Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lowering Link Added (Need HELP)

Rickywt

Hey guys so I added Yamaha Oem Lowering link to my T7, but I am confused to how I should adjust my Fork Tubes or how much MM should I bring it up?

Please help any answer would be much helpful

Edited by Rickywt
  • Like 1

I also have the original lowering rods (18mm lower) and in addition the fork - which in the original is already a few mm through - to a total of 15mm through. I am very satisfied with this.

• Like 1

Following this post as I just took delivery of my T7 and although I’m 6’ tall I find it a bit tall in the saddle for me.  

• Like 1

One rule of thumb is to drop the front 1/2 - 3/4 of the rear.  That said, I encourage you to experiment.  I find that I can tell a difference in as little as 2mm of adjustment, especially in the low speed handling.

• Like 1

Installed the Yamaha links about 3 weeks ago, found the left front fork 3mm higher than the right. I was using 7mm for stock fork height and figured +10mm would get me 17mm. I settled on 20mm for the forks and still have 3mm’s left to go up on the fork  grooves for the clamps.

The turn in and handling are great and I’ve run 100+mph with no wobbles or high speed headshakes. 

82D391DD-A074-4666-BB62-6D8B6C259B18.jpeg

On 10/18/2022 at 11:59 PM, smd3 said:

Rally Raid recommends 10mm on their site for their 20mm lowering link. I went with 8mm and haven't had any issues.

I'm sure 8mm with the Yamaha 18mm drop would be sufficient, too.

Same for me...if you look at the forks where they sit in the triple clamp, there is a smoothed section on the fork leg - with only limited scope to drop them. An 8mm fork drop worked fine with the RR 20mm lowering links. I'm 5' 10" and have never felt the need to lower a bike before, but the Tenere is a tall beast and carries its weight high up. Certainly best to fit the links before you drop the bike - unlike me!

On 10/21/2022 at 3:24 AM, Yamablueridge said:

Installed the Yamaha links about 3 weeks ago, found the left front fork 3mm higher than the right. I was using 7mm for stock fork height and figured +10mm would get me 17mm. I settled on 20mm for the forks and still have 3mm’s left to go up on the fork  grooves for the clamps.

The turn in and handling are great and I’ve run 100+mph with no wobbles or high speed headshakes. 

82D391DD-A074-4666-BB62-6D8B6C259B18.jpeg

The steep head angle of the bike keeps it super stable. I only raised my forks +8mm from stock and it’s fine at 100, too. 

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Got 20mm lower links left the forks at the standard settings no effect on handling.

• 1 year later...

The best setting depends on you and how you ride. I would start by leaving the forks fully extended then go for a ride. Then raise them the same as the amount you lowered the bike. You should be able to feel a difference. That will give you a feel for how raising the forks changes handling. Then go to the setting that felt the best and start changing it in increments from there until you get to where it feels the best for you. The other choice is listening to the guys who only ride the freeway or like to do jumps and wheelies and do what they tell you.