Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best tubes brand or sizes?

Calibre

Hi all, I need to finish building a spares kit, and maybe change out the tubes preventatively of they're light duty. What do you recommend for heavy-duty tubes? I'm willing to take a weight hit for increased reliability as I've been out in the no-cell wilds a couple times now! I feel dumb for going out without them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calibre said:

Hi all, I need to finish building a spares kit, and maybe change out the tubes preventatively of they're light duty. What do you recommend for heavy-duty tubes? I'm willing to take a weight hit for increased reliability as I've been out in the no-cell wilds a couple times now! I feel dumb for going out without them. 

Go tubeless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limey said:

Go tubeless.

And prey you don't get a puncture offroad.  Hardcore enduro guys stick with tubes for a reason. 

And alot of them swear by these tubes by Kenda. 

Get low prices with fast shipping on {{ProductName}} for motorcycles. BikeBandit is your destination for OEM and aftermarket parts, gear and more!

35 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

And prey you don't get a puncture offroad.  Hardcore enduro guys stick with tubes for a reason. 

And alot of them sear by these tubes by Kenda. 

Get low prices with fast shipping on {{ProductName}} for motorcycles. BikeBandit is your destination for OEM and aftermarket parts, gear and more!

I’ve had punctures off road on my Super Ténéré and my 790 and it’s  a hell of a lot easier than pulling a wheel in a bug infested forest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Limey said:

I’ve had punctures off road on my Super Ténéré and my 790 and it’s  a hell of a lot easier than pulling a wheel in a bug infested forest.

For easy little punctures yeah tubeless is easy to repair with the right repair kit. but a rock slice or anything worse than a small puncture and you are stranded without a spare tube and tire irons. 

Im often 40 miles offroad from the nearest highway. I would be screwed.

4 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

For easy little punctures yeah tubeless is easy to repair with the right repair kit. but a rock slice or anything worse than a small puncture and you are stranded without a spare tube and tire irons. 

I carry tubes also for that reason and never used one yet. Mind you I have had to install 3 sticky worms from a stone puncher on the Dawson on the way back from Deadhorse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

If you like remote you should ride the Trans Taiga road Quebec. 700 km from the nearest town we needed carry 20 litres of extra fuel.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

And alot of them swear by these tubes by Kenda. 

T7 isn't a hardcore enduro bike, and those guys mostly run Mousses or Tubeliss as-well. look at pro Mountain Bikers, also all tubeless. You can carry a tube and use it in a pinch on a tubeless tire. No risk of front blow outs either or sudden pressure drops, pinch flats, etc. Unless you want to go lower than 19psi, which even on such big bikes isn't recommended, not sure why one would want to deal with the headaches of a tube

• Like 3

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do a 1000km Northern Vancouver Island route next week where a sat-phone is recommended. So self-reliance is a high importance even though it will be in a group. I don't have time to source new tires or a tubeless kit. I will consider that for the future, but there was a lot of sharp shale where I was on Saturday. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Calibre said:

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do a 1000km Northern Vancouver Island route next week where a sat-phone is recommended. So self-reliance is a high importance even though it will be in a group. I don't have time to source new tires or a tubeless kit. I will consider that for the future, but there was a lot of sharp shale where I was on Saturday. 

Grab a thick 21" tube. You can also use it for the back if in a pinch. Jealous of your ride. I live in Bellingham and have wanted to ride Vancouver Island for years. Have fun man. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Thanks 1

The Island is great. I've lived here since I was born waaaaaay back in 76. Lots of great roads. Also lots of logging roads and trails. Not much on the South Island any more but plenty North of Mill Bay. We sell good quality Michelin tubes at my shop, no complaints so far with them.

• Like 1

man, post up some pictures when you there man.

Always want to play north of the island...only started to venture at the south of it as I typically stick East of Hope...

A bit of thread drift, but this why I need the best tubes I can find... 

https://northisland1000.com

Almost no pavement. Mostly logging roads so not exactly hardcore singletrack, but remote. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Teneighty said:

I did a search on this forum and got to this thread. And zero people helped. Ridiculous. Haha. 

Thanks for not being helpful👍  Suggestions??

Edited by whisperquiet

3 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Thanks for not being helpful👍  Suggestions??

No thats exactly it. I wanted answers. I have no answers. I don't know what tubes to get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Teneighty said:

No thats exactly it. I wanted answers. I have no answers. I don't know what tubes to get.

I personally would not and do not run heavy duty tubes as they are such a PITA to change out if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

The choice of tires can make a big difference as some tires have very soft carcasses/sidewalls......others are much tougher and resistant to cuts.  I am going to do the Outex rear rim conversion to tubeless at my first tire change as the rear rim has a safety bead.

I will probably leave a tube in the front because of no safety bead and the fact that most flats occur on the rear.    Front flats are normally easier to fix also.  Currently,  I carry the tools and a front tube only in case of a flat.  I've installed a 21" tube in the rear a couple of times to get me home. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I personally would not and do not run heavy duty tubes as they are such a PITA to change out if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

The choice of tires can make a big difference as some tires have very soft carcasses/sidewalls......others are much tougher and resistant to cuts.  I am going to do the Outex rear rim conversion to tubeless at my first tire change as the rear rim has a safety bead.

I will probably leave a tube in the front because of no safety bead and the fact that most flats occur on the rear.    Front flats are normally easier to fix also.  Currently,  I carry the tools and a front tube only in case of a flat.  I've installed a 21" tube in the rear a couple of times to get me home. 

Yea thats what I always did on my XR650 was use a 21" in the rear to get back. Were you able to stretch the 21 enough to fill the 150 rear? I wasn't sure It would stretch enough to fill it and manage to ride out. I've only been on this bike for 1400 kms. First big ADV bike. I have the Dunlop D908RR. Pretty hard sidewall. We will see how things go. First big trip coming.  leave in 2 days.

I’ve used a 21” tube a couple of times in the rear 17” rim/tire of a KLR650 and once as I recall on a KDX220 with an 18” rim.  I am sure it would fill the 150 rear of the T7.....just to get me home.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know the actual tube sizes for this bike to carry as spares? I am on OEM tyres, only doing gravel roads and nothing really off road, will switch to tubeless and continue to carry tubes when i need new tyres. But for now, what are the sizes to buy?

5 hours ago, JimmyTheHuman said:

Does anyone know the actual tube sizes for this bike to carry as spares? I am on OEM tyres, only doing gravel roads and nothing really off road, will switch to tubeless and continue to carry tubes when i need new tyres. But for now, what are the sizes to buy?

150/70 - 18 and 90/90 - 21? 

Or if you want to go with inch sizes  18X4.5/5.1 (or 18x450/510 same size different way of presenting the number) and 21x3 (or 21x300 same size different way of presenting the number) are correct ones. 

I don't think that 21" tube  will live very long in 150/70 tyre on a 4" rim. Have used it with 130/80 17" but there is a lot less air volume in that tyre than there is in 150/70. Maybe  in a 2.5" rim with 140/80 tyre  but that is literally a stretch.... Also if you want to try 21 as only spare, go with very thick inner tubes. I would go with tube thickness around 4mm or more if I had to. 

• Like 1

The rear tube that came with the bike is a Pirelli MD-18 M/C  Suitable for about 10 different size tires.  And it's made in China.  I'll look for a North American made model instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 140/80 - 18 compatible with Tenere's 150/70-18? Thats the only size I can find for Michelin

The OEM tubes are no that bad. Moose brand medium are good tubes and not heavy like Bridgestone heavy duty.

• Like 1

Today I went to the dealership to take an appointment for the 1000km. They confirmed me the 140/80-18 tubes are fine for the Ténéré 700. Happy I bought the right thing Michelin MGR 18"... In terme of thickness they recommend recommend 4mm tubes (Michelin UHD 18")  for offroading to prevent pinch flat but for road use normal thickness is fine. If you get a nail 1mm or 4mm tube will be almost the same.

IMG_20210710_152302__01.jpg

Edited by didier
  • Like 1