Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Your skid plate.. Love it? Hate it?

Calibre

Hi guys, I still need to order a skid plate... Please tell us how you like yours and help us new buyers pick the right one. I've decided I need linkage protection, but please review any and all. 

@Cruizin can you please add skid plate tags? The tag box shows blank on my android phone, but I know they're in there! 

• Like 1

Thanks, but I'm from the left(English) side of Canada! Haha. I'll load it on the desktop and google translate it. 

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

I have the AXP but don’t have a bike to put it on yet. Looks like a quality skid plate. Will see how it goes on and fits. 

• Like 1

Argh. The indecision is killing me! Lol. B&B is once again shipping to Canada, so they're technically in the mix, but they're made to order @ 1-2weeks, plus dicey shipping.

I currently have a Camel Gut Guard and an AXP plate in the final page of checkout. I iterally can't make up my mind. The Camel piece is such a work of art, but the AXP definitely takes the cake for protection. I need to order... I'm picking up my bike in 2 days. 

I use outback it is ok it has also linkage and sensor cover 

IMG_20200512_192115_271.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Calibre said:

Argh. The indecision is killing me! Lol. B&B is once again shipping to Canada, so they're technically in the mix, but they're made to order @ 1-2weeks, plus dicey shipping.

I currently have a Camel Gut Guard and an AXP plate in the final page of checkout. I iterally can't make up my mind. The Camel piece is such a work of art, but the AXP definitely takes the cake for protection. I need to order... I'm picking up my bike in 2 days. 

I just got the Camel skid plate in the mail a week go and can say without a doubt it's a piece of art. Such attention to detail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have the Camel Gut Guard, VERY happy with my decision. The quality and detail is top notch and I’m supporting a CDN small business, that means something to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does the Camel have sidestand sensor coverage? There's nothing from Camel on their website or release pages. 

• Like 1

Can't seem to get an answer weather the Camel ADV one will work with the Yamaha center stand or OM crash bars either

I saw on another thread where Camel responded it would not interfere with a center stand. 

About half way down the first page. "No issues with the OEM center stand or lowering links.". 

And not sure about sidestand sensor coverage, as I don't even have my freaking bike yet lol. Just really like that they're a small Canadian company and design products like this for bikes because they ride the piss out of them. Not garage queens. So his products come from a perspective of utility which I appreciate. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Calibre said:

Does the Camel have sidestand sensor coverage? There's nothing from Camel on their website or release pages. 

I just looked at the location of the sidestand switch and no the skid plate does not extend that far back, that said I can't see how it could really.  The switch is already tucked up high & well protected, not something I'm worried about whatsoever.

Also keep in mind the Camel guard is 4.75mm thick, others that I looked at are 4mm.

It also has the extra (5th) mounting point that connects through the suspension linkage mount in the frame at the back of the guard.  I don't remember seeing any pictures of the 5th mounting point on the Camel website but it it makes a lot of sense. It supports the UHMW slider & the rear of the guard brilliantly. 

These are well thought out & well engineered features that actually work!

Edited by Burner
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Burner said:

I just looked at the location of the sidestand switch and no the skid plate does not extend that far back, that said I can't see how it could really.  The switch is already tucked up high & well protected, not something I'm worried about whatsoever.

Thanks. Some of the Euro and Aussie guys who've had their bikes for a while are having issues with the delicate nature of the sensor, and it's enough of an issue that several other skid plate makers have made it a specifically-covered area, whether for marketing or actual necessity. 

I just added more info to my last reply above... 

I'll go & take another look at the sensor location.  Looking at what OutbackMoto did on their skid plate for the side stand switch protection doesn't make sense to me, maybe I'm missing something though.  Also the linkage protection feature on the OutbackMoto unit is a deflector at best, it does not cover the linkage & it certainly does not provide any assistance in sliding over obstacles, in fact it would do the exact opposite.  I only have to look at my dirt bikes to see how much punishment the linkage gets!

• Like 2

Maybe these will help...  in the last pic you can just see the extra mounting point (bottom right corner).

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

Edited by Burner
  • Like 2

Thanks, I just ordered a black Gut Guard. 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Calibre said:

Thanks. Some of the Euro and Aussie guys who've had their bikes for a while are having issues with the delicate nature of the sensor, and it's enough of an issue that several other skid plate makers have made it a specifically-covered area, whether for marketing or actual necessity. 

I'm removing my sidestand switch. It's not needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

That sounds like the smartest solution. 👍

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:39 AM, Cruizin said:

Well, at least it's an essential safety device.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, Cruizin said:

Why would you do that ?

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, Cruizin said:

yup ill be removing mine too along with clutch switch.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Limey said:

Why would you do that ?

To avoid pulling out your side cutters out on the trail. Really easy to bypass.

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

27 minutes ago, Mr.motarded said:

yup ill be removing mine too along with clutch switch.

I can see why on the sidestand switch but why would you do the clutch switch?

Couple reasons, 1 I like to use aftermarket RSC easy clutch lever and that doesn't work with clutch switch, and #2 some times its nice to be able to turn the motor over with starter while clutch is out, like in a sticky situation off road where you just need to Bump a rotation or 2 to the back tire to get up and over something, this is a rock crawling trick that does come in handy on tough trails.

T7RALLY  do a simple sidestand bypass switch .....Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1