This is so simple, it's Genius! 

On 4/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, bill said:

Hi I`v done the same on mine with just bolts with the head cut off screwed in and nuts put on the underside to lock them

in place. I did put some super glue on the steel top hat washers to stop them coming loose Very happy with it. Thanks for the

tip. Bill

21-04-20 142.JPG

Thanks for the idea. I did the exact same thing and it works perfect. No pins or nuts are needed. The pillow seat holds the driver seat very securely.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:08 AM, Whitey66 said:

2.JPG

Yes good trick I did the same thing on my Triumph Speed Triple.

Cheers

-Bob

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey guys dig this.  Just got my T7 three days ago.  My dealer said to replace those fork tube guard screws with nylon bolts and even gave me the nylon bolts...Guess what I did with those stainless bolts that I removed.  Put them upside down where the seat bolts went and they are the perfect fit with no cutting and grinding.  They rise up 1/8" above the top hats.  I even tightened them down with that stupid allen wrench provided.  Took me about three minutes and I didn't pay a penny.

57 minutes ago, POLISHADAM82 said:

you came up with that idea? Looks like RR been selling them for a while now unless you work for them 🙂

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure RR was not selling these when the thread was first posted back in April.   They arrived a few weeks after the post.   Just because some company is selling them doesn't mean they were the ones that thought of the idea first.