Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 hand guards

PDanger

I'm looking for a set of replacement hand guards that can provide a better level of weather protection as well as off-road protection for the control levers, than the OEM ones. Wind & rain protection is a must. It would be good if they could utilise the bar-end weights. I believe that Barkbusters make a set specifically for the Tenere T7, however these are pricey at £130 ish in the UK.   Has anyone experience of other brands?

Barkbusters are expensive but they fit perfectly, look good and are strong.

You could try Zeta, have these on my enduro, good hand guards and cheaper than Barkbusters but by the time you’ve made them fit you might regret just getting the BB’s.

• Like 2

Barkbuster VPS and you can use the cool CRG Arrow mirrors with the Rottweiler attachment blocks. 😁

4C43C0B9-B66B-49AF-8AC0-CC0AF4FFA122.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matth said:

Barkbuster storm is the way to go. Bigger plastic coverage

D0188E1D-51BF-46EA-AA2C-F3839067D66C.jpeg

Was there any issue with heated grips? I read somewhere that some washer is needed. Thanks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OU812 said:

The Black finish looks great is this a option?

SW Motech has their own branded version of the barkbuster handguards with the black "spine" finish.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Veider said:

Was there any issue with heated grips? I read somewhere that some washer is needed. Thanks

Washers are needed on the throttle side if you use the barkbuster bar end weights. If you use the factory weights, no washer needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Barkbusters on a few other bikes and am pleased with them.  A set held up very well in a 30 mph lowside a few years ago... plastic cover melted through from grinding on the asphalt, but the aluminum backbone was intact and is actually still in use.  Ultimately I think they are worth the money. 

Like someone observed in another Barkbusters thread, the aluminum finish looks kind of rough, but they are durable.  The black ones sold by TT look really good, had I know about those before I ordered my current set I would have opted for those.

No issues with install.  On another thread (that I can't find now) someone was complaining that the left backbone keeps the clutch lever from being rotated down far enough to be comfortable; I did not have this problem but I also don't run my levers angled super far down.  If you do, the BB may not work for you.  I basically run the levers at the same angle as my arms as they drape over the bars.

Barkbusters Storm on 2021 T7, stock bars, Oxford heated grips:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MeefZah
  • Like 4

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

• 2 weeks later...

I have barkbusters also, worked great with the stock setup but I bought 14mm inserts to use with my protaper adv mid bars but they don't seem to fit- seems like I need longer bolts to use the bar end weights? Anybody else experience with this?

On 10/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Matth said:

Barkbuster storm is the way to go. Bigger plastic coverage

D0188E1D-51BF-46EA-AA2C-F3839067D66C.jpeg

This is what i will go for when they get in stock in my area! Got a shot from the front?

30 minutes ago, Matth said:

Hope that helps!

C309B91A-6762-45D1-BFB9-77488EB35B1A.png

For colder climates these are the choice! Thanks!

Anyone know where I can get the black powder coated barkbusters in the US?

Edit: nobody has the silver ones either for that matter...

Edited by HoboHighlander

• 1 month later...

Really happy with how my Barkbusters and led lights worked out.

Leds are cheaper then oem Yamaha fog leds. For me visability is more important then more light at night.

Together with the Touratech lowercrashbars the Barkbusters deliver good protection.

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wil59 said:

Leds are cheaper then oem Yamaha fog leds. For me visability is more important then more light at night.

Together with the Touratech lowercrashbars the Barkbusters deliver good protection.

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

Can you send a link for those LED on the Barkbusters?  Who are they made by?  I've never seen them before.  I likely!

- Paul

On 12/29/2020 at 3:10 PM, wil59 said:

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

Really nice setup! On this picture i can see you use a wind spoiler with also t7rally screen adjusters. Can you tell me if this works good against buffering from the wind? Thanks in advance! 

Nick

@Nick  The windspoiler came from my old XT660Z (limited edition). I did not use the T7 rally screen adjusters. The spoiler takes away a little buffeting on the top of my helmet. I tried a high screen from puig but found out that the most noise was coming from the sides of the screen (left and right). So a tall screen was no option for me (i'm 1,86 tall).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 8:10 AM, wil59 said:

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

This looks killer!  I really like that extra lighting on the handguards.  I may end up doing this and adding a Skeene Design Photon blaster.  Thanks for the pics!

On 12/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, wil59 said:

BB.jpg

BB2.jpg

Hi Wil59, looks great! Is there a good amount of light output? Would you consider these useful offroad, or are they visibility lights at best? Thanks

@HucknChuckThe light output is imo not sufficient to be able to drive offroad at night. I only use them to be more visible on the road to other traffic. Putting fog-lights on the bike would cost a lot more. Now the drl-LED's cost  55.88 euro and fit nice on the barkbusters handguards.