Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What tire combo are you using?

Moto

My opinion would be to keep your tires balanced. I think the OEM tires are 50/50 dirt/street. If you go with an 80/20 rear to do better on dirt, you should consider upgrading your front to match it. I had an 70/30 front on for a while with the 50/50 OEM rear just to wear the rear out.   

Edited by Moto

Normally i would patch the tyre when punctured, also with my other bike with tubeless but in this case it time for a new one anyway.
It all depends on what you do with the bike.
On my Crosstourer i always changed the set but i rode mostly on the road with that one, with the T7 i leave the front when not necessary.
It also depends on the feel but like @Moto said when you go for a more offroad biased rear then you need to change the front too.

Thank you both for your replies! Absolutely it depends on the riding. I’m around 60% road now and will just change both to have good feel and capability off road. Not the cheaper option but nice to have brand new shoes. 

• Like 1

I would pull out the screw, fit a new tube and keep motoring.  Wouldn't think twice about continuing to use that tire if there still is good tread left.

Mixing different tires is a non issue, I wouldn't lose any sleep being concerned.

Before this happened you probably had some idea on what tires you would go with next.  Just get that rear and mount it.  Wear the stock front out and fit a new one whenever it finally wears out.

• Like 1

I currently have a Golden Boy dual sport tire on front. I have a RallZ on back. I'd say the Golden Boy is 70/30 dirt/street, and the Rallz is near 100% dirt, so maybe not as balanced as I should be. The Golden Boy isn't one of the more talked-about tires no doubt, but I'm posting about it to suggest that it's at least a viable option.

When I bought this latest Cheng-Shin incarnation 3,100 miles ago for my T7, I did it with a little trepidation that it might suck for a bike this heavy. It hasn't sucked at all - in fact, it's been as reliable as ever. This tire is excellent on hard dirt terrain and rocks common to 4x4 roads in Colorado. It's good on the highway, both rain and dry. It's good on dirt roads. And it's also not bad in sand, soft dirt, and single track. I'm careful pushing off-camber turns with loose dirt or gravel, but that's the only time I think about it. 

What about wear? It's wearing way better than the RallZ front did. I think it'll go 6,000 miles. The RallZ I had before this - while great off-road - was wearing badly by 4,000 miles from highway use. I think this tire is better than the OEM Pirelli which I found scary on loose dirt and 4x4 roads. 

Just putting this out there as a reasonable budget option for those of us like me wanting to save on tires and still ride hard both on and off-road.

20220810_185801.jpg

Edited by Moto
  • Like 2

I ran dozens of sets of the Shinko 244s(golden boy is the front 244) and still run the rear on my DR650. Like you say its a good all around tire, the only cavet would be mud or wet clay, they wash out pretty bad in this situation, which we have lots of around here. Eventually I switched to a TKC front with the 244 rear on my DR and thats what I run to this day, but I also have another set of rims with full knobbies too!

ON the T7, Ive been running a Motoz ADV rear and my go to TKC front, the Motoz is one of the loudest tires Ive ever ran! not bad at first but with a few thousand KMs on it , WOW! does it howl!!, great tire though.

I about to head off on a 5000 +/-km trip thats mostly pavement so I have an Shinko 805 on my spare rear rim and I put the stock perelli back on the front which is still in decent shape and will be fine for this trip. We,ll see how the 805 lasts, might be a good 50/50 tire if it holds up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or are the stock tires (I have a 2022 T700) very noisy on road?

10 hours ago, Eatfat1961 said:

Is it just me or are the stock tires (I have a 2022 T700) very noisy on road?

Yes it is you.   If you want to hear what loud tires sound like,  install a set a Motoz Ralls on the front and back of your T7.   The stock tires are actually really smooth and quiet.  GREAT 80/20, street/dirt tire.  

• Like 6

• Moderators

@Eatfat1961 I agree with @Redneckj, the stock Pirellies are dead silent compared to the RallZ.   Everything is a compromise,  if you want quiet and great street manners, stick with the oem Pirellies. But, be prepared for an E ticket ride in loose gravel from those, unless you switch to something like the MotoZ RallZ, which are louder, but they're quieter than your screams if on the Pirellies while on gravel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The stock tires have surprised me with just how good they are on the street. They must have a lot of silica in them. 

Off road, I would rate them mediocre on gravel and dirt. Mine haven't seen any appreciable mud or sand yet. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 3