Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Check your Tenere 700 linkage bearings.

Totti

not the first time I have read about this - thanks for the post

1 minute ago, Cruizin said:

This is a common theme on my other Yamaha forums. The factory skimps on the grease. 

but is it a EU thing or also a problem with the JP bikes?  I hope the Japan built bikes didn't do this.

• Like 1

First one of us to correct this should take some pics for people who havent checked and lubed their bearings before. It would be a helpful tech tip. Unfortunately I am working 12 hour days this summer in my day job so I don't have time until winter. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Totti said:

Fitted a stiffer spring and at the same time I checked both the linkage and swing arm bearings. 
Seems that Yamaha has no grease at the factory. Two of the bearings had seazed. Managed to get them moving again.
One of the bolts looked like it had been there for years. Bike is ten months old and 7000 km. I guess next on the list is the steering head.

4BE2460F-3D6A-49CC-BCCE-1D89228A989F.jpeg

Hello did your suspension feel harsh over bumps ? Mine bike is only a month old with only 800 km & no offroad use but when I hit potholes or badly surfaced roads it hits the bumps really hard at the rear end. I changed my rear spring for my weight & it's made no difference even had everything set to soft.....🤔

The rear is too soft for me and I am trying to find ways to make it harder but does not work...very surprised to hear that it feels harsh...

• Premium Member

I have came across this with  multiple Japanese bikes, it seems a strange phenomenon, but the JP factories skimp on greasing, not sure why.  It will be part of my winterization this year to grease the suspension linkages.

Tazmool

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a way to install a zerk fitting??  If I ever get mine I will investigate it..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Salt on the roads?

I have just rebuilt an old XT600 ( '91 model ) and the linkage bearings are still usable.  Same with my last WR450. It racked up 10,000km. I checked the linkages and bearings once.

Maybe it is the lack of water in Oz?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Rear Spring rate is fine for me but as usual the Japanese over compensate with harsh compression valving front and rear. It’s like riding a jack hammer across tiny cracks in the roadway. I’ve already backed front and rear off 2 clicks compression and it’s a little better but still not as nice and compliant like the Ohlins front and rear on my Africa Twin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roy826 said:

Rear Spring rate is fine for me but as usual the Japanese over compensate with harsh compression valving front and rear. It’s like riding a jack hammer across tiny cracks in the roadway. I’ve already backed front and rear off 2 clicks compression and it’s a little better but still not as nice and compliant like the Ohlins front and rear on my Africa Twin. 

This is what I found as well.  High speed compression is way too stiff.  and Low speed is probably ok but it feels lopsided.  If you soften Comp all the way it starts to get "OK" but the low speed is then way too soft.

Embarrassed to admit but I started fiddling with suspension to smooth things out and didn't bother to check tire pressures.  Dealer set to 40 PSI.  Dropped to 35 and a little better.  Dropped to 32 rear and 30 front which is whatI usually run with no luggage on my big bikes and the harshness softened considerably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:36 PM, jetdr21 said:

I wonder if there is a way to install a zerk fitting??  If I ever get mine I will investigate it..

Keep us posted !

Ceep bastards !  I meen , why in the name of goodwill . Hiroshimas revenge ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished check of the linkages. NO PROBLEM with mine. Needle roller bearings were greased, bolts were dry, devoid of any lube but not rusty or blemished. So applied waterproof grease to bolts and bearing inner and reassembled. Less than 1/2 hour for piece of mind. 😉

• Like 5

What size are the linkage bolts, ( while I'm at work I can grab the correct spanners)??

I remember using 2x 17mm spanners, and 14mm is all that's required. I  have a SW MOTECH  centre stand so required a 6mm hex key to remove a bracket to enable a bolt to be slid out. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Tazmool said:

I have came across this with  multiple Japanese bikes, it seems a strange phenomenon, but the JP factories skimp on greasing, not sure why.  It will be part of my winterization this year to grease the suspension linkages.

Tazmool

It was the same with the F700GS. Rear linkage and steering head bearing both almost wihtout grease.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 7/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Adventure6965 said:

Hello did your suspension feel harsh over bumps ? Mine bike is only a month old with only 800 km & no offroad use but when I hit potholes or badly surfaced roads it hits the bumps really hard at the rear end. I changed my rear spring for my weight & it's made no difference even had everything set to soft.....🤔

No it did not. Is your suspension set correctly? Mine was nowhere near the settings said in the manual.

I suggest that you begin with the settings said in the manual and work your way from there.

Adjust only one setting at the time and give it some time before adjusting again.

The suspension will soften a bit when you get more kilometres to the bike.

• Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

15 minutes ago, Totti said:

No it did not. Is your suspension set correctly? Mine was nowhere near the settings said in the manual.

I suggest that you begin with the settings said in the manual and work your way from there.

Adjust only one setting at the time and give it some time before adjusting again.

The suspension will soften a bit when you get more kilometres to the bike.

I spoke with my dealer & he suggested setting it harder as it's rebounding too quickly. I did this & it's much better. I have rebound at 7 clicks & compression 8 clicks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if this lack of grease is for the newer Japanese T7’s or if the earlier, French built, bikes are affected the same way.

Edited by Rickster
Clarification

that bolt was pretty crusty for 7000 km. Do you do water crossings or pressure wash the bike.  Ill check mine when it arrives as Im pulling the shock and forks for a restring and revolve...