Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Calibre

Best tubes brand or sizes?

Question

Calibre

Hi all, I need to finish building a spares kit, and maybe change out the tubes preventatively of they're light duty. What do you recommend for heavy-duty tubes? I'm willing to take a weight hit for increased reliability as I've been out in the no-cell wilds a couple times now! I feel dumb for going out without them. 

12 answers to this question

Limey
1 hour ago, Calibre said:

Hi all, I need to finish building a spares kit, and maybe change out the tubes preventatively of they're light duty. What do you recommend for heavy-duty tubes? I'm willing to take a weight hit for increased reliability as I've been out in the no-cell wilds a couple times now! I feel dumb for going out without them. 

Go tubeless.

• Like 1

Cruizin
1 hour ago, Limey said:

Go tubeless.

And prey you don't get a puncture offroad.  Hardcore enduro guys stick with tubes for a reason. 

And alot of them swear by these tubes by Kenda. 

Get low prices with fast shipping on {{ProductName}} for motorcycles. BikeBandit is your destination for OEM and aftermarket parts, gear and more!

Limey
35 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

And prey you don't get a puncture offroad.  Hardcore enduro guys stick with tubes for a reason. 

And alot of them sear by these tubes by Kenda. 

Get low prices with fast shipping on {{ProductName}} for motorcycles. BikeBandit is your destination for OEM and aftermarket parts, gear and more!

I’ve had punctures off road on my Super Ténéré and my 790 and it’s  a hell of a lot easier than pulling a wheel in a bug infested forest.

Cruizin
6 minutes ago, Limey said:

I’ve had punctures off road on my Super Ténéré and my 790 and it’s  a hell of a lot easier than pulling a wheel in a bug infested forest.

For easy little punctures yeah tubeless is easy to repair with the right repair kit. but a rock slice or anything worse than a small puncture and you are stranded without a spare tube and tire irons. 

Im often 40 miles offroad from the nearest highway. I would be screwed.

Limey
4 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

For easy little punctures yeah tubeless is easy to repair with the right repair kit. but a rock slice or anything worse than a small puncture and you are stranded without a spare tube and tire irons. 

I carry tubes also for that reason and never used one yet. Mind you I have had to install 3 sticky worms from a stone puncher on the Dawson on the way back from Deadhorse.

• Like 2

Limey
53 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

If you like remote you should ride the Trans Taiga road Quebec. 700 km from the nearest town we needed carry 20 litres of extra fuel.

• Like 4

ScorpionT16
2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

And alot of them swear by these tubes by Kenda. 

T7 isn't a hardcore enduro bike, and those guys mostly run Mousses or Tubeliss as-well. look at pro Mountain Bikers, also all tubeless. You can carry a tube and use it in a pinch on a tubeless tire. No risk of front blow outs either or sudden pressure drops, pinch flats, etc. Unless you want to go lower than 19psi, which even on such big bikes isn't recommended, not sure why one would want to deal with the headaches of a tube

• Like 2

Calibre

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do a 1000km Northern Vancouver Island route next week where a sat-phone is recommended. So self-reliance is a high importance even though it will be in a group. I don't have time to source new tires or a tubeless kit. I will consider that for the future, but there was a lot of sharp shale where I was on Saturday. 

• Like 1

johnnygolucky
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Calibre said:

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do a 1000km Northern Vancouver Island route next week where a sat-phone is recommended. So self-reliance is a high importance even though it will be in a group. I don't have time to source new tires or a tubeless kit. I will consider that for the future, but there was a lot of sharp shale where I was on Saturday. 

Grab a thick 21" tube. You can also use it for the back if in a pinch. Jealous of your ride. I live in Bellingham and have wanted to ride Vancouver Island for years. Have fun man. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Thanks 1

T7-Dave

The Island is great. I've lived here since I was born waaaaaay back in 76. Lots of great roads. Also lots of logging roads and trails. Not much on the South Island any more but plenty North of Mill Bay. We sell good quality Michelin tubes at my shop, no complaints so far with them.

• Like 1

TimmyTheHog

man, post up some pictures when you there man.

Always want to play north of the island...only started to venture at the south of it as I typically stick East of Hope...

Calibre

A bit of thread drift, but this why I need the best tubes I can find... 

https://northisland1000.com

Almost no pavement. Mostly logging roads so not exactly hardcore singletrack, but remote. 

• Like 3