Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

I installed the power Bronze tall, and just as many inches taller (4" I believe), the wind now hits me in the visor vs in the bottom of the windscreen. I'm 6'4" for reference and I use the Shoei Hornet X2 so the visor doesn't catch much air. 

12 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

I was shocked at the difference, more experimenting necessary but promising. Will remove right side next with just the doubletake mirror on the left. My phone mount likely adding turbulence as well

PXL_20210223_231337747.jpg

PXL_20210223_231025133.jpg

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

Can't wait to get my DoubleTake mirrors, I bet they're pretty useful!

16 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Before you spend ANY money, do the flat hand turbulence test I explained on Friday (above) to see what you are dealing with that is specific to you and your bike. Once you have learned what you are dealing with, then you can determine if spending money is warranted, and on what.

To recap the method, one a flat straight road, preferably without wind or traffic, get up to speed, and take your left hand and hold it upright, palm open flat, and hold it up behind the screen and then move it up/out left and right from the screen and 'feel' the wind. Then bring it back towards you and you will 'feel' the flow separation (turbulence). Ideally this turbulence should be behind your helmet/body, but with the upright windscreen of the T7, it is very likely very close to the screen lip in front of you. If you are relatively short and look through the screen, you might be fine. If you are really tall, you also might be fine. If you are like me, 6'-2", you are right in the WRONG place. Good luck.

great advice - nice one

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t know whether this has been mentioned on here, but check out Dirk Schaefer’s solution at 5:30 in his T7 review on YT. Has anyone else tried this?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Don’t know whether this has been mentioned on here, but check out Dirk Schaefer’s solution at 5:30 in his T7 review on YT. Has anyone else tried this?

I would like to see that In more detail.. 

I did a 3-hour ride today mostly at highway speeds, and I sure get a lot of wind turbulence noise. I have a longer ride planned for tomorrow, and I'm going to take the screen off for comparison. I think the smooth airflow of no-screen will be quieter than the turbulence noise I get with-screen. I'm 5'11". We'll see.

3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Clever. Assuming there is a gap between the stock windshield and the added 'visor' material, this will likely create a nice laminar airflow back fill behind the stock screen thus reducing the low pressure area the screen creates. Should work well. Not sure how tall he is though so it may only be a partial solution.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 3/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, Rickster said:

Thanks for your post Rickster.

Tried this out today and happy to report it was a SUCCESS. 

Much quieter and clean air while in the seated position.

I’m running the Powerbronze low windscreen slid up to the highest position with the T-7 adjusters.

6’ tall with a XD-4 helmet 

1A841343-7E11-4A89-BCEC-B8E2F3637E0B.jpeg

CB2D161D-8F34-46E6-B501-1B5E2D38D9B1.jpeg

• Like 5

That looks fantastic. Professionally made (...with vents for fine tuning) 😄

How did you make it with such precision?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

That looks fantastic. Professionally made (...with vents for fine tuning) 😄

How did you make it with such precision?

Thanks. I started out with a Arai shield I had in the garage. Then I scribed it with a sharpie to the bikes contours and shaped it with a angle grinder with a flapper disc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zbob said:

Thanks. I started out with a Arai shield I had in the garage. Then I scribed it with a sharpie to the bikes contours and shaped it with a angle grinder with a flapper disc.

I knew I had seen those vents somewhere!  I have a lip spoiler on order, but if that doesn't work I'll be shopping for an angle grinder.  Already have a donor Arai visor.  😅

• Like 1

Does anyone have a link to the OEM screen spoiler? I can't seem to find it as a factory accessory. On my previous bike (RRP CB500X) I solved my buffeting problems with some Bruud risers and an MRA lip, but the MRA range only goes down to 7" and I measure the OEM screen top at 6". I know the ergo's are completely different but I think it's worth a try.

1 hour ago, Mudchute said:

Does anyone have a link to the OEM screen spoiler? I can't seem to find it as a factory accessory. On my previous bike (RRP CB500X) I solved my buffeting problems with some Bruud risers and an MRA lip, but the MRA range only goes down to 7" and I measure the OEM screen top at 6". I know the ergo's are completely different but I think it's worth a try.

Is this the one you are looking for.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/OEM-Yamaha-Add-On-Screen-Narrow-Tenere-700

• Like 1

I have run a Puig lip spoiler on the stock screen with and without the T7 adjusters at max and min. If you are over 6' tall, it doesn't help much. If you are below 6', it is a good solution.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

18 hours ago, Zbob said:

Looks great!  How did you secure it?  I too have the power bronze sport and adj sliders.  Any idea if this would work if one was 6'3 and on the rally seat?

Thanks for your post Rickster.

Tried this out today and happy to report it was a SUCCESS. 

Much quieter and clean air while in the seated position.

I’m running the Powerbronze low windscreen slid up to the highest position with the T-7 adjusters.

6’ tall with a XD-4 helmet 

1A841343-7E11-4A89-BCEC-B8E2F3637E0B.jpeg

CB2D161D-8F34-46E6-B501-1B5E2D38D9B1.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyloki said:

Zip tied to the wind screen supports. Windscreen is still fully adjustable. When checking airflow it was a little above my visor.

I’m 6’tall running a low seat concept seat.

I had success with the powerbronze wind deflectors.  Cut down a bunch of wind to the upper body/under helmet area.  Long highway rides see the givi screen in use, will try a clip on deflector soon to fine tune it.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop into this thread to say that after reading everything here I decided to try the MRA touring windscreen.  I live near Vancouver, BC and wanted to source it from a Canadian company if possible.  I saw that Motostarz in Richmond, BC sold that brand (but not the screen for the Tenere) so I contacted them and asked if they could order it for me.  I had a reply within 40 minutes and a link to their website where I could order it already.  SUPER fast customer service I'd say.  I've ordered from them before and it was the same fast service.  Hopefully it solves my buffeting problems but for now I thought I'd give fellow Canadians a heads up about the company.    Here is the link to the screen.  

Tenere_700_2019-_TM1_A_4025066167401.jpg

With its 204kg, the slim waisted and high Ténéré is light-weight, has a wonderfully smooth steering behaviour and is fun as a travelling companion…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SportNorth said:

Just wanted to pop into this thread to say that after reading everything here I decided to try the MRA touring windscreen.  I live near Vancouver, BC and wanted to source it from a Canadian company if possible.  I saw that Motostarz in Richmond, BC sold that brand (but not the screen for the Tenere) so I contacted them and asked if they could order it for me.  I had a reply within 40 minutes and a link to their website where I could order it already.  SUPER fast customer service I'd say.  I've ordered from them before and it was the same fast service.  Hopefully it solves my buffeting problems but for now I thought I'd give fellow Canadians a heads up about the company.    Here is the link to the screen.  

Tenere_700_2019-_TM1_A_4025066167401.jpg

With its 204kg, the slim waisted and high Ténéré is light-weight, has a wonderfully smooth steering behaviour and is fun as a travelling companion…

I hope this screen works, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Like 1

@SportNorth For my last buffeting-related purchase I purchased the OEM lip spoiler and it does help a bit, but I'd prefer the cleaner look without the extra hardware hanging off the top.  So I'm also looking forward to your thoughts.

The MRA has a similar overall profile as the Ermax screen I tried (with the big "flip" upper section), but the MRA has that special rolled-over edge which might clean up the air flow coming off of it.  I was not happy with the Ermax.  

• Like 1

HELLO EVERYONE,

I DID TRY THE IDEA FROM DIRK SCHAEFER. ITS DOES WORK!!! I INSTALLED A LAMINAR LIP TO THE OEM FAIRING ALSO. I CAN RIDE WITH VISOR UP ON MY FULL FACE HELMET AT LEAST TO 60 MPH!

I TOOK AN OLD FACESHIELD OFF ANOTHER HELMET AND TRIMMED IT SO IT BOLTS TO THE OEM BOLTS HOLES WITH M5 LONGER BOLTS WITH NYLOC NUTS. THIS SMOOTHS OUT THE AIR BEHIND THE FAIRING SO THE AIR ON BOTH SIDES OF FAIRING HAVE EQUAL PRESSURE. NO BUFFETING!

fairing.jpg

IMG-0274.jpg

IMG-0273.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RACEBANNON said:

HELLO EVERYONE,

I DID TRY THE IDEA FROM DIRK SCHAEFER. ITS DOES WORK!!! I INSTALLED A LAMINAR LIP TO THE OEM FAIRING ALSO. I CAN RIDE WITH VISOR UP ON MY FULL FACE HELMET AT LEAST TO 60 MPH!

I TOOK AN OLD FACESHIELD OFF ANOTHER HELMET AND TRIMMED IT SO IT BOLTS TO THE OEM BOLTS HOLES WITH M5 LONGER BOLTS WITH NYLOC NUTS. THIS SMOOTHS OUT THE AIR BEHIND THE FAIRING SO THE AIR ON BOTH SIDES OF FAIRING HAVE EQUAL PRESSURE. NO BUFFETING!

fairing.jpg

IMG-0274.jpg

IMG-0273.jpg

That's great you found something that works for you!  And even better that it didn't cost you much if anything.  Do you mind explaining to me what issue you had that it solved for you?  

I am trying to solve two issues (maybe they have the same solution but I don't know).  I have horrible wind noise in my ears.  Even with a full face and ear plugs, the wind noise is unacceptable. Im hoping I can solve this with the MRA windshield.  The second area that the wind beats on me is my shoulders/upper arms.  On the highway yesterday, I actually think I determined that air was coming off my mirrors.  So maybe the wider/taller/lippier windshield won't solve that issue for me.