Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lever upgrades

Hammerhead

Figured I would try the cheap ebay levers this time. Surprise surprise, they didn't even make it on the bike. Don't waste your time.

Not sure what to try next. All of the options you guys named here don't seem to mention the ability to bend backwards. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Looking for levers for off-road use.

• Like 2

Got  the levers on today. they ship them half-assembled not to hard to finish they send you a small plastic nut holder to hold the inset locknut , soaked the bushings in white lithium grease during assembly. also got the bark busters on today and everything cleared well.

1022337756_VortexLevers1.thumb.jpg.235d4d31ac98c6937eaf208934eb06c1.jpg1376027674_VortexLevers2.thumb.jpg.3c7272887d8cefdac9951e37fffa5fee.jpg

643733604_VortexLevers3.thumb.jpg.8a6c0387b8d07556936d1d6a0ad0789e.jpg1820766369_VortexLevers4.thumb.jpg.1b854e56eb3e6bea346efb4b07e49830.jpg

1520585114_VortexLevers5.thumb.jpg.08748e460a0824cfdb2d57c62cc7a3c0.jpg

39317849_BarkBusters.thumb.jpg.95a42ac2d9b00e68871c379711d54dc3.jpg

Edited by ClutchXT

Ive ran Pazzo's and Cheap Ebay knock offs on my my bikes (Daytona 600, Speed triple 1050, Daytona 675R) Cant tell the difference except shades of colour. Put a set of knock offs on the T700. 30 bucks over 300 bucks. Knock offs all day.

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

On 11/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, Scoobyru00 said:

Figured I would try the cheap ebay levers this time. Surprise surprise, they didn't even make it on the bike. Don't waste your time.

Not sure what to try next. All of the options you guys named here don't seem to mention the ability to bend backwards. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Looking for levers for off-road use.

installed my Pazzos this weekend  they do bend backwards, but if you've got any

sort of handguard (acerbis for me) they can't go very far before touching. they should be quite shielded from the elements even in the case of a drop. fit and finish on the Pazzos is top notch and install is easy. the gold lever on blue bike is also 👌

• Like 1

I tried a set of these knockoffs on Amazon. MZS Tuning "Shorties" for the MT-07. They have a couple different colors. Nice quality actually for 36 bucks delivered. SS hardware. Not too shabby! Packaged very nicely. Typical 6 position c;icker for setting lever distance from the grip.

I have used CRG's and Pazzo's in the past on other bikes and both of those are top notch for sure, but for 36 bucks, these are hard to beat.

50648165817_16e295bced_k.jpg

50648166567_1d78ad3919_k.jpg

1 hour ago, Firebolter said:

I tried a set of these knockoffs on Amazon. MZS Tuning "Shorties" for the MT-07. They have a couple different colors. Nice quality actually for 36 bucks delivered. SS hardware. Not too shabby! Packaged very nicely. Typical 6 position c;icker for setting lever distance from the grip.

I have used CRG's and Pazzo's in the past on other bikes and both of those are top notch for sure, but for 36 bucks, these are hard to beat.

Do you have the link to which ones it was exactly that you ordered? It looks like it was these ones and not these ones. Would either work? Looks like one just has more rounded ends and one has more angular/triangle ends? Thanks!

13 minutes ago, HoboHighlander said:

Do you have the link to which ones it was exactly that you ordered? It looks like it was these ones and not these ones. Would either work? Looks like one just has more rounded ends and one has more angular/triangle ends? Thanks!

The link works , takes you to what I bought in Amazon

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, Firebolter said:

Still happy with yours? Ive seen enough «dont buy cheap chinese levers before watching this video»-videos 😅

11 minutes ago, JayD said:

Still happy with yours? Ive seen enough «dont buy cheap chinese levers before watching this video»-videos 😅

Yeah, still fine. Like I said, I have used Pazzo's and CRG's in the past good stuff for sure but the ones I bought are good and work well. If you break a lever, chances are you got bigger things to worry about!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

Yeah, still fine. Like I said, I have used Pazzo's and CRG's in the past good stuff for sure but the ones I bought are good and work well. If you break a lever, chances are you got bigger things to worry about!

Appreciate the answer. Im still very hesitant though 😅 Ive had very bad experiences with china made stuff in the past..

2 minutes ago, JayD said:

Appreciate the answer. Im still very hesitant though 😅 Ive had very bad experiences with china made stuff in the past..

I hear ya and understand. But 36 versus 150 plus is enough for me to check them out. Regrettably I fear more and more cheap knock off stuff will make quality pieces not worth the effort for folks to keep making them as it will be hard to make a profit- welcome to global openess, those with their gov behind them will flood the world with knockoffs. Been happening for decades really. 

Just bought some from calsport.co.uk ship all over and better price than Yamaha even though they are identical.

9545AB40-1715-485F-AA9D-53E35EA964FD.png

A08208C3-681A-4A37-9B8F-16FDFC4270ED.png

• Like 1

Bellissimoto sells the Gilles Factor-X clutch and brake levers that look *strikingly* similar to the Gilles/Yamaha OEM ones, at about half the price of the branded Yamaha ones. I couldn’t resist and put a set on order when they were 15% off for Black Friday.  Haven’t received just yet.

Gilles Factor-X Clutch Lever for the Aprilia RSV4/Tuono V4, Yamaha FJ-09 Tracer, and Yamaha Tenere 700

On 10/9/2020 at 8:41 PM, REDHORSECA said:

Thanks for the post.

I used Paazo Racing's motorcycle fitment chart to determine what motorcycle models share the same clutch/brake levers as the Tenere T700.

As I had a hard time finding what would fit our Tenere T700 on many retail sites. As many of the sites don't have the Tenere T700 listed on their sites yet.

Pazzo Racing Brake & Clutch Lever cross reference chart:

I edited and consolidated what motorcycle models share the same clutch and brake levers as the Tenere T700.

T700 Levers.png

I ordered CRG RC2 Brake & Clutch Lever Yamaha (FZ /MT /FJ /FJR /XSR900) Black / Shorty. (Made in California USA) I'm all for supporting our North American manufacturing companies! 🙂

It should arrive in a couple of days. I'll let yall know how it goes after I get it installed.

==================================================

In my opinion, I would not order the inexpensive MZS clutch/brake levers from Amazon. I had issues with my specific MZS brake lever on my T700.

What's the consensus on this fitment chart?  I only ask because Giles List the Clutch lever for the XSR900 as FXCL-07, and the Tenere Clutch lever as FXCL-31.

Hmm...

- Paul

On 12/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, JayD said:

At $36 a pair carrying spares is fairly painless should something break..

Just tried fitting the Gilles and they dont fit with barkbusters without pushing the guards out by 15 mm or so .

sent em back!

I bought the Ride It levers. They seem to be good quality and were $100 bucks for the set. I bought the adjustable length ones, but i feel the clutch could have been a little shorter. I might move the perch in. If you take the plastic part off its shorter, i might ride it that way but there is no little bump on the end so i was worried my fingers would come off, which seems like a silly worry. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1373.thumb.jpg.c7d77b9e2b4e2d4188eca0121a09b1d8.jpg

3 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I bought the Ride It levers. They seem to be good quality and were $100 bucks for the set. I bought the adjustable length ones, but i feel the clutch could have been a little shorter. I might move the perch in. If you take the plastic part off its shorter, i might ride it that way but there is no little bump on the end so i was worried my fingers would come off, which seems like a silly worry. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1373.thumb.jpg.c7d77b9e2b4e2d4188eca0121a09b1d8.jpg

Silly question, but when you adjust the clutch lever, does it stop an inch from the handlebar as it does on the brake when adjusting it? Never tried an adjustable one.

the clutch I don't think has a "stop" but has a friction zone. Adjusting where the lever is just adjusts where the lever engages that friction zone if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, MikeCMP said:

the clutch I don't think has a "stop" but has a friction zone. Adjusting where the lever is just adjusts where the lever engages that friction zone if that makes sense. 

Thanks for your answer. So the lever can be pulled all the way in until it touches the handlebars? I thought it would stop an inch from the bars like the brake lever can. I understand what you mean by friction zone, if adjusted the friction zone can be very far out resulting in a short pull.

35 minutes ago, JayD said:

Thanks for your answer. So the lever can be pulled all the way in until it touches the handlebars? I thought it would stop an inch from the bars like the brake lever can. I understand what you mean by friction zone, if adjusted the friction zone can be very far out resulting in a short pull.

Yes, you can pull the clutch in past the point its disengaged. I think i can pull the clutch in about 30% -50% of the way and it is fully disengaged, but you can still pull it in more. With a different arm on the clutch itself (Like the Camel Lever) the clutch would feel lighter, but you would have to pull it in more. Trading distance for more leverage in that case. These levers actually don't impact the amount of clutch pull or the distance you have to pull in the lever however. They just move the resting point of the levers in or out. 

The levers actually adjust out far enough that i can barely reach them with my two fingers, and can come in quite a bit from there. 

Mike

• Thanks 1

I bought the ASV Shorty C5s and couldn’t be happier, once Barkbusters advised me to pick up the 10mm spacer set to gain some clearance.  Great service from Barkbusters.  They had me take some photos and provided me with a link to Twisted Throttle for the parts.  

Very noticeable improvement in braking leverage and clutch feel.  

B764CB8B-FE7A-41CA-9388-49452B74C858.jpeg

• Like 1