Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

On 9/12/2020 at 12:36 PM, whisperquiet said:

It is the connector I circled in light blue.   The red/yellow wire is hot and the brown wire is ground.

4623301C-C62B-4932-9EEC-9C15AE1A7097.jpeg

Is that a 3- pin connector?  Can't quite tell from the pic.

55 minutes ago, A A Ron said:

My Koso Apollo heated grips and Sumitomo connectors just arrived, and I have similar questions. 

I think I was told that the Yamaha connector only has pins in two of the three spots.  

I saw a video where where a guy used the right side connector for OEM heated grip install.  Just google "Yamaha Tenere 700 where to connect heated grips."   I assume he was following Yammy instructions.  I think I'll pull the auxiliary fuses to confirm the amp rating for the right side connector. 

I hope to tackle the job this weekend, and I will report back.  I really don't know what I am talking about yet. 🙂

Nice, we need someone to tackle this and write up a tech report so I can follow it.  Be brave and do it before me!! haha.

2 hours ago, A A Ron said:

My Koso Apollo heated grips and Sumitomo connectors just arrived, and I have similar questions. 

I think I was told that the Yamaha connector only has pins in two of the three spots.  

I saw a video where where a guy used the right side connector for OEM heated grip install.  Just google "Yamaha Tenere 700 where to connect heated grips."   I assume he was following Yammy instructions.  I think I'll pull the auxiliary fuses to confirm the amp rating for the right side connector. 

I hope to tackle the job this weekend, and I will report back.  I really don't know what I am talking about yet. 🙂

Haha, right on. I may dive into this one this weekend as well then we can compare notes and enlighten others 🙂

7 hours ago, A A Ron said:

Is that a 3- pin connector?  Can't quite tell from the pic.

Yes, it is....

8 hours ago, A A Ron said:

Can you post some pics of the grip material? How’s the softness, tackiness?

12 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Can you post some pics of the grip material? How’s the softness, tackiness?

Sure but it won't be until Saturday

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Yes, it is....

Thanks!  And why use the connector on the left side rather than right side of the bike?  Or does it not matter?  In the pic below lifted from a link in an earlier post in this thread, the "92" circuit appears a bit different than the "93" circuit.  They both show a relay, but the other component is not the same (I'm an electrical idiot).

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.jpeg.1cf065cb9ce2bb0b6d494715de12af7b.jpeg

I used the left because it worked out better when routing the wiring from my Bikemaster heated grips......either connector would work.

I posted a picture of the connector cable for the OEM heated grips earlier (US) with part number:    BS2-F62B0-V0-00

This cable will NOT work on the T7.  The T7 has a three pin connector.  This part is a two pin connector.  Looks like I'm going to end up having to run it directly to the battery.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rhicks said:

I posted a picture of the connector cable for the OEM heated grips earlier (US) with part number:    BS2-F62B0-V0-00

This cable will NOT work on the T7.  The T7 has a three pin connector.  This part is a two pin connector.  Looks like I'm going to end up having to run it directly to the battery.

Do you mean that  BS2-F62B0-V0-00 only has pins in two of three pin slots, or that is truly only a 2-pin connector?

Maybe you need this:   

BC6-H253L-00-00-CONNECTOR-CABLE-HEATED-G

Heated Grips Connector Cable - For your Yamaha Model Name

8 hours ago, A A Ron said:

Do you mean that  BS2-F62B0-V0-00 only has pins in two of three pin slots, or that is truly only a 2-pin connector?

Maybe you need this:   

BC6-H253L-00-00-CONNECTOR-CABLE-HEATED-G

Heated Grips Connector Cable - For your Yamaha Model Name

The connector itself is a different size.   It *looks* correct in published pictures (not that they are very good angles) but you can't physically connect it to the T7 connector.    BC6-H253L-00-00 would be the correct one but shipping to the US is just way too much.  

IMG_5477.jpg

Has anyone with the OEM heated grips had the 'insert' containing the button and LEDs lifting at each end?  I assume it's a flat piece of plastic that doesn't like being wrapped around a curved handlebar... Any suggestions on how to stick them down?

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, Johnnyboxer said:

I have had it & complained to dealer this week and they glued it down

Being used to BMW’s grips I find the whole Yamaha grips a bit crap 

...must be the same Johnnyboxer as on ukgser.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnnyboxer said:

I have had it & complained to dealer this week and they glued it down

Being used to BMW’s grips I find the whole Yamaha grips a bit crap 

Do people think Superglue?

Hi All,  I have just completed my install of  Genuine Yamaha heated grips using connector cable and spacers for Barkbusters.  Took me a bit over 3 hours to complete wiring and getting everything back together.  I didnt cut spacers rather moved controls and such on throttle side to avoid cutting spacers etc. If you dont,  the throttle will bind on the barkbuster bar end weight.  All good and happy with the heat with a lighter set of gloves on. Seem to be plenty hot enough for me,  but yet to test on a ride.

Cheers. 

On 9/17/2020 at 5:39 AM, Alan M said:

Instead of cutting the spacer why don't you just move the switchgear and throttle slide up the bar slightly, they're easily moved by slackening a few screws.

Thats exactly what I did and it works, Thanks for the tip.👍

On 9/13/2020 at 7:12 AM, A A Ron said:

I also ordered a Sumitomo 3 pin connector that mates to the heated grip accessory plug on the bike's wiring harness. 

I'm ordering the yamaha oem grips (https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/universal-grip-heaters) and spacers (https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/grip-spacer-t7) but I was hoping you could share a link for the above-mentioned connector? I'm fine cutting the grip wiring and soldering in the connector, but I'd rather not cut the bike's factory wiring at all.

Thanks!
Nathan in Oregon, USA

8 hours ago, OU812 said:

Wow 5 pages long and a Hotter topic than 790 vs Tenere... Can't wait for a oil thread 🧐

Or tire thread.🤣

• Haha 2

Just got my sumitomo plug in the mail today. Just waiting on my Oxford grips and a powerlet socket for the right side port. It’ll wire directly to the battery for charging and heated vest power. 

I see on the web that the oxford grip for premium adventure show 2 different lenght. Is it for left/right dimension or you can cut down length to 122mm from 132mm ??

On 10/22/2019 at 5:39 PM, Rich TT said:

So, just set for the maximum cc. Hold down for 5 secs and get max 3 lights, leave for 5 secs then set heating and my hands were roasting on the way home!! 

Problem solved and they are good and look great!

I'm glad I posted though as if anyone else has them fitted by the dealer, the same thing might happen as it's not at all obvious unless you've read the instructions whilst fitting.

Thanks everyone.

Rich

Rich,

Do you need to do this every time you use them or do they remember your choice?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

Rich,

Do you need to do this every time you use them or do they remember your choice?

Thanks

It remembers it once you've set them up, so only need to do it once.

Cheers

Rich