Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What tire combo are you using?

Moto

Changed out my stock Pirellis for Motoz Tractionator Rallz tires - for the rear it's a 140/80-18. I did the front first about 6 weeks ago, and got in a good trail ride before the snow hit. I wanted better off-road performance. I plan to do 80/20 off/on road riding. The tire is only barely wider than the rim, so I'm wondering if the rim will get more beat up in rocky terrain than with a 150 tire. Not sure if I like the 140 size yet.

Review: I love the front! It feels to me like a good 80/20 tire, with solid pavement performance and good combo off-road. I've used it on the interstate, twisty paved back roads, fast dirt roads, and gravel/rocks/silt. It has worked well everywhere. Just a hint of hum on pavement, but I'm pleased with it. It seems more dirt oriented than other adventure tires, but does the pavement fine.  I think it'll be perfect for Colorado trails. For really soft dirt/desert sand riding, I suspect a Shinko MX 216 or Pirelli MT 21 would probably be better. 

The 140/80 rear makes the bike a hint taller, and is more slippery on pavement than the Pirelli. Down-shifting it skids a little (new), and I noticed it slip on pavement stripes. Got to do an inadvertent power slide on a turn on concrete when accelerating hard. That was fun! It has a hum on pavement which was noticeable over my helmet wind noise. Not a big deal, yet. My initial impression is that it should be awesome in the dirt, and tolerable on the street. If I was doing less than 80% off road, I don't think it would be a good choice. Need the snow to melt so I can do a dirt test with it too.

UPDATE: Still like the front. The rear, however, is NOISY at highway speeds. For short sections, no big deal. After 30 minutes, though, I'm thinking "I can't wait to slow down and hear myself think again!" Loud hum. For me it's just too much a MX tire pattern for highway use. Terrific on dirt, but loud on pavement. And really, it is terrific on dirt. Grabs, motors you up hills in the loose stuff, sticks in turns. If you're 90% dirt, good choice! That said, my next tire will be the Adventure, I think. I'd only buy the RallZ again if I was planning on no more than 10% highway sections.

20201227_152841.jpg

20201227_152914.jpg

Edited by Moto
  • Like 8

Good excellent feedback on the tires. Thanks for posting.

Look forward to updates as you ride.  I have had the  MT-21's on my WRR for some time.  I know, different bike, 160 lbs. lighter but great 80/20.   Not noisy either. 

I am real close at 6000 miles on my bike for a replacement set soon.  I think the originals will be replaced with the Shinko 804 Crossfly.  I am also going to install the Outex tubeless tire rim sealing kit I have on hand.

Utilizing the latest in dual sport tire technology these adventure tires are ideal for situations where a rider spends 40% on-road and 60% off-road.

Edited by whisperquiet

On 12/29/2020 at 10:29 PM, whisperquiet said:

I am real close at 6000 miles on my bike for a replacement set soon.  I think the originals will be replaced with the Shinko 804 Crossfly.  I am also going to install the Outex tubeless tire rim sealing kit I have on hand.

Utilizing the latest in dual sport tire technology these adventure tires are ideal for situations where a rider spends 40% on-road and 60% off-road.

just ordered the outex tubeless set up. Was going to use it with the stock tires to get some use out of them. The rear rim has the TL bump. The front does not. Wonder if that is an issue?

The oem rear tire doesn't look to cover the edge of the rim anymore than that tire does. 

• Like 1

Any Rallz buyers: The rear is NOISY at highway speeds. 

Edit - Actually, I think MotoZ changed the tread pattern since I bought the Rallz late last year. It looks different now on their website than the one I have. Mine has wider-spaced lugs, more like a MX tire. No wonder it's so noisy (see pic in initial post). 

Comparsion: https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-rallz-2/

Edited by Moto

I have the stock size RallZ tires front and back on my t7. Like them so far. On the highway they are a little loud, and the bike was a touch squirrelly but I had never been on the freeway with it and maybe it’s the tire, maybe it’s the fact the bike is lighter and more affected by wind.

I had the AX 41s on my Super Tenere. They were the loudest tires I have ever had. I wear ear plugs, and they bothered me then as being too loud. They were probably the best tires I ever ran though I really liked them on the s10. Wanted to try the motoz tires on the t7 as the AX41 did. It last very long.

Mike

• Like 1

I'm currently running the AX-41's on my T7.  Love the traction I get everywhere on these, but because of longevity issues I will probably run something else when they're done.

For my next set of tires, I'm debating between the Dunlop  Trailmax Missions, Michelin Anakee Wilds or even a Motoz Tractionator GPS on the rear and either a Motoz Tractionator Adventure or the Rallz up front. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

For my next set of tires, I'm debating between the Dunlop  Trailmax Missions, Michelin Anakee Wilds or even a Motoz Tractionator GPS on the rear and either a Motoz Tractionator Adventure or the Rallz up front. 

Combined the trail max mission front with the motoz GPS rear. Both improvements over stock STR’s  on & off road. Sure footed & quiet on the tarmac but compromise shows up in the dirt. Front performs surprisingly better than its road bias looks. Rear with that center strip will struggle for traction in anything greasy. Both carcasses so stiff they almost must be aired down to improve the off road performance.

Good combo for genuine 50/50 riding & high mileage but less than stellar in wet/soft off road. 

• Like 2

Just ordered the Motoz Adventure tyres so will be interesting to see how they go. The treads are 15mm deep instead of the 9.5 TKCs and a hardish compound 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Combined the trail max mission front with the motoz GPS rear. Both improvements over stock STR’s  on & off road. Sure footed & quiet on the tarmac but compromise shows up in the dirt. Front performs surprisingly better than its road bias looks. Rear with that center strip will struggle for traction in anything greasy. Both carcasses so stiff they almost must be aired down to improve the off road performance.

Good combo for genuine 50/50 riding & high mileage but less than stellar in wet/soft off road. 

Excellent feedback, thank you.  I am definitely looking for that true 50/50 do-it-all combo and this sounds promising.  Don't think I've read anything or watched any videos that have said negative things about the Dunlop Trailmax (front and rear).  Same with the Motoz GPS.

• Like 1

My new tyres arrived. Went for Motox tractionater Adventure. Flippin eek they look good

72D21224-5CA1-4642-BB74-7D56DFB4025E.jpeg

37A6D9FC-564A-4295-8E4C-2609D58DE0C7.jpeg

B48EF388-D0A2-4E1F-B642-5C19A59BEACD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matth said:

My new tyres arrived. Went for Motox tractionater Adventure. Flippin eek they look good

72D21224-5CA1-4642-BB74-7D56DFB4025E.jpeg

37A6D9FC-564A-4295-8E4C-2609D58DE0C7.jpeg

B48EF388-D0A2-4E1F-B642-5C19A59BEACD.jpeg

These look great & have been on my radar. Not readily available & pricey in Canada. Be interested in your experience. Some less than positive reviews on that front long term, but the rear looks perfect as more dirt bias than their GPS I’m currently running.

Did you go 140 or 150 out back?

I kept the standard 150 size, if i cant travel this year i will just store them. As bought to head through portugal.

fingers crossed!

I’ve ordered a pair of Pirelli Scorpio Rally tires. There is a lot of mud here in New England, so went for something pretty aggressive.  Size 140/80 rear which has supposedly been deemed safe by Pirelli for the wide T7 rim. 

• Like 1

Just mounted a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds for my trip out to Big Bend TX.  Rode them on pavement today  @28 psi and very comfortable and surprisingly sticky on twisties.  Only issue (which I expected) was that the more aggressive Knobbies vs stock  makes for a louder ride at highway speeds.  Will post full report when I return after getting them dirty.

• Like 3

Though loud on pavement, the Rallz really is an excellent off-road tire. Did a loose dirt ride today, and it really stuck. Awesome traction in loose dry dirt. That said, I'll still try the Adventure next for a quieter ride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VA2TX said:

Just mounted a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds for my trip out to Big Bend TX.  Rode them on pavement today  @28 psi and very comfortable and surprisingly sticky on twisties.  Only issue (which I expected) was that the more aggressive Knobbies vs stock  makes for a louder ride at highway speeds.  Will post full report when I return after getting them dirty.

Looking forward to hearing about your feedback when you return as I am considering the Anakee Wilds myself for my next set of tires.

This spring TKC 80 front and Motoz Tractionator GPS rear. Cheers

• Like 1

The Bridgestones look great!Can’t wait to hear a report on them.

• Like 1

I am going for TKC 80 on front and Motoz Tractionator RallZ on rear.

I finally pulled the trigger and put a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires in stock sizes on.

Very happy with the tire so far for my riding, improved performance over stock tires both on and off road.

These tires are fantastic on road and off road the front is much more planted than the Pirellis, the rear may have slightly less forward bight in the soft stuff, but I say might because if it does it is very slight. The only problem these tires have so far is how they look, they look as though they would be great on road and problematic off road, but that is not the case, they preform surprisingly well off road. I am a little concerned with the reported performance on road in wet conditions, but since my bike is not required to be a daily, I can for the most part be a far weather rider so that was not a major concern.

I will let you know my developing opinion as I get some miles on them now that the snow is beginning to go.    

• Like 2