Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft luggage options

Mark

Hi all, 

I'm looking at buying some soft luggage for my T7, any advice is appreciated. 

I don't want to fit a rack, just "drop on / tie on"  top case / panniers 

many thanks 

Mark

I rode the KAT last summer with 7 buds. We had a mix of Givi, Enduristan, Mosko, Giant Loop and Kriega between us. Based on that trip, 5 days off road, the givi sustained the most damage from just wear and tear. Just couldn't handle the abuse well. I ran the Giant Loop. It is okay stuff, but the mounting is not as good as the Enduristan, Kriega and Mosko. Plus I don't like the "vinyl" material as much as the others. Enduristan uses the vinyl on the inside of the cordura to protect and they use a red color so it is easy to find stuff down inside the bag (contrast).

My buddy riding with the Enduristan gear, his was perfect at the end. Handled the abuse well, mounts easy and stays put. Same for the Mosko and Kriega but I like the shape and simplicity of the Enduristan the most. I don't like the "mount" base for the Kriega and Mosko in addition to the bags. I bought a set of Enduristan side bags and a top bag when I got home based on what I saw. It was nice seeing all the different options in use at the same time. Sold my Giant Loop stuff, I just like the Enduristan better. 

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 6

That Kreiga Tenere specific mount doesn't fit with the OEM Rally seat.  It's really far forward because the mounting points lack enough adjustability and you can't loop the mounts around the pillion pegs due to the extra seat height.  If you go this route, use the Universal base instead.  It has more adjustability.  The rear mounts straps can't be removed from the cam lock so you have to loop them around the supplied spools.  That rear webbing is a different finish than the rest of the nylon.  It looks like a nylon strap that was left outside for 2yrs in the sun.

It's really a shame Kreiga didn't address this.  I ordered my Tenere base from their UK distributor as it wasn't available in the US at the time.  I though it may be a preproduction model but the Kreiga USA website shows it looks the same.

Other than that, when you get it mounted, it works great.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 2

Kreiga universal mount works well with a rally seat. I move it as far forwards as possible for mass centralisation. 6,12 or 18 litre bags can be used depending upon space/ storage requirements. An added bonus' of these bags can be used separately mounted to rear rack, or crash bars, or as pannier topper bags on other bikes.  Very versatile bags, I have a pair of all sizes, if one is damaged only one is needed to replace it. 

@Louis In an older thread I saw that you had the rear mounts for the OS Base attached to the top of your B&B rear rack.  I just ordered a B&B compact rack and luggage plate (start the likely 2-month clock).  Do you think the rear OS mounts will attach underneath the B&B rack (or in some other fashion) to allow a top box to be fitted on the rack at the same time?  

I'd also love to see the OS-12 bags mounted on your rig with the AS side racks underneath if you have any photos.

I’m after the same. I’ve hd the Kriega recommended, but I’m leaning towards the Enduristans because of no base. I’m trying to find someone who uses the Blizzards who also have a high exhaust, to see if they fit well.

@JayD

I agree on the Enduristans Blizzard XL, but good luck on finding them, they are out of stock everywhere I have checked.

I have added grab handles and Heed lower bar to keep soft luggage of plastic hoping the Enduristans finally become available.

0318210625_HDR.thumb.jpg.002d392fea9ac0ed7e3f6c5a11a68a3b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayD said:

I’m after the same. I’ve hd the Kriega recommended, but I’m leaning towards the Enduristans because of no base. I’m trying to find someone who uses the Blizzards who also have a high exhaust, to see if they fit well.

I'm very surprised by what you wrote mate. I thought that the Kriega base is an advantage, if you want to take off the bag quicky and comfy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Firebolter said:

I rode the KAT last summer with 7 buds. We had a mix of Givi, Enduristan, Mosko, Giant Loop and Kriega between us. Based on that trip, 5 days off road, the givi sustained the most damage from just wear and tear. Just couldn't handle the abuse well. I ran the Giant Loop. It is okay stuff, but the mounting is not as good as the Enduristan, Kriega and Mosko. Plus I don't like the "vinyl" material as much as the others. Enduristan uses the vinyl on the inside of the cordura to protect and they use a red color so it is easy to find stuff down inside the bag (contrast).

My buddy riding with the Enduristan gear, his was perfect at the end. Handled the abuse well, mounts easy and stays put. Same for the Mosko and Kriega but I like the shape and simplicity of the Enduristan the most. I don't like the "mount" base for the Kriega and Mosko in addition to the bags. I bought a set of Enduristan side bags and a top bag when I got home based on what I saw. It was nice seeing all the different options in use at the same time. Sold my Giant Loop stuff, I just like the Enduristan better. 

Thanks for sharing your experience!  I've been drawn to the Kreiga due to the perceived quality and waterproof exterior.  i also like the options for mounting, either with the base or just affixed to racks.   Which flavor of Eduristan were being used on that trip?  The Blizzard style or just regular?

55 minutes ago, zaskar said:

Thanks for sharing your experience!  I've been drawn to the Kreiga due to the perceived quality and waterproof exterior.  i also like the options for mounting, either with the base or just affixed to racks.   Which flavor of Eduristan were being used on that trip?  The Blizzard style or just regular?

The Blizzard Large size and the 25 Tornado top bag. I bought the same setup. It took 2 months before they were available. Enduristan stuff sells out quickly when places get it. 

Edited by Firebolter

1 hour ago, Veider said:

I'm very surprised by what you wrote mate. I thought that the Kriega base is an advantage, if you want to take off the bag quicky and comfy.

The Kriega base with bags attached does go on & off the bike in seconds. Bit fiddly getting bags attached to base, but still plenty easy enough.
  Nice thing being versatility.  Two 6ltrs I run every day can move up to the crash bars & 12’s or 18’s can go on the base. Or even a single tail bag of any size with or without the base at all. Just a huge variety of configurations for various loads. 
   Getting the bags attached to low profile racks like Adv spec or RR is dependent on the rack / bag compatibility & I’ve no experience there.
  With the T7 specific base you’re committed to running rackless because of its limited adjustments.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

The Kriega base with bags attached does go on & off the bike in seconds. Bit fiddly getting bags attached to base, but still plenty easy enough.
  Nice thing being versatility.  Two 6ltrs I run every day can move up to the crash bars & 12’s or 18’s can go on the base. Or even a single tail bag of any size with or without the base at all. Just a huge variety of configurations for various loads. 
   Getting the bags attached to low profile racks like Adv spec or RR is dependent on the rack / bag compatibility & I’ve no experience there.
  With the T7 specific base you’re committed to running rackless because of its limited adjustments.

My idea is to go for Kriega set 12+12+18 on the top. And without any racks, because of the weight. Only with some protection foil on the plastic parts of the bike.

5 hours ago, JayD said:

That would be me. I have the CAMEL High pipe on my T7. They fit great and follow the lines/angle of the pipe perfectly. If you put a pipe/bag protector on, should be no issue. I have the AD SPec rear rack and the side panels, so my bag never get near the pipe but I will use the pipe protector for extra protection just in case. The other thing I like is the "backing" Enduristan uses. It is much thicker and better than what Giant Loop uses. Giant loop uses nylon strapping and it will wear/gouge into your plastic. It was mounted tight and didn't move, but when I remove them after the KAT trip, my side panels/number plates were eaten up on the 500 by the nylon chaffing and rubbing. My buddies Husky with the Enduristan dod not have that issue. Not a bid deal, it's a dirt bike, but it shows the better design IMO.

I use stuff bags, so I don't take mine off at night when on a trip, I just pull out the liners/bags and go! 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51048590113_7a2acc0dc5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51049403652_e55406140f_b.jpg

Edited by Firebolter

5 minutes ago, Veider said:

My idea is to go for Kriega set 12+12+18 on the top. And without any racks, because of the weight. Only with some protection foil on the plastic parts of the bike.

All about saving weight & expense of racks for sure. Protection for plastics is then mandatory. Consider some reinforcements of that weak flange on the back side too. Saw one vid of it suffering breakage beneath the weight of Mosko’s R8O

Edited by Hammerhead

3 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

All about saving weight & expense of racks for sure. Protection for plastics is then mandatory. Consider some reinforcements of that weak flange on the back side too. Saw one vid of it suffering breakage beneath the weight of Mosko’s R8O

I have B&B compact tail rack waiting for install 🙂 But at the end I am considering installation. With my idea of Kriega set it probably doesnt make a sense and maybe it will even not work with Kriega OS-Base

14 minutes ago, Firebolter said:

That would be me. I have the CAMEL High pipe on my T7. They fit great and follow the lines/angle of the pipe perfectly. If you put a pipe/bag protector on, should be no issue. I have the AD SPec rear rack and the side panels, so my bag never get near the pipe but I will use the pipe protector for extra protection just in case. The other thing I like is the "backing" Enduristan uses. It is much thicker and better than what Giant Loop uses. Giant loop uses nylon strapping and it will wear/gouge into your plastic. It was mounted tight and didn't move, but when I remove them after the KAT trip, my side panels/number plates were eaten up on the 500 by the nylon chaffing and rubbing. My buddies Husky with the Enduristan dod not have that issue. Not a bid deal, it's a dirt bike, but it shows the better design IMO.

I use stuff bags, so I don't take mine off at night when on a trip, I just pull out the liners/bags and go! 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51048590113_7a2acc0dc5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51049403652_e55406140f_b.jpg

Thanks man, thats perfect. I have the Huzar and not the Camel, but since theres a local store nearby I will go there and test them on.

Regarding using liners and just pull them off, thats genious! I just hope the typical thief knows how easy it is to remove soft luggage and their worth when staying at a hotel, haha! I got a solution for that: tent in the woods 😉

7 minutes ago, Veider said:

I have B&B compact tail rack waiting for install 🙂 But at the end I am considering installation. With my idea of Kriega set it probably doesnt make a sense and maybe it will even not work with Kriega OS-Base

Probably some compatibility issues with the B&B rack & T7 specific base given the mounting spools Kriega supplies. With their standard base it would likely combine no problem.

I’m running zero racks & Kriega just takes up the pillion seat

• Like 1

A while back a saw a post where someone had disassembled the Kriega OS Base rear pucks and bolted the loop straps at the rear rack mounting points on the bike.  I spent a couple of hours trying to find that post again with no luck.  Was that anyone on this thread?

20 hours ago, Toei said:

@Louis In an older thread I saw that you had the rear mounts for the OS Base attached to the top of your B&B rear rack.  I just ordered a B&B compact rack and luggage plate (start the likely 2-month clock).  Do you think the rear OS mounts will attach underneath the B&B rack (or in some other fashion) to allow a top box to be fitted on the rack at the same time?  

I'd also love to see the OS-12 bags mounted on your rig with the AS side racks underneath if you have any photos.

@Toei I think this would work for you, side mounted on the B&B rear rack. Hopefully this is what you want. 

16161344530183435816518911465152.jpg

16161344915868559004127169653739.jpg

16161345373311085252423294751111.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JayD said:

Yes they fit well! Had an off road excursion to  trial it. I find this system very versatile especially using the base on the T7. Able to  bring weight forward with plenty of additional attachment on the Adventurespec rack to the rear. 

Edit, the Adventurespec side rack weights 3 fifths of F^ck all.

Edited by Louis
Extra information
  • Thanks 1