Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

4 hours ago, beater_bimmer said:

Oddly enough, I did that in a variety of combinations and also confirmed keyed 12V power to the plug but it never works. This was with Koso Apollo grips. Ended up just wiring to the battery and they fired right up.

Using the sumitomo switch would obviously be a better config but oh well...

Right side? 

Very weird.  I'm running Koso Apollo on sumimoto connector just fine. 

Yes, right side.  I'll try it again this weekend I supposed. Thanks!

Edited by beater_bimmer

Just tested my Koso heated grips, great so far. 
Easiest install ever! (I’ve dozens on sleds, a couple bikes) 

They begin on “HI” as it should be, toggle down as you warm up.

I was impressed with Koso quality on my RZ350 EGT gage, and also the tach for my Rocket III Touring.

The grips appear to be similar good quality. 

59672FD5-F677-402F-B7F9-55910D0E8148.jpeg

F39F0EFE-472D-4999-8B59-459B57604F4E.jpeg

AD571194-4D9C-44F0-A973-E65FEF7AC505.jpeg

B32F9FA5-C7DD-4898-B0D6-7F21DDA7B253.jpeg

1 hour ago, BLZ2DWL said:

Are you sure you have full throttle range of movement? 

I only use about 1/2......😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed my OEM YAM grips. I took off the tank to route the wires with all the others because I am OCD. Anyhow, recommend you get the spacers. Here is the part # BW3-F6021-V0-00.  Not sure why YAM does not stock 130... seems strange. Also be nice to have some off road heated grip options. Remember to get some OEM grip glue. The kit lacks this unfortunately. Lastly remember to program the grips to 600> cc. Hold the power down for 5 sec the tap until all three lights are showing. Hands off for 5 sec and you are set.

B939CBEB-888F-4ED9-88AA-DBEF8CDE2A08.jpeg

8CDB40AB-B0B8-42D9-AE88-143B57BA1E2A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd throw in my thoughts on the Yamaha heated grips. I installed them this week and weather in Dublin is about 4-6 degC for the commute. I bought the OEM ones because they look great, easy to install, and I didn't think they could be that bad. Well I really think they are. I measured the heat on the grip surface after being on max for 20 minutes and it read 37-38 degC. Not completely pointless, but even with gloves off they barely seem warm. I'll probably get Barkbuster Blizzards to go over the top so I can ride with summer gloves.

(I have set them to >600cc setting; I am wearing winter gloves) 

Hmm mine get very warm. Cold frosty day and turned then down once.

had them on a few bikes and no complaints 

On 7/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, 2RideTheGlobe said:

Just an fyi for those (at least in the US) following this thread and installing heated grips, that might be wondering which connector to plug into...

As with the Euro models, there are two 3-pin accessory connectors. BOTH are wired through the same 10 amp fuse (the #4 Accessory fuse in the block). So it doesn't really matter which one you plug into. Yamaha intended the one behind the left panel to be for the grips, and the one behind the right panel to be for the driving lights. Both have two positive wires and one ground wire, because the Yamaha grips and driving lights use relays (according to the wiring schematic at the end of the Service Manual). 

There is also two 2-pin Auxiliary connectors shown in the schematic. These are wired to the #5 Auxiliary fuse in the block. (Might be more appropriate for your GPS or other electronic device which wouldn't be protected using a 10A fuse). 

Can anyone tell me if the 3-pin connectors mentioned above are switched (only on with the ignition) or unswitched (always on)?  I don't want to rely solely on the auto-off feature of the Yamaha grips

Thx.

10 minutes ago, Leojb said:

Can anyone tell me if the 3-pin connectors mentioned above are switched (only on with the ignition) or unswitched (always on)?  I don't want to rely solely on the auto-off feature of the Yamaha grips

Thx.

Yes, they are switched (only on with the ignition). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just a quick question. On the T7 there are two 3-pin plugs, one on each side fairing, to connect additional electrical equipment correct? If yes what type of fuse to each line? If i remember correctly the Oxford grips work on a 10A fuse. Do both lines have sufficient fuses and wire thickness to support the grips and any additional equipment (i.e. oxford grips and a USB charger)? 

I installed my Yamaha OEM grips yesterday.  Connected to the three-prong Sumitomo plug on the left side.  Programmed for >600cc.  There is a temperature difference between the low and medium setting (as there should be), but not between medium and high.  I can tell absolutely no difference between medium and high and it even seems that medium might be a little warmer than high.  Has anyone else come across this problem?

Edited by KennethO

4 hours ago, NvNick said:

Is the diameter of all of these heated grips bigger than oem plain grip ? 

The diameter of the Oxford Adventure Heated grips is 1.35" per the manufacturer. They feel bigger than stock grips, but I've never actually measured.

I just received the Yamaha heated grips connector cable and the Oxford Premium Adventure heated grips. I thought it would be plug and play but it turns out that the Oxford controller has a Tamiya type connector and the Yamaha connector cable has a different type (red/yellow connector see image). Does anyone know if I can simply swap the red connector that's on the Yamaha cable to a Tamiya one so I can still plug the Yamaha connector cable straight into the bike (available cable for heated grips under side panel) without mounting the Oxford cable to the battery? Or is it better to swap the two golden rings (Oxford cable that connect directly to the battery) with a 3 pin sumitomo connector. Not sure if I'm making myself clear at all haha but hopefully the pictures will help. Thanks!

IMG_8309.jpg

IMG_8307.jpg

IMG_8305.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg

Edited by el geffe

On 12/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, Stefos said:

Hi everyone, just a quick question. On the T7 there are two 3-pin plugs, one on each side fairing, to connect additional electrical equipment correct? If yes what type of fuse to each line? If i remember correctly the Oxford grips work on a 10A fuse. Do both lines have sufficient fuses and wire thickness to support the grips and any additional equipment (i.e. oxford grips and a USB charger)? 

Hi, anyone knows the answer to the above question? If yes, what is the number and how big is the fuse in each case? For the people that connected the Oxford heated grips did they used the supplied 10A fuse or used the bikes fused line? Nevermind, see post below

Edited by Stefos

On 12/13/2020 at 8:46 PM, Marklar said:

Hi X Plane - Appreciate the thoughtful response and explanation on phone voltage and amperage. However, I have to take a little issue with your explanation on the left vs. right side wiring, as stated in your PS, because it's not what I found to be true on my bike (at least not on my U.S. bike...I have no idea if there are differences in this wiring on T7s sold in other markets). There is an unused, unsealed switched 2 amp power supply on the right hand side ready and waiting from the factory. I simply wired my USB charger with the plug that fits into what is already there, and it works a treat! I wired my heated grips into the existing sealed 3 prong Sumitomo plug on the same side. 

The pasted post below is from BMRT7 and provides an excellent explanation of the discussed wiring, and is exactly what I found "under the hood" on my bike (it is taken from the thread named "GPS, which connector"): 

This is incorrect.

There are 4 total switched connectors on this bike. (2) 3 pin connectors and (2) 2 pin connectors. On the right side there is a 2 pin and a 3 pin.

3 pin sealed sumitumo connectors are below. One on each side of bike. One meant for factory heated grips and one meant for factory fog lights:

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.thumb.jpeg.b0c162724cbc3812be210663517d4ed2.jpeg

BOTH of these plugs share the same fuse and it’s a 10 amp located under the seat. These are labeled accessory. 

Then there are two unsealed 2 pin connectors, again one on each side of bike. On the ride side there is nothing connected. On the left side, it goes to the factory cig plug.

F4366191-61CD-4955-969A-3411F52183CD.jpeg

These are also BOTH wired to the same fuse. It is only a 2 amp fuse. Located under the seat and labeled Aux.

Edit: All that to say, use the 2 pin connector on the right side of the bike.

Edited August 31 by BMRT7

I found what i was looking for on this post. I leave it here for everyone's reference. 

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Yam grips, provided they're available. I read that I need the spacers, so I'll order those too. Do I need to order the wiring connector separately, or does it come with the grips?

21 minutes ago, Moto said:

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the Yam grips, provided they're available. I read that I need the spacers, so I'll order those too. Do I need to order the wiring connector separately, or does it come with the grips?

the Universal heated grips come with a connector with leads to the battery. If you want to connect with the lead to the switched power under the side panels, you’ll need to buy that Harness separately.

Edited by Vtamb81

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Moto said:

@Moto This might be useful while you're waiting on the spacers to arrive,  especially since most sources have them backordered.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, concours said:

Just tested my Koso heated grips, great so far. 
Easiest install ever! (I’ve dozens on sleds, a couple bikes) 

They begin on “HI” as it should be, toggle down as you warm up.

I was impressed with Koso quality on my RZ350 EGT gage, and also the tach for my Rocket III Touring.

The grips appear to be similar good quality. 

59672FD5-F677-402F-B7F9-55910D0E8148.jpeg

F39F0EFE-472D-4999-8B59-459B57604F4E.jpeg

AD571194-4D9C-44F0-A973-E65FEF7AC505.jpeg

B32F9FA5-C7DD-4898-B0D6-7F21DDA7B253.jpeg

Hey Concours, 

Can you tell us the part number on your Koso grips? I think I’m gonna go that route and just want to make sure I get the correct grips.  

thank you, 

Huero

6 hours ago, Huero said:

Hey Concours, 

Can you tell us the part number on your Koso grips? I think I’m gonna go that route and just want to make sure I get the correct grips.  

thank you, 

Huero

B913A997-DC02-4B1B-A633-5E96C7C2FF4B.jpeg

• Like 1