Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha heated grips not as good as Oxford - or are they??

Rich TT

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

Rich,

Do you need to do this every time you use them or do they remember your choice?

Thanks

Only need to do it once and it remembers.

Cheers

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, DazR said:

Thats exactly what I did and it works, Thanks for the tip.👍

So how did you and @Alan M handle that each of the controls have a notch that fits a small hole in the handle bar to keep it from rotating then?

7 hours ago, DT675 said:

So how did you and @Alan M handle that each of the controls have a notch that fits a small hole in the handle bar to keep it from rotating then?

There should be enough of a gap between the throttle slide and switch to allow a little movement up the bar.

Seems strange Yamaha have done this with the switchgear, makes fitment of aftermarket bars that bit more difficult.

The other pain is single bolt on clutch. Means removing grip to remove clutch 😖

Wow, did THIS turn out to be a great thread.

I've seen it and breezed through it.  But I kinda wrote this thread off as the "my grips are better than yours".  Everyone has the BEST one, of course.

Well, I dug a little bit and learned a thing or two.

My Yamaha grips were okay, but not nearly as hot as my BMW ones.  Then I saw "they're configurable" and "look at the manual".  

WOW.  By default, my grips were set to level 1.  Meaning 8W on Low, 8W on Med and 8W on High.  Suitable for a scooter and it's electrical system.

There is also a medium for up to 600cc bikes and a high setting for anything bigger.  The output change looks significant.

THANKS to Hombacher and RichTT for shedding some light.!

Edited by ride2little
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 5:22 PM, Vtamb81 said:

Nevermind, did some more searching and answered my question on the forum. Looks like you need to cut the spacers...

Don’t cut the spacer down, just use a thick washer or two between the BB weight and the bars. 

Edited by Alf Meister
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:15 PM, DT675 said:

I  loosened the controls enough to slide up the bar slightly without removing completely and didnt see any holes in the bar.  Just retightened and nothing has moved.

Maybe it’s a US Spec thing. I don’t think you would be able to do that on the US bikes.  Every control, including the throttle tube assembly has a plastic notch that stick into a hole in the handle bar to keep them from rotating and unfortunately sliding up or down the bars. Unless dealt with.  It sucks. 

“North American” spec thing, we also have it up north and yes, it really, really sucks... 

Remove the tit that is on the controls that fits into the hole on the bars with a file or something. They will break off in a crash anyways.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the other Oxford heated grips they offer?  Apparently, there is a UK only version that has 9 heat settings. UK Version.  

Then there is a new model that I can't seem to find on their website.  They are called oxford EVO heated grips and these grips can adjust the temperature to each grip individually via a thermistor on each side.  This helps compensate for the colder clutch side.  A bit  pricey though.  Evo Adventure heated grips

• 2 weeks later...

Installing the Oxfords soon. Any preferences over using the factory plug vs. direct wiring to the battery? The Oxfords turn off automatically, so that shouldn't be a concern. And I wonder if direct wiring improves the current flow? 

On 10/10/2020 at 3:00 PM, ride2little said:

Wow, did THIS turn out to be a great thread.

I've seen it and breezed through it.  But I kinda wrote this thread off as the "my grips are better than yours".  Everyone has the BEST one, of course.

Well, I dug a little bit and learned a thing or two.

My Yamaha grips were okay, but not nearly as hot as my BMW ones.  Then I saw "they're configurable" and "look at the manual".  

WOW.  By default, my grips were set to level 1.  Meaning 8W on Low, 8W on Med and 8W on High.  Suitable for a scooter and it's electrical system.

There is also a medium for up to 600cc bikes and a high setting for anything bigger.  The output change looks significant.

THANKS to Hombacher and RichTT for shedding some light.!

I did the same set up process on the OEM grips. They works as well as the Oxford ones on my other bikes. I like the design and the fact there is no external control box on the handlebars. Great thread 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, BLZ2DWL said:

Installing the Oxfords soon. Any preferences over using the factory plug vs. direct wiring to the battery? The Oxfords turn off automatically, so that shouldn't be a concern. And I wonder if direct wiring improves the current flow? 

FWIW the dealer installed the Yamaha heated grips direct on my bike.

Downside, they will turn on with the key off.

Upside, you can preheat them 

Unsure if I will be changing mine yet, winter is coming 🙂

If anyone is looking for a cheaper alternative to the OEM wiring adapter, I bought a set of headlight adapters off eBay for a Yamaha banshee. They utilize the same sumitomo 3 pin connector. 

Cutting and soldering, or splicing the wires won't look as clean as a quality crimp, but I didn't want to spend $40+ on a proper crimper and connectors from eastern beaver or cycle terminal.  As a bonus, this kit comes with 2 connectors so you can use one for the heated grips and the other for LED lights or whatever. 

s-l400.jpg

Yamaha Banshee Headlight Adapters 97-01 To 02-06. Condition is New. Th is W il l ma ke your 02 0- 6 headlightsf it a 9 7- 01 harness.

20201109_225411.jpg

20201109_231437.jpg

Edited by tj3089
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 11:10 AM, Treps said:

I did the same set up process on the OEM grips. They works as well as the Oxford ones on my other bikes. I like the design and the fact there is no external control box on the handlebars. Great thread 

Here is where i decided to mount my Oxford control box so it isn’t sticking off the handle bar. It works great reaching it with the left thumb. If i needed them all year round i might not want it mounted here but since its seasonal it works well. B013D68C-220B-4930-BA82-A04433FF3A9D.thumb.jpeg.e93ea9e148924b3f423b63e2ea9d1e2a.jpeg

70FD0DB0-37BE-4FDF-A20D-25B59EF7DD84.thumb.jpeg.23b6b8cc1a131d1c45ba84816122a0c7.jpeg

On 11/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, WalterT said:

Here's the original grip manual for everyone's reference (including the setting for bike type). Mine are nice and toasty.

Screenshot_20191114-171015~2.png

One note: mine start of at 100% at the first button press and go to a lower setting every next press - which is not in line with the manual. 

After 6 pages I can't believe how many people bitch about the heat output of these grips, A failure to read the instructions for a proper setup is always the case ... If you have these grips and you suffer from cold hands you either have a hand deficiency or installed them wrong. If they are  setup properly and your hands are still chilled you are a wimp period. Yamaha Heated Grips are very hot .

• Like 1

has anyone found / 3D printed a more low profile mount for the Oxford control box?

I'm looking for something exactly like the one @Murska made:

oxford mount.jpg

oxford mount2.jpg

Can someone tell me which color wires on the bike connector side to match with the red/black wires to my heated grips? I'm hoping to complete the wiring connection to my bike this week.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, mr. projekt said:

has anyone found / 3D printed a more low profile mount for the Oxford control box?

I'm looking for something exactly like the one @Murska made:

oxford mount.jpg

oxford mount2.jpg

Not exactly the same, but should work: 

featured_preview_IMG_20191001_144417.jpg

Created for Honda Hornet pc41, but it should fit to any 22mm handlebar. It position controller as much to grip as possible. Cavity and additional holes is for water escape. Maybe overkill...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baggey22 said:

Not exactly the same, but should work: 

featured_preview_IMG_20191001_144417.jpg

Created for Honda Hornet pc41, but it should fit to any 22mm handlebar. It position controller as much to grip as possible. Cavity and additional holes is for water escape. Maybe overkill...

Awesome!!! thank you! exactly what I was looking for

9 hours ago, mr. projekt said:

Awesome!!! thank you! exactly what I was looking for

If you google “Oxford controller 3D print” you can find 3 or 4 different variations that others have made. Also for free 

On 11/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, beater_bimmer said:

Can someone tell me which color wires on the bike connector side to match with the red/black wires to my heated grips? I'm hoping to complete the wiring connection to my bike this week.

Match either red/white on bike connector to red on heated grips. Match black to black.

2 hours ago, A A Ron said:

Match either red/white on bike connector to red on heated grips. Match black to black.

Oddly enough, I did that in a variety of combinations and also confirmed keyed 12V power to the plug but it never works. This was with Koso Apollo grips. Ended up just wiring to the battery and they fired right up.

Using the sumitomo switch would obviously be a better config but oh well...

I just wired the Oxfords directly to the battery. They have an auto-cutoff if voltage drops, so I'm not too concerned. If it proves problematic, I'll use the ACC plug. As an aside, I had Koso Appolo grips on my AT, and they drained the battery flat several times, even though they were supposed to have a smart cutoff.