Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

@MGG Thanks for that!. That gives me hope. I am totally with you on the clean air theme. Ideally I would like to be able to remove the screen and get the airflow of a naked bike and then just be able to add the screen in cold weather or on long trips. I am a bit surprised how much noice the front generates without the screen. If I do end up keeping the bike J will see if I can remove the whole screen holder and move the speedo down or up on the handle bar. Just to verify that it is not the fairing around the forms that is the issue when it comes to the clean air alternarive .It really is a pitty that yamaha made that tall speedo...  will report back when the givi d2145st arrives.

• Like 2

I've got the T7 screen adjuster fitted and the rally raid light guard which also changes the air slightly as it goes under the screen.

The issue I had is air coming at the side of my helmet which I think is the little side deflectors so will try the bigger rally raid ones 👍🏼

It is still a lot quieter than the Triumph 900 Rally Pro tho. 

15 hours ago, Combo said:

A=10 7/8" B=11 1/4"

Thanks Combo! Hopefully I don't have much longer to wait to get my T7. Just waiting for 'that' call to happen.

7 minutes ago, Toei said:

Has anyone tried the Kedo screen adjuster kit?  Looks like aluminum brackets rather than plastic like the T7Rally ones.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1STH1A_IXU

They look good. Also looks to be about the same movement as the T7Rally so may be about the same effect.  I think I like the knobs on the Kedo better than my T7Rally.

T7rally are supposed to be less dangerous in case of an accident or crash...

Has anyone tried removing the mirrors to solve the buffeting that’s been described especially at the sides of your helmet 🤔

Sorry to be negative but I really don't understand this topic. Or you want a dakar rally looking bike or you want a BMW RT. I bet you guys use helmets with beaks like me so it's all about compromise.

You can easily fix the turbulence with a wider screen (like the givi one...) and taller/shorter based on your height...

I just don't believe there's a single solution for this and it depends on the person.  For me, I'm buying the Puig MEM system when it comes out. Will it solve the buffeting? No... but it will help on long travels to reduce fatigue and keep the look of the bike when not needed. For me the look of the bike is really important. I think the T7 owner somehow knows this 🙂

• Like 5

On 7/7/2020 at 7:36 AM, Colddog said:

I have the same findings, waiting for the T7 rally adjuster to try to fine tune this screen.  The turbulence I'm feeling/seeing is seemingly like a form of cavitation where the low pressure area behind the screen seems to induce a popping type of buffeting.  With the screen adjuster, I'm hoping that letting a little more air under the screen may lower the differential pressure enough that the popping will be minimised. 

On another tangent, i have tried out a tall screen from online seller inpreda.  It is the best yet besides the massive barn door I built.  I hope to get the Givi sorted out because I payed so much for it that it seems like it is now family!  Lol!

Yamaha Tenere 700 40cm Touring Windshield Windscreen Deflector 2019 2020

By the looks of the Givi, it has a "point" extending down in the bottom center potentially blocking airflow up under the screen to reduce vacuum like the  Madstat  theory. I'm wondering if trimming that off of the screen to match the profile of the OEM screen would  help and negate the purchase of the adjuster? But trimming a brand new part like that just seems wrong.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the Givi windscreen plus a deflector does a good job. The air bubble is just enough for me so a tall rider would still struggle with noise.

Price:CDN$ 29.05 + CDN$ 10.98 shipping

image.png.98647940a714b9cfab836856f4710a9e.png

I did order the cheapest I could find, but I did not expect it to be sooo cheap. One of the lock levers flew off in the first 10km ... replaced them with actual bolts  ... not pretty but for short term it works.

The only problem I have is that for the noise to be acceptable the deflector needs to be in my line of sight, so it's the same thing as having a huge one. You can adjust at least, but still ...

I wanted something simple that can go offroad and I am not sure this is the right solution. Maybe a more expensive deflector would be better or a screen slider up/down.

I am still happy with the final result as I can go up to 130km/h without excessive turbulence, so for long trips this would be a must have. For short slow speed trips I suppose that the original one fits the bill.

8A34A2F8-91D3-42B8-8AA7-41152CF1FA17.jpeg

Edited by MGG
Add photo

13 hours ago, MGG said:

I can confirm that the Givi windscreen plus a deflector does a good job. The air bubble is just enough for me so a tall rider would still struggle with noise.

Price:CDN$ 29.05 + CDN$ 10.98 shipping

image.png.98647940a714b9cfab836856f4710a9e.png

I did order the cheapest I could find, but I did not expect it to be sooo cheap. One of the lock levers flew off in the first 10km ... replaced them with actual bolts  ... not pretty but for short term it works.

The only problem I have is that for the noise to be acceptable the deflector needs to be in my line of sight, so it's the same thing as having a huge one. You can adjust at least, but still ...

I wanted something simple that can go offroad and I am not sure this is the right solution. Maybe a more expensive deflector would be better or a screen slider up/down.

I am still happy with the final result as I can go up to 130km/h without excessive turbulence, so for long trips this would be a must have. For short slow speed trips I suppose that the original one fits the bill.

8A34A2F8-91D3-42B8-8AA7-41152CF1FA17.jpeg

I tried that screen with the t7 rally adjusters, set about 3/4 of the way up it was quite calm and I was still looking over it 

On 7/11/2020 at 12:59 AM, MGG said:

The sound level is quite acceptable sitting down and it depends on speed but I would say it's a bit higher than standing but that may be the top of my helmet issue. The vibration resonance may be because of the helmet visor of my Touratech Aventuro.

I will try a ride without it and report back.

Edit:

... did a test and I can confirm the sound level is lower sitting down all the way up to 100-110km/h ... after that the turbulence is taking over and standing up is better. I did remove the visor on my helmet so the actual sound/air pressure vibration is almost gone. I am glad I bought it and even as is I can live with it.

I think that a spoiler or slight mod to the angle or height might fix the vibration issue completely....  

I just wish I had clean air instead of the protected air behind the windshield. 

Got The Givi 2145st The tallest one. Best so far but not as good as a naked bike. Wind is hitting The top of my helmet causig anoying sound, also The screen wibrates increasingly from 90km up, any slight crosswind drastically increases sound levels and vibrations. I think i can get rid of The wind with help from The t7rally screen adjuster. But i then Will be looking through The screen. After ly testrun i was rally convinced. Either The screen bracket goes and The instrument box getts lowered or this bike is for sale.  Anyone knows how to achieve this?

7 hours ago, CaptainBackfire said:

Got The Givi 2145st The tallest one. Best so far but not as good as a naked bike. Wind is hitting The top of my helmet causig anoying sound, also The screen wibrates increasingly from 90km up, any slight crosswind drastically increases sound levels and vibrations. I think i can get rid of The wind with help from The t7rally screen adjuster. But i then Will be looking through The screen. After ly testrun i was rally convinced. Either The screen bracket goes and The instrument box getts lowered or this bike is for sale.  Anyone knows how to achieve this?

I think you are splitting hairs at the moment... You will have to live with a compromise.... I understand where you are coming from to a point as I've been on many bikes where buffeting was an issue but from personal experience on this bike this is not an issue to 99.9 percent of us...the bike is so good that I'm willing to live with some small compromises. 

Have you tried different helmet and earplugs combination? 

Aleks 

After spending a bit on wind shields, and materials to build a windshield, i have just found out that the stock screen works great on the high position on the T7 rally adjuster!  The other taller screens work better too, but for the hot days, the short screen will stay on.  Around here this summer, the hot days so far are really sparse as it has been raining like mad!  I sure like the 4 nut windscreen change though, i can put on whatever screen fits my fancy before i take off for the day!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Man I had this same issue on my AT...the ONLY solution I found as a taller guy was to get the MRA touring screen with the Vario deflector thing...I tried like 5 other screens, no screen, cutdown stock screen etc etc.  It was unfortunately the dorkiest looking solution, but the design of both stretched out horizontal curvature and a spoiler made extremely smooth air all the way up to around 90mph at which point I think the aerodynamics begin to get overwhelmed.  I'd suggest anyone who thinks twice about the potential negative side effects of having your brain rattled around like a paint shaker for hours by wind buffeting, let alone the distraction and discomfort, to look for the swoopiest/curviest looking thing to make the smoothest air possible - not sure if MRA makes one for the T7 yet.  I'm about to buy a T7 after a year of enjoying perfectly clean air on a naked bike...dammit I had totally forgotten the windscreen struggles..!!!

IMG_2904.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, al700 said:

Anyone installed the T7rally.com screen adjuster? I am worried there may be wind coming through the gap created when you lift the screen.

I have installed it and it reduce the wind noise substantially. The wind hit the top of my helmet, instead of the level of my eyes. Normal body 188 cm long.

Discover more about the features of our products Multiregulable Visor Clip-on. We are experts on Visors and deflectors. Welcome! - Motoplastic PUIG

This could be the final stage. The noise is ok with ear plug, even in original screen setting. I thougt everybody used ear plugs?

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I just made my first post in the 'tall screen' thread and thought I would put it here too. I an now fairly convinced that there is not one solution that will work for everybody. We are all different shapes, heights and sizes and all have different ideas of the perfect solution (other than no buffeting or bad weather at all speeds regardless of size, shape and helmet, which does not exist). I believe that Yamaha must have spent more time in the wind tunnel than the aftermarket guys and found what they feel is the best compromise. If all their test riders are Japanese, they will probably be a bit smaller than average too... 🤔 I shall try the KEDO adjusters next.

My first post on this forum. So I'll try and kill  more than two birds with one stone...

Intro: Not ridden a bike since I came back from leading bike expeditions from London to Cape Town (down the West side) 13 years ago. Turning into an old git and yearning to get back to Africa. Too much time on my hands during lock down and discovered there was a practical alternative to buying a good condition, 18-year old Africa Twin for not much more money...

I picked up my T7 in the slow colour last week from Yeovil. First things? Had the dealer fit a centre stand that looks really ugly and the Yamaha heated grips. (Just hoping they are better than some have reported!)

What's next? OSCO chain oiler arrives tomorrow. Not cheap but nicely made, very easy to fit, easy to use, not much to go wrong, economical (the 100ml bottle supplied lasts 6,000km) and can use engine oil if desperate. Yesterday, I fitted a Powerbronze rear hugger so that the bike stays a bit cleaner while we're still in love. It will come off again before the big trip. Matches the bike in matt black but they could have trimmed the edges to follow the line of the swingarm rather than protruding beyond on the exhaust side which looks rather ugly close up. (Might add a pic if requested). And..... of course, a touring screen. More on that below.

Regrets? I had no trouble manhandling big GS's across Africa on TKC80s and now I have to spend a lot of money or faff around for hours with tubes 😞

So back to touring screens. All of this post is a long way of saying that I agree with Steve. I chose Powerbronze flip screen based on days of old when I used to fit screens to my sports bikes. It looks nice (light tint), goes on easily, but I'm 6'1" and can't say I noticed a difference today at 60mph. I will do a back to back test with the OEM before offering it for sale and trying something else. I think part of the problem may be 'side buffeting' because as others have mentioned, most of these screens are quite narrow. The other thing I noticed was that, usually when I stand up on the pegs, I find clean air, but today with this screen, it made no difference.

Reading this thread, I'm not sure what to try next. But perhaps it's a case of lots of fiddling around with an adjustable or, based on what I've just said, trying something like the Givi.

Cheers, all.

Rick

P.S. I wear an Arai Tour-X with a peak. 

• Like 1

I remember borrowing a Honda Transalp. Riding in 160 km/h, noticing that the screen worked really, really well.

This must have been 25 years ago.

Notice that the screen is a bit taller and that it is ending with a curve, forcing the wind to travel higher??

I do think that Yamaha didn’t spend much time in wind tunnel. It’s more a design (looks and) that standing will be ok without any buffeting and sitting will provide basic protection, without any strange sensations.

It’s impossible to satisfy everyone, so it’s a workable basic screen that actually works with ear plug. Don’t you all use it?

29E592EA-06F1-4B82-8848-897B2E0A3559.jpeg

I'm 6'-2" with a rally seat, and the T7rally.com adjusters set to the tallest setting. Buffeting was reduced, but still quite perceptible. Fitted a Puig 'deflector wing' and the buffeting disappeared completely. Still air directly behind the screen to the point I didn't get wet in a light rain.

Then I broke one of the adjusters on my recent BC trip, so took them off, and put the screen back into the stock location, with the Puig deflector wing and it was way better than stock, but not quite as calm as with the adjusters set to max height.

I like riding with my visor open, so the air blast is kind of a pain, as is the noise. I think I will play with the stock windshield height and the deflector a bit to find the right combo, and leave it until I hit the bush. Then pop off the deflector, and tuck into my luggage, and should be good to go.

As for the why, 800km days to get to somewhere 'fun' requires a bit of comfort. Even when wearing an ADV beak helmet.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 2 months later...

No more Wind noise or buffeting. Super pleased.

Picture of GIVI screen on sale at Twisted Throttle now...comparing to stock...no more wind noise. Pic posted by another on FB.

Image may contain: one or more people, flower, tree and outdoor

First mod I did was the PowerBronze short screen. At 6’ tall with the standard seat this screen works perfect for me, just nice clean air.

This is with either my Shoei RF1200 or Arai XD4.

Lots of folks going taller and taller with the screen, maybe shorter is the answer?!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Burner said:

First mod I did was the PowerBronze short screen. At 6’ tall with the standard seat this screen works perfect for me, just nice clean air.

This is with either my Shoei RF1200 or Arai XD4.

Lots of folks going taller and taller with the screen, maybe shorter is the answer?!

I tried the PowerBronze tall screen,  it was better than stock, but I still had bad wind noise.  6' 3" tall.

The GIVI screen solved the problem for me.  From what I've read, you either go super low or super tall. The bike I sold I didn't have this problem and there was basically no screen on the bike.

Edited by ADVUSA

On 7/19/2020 at 8:59 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

I think you are splitting hairs at the moment... You will have to live with a compromise.... I understand where you are coming from to a point as I've been on many bikes where buffeting was an issue but from personal experience on this bike this is not an issue to 99.9 percent of us...the bike is so good that I'm willing to live with some small compromises. 

Have you tried different helmet and earplugs combination? 

Aleks 

For completeness, I now report back. I tried short screen and tall screen. With and without t7rally height adapter. I also tried without screen. I am aware that the wind noise means more or less for different riders. Some are happy with the compromise. I however are not. I sold the bike little more then a month after I got it. Now proud owner of a triumph 1200 scrambler xe.

No one hasn't mentioned what helmet and what kind of hearing protection they are using.

Two months ago I bought custom fitted ear plugs. They were rather expensive but I you can only lose your hearing once.

And wow! No wind noise or any of the shredding sounds, only clear traffic sounds and clear beuatiful engine sound. 

And the best thing is that I can wear these all day with out sore feeling in my ears. And I don't have to take them off during brakes or pauses. I hear all the bullshit and bad jokes clearly.

Money well spend.

• Like 2

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced