Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

12 minutes ago, Huero said:

Thank you sir.  Are you happy with the grips performance?

Thanks, 

Jared

I am. I rode at 35F and they kept my hands warm.

Make sure you get proper gloves. All modern snowmobile gloves have less insulation on the inside of the fingers & palm, while the backside is generously insulated. 
https://www.denniskirk.com/klim/black-elite-gloves.p3577036.prd/3577036L.sku?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImOnF0Z_Z7gIVIxxlCh2vXwP0EAQYAiABEgIdCvD_BwE

I installed the original Yamaha heated grips, and they are pretty warm with the 3 settings! Even at 40 degree F - 5 degree C, I only use the middle setting; i.e. 2 lights lit up.

Be aware that they must be "programmed" after installing them in order for the top strength to be at its maximum. There is 3 different settings to choose from. The kit comes with cables that connects straight to the battery, but a better solution is to order the additional cable loom in order to connect the heated grips to one of the two three prong connecting plugs located under the front painted side panels on the Ténéré 700, then the heated grips are switched off when you turn off the ignition key, if not the grips can stay on for up to 2 hours.

Also, getting the additional wire loom saves you hours of work time. If you want to route the cable back to the battery correctly with no chance of chafing, you need to remove a total of 6 panels, lift up the gas tank, remove the battery and a bracket or two... vs. one panel!

Absolutely love the grips! They make cold weather riding comfortable, as long as you put enough layers of clothing on. 🙂 

Heated Grips ii.jpg

Edited by orbsurfer
  • Like 2

Thats exactly how I installed mine and cant fault them at all. Plenty warm enough with no complaints.👍

5 hours ago, orbsurfer said:

I installed the original Yamaha heated grips, and they are pretty warm with the 3 settings! Even at 40 degree F - 5 degree C, I only use the middle setting; i.e. 2 lights lit up.

Be aware that they must be "programmed" after installing them in order for the top strength to be at its maximum. There is 3 different settings to choose from. The kit comes with cables that connects straight to the battery, but a better solution is to order the additional cable loom in order to connect the heated grips to one of the two three prong connecting plugs located under the front painted side panels on the Ténéré 700, then the heated grips are switched off when you turn off the ignition key, if not the grips can stay on for up to 2 hours.

Also, getting the additional wire loom saves you hours of work time. If you want to route the cable back to the battery correctly with no chance of chafing, you need to remove a total of 6 panels, lift up the gas tank, remove the battery and a bracket or two... vs. one panel!

Absolutely love the grips! They make cold weather riding comfortable, as long as you put enough layers of clothing on. 🙂 

Video of installation of the heated grips.

Are you in the US?  If so what part #'s did you use for the grips, pigtail, & where did you get them from?

Yes, located in the Deep South in the US.

Part #: BC6-H253L-00 (Heated Grips Connector Cable)

Ha, Ha! I tried to order the "Heated Grips Connector Cable" from the dealer when I ordered the heated grips + some other parts, but when I picked up the parts, a couple of months later..., he had been overly helpful by informing me that he did not order the connector cable since I did not need it. Technically he was correct...

So I just ordered the cable loom from Italy through eBay from a place called the yamahastore. Higher shipping cost vs. local dealer, but delivered in less than a week! Fast, regular shipping and unreal tracking through DHL!

Part #: YME-F2960-00-KIT 

This is the complete kit for the Ténéré 700 that comes with Heated Grips, Connector Cable and Grip Extensions.

• 4 weeks later...

The part numbers I ordered received from the Yamaha dealer here in the US were: B67-H29A0-V0 (Universal Grip Warmers) + BW3-F6021-V0 (Heated Grip Spacers), but there are different part numbers for the Yamaha Heated Grips.

The Accessory Catalogue in Australia have YME-F2960-00 for the Universal Heated Grips...

For some reason the plug and play grips aren’t available in the USA, nor is the pigtail you need to make the universal ones plug into the factory accessory plug. 
You have a few choices, order from Europe and get hammered on shipping, make the required pigtail with a Sumitomo plug, cut the factory plug off the bike and wire them up or  hook them up directly to the battery. 

Edited by mpatch

On 2/9/2021 at 11:06 PM, orbsurfer said:

Heated Grips ii.jpg

I have tried this programming repeatedly. Today I went out in sunny, 6 degrees C weather with my ordinary leather gloves. Just a thickish leather palm - no insulation. All I got, on max setting, was a faint warmth and my hands were still cold. I even started fiddling with the hand guards to try and keep the air off them.

Having owned BMW GS’s, I know what ‘too hot’ feels like! My T7 grips were dealer fitted. Is there any way these can be wrongly installed? Opinion seems to be really divided on whether these OEM grips are effective or not, but having followed the programming instructions to the letter, I’m wondering if these grips are not equal. Perhaps there is a sporadic manufacturing defect.

Either way, I don’t feel prepared for a RTW adventure trip and will be back to the dealer, once they have opened again. 

Also, if I have to change the grips, it would be the right time to change the handle bars. I have seen some disturbing reports about bent bars. Do people think that the OEM bars are strong enough to withstand ordinary crashes in the middle of nowhere? I won’t be riding a loaded bike up mountain goat trails.

Sounds like the program isnst set as also went out today UK 6degrees and they were toasty, as good as my Gs

1 minute ago, Rickster said:

Thanks, that is somewhat reassuring. So... it’s back to the dealer (in Yeovil) to try and convince the boss that these aren’t doing what they are supposed to. 

If thats Bransons they are really good, its where I bought my Rally from. Likely they will do a swap for you. I actually put these on my jetski although not designed for it and good through wet gloves and still work after 2 years in sea water:))

I just want to chime in here and say I've got the KOSO heated grips installed and they are fantastic, I much prefer them to the oxfords.

48 minutes ago, Matth said:

If thats Bransons they are really good, its where I bought my Rally from. Likely they will do a swap for you. I actually put these on my jetski although not designed for it and good through wet gloves and still work after 2 years in sea water:))

I wasn’t going to name names... but, yes, it was from Mr B. himself. He had registered it for his son who was coming back from Oz to do a tour of Europe and then the big ‘C’’ kicked off. His son hadn’t arrived so it was being used as a demonstrator.  I demoed it in August and bought it without a second thought.

Glad to hear so many people are happy with them. I will give them one more go...

I’ll second the KOSO heated grips. I had them on my Versys. They work great, plenty warm enough and look good. The  control is on the grip.

I would rate the Yamaha grips ok, but not quite as warm as the KOSOs.

What a thread!

Having a lithium battery (Shido), would this matter when installing Oxfords directly to the battery?

Hello my name is Johannes, I too am an electrical idiot.

«Hello Johannes»

I have the Yamaha heated grips and find they warm enough in the max setting. The problem I find is that they are terribly hard to the touch, a piece of rigid plastic.

Anybody has advice? Is there anything that I can add on top that will still get warm?

4 hours ago, powder said:

I have the Yamaha heated grips and find they warm enough in the max setting. The problem I find is that they are terribly hard to the touch, a piece of rigid plastic.

Anybody has advice? Is there anything that I can add on top that will still get warm?

Grip puppies, about $20.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:08 AM, JayD said:

What a thread!

Having a lithium battery (Shido), would this matter when installing Oxfords directly to the battery?

Hello my name is Johannes, I too am an electrical idiot.

«Hello Johannes»

Type of battery doesn’t matter. The beauty of the Oxfords is that the controller will turn off if your battery dips below 12volts it’ll shut them off. 

• Thanks 1

What about grips coming loose? I’ve heard about many, especially the Oxfords with the included glue?

Edited by JayD

If you don’t want to mess with the zip ties, use hand sanitizer as a lubricant to get the grips on. 

Not a miracle but an improvement.

While this is an awesome thread with much information, I still had a few questions regarding installing the Oxford heated grips and use a Yamaha connector.

Heres what I found as a complete electrical noob:

The rewiring of the Oxford cable to the Sumimoto (ebay) connector was easy, but  having never done anything like this, I had to tinker for a long time. Picture 1. Didn’t use a crimping tool, just pliers from my Leatherman. I didnt crimp correctly, see a later post of mine to see how it should be.

What took the most time was figuring out where to put all the cables after the install. The Oxford cables are very long. I ended up taping them all together with vulcanizing silicon tape, which is a genius thing. Picture 2 is where I stored most of the bundle, on the side of the radiator with strips to the frame after taping them together. Inside the bundle theres three connectors, the power source already installed on our bikes to the Oxford cable, and the left& right cables to the grips.

Picture 3 is where the wires went from the bars and over the triple tree.

Long post, but hopefully its useful if you’re considering this upgrade. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message and I can explain further.

Pic 5: heated grips are a must in Norway, I couldn’t feel my pinky for a day.

Johannes

13EAAFC3-D8D7-4170-801C-143731A00833.jpeg

A19599B7-EBC6-435F-9EF6-19FBA0FBCF65.jpeg

3E22A18B-2599-4ED5-BA1F-CFE55ED5118B.jpeg

FC6454D2-3C7D-4A1E-885A-D1E1331F9C5E.jpeg

Edited by JayD
  • Like 3