Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

There have been various reports of this.

Specially if you are tall.

Today I removed the windscreen (4 allen screws) and I will do a trial.

I left the side deflectors on...

Of course the back of the display is going to catch all the bugs

20190809_100759.jpg

• Like 2

Hi guys,  I did my trial with no screen.  The wind was constant, like riding a naked bike with a small screen.  The little side deflectors and the headlight 'screen' or cover does a reasonable job on their own.

I think the screen is designed for looks - I do not think that lip was designed in a wind tunnel.  So there is a place for a good aftermarket screen.  Maybe 100mm higher?

BTW, I gave into beauty and on my return ride I put the screen back on.  I get a lot of looks and there are a lot of EU riders in UK now in summer.  Can't have my baby out in public half-dressed.

I have NOT seen another T7 on the road yet  😉

• Like 2

Hi all,

there is Ben Plummer in the FB group  "Global Group - Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid / T7" or on FB "T7 Rally" who is doing a lot of prototyping, measuring and constructing. He's working on a sliding mechanism that allows to slide the shield some centimeters up..." It increases the fixed height by 15mm and then that can be increased to 35-40mm but I will extend that slightly to probably a Max of 50-60mm or something like that."

To bad that I have cancelled my FB account. But sometimes you gotta give shit up. And for me FB is definitely shit...😬😁

• Like 8

It's better to go shorter in screen height or run without it... going bigger in height just makes a "barn door"... Yes the wind noise is a bit more when not using it or going shorter but it's nice clean wind sound vs the rattle of turbulence

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

12 hours ago, norcal616 said:

It's better to go shorter in screen height or run without it... going bigger in height just makes a "barn door"... Yes the wind noise is a bit more when not using it or going shorter but it's nice clean wind sound vs the rattle of turbulence

I did not find the wind noise higher with no screen - just the wind force was greater.  It was more constant, a draft up under my helmet, but smooth and quieter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, New Order said:

To bad that I have cancelled my FB account. But sometimes you gotta give shit up. And for me FB is definitely shit...😬😁

Hi New Order,

You're right, sometimes this social media stuff is quite shitty, but sometimes it can be quite useful 😉.

The guy I mentioned will most likely show up in this forum soon -and he said that he will set up a website. 

Cheers, have a nice weekend in wonderful Sweden

• Like 1

That was good news.  I just had to do something about my social media time. FB can also be quite toxic, but also useful. But if he becomes a member here it's another reason to not reactivate my FB account. 🙂😎

Edited by New Order
  • Like 1

Sounds good but I am not a big fan of this shape ☹️ Maybe the top should be more narrow?

9 hours ago, Emmanuel said:

Sounds good but I am not a big fan of this shape ☹️ Maybe the top should be more narrow?

Neither do I, but the MT07 16T sprocket and big windscreen are nice for long adventure touring. After the trip, change the oem sprocket and windsreen back.

• 1 month later...

The lips at the top of the screen do wonder to eliminate/reduce turbulence. I put one in my 2013 V-Strom 650 and the before and after results were significant.

Here is the theory

LaminarLIP.jpg.45a24e4d0abdab36eb5e403f830e25ff.jpg

Here is one real life sample.

laminar_.jpg.1050b014c8c4cfb55e4fa9b353b9ab0c.jpg

• Like 3

Standard screen is OK for me at 5'-10'' and cant find any problems with it. I have not done a lot of motorway miles but it may need a higher screen. 

Mick  

Agreed. I'm 6 3" and the standard screen is perfect. If you want to go touring with the wind directed over your head, buy a gold wing or BMW RT ...

This bike isn't made for JUST long distance riding. It has so much more to offer.

Rich

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 5:10 AM, Alpenschrauber said:

Hi New Order,

You're right, sometimes this social media stuff is quite shitty, but sometimes it can be quite useful 😉.

The guy I mentioned will most likely show up in this forum soon -and he said that he will set up a website. 

Cheers, have a nice weekend in wonderful Sweden

Tell him to get ahold of me, I can make him a section on the forum and help him sell. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Tell him to get ahold of me, I can make him a section on the forum and help him sell. 

..done, some weeks ago...already here

• Premium Member

I to think the screen is ok. I'm 5' 6" on my best days. Here's my take on screen(s) in general: ride at say 70 mph odds then put your head and whole body to any side of the screen, for a while, then move back in and feel the nice difference, lol, I did just that and I was real glad to be back in behind the screen again. That's not to say the screen is perfect but it's not the worse for me anyhow. 

Edited by X Plane

I can't say anything bad about the T7 screen, it's ok for me. My average speed on highway is 120-130 km/h. I'm 1,87 m tall. Three weeks ago I've done three days trip, on last day I've been  riding for 15 hours  with diffrent speed, during rain, strong wind, at night. I own Dr650 for about ten years, it was my bike for everything. A year ago I've been riding all day long  and at the end of the day I was exhausted. What I'm saying, for man with little experience like me riding with or without a windscreen makes a big difference.

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 1

I remember a bracket  for the VStrom called Madstad. It worked very well. 

madstad-windshield-angles.jpg.6000b2636abe4505174c1d58839c3116.jpg

Initially they only sold the brackets but soon realized many stock screens would not fit. They expanded to build both screens and brackets. They got a screen for the 790, so is just matter of time before the TT700 gets one.

hero_slide_1_1024x1024.jpg?1

We manufacture the world's most comfortable motorcycle wind protection, a patented system that is adjustable for both height and angle. Unlike ordinary windshields, we give you control over the

Edited by Phaedrus
  • Like 1

I have read that the stock handguards are ineffective. What say you all? Do they not deflect enough cold wind or rain?

23 hours ago, ahamay said:

I have read that the stock handguards are ineffective. What say you all? Do they not deflect enough cold wind or rain?

They work well but they are all plastic. In the event of a strong hit, they will break. No other problem.

I have fitted the T7 Rally screen adjuster (they use the stock screen, but allows it to be slid up further).  I'm 5'10" and the 'half way' position with the adjusters is a good compromise for normal and motorway 'speed' riding.  I found the stock one fired turbulence straight at my helmet around 60-70 mph.  The T7 adjusters now lift the turbulence up enough to reduce the wind racket getting to my ears.  Well made and easy to fit from T7 Rally.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cexley said:

I have fitted the T7 Rally screen adjuster (they use the stock screen, but allows it to be slid up further).  I'm 5'10" and the 'half way' position with the adjusters is a good compromise for normal and motorway 'speed' riding.  I found the stock one fired turbulence straight at my helmet around 60-70 mph.  The T7 adjusters now lift the turbulence up enough to reduce the wind racket getting to my ears.  Well made and easy to fit from T7 Rally.

Good to know and thanks for sharing