Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
prwatts

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

There have been various reports of this.

Specially if you are tall.

Today I removed the windscreen (4 allen screws) and I will do a trial.

I left the side deflectors on...

Of course the back of the display is going to catch all the bugs

20190809_100759.jpg

prwatts

Hi guys,  I did my trial with no screen.  The wind was constant, like riding a naked bike with a small screen.  The little side deflectors and the headlight 'screen' or cover does a reasonable job on their own.

I think the screen is designed for looks - I do not think that lip was designed in a wind tunnel.  So there is a place for a good aftermarket screen.  Maybe 100mm higher?

BTW, I gave into beauty and on my return ride I put the screen back on.  I get a lot of looks and there are a lot of EU riders in UK now in summer.  Can't have my baby out in public half-dressed.

I have NOT seen another T7 on the road yet  😉

Alpenschrauber

Hi all,

there is Ben Plummer in the FB group  "Global Group - Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid / T7" or on FB "T7 Rally" who is doing a lot of prototyping, measuring and constructing. He's working on a sliding mechanism that allows to slide the shield some centimeters up..." It increases the fixed height by 15mm and then that can be increased to 35-40mm but I will extend that slightly to probably a Max of 50-60mm or something like that."

New Order

To bad that I have cancelled my FB account. But sometimes you gotta give shit up. And for me FB is definitely shit...😬😁

norcal616

It's better to go shorter in screen height or run without it... going bigger in height just makes a "barn door"... Yes the wind noise is a bit more when not using it or going shorter but it's nice clean wind sound vs the rattle of turbulence

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

prwatts
12 hours ago, norcal616 said:

It's better to go shorter in screen height or run without it... going bigger in height just makes a "barn door"... Yes the wind noise is a bit more when not using it or going shorter but it's nice clean wind sound vs the rattle of turbulence

I did not find the wind noise higher with no screen - just the wind force was greater.  It was more constant, a draft up under my helmet, but smooth and quieter

Alpenschrauber
13 hours ago, New Order said:

To bad that I have cancelled my FB account. But sometimes you gotta give shit up. And for me FB is definitely shit...😬😁

Hi New Order,

You're right, sometimes this social media stuff is quite shitty, but sometimes it can be quite useful 😉.

The guy I mentioned will most likely show up in this forum soon -and he said that he will set up a website. 

Cheers, have a nice weekend in wonderful Sweden

• Like 1

New Order
Posted (edited)

That was good news.  I just had to do something about my social media time. FB can also be quite toxic, but also useful. But if he becomes a member here it's another reason to not reactivate my FB account. 🙂😎

Edited by New Order
  • Like 1

Murska

I made a temporary touring windshield to 2mm polycarbonate, height 400mm and width 380mm. I am 186cm tall, Arai Tour-X4 and a high windshield works just fine. There is no turbulence at all, the airflow is directed over the helmet.

Ugly, but it works.

14730962.jpg

14730941.jpg

• Like 3

Emmanuel

Sounds good but I am not a big fan of this shape ☹️ Maybe the top should be more narrow?

prwatts

I think it is very good for a home-made screen.  🙂

Murska
9 hours ago, Emmanuel said:

Sounds good but I am not a big fan of this shape ☹️ Maybe the top should be more narrow?

Neither do I, but the MT07 16T sprocket and big windscreen are nice for long adventure touring. After the trip, change the oem sprocket and windsreen back.