Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft luggage options

Mark

Really been enjoying my AltRider Hemisphere system. For short rides, I use the holsters for tools, lunch, water. etc. For overnights, I use the dry bag. I've even used the holsters with smaller woflman dry bags if no camping gear was needed. This is the most flexible system I've owned. They are hard to find used, as no one wants to sell them. 

https://www.altrider.com/altrider-hemisphere-saddlebag/pid/1467

8 hours ago, Louis said:

Yes they fit well! Had an off road excursion to  trial it. I find this system very versatile especially using the base on the T7. Able to  bring weight forward with plenty of additional attachment on the Adventurespec rack to the rear. 

Edit, the Adventurespec side rack weights 3 fifths of F^ck all.

You’re combining their original OS base with the AS racks, yes? Nice to see that works out, if the T7 specific unit I have ever kills the plastics I could just switch to that set up & all the bags are still relevant. 
   What’s liked about the T7 specific is the triangulation of the straps but it is a shame Kriega didn’t allow some adjustability on the lower strap loops as the original has.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, Firebolter said:

That would be me. I have the CAMEL High pipe on my T7. They fit great and follow the lines/angle of the pipe perfectly. If you put a pipe/bag protector on, should be no issue. I have the AD SPec rear rack and the side panels, so my bag never get near the pipe but I will use the pipe protector for extra protection just in case. The other thing I like is the "backing" Enduristan uses. It is much thicker and better than what Giant Loop uses. Giant loop uses nylon strapping and it will wear/gouge into your plastic. It was mounted tight and didn't move, but when I remove them after the KAT trip, my side panels/number plates were eaten up on the 500 by the nylon chaffing and rubbing. My buddies Husky with the Enduristan dod not have that issue. Not a bid deal, it's a dirt bike, but it shows the better design IMO.

I use stuff bags, so I don't take mine off at night when on a trip, I just pull out the liners/bags and go! 

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51048590113_7a2acc0dc5_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51049403652_e55406140f_b.jpg

Thank you for a very informative post. I still haven’t decided. GL, MM, enduristan, many options. What I do see though, is the need for a rear rack so I have mounting points in the rear!

6 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

ou’re combining their original OS base with the AS racks, yes?

Yes, the T7 specification one is designed for  no racks necessary. 

9 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Really been enjoying my AltRider Hemisphere system.

I also have this  system, not as versatile as the Kreiga OS system. I personally found it fiddly to fit well. It never seemed to sit snug. 

I´m also looking for new set of soft luggage without racks and I´m thinking between Enduristan Blizzard XL and Kriega OS-Base with 2 x 18L bags.

As I understood reading this topic then if I will decide for Kriega luggage then the safe way to go is to buy the universal base as I´m thinking to buy also 

B&B small rack in the future where I can easily fix the base upper part.

I wonder if it´s possible to buy universal OS-Base and fixing it still the same as T7 oriented OS-base with upper attachments before I will finally get the rear rack.

On 3/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, UtahJack said:

@JayD

I agree on the Enduristans Blizzard XL, but good luck on finding them, they are out of stock everywhere I have checked.

I have added grab handles and Heed lower bar to keep soft luggage of plastic hoping the Enduristans finally become available.

I just ordered some from revzilla, might be here today 🙂

5 hours ago, Riff said:

I wonder if it´s possible to buy universal OS-Base and fixing it still the same as T7 oriented OS-base with upper attachments before I will finally get the rear rack.

Looks like the universal base requires independent rear attachment points either by drilling plastics or into a small rear rack as mentioned. https://kriega.com/adventure/os-base

@papab

That's interesting I just checked Revzilla and they still list MD, LG, XL, as being "out of stock" SM is the only size in stock. I even have had a request in for sometime to be notified when they are in stock and haven't heard a thing.

You ordered Enduristans Blizzard XL?

27 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@papab

That's interesting I just checked Revzilla and they still list MD, LG, XL, as being "out of stock" SM is the only size in stock. I even have had a request in for sometime to be notified when they are in stock and haven't heard a thing.

You ordered Enduristans Blizzard XL?

image.png.2ab42ac7e7b92dc53cc35ada577226e3.png

3/12.  Wow, bummer for you   😒

@papab

Wow, that is strange I have tried to buy those for months and have had the email notification for the same time.

Just checked again still out of stock, let me know when you get them, and what you think of them.

I guess I shouldn't rely on their notification and just check everyday to see if I can get lucky.

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Looks like the universal base requires independent rear attachment points either by drilling plastics or into a small rear rack as mentioned. https://kriega.com/adventure/os-base

I noticed that but actually I was thinking if it´s possible to fix the upper attachments somehow similar to the so called "Tenere base". If you look the 6th picture from the link 

you added, then there is just need a strap, where you can anchor the base mount (dont know how to call the metal anchor). I do not know if this really works out or not but I think it should.

Of course if the base itself is so fifferent that it´s just impossible to maunt it as T7 os-base.

Edited by Riff

Max capacity Kriega loading experiment.

Aside from crash bars, zero racks involved. Full stuffed 18ltr sides are well under handlebar width. 
 If all the gear doesn’t fit in here, I’ve a stuff problem that needs sorted before going anywhere.

920B0E6A-9277-4733-A7FB-6107DFE0D26F.jpeg

95BADCF4-1E31-400C-A213-8AA11F13E12D.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Hammerhead.  Are those Karoo 3 tyres you are running and if so what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Matth said:

Hi Hammerhead.  Are those Karoo 3 tyres you are running and if so what are your thoughts?

No, trail max mission front mixed with motoz GPS rear. Odd combo, but not disappointed so far. Been oogling mitas E10’ for better dirt performance.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, Hammerhead said:

Aside from crash bars, zero racks involved. Full stuffed 18ltr sides are well under handlebar width. 
 If all the gear doesn’t fit in here, I’ve a stuff problem that needs sorted before going anywhere.

920B0E6A-9277-4733-A7FB-6107DFE0D26F.jpeg

Did you use a OS base for T7 or the universal one? Any plastic protection (foil)? I am thinking about following setup: ADVENTURE-SPEC side luggage rack + B&B compact tail rack + Kriega universal OS base + 2x OS 12 Bag + 1x OS 18 Bag on top

8 minutes ago, Veider said:

ADVENTURE-SPEC side luggage rack + B&B compact tail rack

If you are running these, I don't think the OS Base is necessary.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

3 hours ago, Veider said:

Did you use a OS base for T7 or the universal one? Any plastic protection (foil)? I am thinking about following setup: ADVENTURE-SPEC side luggage rack + B&B compact tail rack + Kriega universal OS base + 2x OS 12 Bag + 1x OS 18 Bag on top

T7 specific OS base with 3m film on outer plastics & some reinforcements to the plastics on the back. 
 @Louis pics demonstrate the exact setup you’re talking about on the previous page using the universal base. 
   With the slight extra width the AS racks create you should be able to squeeze an 18 in the middle position.

Only the 12 fits nice in the middle if you go rackless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duibhceK said:

If you are running these, I don't think the OS Base is necessary.

Bonus with the base is, it & any attached bags go on & off the bike in seconds. Plus the base will take any of their bags. 
   Fitting these bags to those racks sans base would be fiddly & may not work with various sizes.  No idea how compatible these racks/bags actually are that way. 
    Kriega bags want 5 fairly specifically placed points for secure fixing.

1 minute ago, Hammerhead said:

Bonus with the base is, it & any attached bags go on & off the bike in seconds. Plus the base will take any of their bags. 
   Fitting these bags to those racks sans base would be fiddly & may not work with various sizes.  No idea how compatible these racks/bags actually are that way. 
    Kriega bags want 5 fairly specifically placed points for secure fixing.

Exactly, thats why I am concerning also OS base.

6 minutes ago, Veider said:

Exactly, thats why I am concerning also OS base.

The T7 specific unit has no adjustment  with the fixed length lower straps but I think it mounts more securely at the bottom with the way the straps triangulate. Also no rack required because of the spools supplied.  I actually extended the lower straps a couple inches to give a second mounting position slightly further back.

9 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

The T7 specific unit has no adjustment  with the fixed length lower straps but I think it mounts more securely at the bottom with the way the straps triangulate. Also no rack required because of the spools supplied.  I actually extended the lower straps a couple inches to give a second mounting position slightly further back.

Thats the reason why I am thinking about the universal OS Base. It will give more options how to handle lower straps and probably more space for mounting further back and more closely to the B&B tail rack

8 minutes ago, Veider said:

Thats the reason why I am thinking about the universal OS Base. It will give more options how to handle lower straps and probably more space for mounting further back and more closely to the B&B tail rack

It’s a trade off, more adjustable but slightly less secure. With universal base I suspect bags will flap a little more

14 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

It’s a trade off, more adjustable but slightly less secure. With universal base I suspect bags will flap a little more

Point is, if the T7 OS Base will work with AS racks

5 minutes ago, Veider said:

Point is, if the T7 OS Base will work with AS racks

No, not compatible. Strictly rackless was my goal.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, Hammerhead said:

What size bags are those on the front guard? 6l? And can you open the bag without removing it?