Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Installing heated grips

Tazmool

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, tonusmaximus said:

any reason why these cant be installed so that the wire comes out from the top of grips?   reason for asking is the atlas throttle lock with lower buttons requires it...

No, not really.  Most put the wire to the bottom part of the grip so it's behind the hand guard, better protected from a branch grabbing it, plus the asthetics of it hidden below.  If you really like that style of throttle lock, sounds like that's the way to go. I use a different style that works with the wire on the bottom.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

If you do use a glue of some kind, there are a couple of things you can do to make sure it doesn't get into places it shouldn't.

First, always apply the glue to the inside of the grip, not to the bar.  This way the glue can only be pushed toward the end of the bar as you install the grip, never toward your controls.  To be safe, don't put any glue on the inboard 1/2" or so of the grip.

On the right grip, you can use a roll of wax paper slipped between the bar and the throttle tube to catch the glue that squeezes out.  Pull it out as soon as you have installed the grip, then clean up any stray glue with an Exacto blade.IMG_7171.thumb.JPG.159af4756704d1d4df9eec80b6521d5c.JPG

Edited by Zero600
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Great info here! @Tazmool and @jdub53     as I plan to install heated grips here soon. I had the Heat Demon on my DR and really liked the heat output and simplicity while also keeping the grips a bit narrower than others.  

I'm curious about the 12v power source tho as I need to power 2 devices -a  wireless quad lock mount and my heated grips. Should I connect both wires here since there are 2 positive leads? Any other switched power sources?

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Henchman said:

Great info here! @Tazmool and @jdub53     as I plan to install heated grips here soon. I had the Heat Demon on my DR and really liked the heat output and simplicity while also keeping the grips a bit narrower than others.  

I'm curious about the 12v power source tho as I need to power 2 devices -a  wireless quad lock mount and my heated grips. Should I connect both wires here since there are 2 positive leads? Any other switched power sources?

Thanks

It's been quite a while since I wired mine up, but pretty sure I used the OEM power source under one front side cover to power my Heat Demon grips and the other side for my Garmin GPS power. IIRC, both OEM power sources are switched and already fused so it made sense for me to take advantage of what Yamaha had so thoughtfully provided.

• Like 2

I used the fitted Sumitomo fir the grips - then use one of the 2 pin switched sockets for the quad lock power

• 1 month later...

Great info, thanks, my install is nearly finished (waiting for glue to fully dry)

I had to cut the left grip off because some clown had used some horrible adhesive that took about an hour to scrape off then clean up with steel wool.

I have used the bracket that comes with Oxford heated grips to mount the controller next to the instrument panel. To use it like this the mounting holes for the controller dont line up so I had to drill out three of the existing holes and use a thin piece of aluminium to neaten things up. 

The bracket bends easily in a vice and I used a piece of cardboard to make a template to make sure the bends were in the right place and the profile matches the rear of the instrument panel. One existing bolt holds the bracket in place.

Wiring look runs down and behind left hand panel where the 3 pin accessory plug is.

I will give the bracket a coat of matt black paint to make it look a bit smarter.

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me where I should connect my Heat Demons grips to?

After making the appropriate connections to the heat controller switch, the Heat Demons have three remaining red wires - two are negative, one coming from each heating element.  The third red wire is for power.

I'm planning to connect directly to the auxiliary plug on the left front side of my T7.  I bought the correct Sumitomo connectors.  I'm simply trying to figure out which wires from the Heat Demons get mated to the correct wires in the auxiliary plug.  From the attached pic, the auxiliary plug looks like it has two red/white wires and one black wire. 

Any help is appreciated. 

20221002_114857.jpg

• Moderators

@Seventh Son According to the wiring diagram in the T7 service manual, the black wire in connector # 92 & 93 are grounds and red are positive.  The connection " should be" both black to black ( ground) and red to positive,  which is switched on / off with the ignition.   When in doubt, use a test light on the leads from the bike to confirm. 

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

11 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Seventh Son According to the wiring diagram in the T7 service manual, the black wire in connector # 92 & 93 are grounds and red are positive.  The connection " should be" both black to black ( ground) and red to positive,  which is switched on / off with the ignition.   When in doubt, use a test light on the leads from the bike to confirm. 

Thanks John, that makes sense.

So, it looks like I need to twist the two red ground wires together from the heating elements and connect them to the black wire in the auxiliary connector, and the red power/positive wire from the Heat Demons gets plugged into one of the red wires in the auxiliary connector.  That is consistent with @Tazmool's post on the first page.

I don't know why Heat Demons chose to use red wires as both ground and positive.  Talk about confusing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

Thanks John, that makes sense.

So, it looks like I need to twist the two red ground wires together from the heating elements and connect them to the black wire in the auxiliary connector, and the red power/positive wire from the Heat Demons gets plugged into one of the red wires in the auxiliary connector.  That is consistent with @Tazmool's post on the first page.

I don't know why Heat Demons chose to use red wires as both ground and positive.  Talk about confusing.

I followed Tazmool's excellent guide in the first post of this thread when installing Heat Demon elements on my T7, and did exactly as you posted. I used two pins in the Sumitomo connector on the right side of my bike, with both ground wires from the elements connecting to the OEM black ground and the Heat Demon positive wire to the OEM switched red wire.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I followed Tazmool's excellent guide in the first post of this thread when installing Heat Demon elements on my T7, and did exactly as you posted. I used two pins in the Sumitomo connector on the right side of my bike, with both ground wires from the elements connecting to the OEM black ground and the Heat Demon positive wire to the OEM switched red wire.

Yep, and thanks jdub for helping me over at advrider also. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thanks so much @Tazmool, and the rest of you here, for all this very concrete guidance! 👍😃

Because of all the helpful advice herein, I too managed to mount my Oxfords today!! 🥳

• Like 1

I have had the Oxford grips lying around for some years actually - originally bought for my XT660Z.

Some time ago, after seeing this thread it was easy to find and order a few inexpensive Sumitomo MT 090 3-pin connectors on the internet:

SumitomoMT0903-pin.jpg.png.2bf5fe5bcc3131e93a19437f9bd6fc93.png

The grips mounted - I did cut off some rubber to avoid friction for the throttle:

20230806_165226213_iOS.jpg.a659a1d9a383c3b3b3f9733071ae1f5e.jpg

Had to work a little on the inside of the grip to remove some of the dry glue there - now the throttle spins fine:

Handle.jpg.png.32c5f96956925e217998d7998ec50ca4.png

The controller went here:

20230806_164956064_iOS.jpg.c7656b1ed6c9a59bdec160adef4276b2.jpg

Spray-painted black:

20230806_165046481_iOS.jpg.9d95218a2c3ac97247c8e691e0333610.jpg

20230806_165031871_iOS.jpg.f0fdb40289936bdfe1457f3d7d989a02.jpg

Now all good! - Wonderful test-ride today, with heated grips again after all these years! 🤩

And - now, strangely enough, I feel very familiar with the location of the two 2-amp and the two 10-amp connectors - on of each on each side of the bike. Thanks guys!! 😃

Edited by Chev.