Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mail in ECU Flashing $100 off sale sample Dyno charts


2 Wheel DynoWorks
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Supporting Vendor

We'll be adding the Tenere 700's to our fitment finder on 2wdw.com next week, along with our custom ECU flashing! While the Novel Coronavirus is still causing most countries around the world to be, more or less, shut down, our custom ECU flashing will be on sale for only $250 with free return shipping anywhere in the USA with the coupon code "covid19" on our site. Sale price applies to outsie of USA as well, but not the free return shipping. 

 

As we see more ECU's roll in, and our own test bike, we will be posting tons of dyno footage and videos in the coming weeks! The Tenere 700 has the same engine as the MT07. We have flashed hundreds, close to a thousand of these ECU's. 

 

Your engine makes around 63 hp to the wheel, stock.  Let's fix that. 

 

Here's the scoop with the Tenere 700's that we have seen/flashed so far!

 

All of the EU and AUS Tenere 700 ECU's that we have seen so far are IDENTICAL to EU MT-07's. The serial numbers, architecture, etc are completely unchanged! This is fantastic, because that means ALL of our custom mapping for every exhaust/intake system that we've developed over the past 6 years for the FZ/MT-07's are still PERFECTLY dialed in for these T7 bikes. The engines haven't changed one bit from the FZ/MT-07's, so the performance and throttle response improvements are IDENTICAL to that of the FZ/MT-07's.

 

As for the US/CAN ECU's that we've seen so far, the ECU serial number is a BW3-8591A-00, which was one that neither FTECU or ourselves had yet seen. Luckily, we've had a few sent in already from our customers up in Canada, and we've been able to decrypt the ECU's with FTECU and retrace the slightly modified circuitry/pathway architecture. The fuel and ignition mapping architecture is, amazingly, unchanged from the FZ/MT-07's as well! This means that, just like with the EU models, we can input our custom fuel and ignition mapping without issue. 

 

We have our own Tenere 700 being brought in by our local dealer for any further testing and flashing development that we need to perform for future exhaust/intake systems that are manufactured for these bikes. We anticipate that the Tenere 700 we'll have for R&D will arrive sometime at the end of this month or the start of June at the latest!

 

Because these engines and ECU's are essentially unchanged from the FZ/MT-07's, we already know exactly how these bikes will respond AND we've been able to prove those results anecdotally with the customers from the EU and Canada that have already utilized our ECU Flashing Service for these bikes! Here are some example graphs of what to expect with some of the exhaust systems. Keep in mind, these numbers/results are with street tires on. You WILL see lower numbers with knobby tires on a dyno roller due to additional drag and traction losses.

 

A few examples

 

Yoshimura R77 tune vs stock tune - An 8 hp increase! 

1039387572_YoshimuraR77Dyno.thumb.png.6310cb170bef85057d77594c5a63bce1.png

 

M4 slip on tune vs stock tune- 6 HP increase! 

2021920901_M4slipondyno.thumb.png.af9c8993a81901997d274edcba4bc4f8.png

 

Graves Exhaust Tune vs Stock tune A 9 hp increase!! 

201405717_GravesExhaustDyno.thumb.png.4ea69d6ee4e9649a28cb408ea72d9094.png

 

 

More importantly than raw power is our ability to remove the massively annoying Decel Fuel Cut feature that is still built into these ECU's for emissions compliance. This feature makes the on/off throttle transition extremely twitchy, which is NOT at all what you want on any modern motorcycle. Nothing is more annoying (and unsafe) than coming into a corner, rolling off the throttle, and having the front end dive while you're already initiating a lean into an apex! 

 

We also have the ability to lower the cooling fan temperatures, just like we do on the FZ/MT-07's! 215 degrees Fahrenheit is simply too hot for optimal engine life and performance, so we lower the cooling fan temperatures to 195 degrees Fahrenheit on these engines.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to add, @2 Wheel DynoWorks has the shipping and world wide shipping thing down! They have been the top dyno tuner on all of my other forums for years. Fast fast turn around. Often, in the USA if you ship them your ECU on Monday, you have it back by Friday or Saturday. Sometimes even sooner.  Their World wide shipping take s few days longer, as it takes a while for your ecu to get to the united states, but when they flash it, it usually gets back to you within 5 days. 

 

They are the best tuner I know. Their Dyno machines are always calibrated, and this is very important. And folks, NOBODY has flashed more MT07's/CP2 engines than @2 Wheel DynoWorks .  They are the BEST!  I would put them up against any other. 

 

The HP increase over stock is great, but they also make your engine run cooler, which makes it last longer. 

 

Getting an exhaust for your T7?  IF you get a tune/exhaust package from them, your exhaust price will be crazy low. Exhaust prices so low they cannot publish them online due to manufacturer agreements.  

 

I will be getting my personal exhaust and ECU flash from them as soon as I get my bike. Ill post the dyno numbers and make ya cry!  

 

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/

 

 

You can read more about their experience with the CP2 engine here 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

The Tenere 700 has been added to our website and the $100 off sale is still going! 

 

Go to our website, choose your bike and choose ECU Flash. Be sure to send us the Serial number that is listed on your ECU. 

 

For any questions, you can email us at 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com. We ship world wide every day! 

 

The benefits of better fueling , lower temps and more power are ready for your T7! 

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

What is the shipping cost to Uk if you can tell us.. I would be interested in this option but it depends how long it takes and at what cost... ?

Thank you,

Aleks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor
33 minutes ago, motoAT said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks What can I expect running a Full Akrapovic (with the dB killer IN) and a tune for 91 Octane?

An 8hp increase from stock at peak power, a MUCH smoother throttle transition AND cooler engine operating temperatures. Make sure you remove the stock intake snorkel as well!

  • Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor

They're rollin' in! These two came from a dealer in Montana that got their first shipment of Tenere 700's earlier this week 😁.

 

Our local dealer will be lending us a test bike as soon as their shipment arrives 👍

20200611_135552.jpg

  • Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

They're rollin' in! These two came from a dealer in Montana that got their first shipment of Tenere 700's earlier this week 😁.

 

Our local dealer will be lending us a test bike as soon as their shipment arrives 👍

20200611_135552.jpg

See that guys? Don't worry about your warranty, freaking Yamaha dealers are sending them ECU's!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

An 8hp increase from stock at peak power, a MUCH smoother throttle transition AND cooler engine operating temperatures. Make sure you remove the stock intake snorkel as well!

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Thanks for the response!

 

I have a few questions about the snorkel, airbox, filter relating to a ECU flash which others might be interested in as well:

1. So I need to get something like the DNA Stage 2 Airbox cover to delete the snorkel right? Or is there another way?

2. How will filters affect the performance? Will the tune/engine still run well whether I put in a high flow Cloth filter (like the DNA vs. a foam dirt filter? I would expect power to be a little reduced, but hopefully the engine would still be at a decent AFR.

3. How aggressive are your maps? (such as the 8 HP increase you mentioned). I'm sure everyone here wants to get 80k+ miles out of their yamaha adventure bike.

4. Fuel economy? I ride very heavy on the throttle, assuming the stock mapping gets 40-50 mpg (hopefully), how much should I expect that to change?

 

Thanks a lot for your insight!

image.thumb.png.242d2e646edaa62311f7cf666e0b176a.png

image.png.e443cfc3ff16c2f483ac60b852995826.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

I have to agree, 
To me, the Tenere 700 is an ADV bike 1st and foremost, not a racer/track tool (I've got one of those and am happy to put 93octane in it and ride it 3x a year).

 

I would like to keep the octane fuel requirements in check, I don't want to throw a connecting rod in the middle of nowhere, because I ran out of fuel and only old crappy 87 octane fuel is available to get me home. 


A foam filter may be needed as well, so good question on that as well. 

 

Tazmool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, motoAT said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Thanks for the response!

 

I have a few questions about the snorkel, airbox, filter relating to a ECU flash which others might be interested in as well:

1. So I need to get something like the DNA Stage 2 Airbox cover to delete the snorkel right? Or is there another way?

2. How will filters affect the performance? Will the tune/engine still run well whether I put in a high flow Cloth filter (like the DNA vs. a foam dirt filter? I would expect power to be a little reduced, but hopefully the engine would still be at a decent AFR.

3. How aggressive are your maps? (such as the 8 HP increase you mentioned). I'm sure everyone here wants to get 80k+ miles out of their yamaha adventure bike.

4. Fuel economy? I ride very heavy on the throttle, assuming the stock mapping gets 40-50 mpg (hopefully), how much should I expect that to change?

 

Thanks a lot for your insight!

 

 

1. NO! The stock airbox flows IDENTICALLY (once the snorkel is removed) to any of the aftermarket airbox lid options (DNA, MWR, etc). We've tested every brand name and one off design you can possibly imagine for these engines, and none of them actually improve performance over what simply removing the snorkel from the stock lid provides. The ONLY setup that actually improves performance over the stock airbox with the snorkel removed is a pod filter setup directly onto the throttle bodies OR the Hordpower intake. Both of these completely remove the stock airbox and provide 2-4hp increases respectively.

 

2. These bikes already run very lean for emissions compliance, so unrestricting the airbox with either a snorkel delete or aftermarket lid setup is NOT advised without proper mapping via an ECU flash. 

 

3. A fuel map being "aggressive" is an incorrect notion we really wish would die off. There are only two types of mapping: proper, optimal, fuel and ignition mapping, OR improper mapping. Proper mapping with optimal AFR targets and ignition timing parameters will only ever improve performance AND engine longevity, and that is exactly what you receive with our custom mapping. All of our fuel and ignition mapping is built specifically for each intake/exhaust system on the dyno to insure maximum performance AND reliability. 

 

4. You WILL see a slight drop in fuel economy simply due to the fact that the fuel injector cut on deceleration is disabled with our ECU flash. Instead of the fuel injectors shutting off like a light switch when you roll off the throttle (which causes the noticeable jerk/twitch that upsets the chassis) the injectors now ramp their duty cycle down gradually as engine RPM decreases.

 

We're always happy to help answer any questions any of your folks have about these engines, so never hesitate to tag us if we can assist!

  • Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Tazmool said:

I have to agree, 
To me, the Tenere 700 is an ADV bike 1st and foremost, not a racer/track tool (I've got one of those and am happy to put 93octane in it and ride it 3x a year).

 

I would like to keep the octane fuel requirements in check, I don't want to throw a connecting rod in the middle of nowhere, because I ran out of fuel and only old crappy 87 octane fuel is available to get me home. 


A foam filter may be needed as well, so good question on that as well. 

 

Tazmool

We've seen time and time again on the dyno that these engines do NOT like to operate on 87 octane under heavy load/high temperatures anyway. After a few full throttle passes, the power starts to drop dramatically as engine temperatures increase and heat soak sets in. You'll experience this on AND off road after a couple hours of riding, or SOONER, if it is a particularly warm day and you're riding aggressively. We HIGHLY recommend only ever using premium (91-93) pump gas in these engines, even in completely stock configuration. You can find 91 virtually anywhere that you can find 87, so it's just a non-issue, honestly.

 

Again, foam filters will NOT improve performance UNLESS you are removing the airbox entirely and adding pod filters directly to the throttle bodies. We have mapping for this configuration and most major exhaust system designs if you choose to go that route! The pod filters are worth an extra 2hp over the stock airbox with the snorkel removed, and the Hordpower intake is worth an extra 4hp.

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only concern? How fast can we make the mail man run so I don't have my bike down too long. Haha

 

And to elaborate on the Fuel thing...you should want to run Premium fuel. This motor is 11.5:1 which falls under "high compression." What 2WDW is talking about is called Detonation. For those of you that don't know, that will kill a motor so fast the KTM 790 would be jealous. It is an occurrence that gets rapidly worse as an engine gets hotter during load. The fuel itself doesn't make power. It simply does a job dictated by the components and tuning. You can only detune so much and at this compression level the parts are what is demanding the "better" fuel.

Edited by sbeck09
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

Thats good to know regarding the octane requirements of the engine, 
I've done my own ecu flash and tuning in the past (B-King, monster machine) and I did not blow up my engine, but it went from light touring ok on 87 to needing 91-93 octane after the tune (you could limp the bike home on 87, but it would not even lift the front wheel with out complaining loudly on 87). 

 

Tuning the bike did take a long time too (I went with the wide band logger and tuning iterations with every flash, it was fun to do see and feel the power improvements at every tune, but it did take the better part of a summer to get spot on.  It was a lot of work to get a proper a/f reading at all throttle openings at all rpm, all loads, especially on a powerful bike, so I can appreciate the work put in to get a proper tune on an engine ) 

 

If the T7 is stuck with 91, I guess I can live with that.  

 

Question regarding air filters, 
If the bike is tuned for say no snorkel, full exhaust, no db-killers, stock air filter. 
If you were to swap in a foam filter for a particular ride or event (say very dusty conditions, off road group rides etc) would that have any serious negative effects on the tune/engine/performance?    

 

Tazmool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Thanks for all of the information.

 

One last question, I promise! If I choose to run a foam filter when I am doing more dusty rides, then on street rides, switch back to a cloth type or OEM type filter, will the engine tune not run properly if the map is designed for 1 vs. the other.

 

Ok, really last question: What is the turn around time right now? I plan on sending you my ECU sometime this coming week!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
35 minutes ago, motoAT said:

@2 Wheel DynoWorks Thanks for all of the information.

 

One last question, I promise! If I choose to run a foam filter when I am doing more dusty rides, then on street rides, switch back to a cloth type or OEM type filter, will the engine tune not run properly if the map is designed for 1 vs. the other.

 

Ok, really last question: What is the turn around time right now? I plan on sending you my ECU sometime this coming week!

Nope! As long as you're using the stock airbox WITHOUT the snorkel, the filter material itself won't matter. 

 

We almost always flash and return ship all ECU's the same day that we receive them! We will be trackside for a good chunk of next week, so there may be a 1-2 day delay that isn't normally present, but that's it!

 

-2WDW

  • Like 2

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I just got my ECU installed and went for a ride. It feels F***ing amazing. I highly recommend sending your ECU to @2 Wheel DynoWorks for a flash. I am running a full exhaust system and intake snorkel removed. More power and torque everywhere, throttle is buttery smooth, on-off throttle is seamless. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding aftermarket exhausts on the T7, are you doing any actual dyno testing of specific exhaust setups on a T7?  Or are you applying known flow characteristics for various exhausts to your base ECU map for the T7?

 

Your webpage for the T7 mail in service lists all the aftermarket brands you support, but there are brands listed that aren't even offering exhausts for the T7 currently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird, i read that they tuned the bike for more low end torque and it sure felt like it when compared to the FZ-07 I owned. 

 

How long is this sale going on? Would seriously consider it when my bike shows up in a month or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Toei said:

Regarding aftermarket exhausts on the T7, are you doing any actual dyno testing of specific exhaust setups on a T7?  Or are you applying known flow characteristics for various exhausts to your base ECU map for the T7?

 

Your webpage for the T7 mail in service lists all the aftermarket brands you support, but there are brands listed that aren't even offering exhausts for the T7 currently.  

Both! So far, all of the dyno testing we've done has confirmed exactly what we suspected to see in terms of necessary ignition and fuel mapping demands from the thousands of FZ/MT-07 and XSR700's that we've flashed/tuned at our shop. We'll be posting dyno results shortly! 

 

The differences are even more dramatic than the previous models that utilized these engines, as the stock mapping is far worse on these models than it was for the FZ/MT-07 and XSR700's.

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Tooph said:

Weird, i read that they tuned the bike for more low end torque and it sure felt like it when compared to the FZ-07 I owned. 

 

How long is this sale going on? Would seriously consider it when my bike shows up in a month or two.

The throttle response and roll-on torque improvements are nuts! The "covid19" coupon will be active until the world starts going back to "normal"...so I wouldn't worry about missing out within the next 30-60 days.

2wheellogo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

Both! So far, all of the dyno testing we've done has confirmed exactly what we suspected to see in terms of necessary ignition and fuel mapping demands from the thousands of FZ/MT-07 and XSR700's that we've flashed/tuned at our shop. We'll be posting dyno results shortly! 

 

The differences are even more dramatic than the previous models that utilized these engines, as the stock mapping is far worse on these models than it was for the FZ/MT-07 and XSR700's.

Thanks.  I don't think I'd be alone in saying that it would be nice to see a running list of the specific setups you've dyno tested on the T7 (not extrapolated from MT07/XSR).   With photos would be even cooler!  😆

 

You guys did a flash for a Leo Vince underbody full exhaust on an XSR700 for me, and while the results were good they were not optimal (off-throttle popping).  So I'm going into this with a little more caution this time around.  

 

I had wondered if I received a map tuned for a standard Leo Vince MT07 side exhaust, which has a very different silencer body and longer header than the underbody.  I've since sold the bike. 

Edited by Toei
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I plan on having a 2WDW reflash after I settle on a header.  Do you see any performance differences between the Akropovic and the Arrow headers?  A $300 performance difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.