Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway Dirt Bikes Handguards

papab

I just reached out to HDB about these hand guards and they asked me if I wanted to keep my bar weights.  What are peoples thoughts on keeping (or getting rid of) the bar weights? People that have removed them.... do you notice more vibration in the bars?

Installed mine over the weekend with the HDB specific T7 bar end inserts (removed bar end weights).  I have not noticed any additional vibes when riding and I think it looks better with the inserts.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, Teneryay said:

Here is my install video for those curious: 

IMG_3822.thumb.jpg.835b4d54dc10006677dccd3bc1c466f2.jpgIMG_3821.thumb.jpg.04e90375f6ace323acd04a613138ebf1.jpgIMG_3820.thumb.jpg.7a73c3fce27717a4b57c5a06d4e9b4b5.jpg

ProTaper YZ High bars + HDB Ultimate Guards + Oxford heated grips.

Quick update on my original post here.

This past weekend I ended up swapping the YZ High bars our for ProTaper Adventure bars (low, aluminum) and I have to say, I am pleased as punch. There were a few geometry issues with the YZ High bars:

1. The bend of bars meant that the brake clamp was mounted just where the bar bend started. This meant that the front brake level lost lots of travel, and would almost hit the throttle when depressed - no good.
  2. The guard position was such that the integrated HDB mirrors were almost unusable even adjusted fully out, they were just pointed too low.
  3. The guards would contact the windshield when at full steer in either direction.

After battling with the setup for a few months I opted to just replace with a adv specific bar. I ended up having to cut around a half inch off the ProTaper Low bar, tap the bar ends, drill location holes for controls, and cut about an inch and a half off of the levers to clear the guards. Lots of work, but it was worth it. The adv bars seem more "at home" on the Tenere and the three geometry issues that I was having with the YZ High bar were totally resolved. The Straight of the adv bars (even with 0.5" cut from each end) was longer, and I was able to fit the brake clamp on a straight portion of bar, the integrated HDB mirrors are in a much better position making the very usable, and there is about 0.25" clearance between the guards and the windshield at full steer.

I'll attach a handful of pictures here.

Providing motocross enthusiasts with riding gear and accessories products that they can trust.

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 9/29/2020 at 10:29 PM, Teneryay said:

Here is my install video for those curious: 

ProTaper YZ High bars + HDB Ultimate Guards + Oxford heated grips.

@Teneryay Video link inoperative.  Any chance you can repost it? 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just as a heads-up.  the kit with the machined inserts /shorter guards will NOT fit with the OEM heated grips/spacers.  I ended up using the longer guards and stock bar-end weights.  Looks good and solid either way.  Great set-ups!

• Like 1

@Teneryay I'm thinking about installing ProTaper Adventure bars and HDB hanguards too. Why did you cut the length of the Protaper Adventure bars?  Was that to match the length of the stock bars?  Was there an issue with cable length?  And did you cut 0.5 inches off each side?  Thanks.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:31 PM, A A Ron said:

@Teneryay I'm thinking about installing ProTaper Adventure bars and HDB hanguards too. Why did you cut the length of the Protaper Adventure bars?  Was that to match the length of the stock bars?  Was there an issue with cable length?  And did you cut 0.5 inches off each side?  Thanks.

@A A Ron Good question, I had to cut the ProTaper Adventure bars in order to be able to fit the Highway Dirtbike guards. My understanding is the HDB has three different guards:

• Guards specific for ADV bikes that screw into the OEM steel bar ends.
  • Dirt bike / dual sport guards that come with a 5/8 bolts that thread directly bars, this set requires you to tap the bar ends of handlebars (this is the set I used).
  • And most recently it looks like they released a guard set that will bolt directly into the OEM bars after the bar ends are removed.

I had to cut the ProTaper Adventures a half inch down on each end (1 inch total) in order for the dirt bike / dual sport style guards to fit length wise from the end of the bar to the top clamp. After they were cut they were actually a bit shorter than the OEM bars, I had no issue with cable length, and to my surprise no cable fitment issues with the guards. One tip - I had a hell of a time starting the 5/8 inch tap provided by HDB and ended up having to use a step drill bit to widen the bar end hole before I could get the tap started. So, the tip, first widen the bar end hole with a step drill bit, get the tap started and cut 5 - 6 threads, THEN cut the bar down a half inch. This way you already have some threads started and the section that was widened can be cut off and you get nice positive threads cut they whole length of the bolt. If you are using stock levers you will also have to cut them down to fit inside the guards.

Overall, I am super happy with the guards and the new bar, feels great so far. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

I installed the HDB hand guards today. I got the kit designed to work with the stock bar ends and also got the trick fold out mirrors. Easy install. The right hand guard is however a bit of a tight fit with the front brake line

AB5B4E04-3C16-4C44-8B2A-1782FEB1E30A.thumb.jpeg.e6391dc9e946caba6722df2f23bbc385.jpeg

164F0E10-C8F2-4D52-8921-0F10A0D3F2B3.thumb.jpeg.d5622990f9cbe2ecd8c06af7b774f25d.jpeg

EF91DDB2-B2AC-4DB7-BF0F-F586A180C2FE.thumb.jpeg.a79903e9613d96481e8cd79832c8b308.jpeg

CB66B917-BEE3-4E2B-B323-D06769D7F44E.thumb.jpeg.455c4a856c85fd208cef27dac8eb8ddd.jpeg

@Liquidape My brake line looked just like yours, so I took it off and rotated it down inside the guard. The stub on the master cylinder is now on the other side of the banjo bolt. No modification necessary. Just have to bleed the master after you're done (pull lever, break banjo bolt, tighten banjo bolt, release lever, repeat a couple times). 

IMG_7209.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the hole on the top of the handlebar clamps threaded?  Can you add a RAM ball in those holes?

EF91DDB2-B2AC-4DB7-BF0F-F586A180C2FE.thumb.jpeg.a79903e9613d96481e8cd79832c8b308_LI.jpg

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Dirtrider99x said:

Is the hole on the top of the handlebar clamps threaded?  Can you add a RAM ball in those holes?

EF91DDB2-B2AC-4DB7-BF0F-F586A180C2FE.thumb.jpeg.a79903e9613d96481e8cd79832c8b308_LI.jpg

100x38/40

Threaded holes are M6x1.00

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

20 minutes ago, AZJW said:

100x38/40

Threaded holes are M6x1.00

Correct. Those holes are for a dash or switch panel. You can add a ram ball in place of the stock mirror, or replace one of the clamp bolts with a ball. 

B1FD6D16-2893-4AB9-AF61-B7D60C8B3C01.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I’m beginning to wonder if it was a mistake ordering from HDB! Maybe it’s the way they do business but I ordered 4 days ago and have sent 3 emails requesting help with the order and have not heard anything back. I am wondering if this is normal for them and how your guys experience has been? Maybe I should be more patient? Thanks in advance. 

14 minutes ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

I’m beginning to wonder if it was a mistake ordering from HDB! Maybe it’s the way they do business but I ordered 4 days ago and have sent 3 emails requesting help with the order and have not heard anything back. I am wondering if this is normal for them and how your guys experience has been? Maybe I should be more patient? Thanks in advance. 

NO, you did not make a mistake. Chad is a small biz and he runs it all. He is one busy mofo and he had an issue that has slowed down gettin them out. Plus USPS sucks---

I ordered mine before xmas. Chad (owner) has the inserts for the bars machined for him by another shop. The guy that did the batch of inserts before xmas MADE 200 of THEM THE WRONG THREAD PITCH, so Chad had to have some re-made quickly for the orders he had over/prior to the holidays. He shipped mine on 29 Dec with tracking. The tracking showed them sitting in Denver for 8 DAYS! Freaking USPS-----I finally got them yesterday. Even when he sends them out, they could take a while as all mail and shipping is slower than usual (I am sure you are tired of hearing that!) They are worth waiting for and are some of the best hand guards made IMO. I added the Rotweiller mounts and CRG arrow flip up mirrors. Love them!

50832152776_0ef5e160b4_k.jpg

50832230367_63e5fb68ad_k.jpg

50831426748_ea2ee5be73_k.jpg

Edited by Firebolter

4 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

NO, you did not make a mistake. Chad is a small biz and he runs it all. He is one busy mofo and he had an issue that has slowed down gettin them out. Plus USPS sucks---

I ordered mine before xmas. Chad (owner) has the inserts for the bars machined for him by another shop. The guy that did the batch of inserts before xmas MADE 200 of THEM THE WRONG THREAD PITCH, so Chad had to have some re-made quickly for the orders he had over/prior to the holidays. He shipped mine on 29 Dec with tracking. The tracking showed them sitting in Denver for 8 DAYS! Freaking USPS-----I finally got them yesterday. SO even when he sends them out, they could take a whi9le as all mail and shipping is slower than usual (I am sure you are tired of hearing that!) They are worth waiting for and are some of the best hand guards made IMO. I added the Rotweiller mounts and CRG arrow flod up mirrors. Love them!

50832152776_0ef5e160b4_k.jpg

50832230367_63e5fb68ad_k.jpg

Thanks Firebolter! I will try to be patient! From what I have seen and read HDB hand guards are my favorite. Your set up looks good btw! Like the arrow mirrors and it also looks like you anodized the hand guards. Very nice. 

4 minutes ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

Thanks Firebolter! I will try to be patient! From what I have seen and read HDB hand guards are my favorite. Your set up looks good btw! Like the arrow mirrors and it also looks like you anodized the hand guards. Very nice. 

Thanks. When I didn't see or hear anything for a week after I ordered, I emailed him and 2 days later,  Chad sent me a email when he had the fiasco with his insert machinist and asked me to call him. I did and he explained what happened and sent mine already anodized black for the delay. He has that as an option for the guards.

Like I said, he is a small biz and is always busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger! Add in COVID and such, pain in the ass for everybody! Hang tight buddy! You'll be glad you did!

Edited by Firebolter

1 minute ago, beater_bimmer said:

@Firebolter did you powdercoat/paint/ano yours?  I think I'd like to do the same.

They are anodized black. HDB did that. He offers that as an option when you buy them. You could powdercoat as well if you wanted to I guess.

Agreed: Chad's busy. I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming this isn't a full-time gig for him. It takes him a bit to respond, but it's worth it. Mine shipped in November and took over 2 weeks to arrive. Like others, they sat at the Denver USPS for over a week. That warehouse must be overwhelmed. 

I get used to instant gratification, and I was a little frustrated too, but once my HDBs arrived I was happy as could be. We're ordering custom parts that are better than any other available option. A few weeks is worth it, especially considering it's winter. 

• Like 2

Well I woke this morning and had a shipment notification! That’s the only communication I have had. No response to any of my communication attempts ...kind of a different way to do business but I suppose HDB can afford to operate this way because the quality of products. I am sure I will be satisfied.

• Moderators

Interesting how perspectives change with technology. In the 60's, I had a Pinto mini-bike ( from JCPenney Auto Center) that needed a new air cleaner housing for the Tecumseh 2hp engine.   I looked it up in the mail order Bible ( Sears Catalog), tore it out and completed the order form, included it with my Dad's check and gave it to the postman and waited and waited and waited. A month later it showed up in the mail and I was thrilled to get it that fast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr1Wilderness said:

Well I woke this morning and had a shipment notification! That’s the only communication I have had. No response to any of my communication attempts ...kind of a different way to do business but I suppose HDB can afford to operate this way because the quality of products. I am sure I will be satisfied.

Last I spoke with Chad, he said he had issues with the contact email from his website not getting through to him.  He must still be having issues.  He was also swamped with orders for kits for a bike he didn't have in his possession to figure out a clean fitment.  A couple of us helped getting him measurements just a few months ago to get things rolling.  He's good people and a good problem solver with a great product.  Maybe he's still getting caught up as a one man show.  The pandemic has slowed production and shipping of materials and supplies for what I need at work for a large airline.  I can't imagine the impact it's had on small businesses like his.  

• Like 1