Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain guide

Rider 101

It looks like the OEM chain guides are on perpetual back order in Oz. Has anyone grafted and after market guide to the swing arm?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Didn't see anything aftermarket yet. I think the position of the mounting threads are very specific.

Ive ordered the oem version which actually looks pretty good, should stop chain slap when off road!

you could order from the uk and get it sent over as as far as i can see its very worth it

F03998D1-AC78-4234-84A0-0859B6E77591.jpeg

32C2B019-1109-4930-8B19-D2B3A76DCF62.jpeg

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

I have an OEM chain guide +8000km, works great and is easy to install. The new chain guide is loud but after a couple of thousand miles it is quieter.

Not much point in ordering from outside Australia yet. There are bugger all flights coming into Oz.

Anyone have a PN handy for the chain guide? Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Behindbars said:

Anyone have a PN handy for the chain guide? Thanks! 

6B56249B-6DA4-4854-A6D5-ADD9DDAC7F4E.png

• Thanks 1

Ordered one of these.

Acerbis Plastics Chain Guides for Yamaha

A bit of heavy aluminium angle and a drill and it should fit. That will be next Friday's job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Ordered one of these.

A bit of heavy aluminium angle and a drill and it should fit. That will be next Friday's job.

Could you please post a picture how it goes, I'm interested.

3D design and print an adapter block that bolts up to the T7 swing arm, via those two vertical threaded inserts.

Design block with perpendicular holes, for chain guide to mate to and bolt through with the bolts provided with the chain guide. Maybe even line the perpendicular hole with metal tubing for the bolts to go through for re-enforceing the 3D printed adapter block.

I will do it myself as I have solid works and a commercial 3D printer (ABS plastic). I just need my bike (to arrive) to take measurements to design a block.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Ordered one of these.

Oh damn, that looks sexy...

cant wait for your report!

Bloody supplier in Sydney didn't have one in stock! I only found out today when I rang to get an update on the order. The dispatcher couldn't find it on Monday and didn't have the courtesy to call. Had a dummy spit and cancelled the order.

I rang a well known Brisbane supplier to see if they had stock. They were most helpful so one is being express posted. I should see by next Friday.

Still no sign of the OEM in Australia

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 1

I have a chain guide installed. Sorry i'm a tech n00b but does this make removal of the rear wheel more difficult?

3 hours ago, Aarslikkerdanny said:

I have a chain guide installed. Sorry i'm a tech n00b but does this make removal of the rear wheel more difficult?

No you’ll be fine. At least mine was ok.

• Like 2

As MCAS in Sydney are so useless I ordered from MXStore in Brisbane yesterday afternoon. My account now shows the item is dispatched with a tracking number so I should receive it by next Friday.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:02 PM, Rider 101 said:

As MCAS in Sydney are so useless I ordered from MXStore in Brisbane yesterday afternoon. My account now shows the item is dispatched with a tracking number so I should receive it by next Friday.

Can you post a link to the chain guide on MXStore - they still dont list the T700 at all and I cant find the chain guide. Thanks

Hi Paul,

it isn't T7 specific. I will have to use some heavy aluminium angle to fabricate an adapter. It is at the PO waiting for me to pick up. I will do something over the weekend and post up photos and dimensions.

17952.090.jpg?20171026134642

Buy your Acerbis Yamaha YZ/YZF/WRF 125-450 Black 2.0 Chain Guide online at MXstore. Australian owned, amazing service & fast free shipping* on over 100,000 products.

Had a message from someone from Yamaha OZ on a FB post. Most parts are in transit from Europe and  on a ship and due in oz early August. 

I just ordered one..Thanks, if I only had something to put it on..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jetdr21 said:

I just ordered one..Thanks, if I only had something to put it on..

I had to clean shelving for all my 700 parts. I was so ready to give up, after putting down a deposit 6 months ago which meant nothing and buy a 790 even when I had a claim number from the cage match, which also meant nothing, and then realized that I have so many parts from being excited about the bike and just really like hearing about the tractor nature of the motor so figured Id wait for however long it is.

Just got a puppy too, so spending a lot of time with her training and hiking and figured patience isn't such a bad thing. All good things come to those who wait. 

• Like 3

Be patient brother, this bike is gold!  Worth the wait!

On 6/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, johnnygolucky said:

I had to clean shelving for all my 700 parts. I was so ready to give up, after putting down a deposit 6 months ago which meant nothing and buy a 790 even when I had a claim number from the cage match, which also meant nothing, and then realized that I have so many parts from being excited about the bike and just really like hearing about the tractor nature of the motor so figured Id wait for however long it is.

Just got a puppy too, so spending a lot of time with her training and hiking and figured patience isn't such a bad thing. All good things come to those who wait. 

• Like 1

Still no sign of the OEM in Oz so I did this

Fabricated a bracket from 25 x 25 x 6 aluminium angle. This is version 1. If it works OK I will fine tune a new bracket. It took me about 2 hours of fiddling last night and a bit of paint this morning. The holes drilled are all 6.5mm. The two where it mounts to the swing arm need to be carefully slotted to allow for alignment with the chain. There isn't much room but it will keep the chain running straight. I also had to carefully remove some plastic from adjacent to the mounting holes to get the angle to sit flat and snug.

Test ride tomorrow.

DSC02474.jpg

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3