Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Adventure Spec crash bars

Mr.motarded

Anyone trail tested the adventure spec crash bars. I just pulled the trigger and bougt them for my bike. I wasn't going to get any crash bars for my T7 but the adventure spec bars are light weight and not overly bulky.  They look great. 

Anyone else with them that can tell us about the strength.  

I know the adventure spec guy did a big ride with multiple drops and didn't look like any damage to his bike. I also bought the rear rack and skid plate from adventure spec. Hope they gey here soon. 

Screenshot_20200607-081248_Instagram.jpg

• Like 3

Can`t help you with the Adventure Spec crashbars (I have some myself, but not tested them out yet), however, is that the Leo vince can? I am looking at getting one..How do you like it?

2 hours ago, Andyff013 said:

Can`t help you with the Adventure Spec crashbars (I have some myself, but not tested them out yet), however, is that the Leo vince can? I am looking at getting one..How do you like it?

I'm pretty sure that's not his personal bike. It looks like @Sevent7n on instagram.

But I'm also here for the answer to his question. The Adventure-spec bars seem to be the most economical option I've found, but they seem to have the fewest mounting points. Also, are aluminium, not steel like other option.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:56 AM, Mr.motarded said:

Anyone trail tested the adventure spec crash bars. I just pulled the trigger and bougt them for my bike. I wasn't going to get any crash bars for my T7 but the adventure spec bars are light weight and not overly bulky.  They look great. 

Anyone else with them that can tell us about the strength.  

I know the adventure spec guy did a big ride with multiple drops and didn't look like any damage to his bike. I also bought the rear rack and skid plate from adventure spec. Hope they gey here soon. 

Curious to if you find that they would work with a high fender mod when you get them. 

From the install video, it looks like the ADV Spec engine guard's top cross bar mounts to a provided bracket that mounts above the lower triple clamp.  Not quite sure what that provided bracket is bolting onto.

The Camel ADV high fender kit mounts to the underside of the lower triple clamp. The high fenders mount to the underside of the CADV high fender kit block.

To my inexperienced opinion, it looks like the combo of these two accessories and a high fender should work and fit?!

Some of yall will find out before me.

I have the ADV Spec Crash Bars and Camel ADV high fender kit ordered, but no T7 for some time.  I'll find out eventually, when I finally get my T7.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

From the install video, it looks like the ADV Spec engine guard's top cross bar mounts to a provided bracket that mounts above the lower triple clamp.  Not quite sure what that provided bracket is bolting onto.

The Camel ADV high fender kit mounts to the underside of the lower triple clamp. The high fenders mount to the underside of the CADV high fender kit block.

To my inexperienced opinion, it looks like the combo of these two accessories and a high fender should work and fit?!

Some of yall will find out before me.

I have the ADV Spec Crash Bars and Camel ADV high fender kit ordered, but no T7 for some time.  I'll find out eventually, when I finally get my T7.

@Sevent7n, the guy who own's the bike OP posted as an example, now has the CADV high fender kit installed. He said he needed a couple of washers as spacers, but it otherwise bolted right on as it should.

100900985_691066471460247_4722799097073395073_n.jpg

96753783_1028038504277721_3949751420722828497_n.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, I have tested the AS crashbar, at low speed. I wanted to put my left foot  down on a slope and I was caught off guard. 😏 The only damage was to my ego. Don't let the notion of aluminium construction sway you, it's not a cheap grade of cheese aluminium. I have also installed additional replaceable plastic protectors from EBay so they are less likely to be damaged due to  operator error. 😊 

s-l400.jpg

25mm Motorcycle Bumper Engine Protective Guard Crash Bars Decorative Block Dismantling Suitable for BMW R1200GS LC...

Similar to the  ones I am using. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Louis said:

Hi, I have tested the AS crashbar, at low speed. I wanted to put my left foot  down on a slope and I was caught off guard. 😏 The only damage was to my ego. Don't let the notion of aluminium construction sway you, it's not a cheap grade of cheese aluminium. I have also installed additional replaceable plastic protectors from EBay so they are less likely to be damaged due to  operator error. 😊 nd Crash Slider Bumper

That's a great idea! Thanks for the info

Edited by CasualADV
  • Like 1

Yeah the aluminum vs steel crash bars is kinda a bad reason to not get the bars.  Handle bars are aluminum and stronger then the old steel bars. If the wall thickness is enough they will be stronger then the steel me personally wouldn't want steel crash bars. 

• Like 1

Five falls so far on the Adv Spec bars.

Three times in soft sand, no issues at all as might be expected.

Twice at low speed on a steep and rocky hill track was a better test. No issues from the impacts, no bending of the bars, the only permanent sign is scratch marks from having to drag the bike around to a better position for lifting. Good protection of the plastics up front (assisted by Barkbusters).

Unfortunately the bars can't always protect the exhaust and brake pedal!

Very happy with the weight and protection provided, scratch marks can be covered with black marker pen!

148846987_2020-05-1817_17_06.thumb.jpg.70e549f6c8a00c0d1408b984fe2b5e9a.jpg

1453822428_2020-05-1817_17.09-1.thumb.jpg.2e8eff3e1ae8bfa5fde77a7243d88d96.jpg208113952_2020-05-1817_17_03.thumb.jpg.5b5e5c92aac7d649b1bd65833dc17dd2.jpg291703067_2020-05-1817_17.01-1.thumb.jpg.a7b2e70493cc9faca607d2cefff1d6be.jpg

• Like 8

The correct grade of aluminum (not sure what AS is using) can be every bit as strong as steel when correctly engineered to distribute the load. Honestly, the light weight of these is the entire reason to buy these. 6.1lbs vs the Heed crash bars at 21lbs! We love this bike because it doesn't weigh 600lbs like many adv machines. So don't go bolting on a bunch of steel bars because it "looks stronger."

Thanks to those of you that posted your crashes. That's even more confidence inspiring. Hopefully mine arrive soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sbeck09 said:

The correct grade of aluminum (not sure what AS is using) can be every bit as strong as steel when correctly engineered to distribute the load. Honestly, the light weight of these is the entire reason to buy these. 6.1lbs vs the Heed crash bars at 21lbs! We love this bike because it doesn't weigh 600lbs like many adv machines. So don't go bolting on a bunch of steel bars because it "looks stronger."

Thanks to those of you that posted your crashes. That's even more confidence inspiring. Hopefully mine arrive soon.

As the person that brought up the steel vs aluminium, I am aware of the strength benefits of the correct grade of aluminium. I do have a little bit of a machining background. Not that i think anyone is jumping on me for that. However, weight aside, i was thinking about steel being easier to weld/repair/modify, as well as more points to stick a magnetic flashlight. Hardly issues to be concerned with, but again, I didn't really know the grade of aluminium that was used. There's been enough evidence presented to tell me it should stand up to what I'll throw at it. Hopefully

• Like 1

Aluminium is 6000 series weight is little more than 3kg. It doesn't matter how much scaffolding you install as crash protection on a motorcycle, a well placed rock WILL do damage. Keeping it lightweight is very important than most other considerations for me.

Can't see reasons for modifications, but  would not be doing that on the trail anyway. If steel bars need  welding repairs, either due to poor quality or I think most likely that the bike fell of a cliff. Would be more than just crashbar to repair. 😏

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jetdr21 said:

Does anyone have any fit issues with any skidplates?

Shouldn't. The bars mount well above the area where the skid plate covers. I've seen 3 different skid plates used with these now and not one word of interference. 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:18 PM, Louis said:

Hi, I have tested the AS crashbar, at low speed. I wanted to put my left foot  down on a slope and I was caught off guard. 😏 The only damage was to my ego. Don't let the notion of aluminium construction sway you, it's not a cheap grade of cheese aluminium. I have also installed additional replaceable plastic protectors from EBay so they are less likely to be damaged due to  operator error. 😊 

s-l400.jpg

25mm Motorcycle Bumper Engine Protective Guard Crash Bars Decorative Block Dismantling Suitable for BMW R1200GS LC...

I like the look of the round engine guard sliders on eBay. Available in Black or Red. They come with several inserts for different guard diameters.

eBay search "engine crash bar bumper plastic slider", you can add "red' to the search to narrow the search results down.

slider 2.PNG

engine slider.PNG

30 minutes ago, Toyboy said:

Who has these here in the US? ADV spec US website down til the 1st of July. Did call and leave a message. 

I was hoping I would by now since I ordered them over a week ago, but I haven't seen or heard anything. Not even an email.

My ADV Spec order is still unfulfilled, I can still check my order status.

But, I'm patient... I still don't have my T7.

I was hoping to buy all the accessories and parts while in stock, before the mad rush when everyone begins to get their hands on their T7 Unicorn.

Adventure Spec have been redoing their website and and ordering platform so things may not be that efficient just now.  I have the full set of products: bars, bash plate, rack and tail tidy and they have been great to deal with and delivered as promised although they had delays due to the current virus situation.  Their stuff is excellent and you will be happy  when the goods come through.

• Like 1

I went with the Yamaha crash bars because of their weight and the way that they mount.

Many of the crash bars utilize the front rails for mounting, this bothers me that Yamaha says when referencing their frame design, that the engine is a stress member allowing for lighter non-structural front rails.

Anything that is called non-structural does not seem like the best place to mount your crash bars.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 2