Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

General Question about Acerbis Tanks

eddylindenstein

I have never upgraded a fuel tank until yesterday.  I put the 23L Acerbis tank on the T7.  Install went mostly smooth except the gas siphoning was a total pain.

I'm happy with how it looks - it also doesn't seem to make much of a difference in feel of the bike.  

My one concern is that the garage now smells like gas.  The vapors coming off of the tank are pretty strong.  I went and read about the Acerbis tanks and it says that the material is pouros and the fumes will come off of the tank, but it doesn't impact performance - I believe it won't impact performance, but the smell thing is very bothersome.  I work from home and my office is in the garage, and it's also where I work out, so breathing gas smell all day seems like a bad idea.  

Does anyone have any wisdom for me?  I cannot see or find a leak or any spot smelling more than another, it's just the smell coming off every inch of that tank.

Snip20230204_2.png

Snip20230204_1.png

Really interested in the replies to this one. Any thoughts anybody? Small carbon filter for the breather hose might help maybe?

2 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Really interested in the replies to this one. Any thoughts anybody? Small carbon filter for the breather hose might help maybe?

I noticed that under my tank bag there had been a lot of gas that leaked out overnight and ran down the sides of the tank and into my tank bag, too.  I emailed Acerbis and Revzilla about it.  Revzilla was guessing that the cap might have been crossthreaded or something and to check and try again.  Acerbis offered to send me another cap, but said it could have to do with the tank bag, though..  I feel like the cap should be able to vent fine with a bag on top of it; Giant Loop's entire design hinges on being on top of the cap of a tank.  

I'm going to try and re-secure it and let the bag sit on top of it again.  

As for the smell coming off the tank, I think that was from the leaked gas as the smell has worn off almost entirely now.

I hope it can all work out because I did about 200 miles yesterday and I still have two bars of fuel left on the gauge.  I was pretty stoked with how normal the bike felt and how long my adventures could be in between fillups now.

• Like 2

Nice. Sounds like it is ok. Good to hear the bike still feels good with the extra weight up top. I was quite surprised at the limited mileage from the stock tank. Thanks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Nice. Sounds like it is ok. Good to hear the bike still feels good with the extra weight up top. I was quite surprised at the limited mileage from the stock tank. Thanks.

It's really not much weight up higher at all.  The tank's design fills a lot of fuel much lower than the stock tank does down by the fairings.  It's slightly taller, but not by much.  A full 6.1g Acerbis is only 7lbs heavier than a full 4.2g stock tank.  

Good design. I am considering fitting one and was wondering where the extra weight will sit. Lots of weight high up on the T7 so I am trying to avoid any extra. The Shido lithium battery was a winner - stock battery = 4.5kg, Shido battery = 0.9kg! It hasn't exploded yet! Good cranking current and very fast charge time.

• Moderators

Moved to Parts & Upgrades. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

When I put the tank on I had a leak from around the fuel pump. I tried all sorts of sealants but to no avail.

I contacted the supplier in Australia and they immediately sent a new tank.

Fitted the fuel pump and no issues.

I think there was a very small pore or hole where the aluminium fuel pump ring is moulded into the plastic.

The only other time I have smell fuel is when I haven't fitted the cap correctly; my fault.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

32 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

When I put the tank on I had a leak from around the fuel pump. I tried all sorts of sealants but to no avail.

I contacted the supplier in Australia and they immediately sent a new tank.

Fitted the fuel pump and no issues.

I think there was a very small pore or hole where the aluminium fuel pump ring is moulded into the plastic.

The only other time I have smell fuel is when I haven't fitted the cap correctly; my fault.

The gas smell is almost completely gone in the garage now.  Since I posted this I did have a huge leaking issue around the gas cap with my tank bag on top of it.  I'm hoping I put the cap on wrong or something rather than it simply not being capable of having a bag on top of the locking cap as it is supposed to be self-venting.  I think the gas smell I had was from the gas that spilled with the cap issue.  

I rode about 200 miles yesterday and there isn't a smell issue now.  

I too use an Acerbis locking cap (solely due to its internal venting) on my Acerbis tank and a Giant Loop tankbag (mostly due to its design being friendly with raised gas caps). Zero issues with this set-up in thousands of miles on my T7. 

20220628_134936.jpg.411991e884eacbca4a82d2245f003bbc.jpg20220628_135004.jpg.4473710e3dd07199758b37a137cefc57.jpg

Since it sounds like you no longer have the issue, did you perhaps initially park your bike with a hot engine and the tank filled completely to the top? If so, fuel expansion from the rising engine heat would certainly have made gas vent overboard through the cap's vent as that's the only place it could go.  After experiencing this once myself while on a trip (filled the tank completely, then without thinking parked the bike while I went inside the gas station for five minutes and gas had started seeping overboard by the time I came back out), I now either fill the tank just before riding away or leave an inch or so of expansion room at the top if it's going to be parked for a while and never another issue. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jdub53 said:

I too use an Acerbis locking cap (solely due to its internal venting) on my Acerbis tank and a Giant Loop tankbag (mostly due to its design being friendly with raised gas caps). Zero issues with this set-up in thousands of miles on my T7. 

20220628_134936.jpg.411991e884eacbca4a82d2245f003bbc.jpg20220628_135004.jpg.4473710e3dd07199758b37a137cefc57.jpg

Since it sounds like you no longer have the issue, did you perhaps initially park your bike with a hot engine and the tank filled completely to the top? If so, fuel expansion from the rising engine heat would certainly have made gas vent overboard through the cap's vent as that's the only place it could go.  After experiencing this once myself while on a trip (filled the tank completely, then without thinking parked the bike while I went inside the gas station for five minutes and gas had started seeping overboard by the time I came back out), I now either fill the tank just before riding away or leave an inch or so of expansion room at the top if it's going to be parked for a while and never another issue. 

Yes that's actually exactly what I did.  I completed the tank installation, put about a quarter of a gallon into the tank and then rode to a gas station not too far away to fill it completely.  I then rode about 10 minutes around the area to test it out, then parked it with my tank bag on.  Those are really good suggestions you gave - I just gotta be more mindful about it, which isn't an awful trade.  I would love to get a Giant Loop tank bag at some point - those things look awesome!  Which one do you have?

7 hours ago, eddylindenstein said:

Yes that's actually exactly what I did.  I completed the tank installation, put about a quarter of a gallon into the tank and then rode to a gas station not too far away to fill it completely.  I then rode about 10 minutes around the area to test it out, then parked it with my tank bag on.  Those are really good suggestions you gave - I just gotta be more mindful about it, which isn't an awful trade.  I would love to get a Giant Loop tank bag at some point - those things look awesome!  Which one do you have?

Glad to hear you've sorted out the cause of that tank vent overflow situation. I have a GL Fandango on my T7 which works great and doesn't get in the way when standing on climbs as it is positioned as far forward on the tank as possible.

I used an older model GL Diablo on my DR650 for a while which introduced me to GL quality and features, but having used both styles I'd advise anyone to only buy the newer style GL tankbags that have the U-shaped bag-to-base zipper vs their older style which used one zipper on each side. It was a very time consuming and frustrating experience at every fill-up trying to get the zipper on one side reattached and zipped, whereas the U-shape design only requires the single zipper to be partially unzipped for fueling. Obviously GL reacted to lots of feedback in making that design improvement. 

Edited by jdub53

• 1 month later...

Typical. Not fitted my black one yet either (it’s been “maturing” for 18 months)but would be worried red would fade to pink in a couple of years like all red plastic. I think I’ll still keep the black. Still wish I could colour it and apply speedblock decals though. 

Edited by Dougie

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 5:34 AM, jdub53 said:

Got my tank installed last weekend, but haven't put the locking cap on yet.  What did you do with the tube?

9 minutes ago, Triky said:

Got my tank installed last weekend, but haven't put the locking cap on yet.  What did you do with the tube?

You don't need the tube if you have the locking cap, so it's just sitting in a box in my garage now.

20 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

You don't need the tube if you have the locking cap, so it's just sitting in a box in my garage now.

So the tube that was originally plugged into the stock tank extended by the purple tube can just be disregarded?

Just now, Triky said:

So the tube that was originally plugged into the stock tank extended by the purple tube can just be disregarded?

Yeah, if you're using the locking cap because it's self-venting.  I just have the stock black piece tucked behind the metal bracket that's right there in case for some reason I went back to a stock tank.  It's connected to the charcoal canister because there's where the stock tank would breathe to, but since the Acerbis locking cap vents up top, it has no need for that piece on the bottom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

Yeah, if you're using the locking cap because it's self-venting.  I just have the stock black piece tucked behind the metal bracket that's right there in case for some reason I went back to a stock tank.  It's connected to the charcoal canister because there's where the stock tank would breathe to, but since the Acerbis locking cap vents up top, it has no need for that piece on the bottom.

Right on, thank you!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Very helpful thread. I'm planning to buy the Acerbis tank and locking, vented gas cap soon. This thread answered my concerns. In the comments of the RockyMtnATV YouTube installation video, someone reported that the cap doesn't vent properly and that it leaks terribly. Hopefully that was just user error.

Be aware if you are using an MSC ( Rally Moto ) steering dampener it will rub on the tank.

I initially filed the back edge off the dampener adjuster but ended up heating the tank and moulding the front to clear the dampener.

Not sure if Scott's dampener has the same issue.

Also not compatible with RTech replacement plastics.

2 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Be aware if you are using an MSC ( Rally Moto ) steering dampener it will rub on the tank.

I initially filed the back edge off the dampener adjuster but ended up heating the tank and moulding the front to clear the dampener.

Not sure if Scott's dampener has the same issue.

Also not compatible with RTech replacement plastics.

The whole tank swells a bit when it's full and hot, so keep an eye on it or make sure you have ample space after molding it.

Camel's side panels fit well with it.

@RobS yeah the venting is a problem that I wish was user error some, but we both have them and both have the same problem. Gas leaks when it's hot, or when you change elevation, or when you tip your bike. Or whenever it feels like it. Acerbis US recommended doing this, but that hasn't helped. This doesn't seem to be a problem for some people, so maybe you'll luck out.

PXL_20240117_193900260.jpg

• Like 1

advgoats.com

13 minutes ago, random1781 said:

The whole tank swells a bit when it's full and hot, so keep an eye on it or make sure you have ample space after molding it.

@RobS yeah the venting is a problem that I wish was user error some, but we both have them and both have the same problem. Gas leaks when it's hot, or when you change elevation, or when you tip your bike. Or whenever it feels like it. Acerbis US recommended doing this, but that hasn't helped. This doesn't seem to be a problem for some people, so maybe you'll luck out.

Good to know about the Camel side panels. I have those and love them. I don’t have a steering dampener so no worries there. I don’t like what y’all are saying about the venting and leaking problem. I’ve seen that procycle link and was encouraged by it, but not so much after your report. I wonder why they don’t make the tank so that it connects to the vent line from the bottom, like the stock tank. Do you think fitting the non-locking cap with the purple vent hose would fix the problems you described?

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

Yuk! I will stick with the standard cap with vent hose that goes back to the charcoal cannister.

Never had a hot start issue so the cannister stays.