Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 kickstand removal

nodab

Hate to admit it but I'm stymied by my sidestand. Lowered the bike now need to remove the kickstand so I can take it to a welder to have it shortened. There's a nut to remove on the left side. On the right side is a small bolt to remove. Can't figure out what to do next to get it loose. Anyone know?   Thanks.

The parts diagram shows a bolt that holds the side stand safety switch needs to be removed.  It appears that this bolt threads 

into the main bolt which secures the side stand to the side stand pivot.  So, remove two bolts, remove the spring, and remove the side stand.

My bike has not been delivered yet so I am going by the diagram.  i could not find any information for side stand removal in the shop manual.

Get OEM parts at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC! We carry major powersport brands like Honda, KTM, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris, Can-Am and more!

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.45.52 PM.png

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

Sometimes the spring can be a bear. Pull the kickstand down stretching the spring out and insert a bunch of pennies into the spring. That way when you put the kickstand back up it will be super slack and fall right off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

nodab - did you lower using the lowering links or by adding internal spacers to the forks/shock?

Yeah. I consulted this diagram also. I removed 32 and 30.  29 doesn't come out. Not sure what's holding it in.

I've installed Soupy's adjustable lowering links but haven't lowered yet as I need to shorten the sidestand first. Springs are easily dealt with as they aren't that strong

• Like 1

Put nut #30 loosely on #29 and try to tap it out.....it might be stuck in the side stand or mounting bracket.

I have dropped my T7 by 40mm. Didn't shorten the kickstand but filed a very small amount off the notch in the stand. 

Took off only 0.5 mm which was enough. 

Wow. Surprised you didn't need to shorten it. I think it's a bit too long even without lowering the bike. Wonder if the North American models differ from UK.

I've got a machined side stand that I'm not using 35mm shorter or 40mm... Could sell it to you if you'd need it. 

IMG_20200330_180245.jpg

• Like 1

Possibly, though I was hoping to get this done right away, as in yesterday. In the above diagram, how did you get #29 out? That's my main issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nodab said:

Possibly, though I was hoping to get this done right away, as in yesterday. In the above diagram, how did you get #29 out? That's my main issue.

I think 29 is a 13mm if I remember correctly and it should come off easily. 

PM me if you are interested in the side stand and I'll post it tomorrow if you are in a hurry.. 👍 

Aleks 

29 is stuck in there with no visible way to remove it. 32 and 30 were easily removed.  You're sidestand looks great but don't want to go for it yet.  Feel free to offer it to someone else. If it doesn't sell, I may take you up on it later.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

<snip>

My bike has not been delivered yet so I am going by the diagram.  i could not find any information for side stand removal in the shop manual.
</snip>

So I am not the only one...think they missed that whole section in the chassis.

• Like 1

Got it. Bracket 33 needs to be removed.  Best done before installing SW Motech centerstand. Don't know if the Yamaha stand interferes.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the sidestand shortened by welder in Seattle. Took off 1.5 inches and did a beautiful job, looks stock. Expect to pay around $60. Next will likely have him shorten the SW Motech centerstand, it is , of course, now also too tall.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Had to take the bracket off to get my side stand off 2x 35 in the diagram. Total pig with a skid plate and center stand fitted. In the end I found a good long 10mm allen key worked when nothing else did.

On 7/2/2020 at 12:46 PM, nodab said:

29 is stuck in there with no visible way to remove it. 32 and 30 were easily removed.  You're sidestand looks great but don't want to go for it yet.  Feel free to offer it to someone else. If it doesn't sell, I may take you up on it later.

I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but #29 does come out. I needed to remove the kickstand and everything but #29, and then stick the kickstand in a small vice and back off #29 with a 13mm socket. #29 is affixed to the kickstand by the threads you see poking out.