Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

Hi all,

Rode to work this morning at 6-7C with the Yamaha heated grips on full blast for 40mins and they're nowhere near as warm as the Oxford Premium Hot grips Sports ones. I have the latter fitted on my "winter hack" (Aprilia Pegaso Trail - which is an awesome bike BTW). So I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, although they look much better than the Oxford ones as no big controller unit bolted to the mirror mounts. I could have ridden much further and been OK for a while, but they don't warm your hands as much as the Oxford ones, which get too hot on full blast !

To be fair, when it gets all salty and really cold, the Tenere will be safely tucked away. 

But thought I'd share if anyone is thinking about using the Yamaha ones for a sub-zero trip. I would use the Oxford ones if I was doing that.

Rich

• Like 3

Hoi,

did you refer to the manual and programmed the grips to big motorbike? Out of the box they may fit for scooters, save battery and generator and only heat up to low temperatures.

I am using the Yamaha OEM heated grips at my XSR, without hand protectors. And even in the wind, my hands (in gloves) get pretty warm or hot.

Give them a try, BR

hombacher

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hombacher said:

Hoi,

did you refer to the manual and programmed the grips to big motorbike? Out of the box they may fit for scooters, save battery and generator and only heat up to low temperatures.

I am using the Yamaha OEM heated grips at my XSR, without hand protectors. And even in the wind, my hands (in gloves) get pretty warm or hot.

Give them a try, BR

hombacher

I didn't know there was a manual for the Yamaha grips. The dealer fitted them. How do you programme them??

Cheers

Rich

36 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

I didn't know there was a manual for the Yamaha grips. The dealer fitted them. How do you programme them??

Cheers

Rich

Good call Hombacher.

I just found this..

I've got the official Yamaha heated grips on my XSR. Granted they look nice and low profile but does anyone else who has them find that they are

Looks like I can play with the settings. I'll adjust to the correct CC and see how I get on.

I may then need to edit the title of the thread !!!

Thanks again

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

• Rich TT changed the title to Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Jepp, there is a picture of the Yamaha manual, I could not give a better link. Keep us informed.

I had Yamaha heated grips on a 900 tracer and they were excellent, you could adjust them for each of the 3 settings, if you scroll the the settings on the clocks I bet there’s options there.

• Premium Member

Remember from MT-10 forum that there was something on Yamaha heated grips have to be set-up to work warmer. And very early old stock ones had half rotation heating elements but the newer ones have full wrap round rotation heating elements and if they are set up right (resistor set or something) for the bigger bikes (not scooter setting) they are reported as toasty warm in all conditions. Hope that that helps a bit.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Good call Hombacher.

I just found this..

I've got the official Yamaha heated grips on my XSR. Granted they look nice and low profile but does anyone else who has them find that they are

Looks like I can play with the settings. I'll adjust to the correct CC and see how I get on.

I may then need to edit the title of the thread !!!

Thanks again

Rich

I look forward to your update.

cheers

-Bob

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I had Yamaha ones on My tracer and could set your hands on fire but there is a vid on YT where someone tests the heat from them on the t7 against Oxford and the Oxford showed to be a fair bit warmer. 

However, I've had Oxford on other bikes and some were good others not so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yammybound88 said:

I look forward to your update.

cheers

-Bob

So, just set for the maximum cc. Hold down for 5 secs and get max 3 lights, leave for 5 secs then set heating and my hands were roasting on the way home!! 

Problem solved and they are good and look great!

I'm glad I posted though as if anyone else has them fitted by the dealer, the same thing might happen as it's not at all obvious unless you've read the instructions whilst fitting.

Thanks everyone.

Rich

• Like 5

They work good either one... Only really effective if palm material is thin(ish) vs thick/padded/insulated, etc....

Same goes for heated gear- always wear it as the first layer after underwear and t-shirt...

Yamaha Tracer900(These OEM grips show up on dashboard with settings adjustment via menu, not the universal ones) heated grips will make Satan cry uncle...

Edited by norcal616
  • Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

So, just set for the maximum cc. Hold down for 5 secs and get max 3 lights, leave for 5 secs then set heating and my hands were roasting on the way home!! 

Problem solved and they are good and look great!

I'm glad I posted though as if anyone else has them fitted by the dealer, the same thing might happen as it's not at all obvious unless you've read the instructions whilst fitting.

Thanks everyone.

Rich

Good stuff. Knew there was something about setting bike cc size.... Toasty warm ☺️ 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gents could someone do me a favour please.

I have oxfords on but i find the thickness of them to be too much. Im stretching hands with winter gloves on and straining my thumbs as a result. The circumference of the oxfords is 111mm.

Id just like if anyone with the oem heated grips to measure the circumference. They might help my issue along with thinner lined palms in gloves.

Thanks

Wes

Edited by JohnnyDrama

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Yamaha ones...Nice and toasty! 

I will measure them tomorrow ^👍

Edited by Dibles

On 10/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Rich TT said:

....... The dealer fitted them........

Well they did a sh!t job then. I'm assuming they are a Yamaha dealer (fitting Yamaha parts to a Yamaha) so they should have fitted them properly. You should talk to them. At the very least they will know they missed something, maybe even talk to Yamaha in your country, i'm sure they would want to know if things like this are being missed by their dealers.

You shouldn't have had to do anything but turn them on after them being fitted by the dealer.

Happy riding,

Shane

On 11/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, shaneygrog said:

Well they did a sh!t job then. I'm assuming they are a Yamaha dealer (fitting Yamaha parts to a Yamaha) so they should have fitted them properly. You should talk to them. At the very least they will know they missed something, maybe even talk to Yamaha in your country, i'm sure they would want to know if things like this are being missed by their dealers.

You shouldn't have had to do anything but turn them on after them being fitted by the dealer.

Happy riding,

Shane

I think that's a bit harsh to be honest. Overall the dealers have been brilliant from fast tracking my bike through to doing a great job on advice and other fitting etc. The only thing they did wrong was not pass on the instructions from the heated grips. I soon worked that out.

So all good in the end.

I still say the Oxford grips get much hotter, so for sub zero stuff they're better.

• Like 1

Today, I bought Oxford heated grips and what's the best, easiest way to install the hot grips switch on Tenere 700 using metal bracket included in the package? 

WP_20191109_16_47_31_Pro.jpg

The controller is not very nice to place directly on the handlebars.  I would personally place it so that it is virtually invisible.  (So somewhere in the cockpit.)  Do you want to place a photo when everything is mounted?

Nick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NickT7 said:

The controller is not very nice to place directly on the handlebars.  I would personally place it so that it is virtually invisible.  (So somewhere in the cockpit.)  Do you want to place a photo when everything is mounted?

Nick

I think, it would be handy to have it close to the left hand. I can work it out on my own but before that I would like to know how do you install the controller for Oxford heated grips. I'm not going to install the heated grips very soon, winter is long, and for the wintertime I use my old DR650, it's lighter.  I can post a photo, when it's done.

• Like 2

Here's the original grip manual for everyone's reference (including the setting for bike type). Mine are nice and toasty.

Screenshot_20191114-171015~2.png

One note: mine start of at 100% at the first button press and go to a lower setting every next press - which is not in line with the manual. 

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 9

Correct, they start with all three, the other way round than described in the manual.

Remembers me during riding through the exit of a pit lane, I touched the heated grips button with the stiffer racing gloves. The next meters I was wondering why my hands were bowling, due the summer heat, due the inner excitement for track riding?

In the summer, under brightest sun, it takes some minutes to realize that the heated grips are on and the LEDs as well burning...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hombacher said:

Correct, they start with all three, the other way round than described in the manual.

Remembers me during riding through the exit of a pit lane, I touched the heated grips button with the stiffer racing gloves. The next meters I was wondering why my hands were bowling, due the summer heat, due the inner excitement for track riding?

In the summer, under brightest sun, it takes some minutes to realize that the heated grips are on and the LEDs as well burning...

Do they start with the bike or you have to press the start button first and they are on max setting?

You need to turn them on every time you turn the bike on (from off, they stay on even when the bike is not running as long as the key is in the on/ignition position). When you press the button, they start at 100% (3 LEDs) and with the next pressess go to 2 and 1 and then cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, slawmir said:

Today, I bought Oxford heated grips and what's the best, easiest way to install the hot grips switch on Tenere 700 using metal bracket included in the package? 

WP_20191109_16_47_31_Pro.jpg

I'm about to order these today, did you manage to fit them on the bike... Was wondering how they look. 

Did you have to trim them down or are they fitting nicely? 

I presume they are 132mm long. 

2 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I'm about to order these today, did you manage to fit them on the bike... Was wondering how they look. 

Did you have to trim them down or are they fitting nicely? 

I presume they are 132mm long. 

They are not installed on bike yet. You are right, they are 132 mm long and should fit perfectly. I assume, it won't be necessary to trim them down.