Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

General Question about Acerbis Tanks

eddylindenstein

I couldn't resist and ordered last week. Today it arrived as the first part of some more to come.

Newton-200_unbelüftet+abschließbar.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

I couldn't resist and ordered last week. Today it arrived as the first part of some more to come.

Awesome, keep us posted on your progress! What did you get for a vent?

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

Self venting by the look of it yeah?

The tank cap is not self vented. I've got plans to do the venting internally like in the original tank and will do some research how they solved it in there (any valves?). The rest is pure work at the lathe and milling machine. The sealing will be done with viton and not with cork. It's the only rubber that can withstand fuel permanently.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

The tank cap is not self vented. I've got plans to do the venting internally like in the original tank and will do some research how they solved it in there (any valves?). The rest is pure work at the lathe and milling machine. The sealing will be done with viton and not with cork. It's the only rubber that can withstand fuel permanently.

What are you turning on the lathe?

advgoats.com

18 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

The OEM vent connects to the neck inside the filler hole.

I can't see any one way valves or similar.

I guess the best way is a nipple on top near the filler cap

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

6 hours ago, random1781 said:

What are you turning on the lathe?

Aluminium. I was thinking of doing my own counterpart of the tank cap inside the tank. Make it a little thicker than the part (see picture) you can order from Newton. I don't like the open threads and like to drill dead end holes for the screws. And I could drill a vertical hole for fixing some kind of vent line. Probably made from CuNiFer (cuprum[copper], nickel, ferrum[iron]) you normally use for rust free brake lines on cars.  Between that "ring" and the tank must be another sealing. I ordered 3 sealings (2 to use, 1 as spare part) from a small business in my area. They cut it from 1.5mm Viton®.

After that order I thought to myself, hmm, maybe they can do an even thicker sealing (6-8mm) and machine a vertical hole in for the vent line. It would be squeesed tight when assemling the tank cap...

5 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

The OEM vent connects to the neck inside the filler hole.

I can't see any one way valves or similar.

I guess the best way is a nipple on top near the filler cap

Thanks! I was a little lazy to get my old tank from top of the rack in the storage.

The worst thing you can do is drilling a hole for a vent nipple near the filler cap. I could have ordered a vented tank cap, drop the bike and spill gas all over the engine and ground. And with normal use you smell the gas on warm weather. There are things I like more for sniffing instead of gas fumes 🤫

Tankumbau-7-Montagering_innen.jpg

• Like 1

I can't see an issue in drilling a hole in the top of the tank for a vent.

It isn't any different to a vented cap.

I still have the charcoal cannister and the vent line connects to it.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Owning a vehicle in Germany is sometimes a challenge. Each 2 years you must have a general safety inspection for bikes, cars and small trucks. Bigger trucks must have that each year.

If they see an additional vent hole drilled into the tank you are doomed. Therefore the vent must be hidden in some place where they can't see it and if they must come to the conclusion that it is factory made, safe and street legal. In general the inspecting staff are real vehicle technicians or engineers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

Owning a vehicle in Germany is sometimes a challenge. Each 2 years you must have a general safety inspection for bikes, cars and small trucks. Bigger trucks must have that each year.

If they see an additional vent hole drilled into the tank you are doomed. Therefore the vent must be hidden in some place where they can't see it and if they must come to the conclusion that it is factory made, safe and street legal. In general the inspecting staff are real vehicle technicians or engineers.

Didn't even consider this. Just make sure to do a better job than Volkswagon did! 😂

• Haha 1

advgoats.com

I'll promise. No software just hardware!🙃

• Like 1

I think @Engineer had an elegant venting solution with the fitting on the bottom of the tank and a stand-pipe inside. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 5:09 PM, eddylindenstein said:

Yeah, if you're using the locking cap because it's self-venting.  I just have the stock black piece tucked behind the metal bracket that's right there in case for some reason I went back to a stock tank.  It's connected to the charcoal canister because there's where the stock tank would breathe to, but since the Acerbis locking cap vents up top, it has no need for that piece on the bottom.

I just installed the Acerbis tank (with locking vented cap) this afternoon and covered the stock gas tank vent hose with a soft plastic cap and used the stock clamp to secure it tightly.  I didn't want an empty hose collecting dirt and also didn't want to rip out the entire cannister and have to plug the throttle body holes, so this was my solution.  I tucked the plugged tube back under the tank where it wasn't rubbing on anything.  I assume the bike will run fine with this configuration.

IMG_5739.JPEG

• Like 1

Did a little work on the internal breather. Tube bending, welding & pre fixing. The next steps are smoothing the edges of the tank at the filler cap, sealing and pressure testing. The rubber gaskets are viton. There's another one between cap and tank.

I found out that the original breather has at it's top end a little nozzle with a hole about 1.5 to 2 mm and no valve anywhere. I did the same with my breather and will get rid of the Acerbis valve.

Yam_Breather_Nozzle.jpg

Breather-1.jpg

Breather-2.jpg

Breather-3.jpg

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

Done! ✌️

Pressure test w/o leaks. Sealing fluid as an addition to the viton is Hylomar M.

Breather-4.jpg

Newton_Tank-Cap.jpg

Ready_To_Go.jpg

Thanks to @Engineer for showing what's possible!

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1