Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

General Question about Acerbis Tanks

eddylindenstein

This is what I call a solution for a proper tank cap and vent.

Tankumbau-5.jpg

Tankumbau-2.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

Tankumbau-5.jpg

Tankumbau-2.jpg

That looks so much better. 

9 hours ago, RobS said:

Good to know about the Camel side panels. I have those and love them. I don’t have a steering dampener so no worries there. I don’t like what y’all are saying about the venting and leaking problem. I’ve seen that procycle link and was encouraged by it, but not so much after your report. I wonder why they don’t make the tank so that it connects to the vent line from the bottom, like the stock tank. Do you think fitting the non-locking cap with the purple vent hose would fix the problems you described?

The locking/"vented" gas cap is the problem. The included cap and hose to canister works great, like @Rider 101 mentioned. I'm stuck with a tank bag, otherwise I'd be happy with that.

advgoats.com

12 minutes ago, random1781 said:

The locking/"vented" gas cap is the problem. The included cap and hose to canister works great, like @Rider 101 mentioned. I'm stuck with a tank bag, otherwise I'd be happy with that.

Thank you. I'll go with the standard cap and hose included with the Acerbis tank. I'm not worried about someone siphoning my gas, but I'll probably get a different color hose.

4 hours ago, random1781 said:

I use a Kriega tank bag which sits a little further back to clear the cap.

I have seen a pic in this forum of a 90° fitting on top of the cap then the hose connected to it.

It was very neat and low profile.

The OP was asked where he got it from but didn't respond.

Boonah.jpg

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

27 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

I have seen a pic in this forum of a 90° fitting on top of the cap then the hose connected to it.

Boonah.jpg

I have this tank Nelson Rigg tank bag https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/adventure/se-3060-hurricane-enduro-tank-bag-1-detail It's great and sits below the cap. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

Boonah.jpg

I think I read in another thread that he made it? There are half a dozen threads about this tank here so it's a bit tricky to track stuff down, but doing something similar is on my to-do list.

Normal tank bags don't really work for me. I'm short, so when I lean forward I crotch-check the bag and can't get my weight far enough forward, and that's with the stock tank. The Acerbis tank sits even higher. So I have this setup that looks ridiculous, but actually stays out of the way

PXL_20240209_201847181.jpg.d59189a578482f4292b4742277252e2c.jpg

• Like 2

advgoats.com

I missed

13 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Tankumbau-5.jpg

Tankumbau-2.jpg

This is fantastic, but it is a little bit beyond me to do right now. Curious how much that gas cap runs.

@mpatch thanks for that - I've been looking for something exactly like that and don't know how I missed it

advgoats.com

18 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I missed

This is fantastic, but it is a little bit beyond me to do right now. Curious how much that gas cap runs.

@mpatch thanks for that - I've been looking for something exactly like that and don't know how I missed it

It’s because you don’t ride a KTM anymore. 😂

The make all the cool Shet for them. 

• Like 1

i use this on the acerbis standard cap instead of the original hose to the canister.

Works, but you can smell the fuel 🙂

If the original hose wouldn't come off the cap everytime i fill up (or even sometimes during the ride) i would go with the orignal cap & hose to canister....

The seperate vent, mentioned above, looks like a good solution ! !

image.png.51a68cd234453645f095d8d880756df4.png

2 hours ago, Tom_R said:

i use this on the acerbis standard cap instead of the original hose to the canister.

Works, but you can smell the fuel 🙂

If the original hose wouldn't come off the cap everytime i fill up (or even sometimes during the ride) i would go with the orignal cap & hose to canister....

The seperate vent, mentioned above, looks like a good solution ! !

image.png.51a68cd234453645f095d8d880756df4.png

I found a few twists of safety wire keep the hose on the cap nipple (it's not really a barb). I have my hose on a check valve/swivel and then running all the way down below the swingarm - I could probably cut it off shorter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bruincounselor said:

....I have my hose on a check valve/swivel ....

Do you have a photo of this ? and maybe a link ? 🙃

I guess it's just a spinner: 

The Moose Racing Vent Hose Spinner prevents the hose from twisting during refueling which could cut off air to the fuel tank and lead to vapor lock.

I'll leave my hose long. The safety wire is the trick to keeping the hose on the cap.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 5:29 PM, mpatch said:

It’s because you don’t ride a KTM anymore. 😂

The make all the cool Shet for them. 

I'm going to ride this damn thing until I can either get all the cool stuff for or I get around to making it on my own!

• Haha 1

advgoats.com

@random1781 That fuel cap is available from Aircraft Spruce for $122 + shipping: 

Newton Aero 200 Fuel Cap Non-Locking 6 Bolt The all-metal construction of the Aero 200 Fuel Cap combines strength and lightweight, with a 6 hole flange...

Another option for a right angle vent hose is:

Dorman 47431 Soft Elbow Vacuum Tubing Connector Assortment, 4 Piece Universal Fit https://a.co/d/3fqjadg

8 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 That fuel cap is available from Aircraft Spruce for $122 + shipping: 

Newton Aero 200 Fuel Cap Non-Locking 6 Bolt The all-metal construction of the Aero 200 Fuel Cap combines strength and lightweight, with a 6 hole flange...

Another option for a right angle vent hose is:

Dorman 47431 Soft Elbow Vacuum Tubing Connector Assortment, 4 Piece Universal Fit https://a.co/d/3fqjadg

I didn't actually want to know how much it was because now I want that for my tank 😂

• Haha 1

advgoats.com

@random1781 Me too, but I am having a really difficult time with the price after only paying $280 for the tank itself. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

With it not being vented you’d need to put one in on the tank itself. I’m sure with all that space and a blank canvas, another pre existing bike, vented locking cap in this style is available. Maybe an endurance quick fill set up?🤔

On 2/15/2024 at 7:30 PM, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 Me too, but I am having a really difficult time with the price after only paying $280 for the tank itself. 

Yeah I know. This is just getting out of hand though. Here's stopping for a few minutes to refill our water...

PXL_20240219_175530587_MP.jpg.ff86b82d8d65def666fc6cfde9d112e4.jpg

At this point I'm probably halfway to the cost of that gas cap in evaporated gas.

I had never considered completely swapping out the cap before @Ede-DE mentioned it here. I'm going to start looking around to see what all is out there.

advgoats.com

33 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Yeah I know. This is just getting out of hand though. Here's stopping for a few minutes to refill our water...

PXL_20240219_175530587_MP.jpg.ff86b82d8d65def666fc6cfde9d112e4.jpg

At this point I'm probably halfway to the cost of that gas cap in evaporated gas.

I had never considered completely swapping out the cap before @Ede-DE mentioned it here. I'm going to start looking around to see what all is out there.

Ugh, that sucks. I'm just going to use the cap that it comes with that has the hose routed to the canister. My tank bag sits below the cap so no worries there. Oh, and I'll use this black hose instead of the purple one. 

Shop for Fuel and Air Intake Systems, like Tusk Fuel Line at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

Edited by RobS
typo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 What about using the stock cap with a 90 degree fitting for the vent tube?

"Now that I have the new cap I guess I'll just toss the old one."

-me

So now if I'm going to start modifying things, I might as well do it in a nice, clean way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

advgoats.com

Its always exciting working on a previously filled gas tank!  🔥🚭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1