Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What Jacket are you wearing ?

Tom_R

Hey,

looking for  new jacket this season, i would like to know, what jacket 

are you wearing  ? 

Looking for allday, commute and touting jacket.

Thanks ! 

I wear a 21 year old Joe Rocket jacket.  They are not being made any longer.  I have 3 other dual sport jackets as well and I keep turning to the Joe Rocket.  

Look for water resistance in a new jacket.  A great fit is a must so try it while on the bike in the parking lot to be sure it's not restrictive.  And it should have a removable liner(s) for comfort all day.  Lots of pockets and venting is important to me.  Then it has to be as handsome as I am.  So in my  case I could buy an ugly jacket and no one would know the difference. 

Have fun shopping for a new  motorcycle jacket. 😀

• Like 1

I have a twelve your old  Rukka armas suit still dry and warm and a BMW enduro suit removable gore-tex liner plenty of vents for summer use.

always buy the best you can afford. 

• Like 1

I went 'down' from Klim Badlands to Carlsbad, mainly for the weight and although it is great, it needs layering, whereas the Badlands had enough venting to cool when hot.

• Like 3

I have three. A leather one Richa, a Bering and a blue one that I don't remember his brand right now. I use a Engel padded winter jumpsuit with knee pads and the Bering jacket in winter season. Boots are  Alpinestar  tech8. I can ride confortable at -5°C.

Edited by Rekiem
  • Like 1

I have the Alpinestars bionic v2 protection vest with the Klim Marakesh for summer and the Klim traverse for the rest of the year. In the winter i have a Gerbing heated jacket under the Traverse and for real heat or serious offroad i have a Klim jersey.

Pants also the Traverse, these are very thin and light but have a laminated Goretex layer.

• Like 1

After having an ADV jacket for a few years, I said hell to the extra pockets, zips, straps, cinches, bulk, and weight!  None which was ever used.  So I went laminated all weather 3 season Scorpion EXO Optima jacket.  Noone says they wear it, but I love it.  In fact I have two, one in Hi-vis for work commute, and one in Red for ADV riding to match the bike.  None of the extras an ADV jacket has, but some of the same features.  I ditched the inner liner and transferred it's snap-ins to a puffer jacket for cold rides, and heated vest for colder ones.  I also added more velcro to the neck and cuffs. Winter pants if the temp never rises are Himalayan padded and lined, and if temps rise, pants are original KLIM Dakars where I'll wear thermals underneath if needed.  Summer suit is White full mesh jacket and pants and I carry military fleece thermals for cold mornings (used this setup for my 2 week IDBDR trip).  All gear is stuffed with hard padded armor, not the new flex easily pierced (street) crap.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Aerostich Darien. It is more of an enduro shell with padding, but no insulation. Stiff as heck when new, but breaks in eventually. They are made in Duluth Minnesota, about four hours north of me. They give you a tour of the factory if you stop in. I get a good feeling supporting local businesses (vs China).

• Like 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Mosko Moto Basilisk. 
Very durable and well thought out piece of gear. Ventilation is great when needed, lock it down for wet weather and stay dry. I’ve always preferred a separate armour system, so the fact that the jacket has none on its own is not an issue. Been sliding in the dirt a few times, washed it off and the jacket didn’t show a scuff. Combine that Mosko’s crash replacement/repair warranty, it’s tough to beat. Fit and finish is top notch (6foot ,205 lbs, wearing a size large over a typical armour top). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, Hibobb said:

Aerostich Darien. It is more of an enduro shell with padding, but no insulation. Stiff as heck when new, but breaks in eventually. They are made in Duluth Minnesota, about four hours north of me. They give you a tour of the factory if you stop in. I get a good feeling supporting local businesses (vs China).

+1. I have several different jackets, but my overall favorite is the Aerostich Darien. It's the best venting jacket I've ever have (besides mesh, of course), and if you hit rain with the vents open you can easily close them on the fly and just keep going. Unlike a different brand that I bought new two years ago where stitching pulled loose the first time I opened a vent, all the Aerostich stuff is very well made and remains 100% waterproof.  

Three Dariens in my closet; two are mine and one is my wife's. Bought all three used but like new over several years for only $200 each on the ADVRider flea market. The oldest is 20 years old and the newest is 14 (the build date is hand-written inside a pocket when made). When I bought my last one in 2021 (the Hi-Viz, for added safety), I contacted Aerostich's top notch customer service folks asking if they could change out the collar to their newer type with magnetic hold-down tabs (they'd done that for $70 on one of my other jackets). They told me that it's age fell outside of their modification policy, but instead sent me the magnetic tab kit for free so I could install it myself. How's that for service?

20211215_142539.thumb.jpg.a9d18d936a7d4aa151aa5da3689173b7.jpg 

• Like 1

I just bought Revit Sand 4 H20 jacket and pants. I haven't ridden in it yet,  snow and ice around me.  It seems to be versatile, rain liner, plus a cold weather liner that can be taken out,  the jacket has a lot of vents. We'll see. 

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I just bought Revit Sand 4 H20 jacket and pants. I haven't ridden in it yet,  snow and ice around me.  It seems to be versatile, rain liner, plus a cold weather liner that can be taken out,  the jacket has a lot of vents. We'll see. 

A good quality jacket such as the Revit will last for many years thus giving you great value in riding gear.  I like it.  I didn't see what the warranty is or where it is manufactured.

• Like 1

I switched from motocross gear to dual sport gear in 2008 so all of my jackets are 14 years old.  I have a Cortech cold weather jacket which allows for comfortable riding down 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a Shift jacket with a removable liner for middle temps from 60 to low 80s, and finally an all mesh jacket for temps above 80. I carry slip over raingear for when its needed. There may be a single jacket that can cover all bases but for me it's just easier to grab and go based on the weather conditions and not worry about liners, inserts, zippers, velcro and such. If I do a multi-day ride with varying weather conditions or a mountain trip where elevation temps change drastically, I take the middle jacket and use the right base layers and the slip over raingear.

I’m using a tour master jacket, been pretty good so far, removeable liner, armoured, decent venting.
Waterproof lining would cause a future rethink, when the outer shell gets wet, it takes a lot of heat away from you, I keep a Columbia fleece layer with me if the weather is suspicious, mountain rides can go south fast!

I’m thinking of my next jacket being with a fully waterproof outer skin to keep the hypothermia away!

Anyone with a good suggestion, I know klim is great, but the price!

@Colddog After decades upon decades of being wet and freezing, I turned 60 years old and spent the money on a quality jacket.... don't wait!

PS: My second M/C was a 1978 XS750E (Red). I loved that bike!

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I wanted a new jacket for the warm spring/summer/fall seasons in Texas that was mesh and would breathe. I purchased the Scorpion Exo Air, and damn this jacket fit like a glove right out of the box. It's simple, without all the crap, which I like. And it feels great with my Kriega hydro 3 on. 

• Like 1

I’m wearing a Klim Dakar jacket for “regular” summer season and I’m trying a Klim Induction mesh for the real hot weather (haven’t had the chance to try it yet). Ive yet to invest in expensive water proof stuff.  I’m slowly purchasing for my more immediate needs and working my way to better gear as I learn what those needs are. And only seat time on the bike can do that! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I’m wearing a Klim Dakar jacket for “regular” summer season and I’m trying a Klim Induction mesh for the real hot weather (haven’t had the chance to try it yet). Ive yet to invest in expensive water proof stuff.  I’m slowly purchasing for my more immediate needs and working my way to better gear as I learn what those needs are. And only seat time on the bike can do that! 

Where did you get your Klim from? Seems everyone is sold out of Klim these days. I need another set of their pants. My old ones are getting smaller, or I'm getting fatter. Not sure which one is happening 🤔 😂

Your old ones are for sure getting smaller… My pants seem to change sizes from summer to winter, and then back again. I’m afraid one of these years they just wont change back…

I think I’ve gotten both of them from motorcyclegear.com. I will usually watch and wait for pricing to go down and if I find what I want in my size I jump on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine are doing EXACTLY thr same. Must be the new fabrics they use these days. 😂

I'll check them out there. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kingsize said:

Where did you get your Klim from? Seems everyone is sold out of Klim these days. I need another set of their pants. My old ones are getting smaller, or I'm getting fatter. Not sure which one is happening 🤔😂

Hard to believe but in Dallas...Moto Liberty. Bought a Klim Carlsbad there.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Klim Baja S4 that I really like…. I tried a few other brands at a local shop and I kept coming back to the Klim for freedom of movement…. I could move in the others but the way this Klim is made, my arms are really free to move every which way…. It’s a permanently vented summer jacket so I’ve had to add some layers underneath and over the top while we’ve still got cold weather…but in a couple months, I’ll be able to lose all that and enjoy the venting in the dry summer heat…

Revit Cayenne pro and it is awesome.  Use wool underlayer for cool weather and its great all the way into the 90's