Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fuel Cap

MDB1

I'm in CO and recently placed an order with T7Rally.com.  Prior to placing the order I had some questions about what I was ordering and Ben responded very promptly over several emails.  I placed my order on a 4/14/21 and received a shipping confirmation email with a DHL tracking # on 4/15/21.  My order showed up in CO on Sunday 4/18/21.

Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend T7Rally as the service I received was great.  I still need to install the gas cap and windscreen adjuster but the quality of the products I purchased seems to be very good so I don't anticipate any issues with the installs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, projected said:

I'm in CO and recently placed an order with T7Rally.com.  I placed my order on a 4/14/21 and received a shipping confirmation email with a DHL tracking # on 4/15/21.  My order showed up in CO on Sunday 4/18/21.

Same here. I get stuff from the EU via DHL FASTER than I do from the west coast via UPS/FEDEX or USPS!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Installed one yesterday. Everything went smooth with the exception of getting the gasket around the tank cover. Was a real PIA. I warmed it a little with a heat gun to make it more flexible and finally got it in.  The material is a stiffer rubber than the OEM gasket. 

Other than that brilliant design and looks as good if not better than stock. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 6:50 AM, Offcamber said:

Installed one yesterday. Everything went smooth with the exception of getting the gasket around the tank cover. Was a real PIA. I warmed it a little with a heat gun to make it more flexible and finally got it in.  The material is a stiffer rubber than the OEM gasket. 

Other than that brilliant design and looks as good if not better than stock. 

I agree 100%, the gasket was the only difficult part. I'm loving my cap, just filled up yesterday with my cap flipped up and attached to the bike 😲

Has anyone laid the bike down and checked for fuel leaks?

Edited by Yammybound88
tense correction

4 hours ago, Yammybound88 said:

I fell over a while back on a sandy trail. No leaks 🙂 

2 hours ago, TenereTom said:

I fell over a while back on a sandy trail. No leaks 🙂 

Good to hear - anyone else have any feedback?

On 6/18/2021 at 11:39 AM, Yammybound88 said:

I think it would perform however the stock cap performs since the sealing is stock.

Edited by projected

On 3/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, BADDANDY said:

I personally hate flip-up caps.  So glad the T7's is like a dirtbike's.  Trying to pull a fuel nozzle spring-loaded CAFE boot up with gloves on is a pain in the ass with a cap in the way.  I'm gonna make a key blank mod so the cap can be removed without having to use the ignition key.

A men.  I fought that frigging boot on 2 different bikes back to back for years. Love the removable cap! Key blank is a good idea but I don't even mind taking my key out of the ignition for fueling. It's not like you're gonna lose the gas cap/key while refueling?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Burner said:

I’m sure someone else will be making one soon enough.

Sadly the  bad reports about this company far outweigh the good...

I bought the black fuel cap. Fantastic service from start to finish. Supurb quality and very good YouTube installation video. T7 rally highly recommended. It was a hobby job to start and I don’t think they had the service levels at the start. Much better now. Make your own mind up

• 1 month later...

There's competition in Fuel Hinge land... Check this Polish 3d printed hinge:

Fuel Cap Hinge for Yamaha T700 Tenere Available for Yamaha T7 Ténéré 700 all production years Thanks to this product, you will no longer drop the fuel cap on the ground when refueling! - strong and effective...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive hinged cap solution, I've had this on my T7 for a few thousand miles now.  Works great and hard to beat for $10.  I'm not affiliated with the seller.

il_1080xN.3476213674_rdqc.jpg

This Bike Parts item by Rad3dSolutions has 12 favorites from Etsy shoppers. Ships from Alexandria, VA. Listed on Jan 16, 2023

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive hinged cap solution, I've had this on my T7 for a few thousand miles now.  Works great and hard to beat for $10.  I'm not affiliated with the seller.

il_1080xN.3476213674_rdqc.jpg

This Bike Parts item by Rad3dSolutions has 12 favorites from Etsy shoppers. Ships from Alexandria, VA. Listed on Jan 16, 2023

Outstanding! I love the simplicity & economy of this.

I've always just tossed the cap over the ignition when filling up (thanks to others for that idea) and it works great. But if I ever decide I want a hinged cap this seems like an awesome solution. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just fitted a new hinged cap from T7Rally.  Generally happy with it but it wasnt without a few issues

- The quality of the machining is actually better than the website image suggests, I cant see any machining marks in the recess like it shows on the website, it really is very good.

- The youtube video guidance for fitting it was excellent and really helped.

- I ordered a black cap and received silver (st.steel I assume?) screws, these are visible when installed so I instead re-used the existing black ones I had.  Not a problem but not what I expected having watched the youtube guidance.

- None of the screws came with pre-applied locktight and no little tube of it was provided (as an earlier post suggested).

- The replacement "seal" provided for the tank plastic top hole that is notched to allow for the hinge is absolutely terrible quality, it feels more like 3d printed plastic than rubber , its hardly compliant at all and it was an absolute nightmare to fit because you can only fit it after slipping the cover back over the tank spout and at that point the hinge is rubbing on your plastic trim in a place that is visible after the installation is complete.