Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lightweight top and side racks combo for soft panniers

aperege39

Hi guys,

been looking for some lightweight top and side racks for carrying soft panniers (and maybe a small top case for commuting) for my future T700 (expecting to get the bike in december). 

I've been doing a lot of research these last days and I came up with these options:

1. Adventure Spec 

Yamaha%20Tenere%20T700%20Adventure%20Spec%20Hard%20Parts%20Luggage%20Racks

Had mixed feelings with this ones, as the bike looks really good and not bulky at all with them, but my concern is with strength and durability, as I saw some people had top rack failures. In theory max weight is around 4kg (1 gallon rotopax fuel bidon as adv spec says), so I don't know if it will cope well with a small top case for leaving my helmet inside when the bike's parked in town, I don't have any intention to use the top case to carry anything (maybe my waterproof jacket), and I will only use it onroad. Any experience with this combo?

2. B&B compact tail rack + Adv Spec side rack

Rear Compact Tail Rack Luggage Plate- Yamaha XT690/ T700 Tenere

B&B Off Road Yamaha T700 Rear Compact Tail Rack Pillion Handles | Adventure  Moto Australia

The lightest and most minimalist option imo, but not the cheapest. I think that with minor modifications they will fit well together. B&B luggage plate is pre drilled for Givi Monokey sistem, so it should be easy to mount an aluminium top case on it. Any experience with the B&B rack?

3. Outback Motortek (or Outback Motortek top rack + Adv spec side rack)

Keeping the Tenere 700 Light for Overland Adventures - Outback Motortek

Rack de equipaje Outback Motortek para Yamaha Tenere 700

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_1527-scaled-1170x780.jpg

Imo, these ones are ugly, but strong. Easy to put a top case on it, a rotopax fuel bidon, and, f. e., Mosko Moto soft panniers. My main problem whit these ones is: will the side rack resist, without bending, some offroad crashes? I've read that tubular side racks tend to bend or broke when the bike falls down multiple times, so that made me think that, maybe, the Adv Spec side rack will still protect the rear end of the bike when not using panniers, and it looks easier to straighten if it bends after a crash.

All that said, I have zero experience riding motorbikes offroad, so I don't know what will be the best option for me. My main thoughts for the side racks are to use them as rear crash bars, as I only plan to do one or two trips a year, so they must be strong, but obviously light, I don't want a 230kg bike. The top rack will be for attaching things like a small bag, like the Enduristan XS Base Pack and my jacket when offroading in summer, and a small, light top case (4-5kg), to put my helmet inside when the bike's parked (I hate carrying my helmet everywhere). 

I will appreciate every suggestion or comment, so feel free to say anything.

Cheers, Alex.

Edited by aperege39
incorrect spelling
  • Like 2

I'm using advspec top and side racks with Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers. Really like the combo. The only item of any weight I put on the top was a 5 liter jerry can for 400+ km of gravel road where there weren't any gas stations. I think much of the weight of that was supported by the back two of the attachment points, so support didn't strike me as a concern. Obviously the potential for rack failure would be dependent on how far back the load (your Givi case) is mounted.

BTW, the quality of the advspec racks is excellent.

• Like 2

I've got the adventure spec side and rear rack, lightweight set up. But I think that I would get the B&B rear rack ( was not  available at the time I purchased) I  found the side rails  get in the way of soft  luggage pushing it out further and wider than I would like. But it does give tie down points. 

• Like 1

I have the Adventure Spec rear top rack and I am still waiting on my side racks from them.  I am very happy with top rack and dont plan to carry a lot of weight on the top rack any way.  A clothes bag maybe and a dry bag in front of that which will be supported by the seat partly.  the quality and weight is what I was after.  Ticks both those boxes for me anyway.  Not a fan of pannier racks that stick out like dogs balls...or should I say roo balls🤣🤣

Edited by DazR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've got the SW Moto rear rack and just received the Rally Raid side panel/soft luggage rack. Happy with the SW Moto rear rack for sure. I like that they provide different options for mounting kits: Rotopax, Givi top case, larger base plate for carrying duffel/dry bag, etc.

AltRider is coming out with a rear rack that looks interesting. It mounts to the frame rails underneath the rear section.

122265727_10160674117269657_676621323398

New T7 parts on the way! Quick release stainless mesh and...

• Like 3

I think it is better to place luggage on the rear seat than on a top rear rack. (if you dont have a passenger of course). What kind of racks you choose depends quite a bit of what type soft luggage you select. I would start to select the soft luggage that fits you needs and then choose the proper racks to carry it. 

• Like 2

I would like to see a rack like the HB that has the part that flips up but only wish that it would fold over completely to the front over the passenger seat. 

1 hour ago, Trollbiker said:

I think it is better to place luggage on the rear seat than on a top rear rack. (if you dont have a passenger of course). What kind of racks you choose depends quite a bit of what type soft luggage you select. I would start to select the soft luggage that fits you needs and then choose the proper racks to carry it. 

I like this option, but I use a backpack (for hydro and misc bits).  Luggage too close to my riding position gets in the way, so I'd like the option to scoot it back a little.

I'm looking for something a little further back than the AS rack (like the SWMotech), but I love the AS and Rally-Raid soft luggage guards.  

• Like 1

There are so many options regarding racks and luggage in my opinion the most important step in deciding which way to go is to first give a lot of thought to deciding what and how much you may want to carry in the different situations you will be in, which differ for everyone.

For me I wanted to minimise additional weight on the bike while maximising volume, and decided not to fix racks at all, going with the Kriega OS-Base system. The base is 0.7kg only. I carry wheel and tyre tools and a spare tube in the bike at all times and normally use a backpack for hydration and carrying rain gear and valuables. When I don't need any luggage the bike is therefore stock with no additions. When heading out on a day trip for some off road adventure I fit the base with 2x OS-6 to carry my tool kit, another tube and other bits and pieces. If taking my camera I use an Enduristan 4H tank bag. For longer trips e.g. staying in hotels etc. I fit 2x OS-18 for 36 litres which is normally sufficient for me. If I need to carry more (e.g. camping gear) then a duffle bag (Enduristan Tornado) can be strapped onto the rear seat with the OS-18s.

As you said you may sometimes wish to fit a small top case or carry fuel; in this case I would add a small rear rack and keep using the OS-Base in addition. I like the look of the B&B.

I have the original OS-Base, the bags do not get in the way for me when moving around on the bike. FYI there is now a (more expensive) T7 custom version of the OS-Base:

kriega-osbase-tenere-main-new2.jpg?forma

A new larger version of the popular OS-BASE that is specifically designed to fit the YAMAHA TENERE 700. The OS-BASE is an 'over the seat harness' which allows OS-6, OS-12 or OS-18 ADVENTURE PACKS to be mounted as soft panniers. No additional frames are required, this system provides a super-tough, lightweight carrying...

DSCF1239.jpg

DSCF1234.jpg

• Like 2

I have the B&B rack and run a Giant Loop Great Basin bag. In my experience so far I think I will get the B&B base plate as find in a bit small to strap the back of the bag down. Also Thinking of the AS racks as in option A. Don't really need them but find my bags do scuff up the paintwork of my rear plastics. Maybe another option is to use like a saddle blanket like they do on horses  or some vinyl wrap.

3 hours ago, Heedcase said:

There are so many options regarding racks and luggage in my opinion the most important step in deciding which way to go is to first give a lot of thought to deciding what and how much you may want to carry in the different situations you will be in, which differ for everyone.

For me I wanted to minimise additional weight on the bike while maximising volume, and decided not to fix racks at all, going with the Kriega OS-Base system. The base is 0.7kg only. I carry wheel and tyre tools and a spare tube in the bike at all times and normally use a backpack for hydration and carrying rain gear and valuables. When I don't need any luggage the bike is therefore stock with no additions. When heading out on a day trip for some off road adventure I fit the base with 2x OS-6 to carry my tool kit, another tube and other bits and pieces. If taking my camera I use an Enduristan 4H tank bag. For longer trips e.g. staying in hotels etc. I fit 2x OS-18 for 36 litres which is normally sufficient for me. If I need to carry more (e.g. camping gear) then a duffle bag (Enduristan Tornado) can be strapped onto the rear seat with the OS-18s.

As you said you may sometimes wish to fit a small top case or carry fuel; in this case I would add a small rear rack and keep using the OS-Base in addition. I like the look of the B&B.

I have the original OS-Base, the bags do not get in the way for me when moving around on the bike. FYI there is now a (more expensive) T7 custom version of the OS-Base:

kriega-osbase-tenere-main-new2.jpg?forma

A new larger version of the popular OS-BASE that is specifically designed to fit the YAMAHA TENERE 700. The OS-BASE is an 'over the seat harness' which allows OS-6, OS-12 or OS-18 ADVENTURE PACKS to be mounted as soft panniers. No additional frames are required, this system provides a super-tough, lightweight carrying...

Regarding the T7 specific OS Base.  While I really like Kriega's design approach with their bags I think the miss the mark in one specific area that others seem to hit...adjustability.  The T7 Specific base differs from the universal OS base in that the foot peg mounts are a fixed length and as the rear attaches via that adjustable buckle which is not able to be separated to pass through anything it must be looped over something...IE the spools.  This makes fitting it with the rally seat difficult and it puts the whole thing right near where you sit.  If they had designed the footpeg mount like the Universal or at lease added a cam buckle it would fit perfect.  

Adjustability on their bags is limited where you have to roll it down and clip it.  Unlike most other bags that have an adjustable roll top buckles that allow you to use the designed volume or extend it a little if needed.  Kriega's design limits the bag volume to the designed spec.  I love the bags and the design is great asthetically but I hate them at the same time for not letting me utilize them as I see fit.

I've since moved to the ADV Spec side racks and rear rack to which I mount a pair of OS18's and am happy with it so far. 

If you have the Universal OS base I'd stick with that as the adjustability is much better than the "New and Improved" T7 version.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 2

Excellent points on the T7-specific OS Base #Goldentaco.

It certainly appears to be significantly less adaptable than the universal version which works fine for me and has the advantage of being transferable to other bikes.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes the universal Kreiga base works just fine! The AS rear rack rails force it out a bit.  That's why I would go for the B&B rear rack or the new Altrider rack looks good too.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, Goldentaco said:

Regarding the T7 specific OS Base.  While I really like Kriega's design approach with their bags I think the miss the mark in one specific area that others seem to hit...adjustability.  The T7 Specific base differs from the universal OS base in that the foot peg mounts are a fixed length and as the rear attaches via that adjustable buckle which is not able to be separated to pass through anything it must be looped over something...IE the spools.  This makes fitting it with the rally seat difficult and it puts the whole thing right near where you sit.  If they had designed the footpeg mount like the Universal or at lease added a cam buckle it would fit perfect.  

Adjustability on their bags is limited where you have to roll it down and clip it.  Unlike most other bags that have an adjustable roll top buckles that allow you to use the designed volume or extend it a little if needed.  Kriega's design limits the bag volume to the designed spec.  I love the bags and the design is great asthetically but I hate them at the same time for not letting me utilize them as I see fit.

I've since moved to the ADV Spec side racks and rear rack to which I mount a pair of OS18's and am happy with it so far. 

If you have the Universal OS base I'd stick with that as the adjustability is much better than the "New and Improved" T7 version.

J

Hello Goldentaco,

I will also try the AS Top and Side Racks. At the moment I am not sure, if I should buy the Enduristan Blizzard L Bags or the Kriega OS Bags.  I dont know how to fit the Kriega Bags on the AS Side Racks. Could you send me a photo of your solution, please?

Sorry, for my bad English..

Regards

Sigi

6 hours ago, Sigi said:

Hello Goldentaco,

I will also try the AS Top and Side Racks. At the moment I am not sure, if I should buy the Enduristan Blizzard L Bags or the Kriega OS Bags.  I dont know how to fit the Kriega Bags on the AS Side Racks. Could you send me a photo of your solution, please?

Regards

Sigi

will do.  There are actually a couple ways to attach them that are equally secure.

J

15 hours ago, Sigi said:

Hello Goldentaco,

Regards

Sigi

Here are a couple ways. 

First is horizontal. This is the easiest and the way I run them.  The Velcro D-rings used on top I got from Wolfman. I don’t think they sell them anymore. 
A0CF85C2-E1CE-49B8-A089-2E6EA6B2AE93.jpeg.8d36f74c9ba47f4b8b6ee0a562e64e05.jpegE9679731-8387-4A21-8ED5-A4DC3D51247C.jpeg.c300af65dcecff559eb713407610767d.jpeg4538A3B8-95B8-427E-AA20-369169AFE309.jpeg.de35f451e7ec30025059e5456152299d.jpeg

You don’t need the D rings but the strap will probably scratch the grab rail. 

B61C21DF-5E6F-4CFC-9946-F64CA5E2B24E.jpeg.eee1c2f1bc5e71e78d357c2d0e08a161.jpeg

You can also run them vertical but they fit better horizontal. 
63341A64-368A-4FC2-BC75-215D312E5813.thumb.jpeg.4d7557e43a60f8fa1a5974e943af43cc.jpeg51DAFF36-C70E-407E-93A6-C7EA7890D1BF.thumb.jpeg.4bcdbc583639dad32a03c9d46e61ece8.jpegD80C65FA-AE90-4F3A-982D-BD87D7B33E6C.thumb.jpeg.2bf1329390bc54a2bb2758567a6f3f71.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, slakdawg said:

I've got the SW Moto rear rack and just received the Rally Raid side panel/soft luggage rack. Happy with the SW Moto rear rack for sure. I like that they provide different options for mounting kits: Rotopax, Givi top case, larger base plate for carrying duffel/dry bag, etc.

AltRider is coming out with a rear rack that looks interesting. It mounts to the frame rails underneath the rear section.

122265727_10160674117269657_676621323398

New T7 parts on the way! Quick release stainless mesh and...

Do you have any pics of your set up?

Was considering the SWMotech rear rack, but I don't know about compatibility issues with side racks of other brands. The Rally Ride side rack looks pretty good, did you have to modify anything to make them work with the SWMotech rack? 

On 10/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, Goldentaco said:

Here are a couple ways. 

First is horizontal. This is the easiest and the way I run them.  The Velcro D-rings used on top I got from Wolfman. I don’t think they sell them anymore. 
A0CF85C2-E1CE-49B8-A089-2E6EA6B2AE93.jpeg.8d36f74c9ba47f4b8b6ee0a562e64e05.jpegE9679731-8387-4A21-8ED5-A4DC3D51247C.jpeg.c300af65dcecff559eb713407610767d.jpeg4538A3B8-95B8-427E-AA20-369169AFE309.jpeg.de35f451e7ec30025059e5456152299d.jpeg

You don’t need the D rings but the strap will probably scratch the grab rail. 

B61C21DF-5E6F-4CFC-9946-F64CA5E2B24E.jpeg.eee1c2f1bc5e71e78d357c2d0e08a161.jpeg

You can also run them vertical but they fit better horizontal. 
63341A64-368A-4FC2-BC75-215D312E5813.thumb.jpeg.4d7557e43a60f8fa1a5974e943af43cc.jpeg51DAFF36-C70E-407E-93A6-C7EA7890D1BF.thumb.jpeg.4bcdbc583639dad32a03c9d46e61ece8.jpegD80C65FA-AE90-4F3A-982D-BD87D7B33E6C.thumb.jpeg.2bf1329390bc54a2bb2758567a6f3f71.jpeg

They definetly look good. Have you tried them with a passenger?

I'm deciding between this ones or Enduristan Blizzard size L, but my main concern is if I will be able to use them when doing small trips with my girlfriend on the rear seat.

I really like those Rally Raid racks. I also like the Outback rear rack. I know the SW rear rack works with the RR racks but I can't find any info on the outback rack that shows spacers and things like that to know if they are compatible. 

Anyone with that rack have an idea of the spacers it uses?

Mike

• Like 1

Rocky mountain had the SW rear rack so I just ordered it and the Rally raid ones. I now have all the stuff I need for my bike (hahahahaha!!! yeah right)

Mike

i want the Rally Raid racks --- uhm,  so badly, I cannot come up with a metaphor for how badly

Mounted the Rally Raid on my bike yesterday along with the exhaust support. The install went smoothly. Be sure to keep all of the mounting points really loose and tighten them up only after every fitting is attached.

I'm looking at a couple of rear rack solutions, both from B&B Offroad Engineering. I need a taller seat, so I'm looking at combining one of these with the Seat Concepts solo tall comfort or the SC comfort tall full seat or OEM rally seat:

tenere-700-tail-rack-polished-3_1.jpg

A sturdy and compact tail rack formed from 1 piece of structural 5mm thick alloy plate. Mounting utilises the rear factory mount and our hidden subframe mount bracket. Please note a small notch on the inner black plastic guard is needed to mount bracket. The rack comes pre-threaded for...

OR

tenere-700-carry-rack-black-_1.jpg

T7 Solo Carry rack has been designed predominantly for the solo rider to keep loads as forward and low as possible. The plate has multiple attachment points making easy to tie down bags. The plate is predrilled for mounting systems for both Givi monokey and Rotopax. The rack is light in weight...

I'm also waiting to see what AltRider comes up with as I've used their racks on other bikes.

I'm trying the Mosko Moto R80 pannier set-up after really enjoying using the Backcountry 35l panniers on my DR650 for years. The Backcountry panniers are just too wide on the T7 with the current pannier rack offerings.

MM stuff is pretty expensive and somewhat overbuilt/complicated, but it has held up well for me after many low speed tumbles and even getting hit by a side-by-side on a narrow and technical trail. The crash replacement deal MM offers is for real. They gave me 50% on not just one, but two, panniers to replace my badly torn older version pannier. 

• Like 3