Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lets talk fuel range on a tank cause 139 miles is no good

Mr.motarded

I curious on the range people are getting out of a full tank. 

Today my low fuel "light" came on at 139 miles wich is definitely not going to cut it for some of the trips I have planned i was really hoping for 200 miles out of a tank. Is my low mileage cause I just ride that hard. This was a mixture of hwy riding and twisty back mountain roads and some urban commuting.  This is only my 2nd tank the first tank i ran down to about 1/4 then filled up again. 

So what are people tending to get out of a tank? Is the reserve that big on this bike can i get another 50 miles? 

Any info would be great and the more input the better. 

Here is a pic from todays 80mile ride home from work. Lol my shop is only 14 miles away but for some reason I got lost today. 

Also got my gps installed.  Size matches the dash perfectly.  

20200611_134005.jpg

20200611_161041.jpg

• Like 4

Yes I got 42 miles on the flashing low fuel light. The counter comes up automatically. I was on the freeway doing 80mph in a headwind and figured that and the motor not broken in yet sucked the fuel down on the last 3 bars fast. My light didn't start flashing til 160 though. I slowed down to 65 since the closest gas station was 42 miles away and not knowing the bikes characteristics yet played it safe by slowing down. 

• Like 1

Don’t go by when your low fuel light comes on. Go out and measure it sometime with some spare fuel. While I obviously try not to run a tank dry, I will usually do it once on a bike with some spare fuel to see the distance I can get. On the different WRRs I’ve had over the years I’ve seen myself get anywhere from 28-44 miles on its own 2 Gal tank doing the same ride with each. One actually gave me only 5 miles on the low warning.. when I didn’t have any extra fuel. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

I ride mine pretty hard and the last bar starts flashing around 140 miles too. However, when I look how many litres I get it until brimmed it's only 11 or so. That means there's a good gallon left so another 50 to 60miles (average UK MPG is 50.3MPG after 1500 miles of 1/3 off road 2/3 on roads using a lot of throttle). I think 50MPG is great considering how hard I ride it.

The manual even says is 0.95 gallon reserve. So how I ride it I should get 190 to 200 miles to dry.

If I rode much more gentle, I'm sure I could get 240 miles.  But what's the fun in that?😆

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Adrenolin said:

Don’t go by when your low fuel light comes on. Go out and measure it sometime with some spare fuel. While I obviously try not to run a tank dry, I will usually do it once on a bike with some spare fuel to see the distance I can get. On the different WRRs I’ve had over the years I’ve seen myself get anywhere from 28-44 miles on its own 2 Gal tank doing the same ride with each. One actually gave me only 5 miles on the low warning.. when I didn’t have any extra fuel. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah ive done it on the WR250R and Wr250x  i have the 3 gallon on my 250x and can get 140 miles out of it sucking fumes.  

Yeah the best way is to run it down and see the miles . Im just really hoping for 200miles on a tank. I know ive seen others getting that but im wondering now if they are babying the bike the whole time to get that. 

• Like 1

I’ll have rear racks (OM) on the bike with a Rotopax as an option for longer rides. I really hate filling up. I’ve done 280 miles non-stop rides with my WRR and it’s 4.7 tank. 

• Like 2

I used to get 160  miles then light starts flashing  .. Don't know what happened 😵🤔... Ah wait....changed the wheels and got used to the beast... Now I get a flashing light at 120 140 miles... My computer is saying I'm averaging 47mpg... How accurate this is I don't know... I just ride and smile and fill up 🏍️💨😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr.motarded said:

Also got my gps installed.  Size matches the dash perfectly.  

20200611_161041.jpg

What model GPS is that? I need a new one and that looks like a nice setup.

thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QUIT_IT_FLETCHE said:

I was on the freeway doing 80mph in a headwind

For sure, this is never a good combination motorcycle.  You won't pass many gas stations like this.  Worse than a deep sand wash.  After 42 miles fully puckered up, did you happen to catch how much gas it took to fill it back up?

Give the bike a few hundred miles to really break in. It's been well documented that bikes get noticeably more fuel efficient as everything wears together. Also, knowing this engine from the MT07 I would say that it does get over 40 mpg so you should see a min of 160 miles.

Actually a larger reserve makes sense for a bike like this. You'd want more warning since this bike is designed for being off the beaten path. I've never seen a gas station on a jeep trail through the mountains. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roy826 said:

thanks

Its an old garmin nuvi 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brownie said:

For sure, this is never a good combination motorcycle.  You won't pass many gas stations like this.  Worse than a deep sand wash.  After 42 miles fully puckered up, did you happen to catch how much gas it took to fill it back up?

Only squeezed in 3.85 but you know how accurate gas pumps are. I haven't got scientific with the fuel mileage yet, figured I would wait til the bike was broken in and outfitted fully before spending the time getting real numbers. Just getting familiar with the bikes nuances and enjoying just about everything other than the numb ass.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm taking my time breaking in my bike, and must be riding it like a granny compared to you guys. 
The computer says I'm averaging 3.8L/100km  or around 61mpg (us) 

Last night I topped off my fuel tank (chickened out early) I put in 8.8L, thats filling it to the brim, giving it time to settle, topping it off more, really squeezing in that fuel.  And the odometer was sitting at 244km (~152miles) and still had 2 bars left on the gauge. 

Quick math stated that the ride was 3.6L/100km or ~65mpg (us)

I'm guessing, 350+km range should be pretty easy + reserve if just touring around.   Its a 16L tank correct? 
I did ride gravel and dirt, some off roading, twisties, and a bit of highway, and one low wheelie.

Odometer reading after last nights ride, 895km, almost time for the 1st service. 

Tazmool

• Like 2

So in the first ~1000 kms, keeping it under 5000 rpm, it returned about 4.5l/100 or 52 USMPG with no appreciable head wind. 5000 rpm is about 110km/h actual or 68 mph. During the next 500 kms or so I was riding gravel back roads/forestry roads at varying throttle/RPM. Hard throttle up to 8000 RPM, sustained speeds never really got over 100km/h or 62mph due to loose gravel. Returned about 4.1l/100 or 57 USMPG. The last 700 or so kms was mostly highway/freeway riding at up to 6000 rpm sustained with a 30km/h headwind where it returned about 5.3l/100 or 44 USMPG.

When the light/fuel count up trip come on, I typically need about 11.5 liters to full. With a 16l tank, that leaves 4.5 liters left (1.2 USGal). Haven't run it dry yet, but traveled over 80 kms after the light came on at 5500 rpm sustained throttle, and only had to put in 13.8l.

So, the light is VERY pessimistic. I run with a rotopax when I'm in the back country and wouldn't hesitate to run 400 kms (248miles) on the main tank if I can keep my sustained rpm below 5000. Rev it hard, or sustain high rpm, that will drop significantly.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

5 hours ago, roy826 said:

thanks

Great set up, could you show me a pic of the rear GPS mount buddy, im getting 170 then reserve light comes on which I believe will give another 30 miles but im not a fast rider, maybe a quick blast but mostly cruise along.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matth said:

Great set up, could you show me a pic of the rear GPS mount buddy, im getting 170 then reserve light comes on which I believe will give another 30 miles but im not a fast rider, maybe a quick blast but mostly cruise along.

The gps is mounted with original mount and zip tied against rubber. But i don't recommend this gps at all it is useless when riding cant read it due to glare ill be going with something else. It was worth a try but a big fail. 

Ok thanks for that, ive tried a few and by for the best one ive had is the BMW navigator 6 as has anti glare stuff on the screen. I had a Garmin zumo 396 but it was completely useless and what ever screen your trying to set up keeps jumping around, aiming for a navigator 6 next month, expensive but it works very well and also ordered a Camel bobble head mount so no movement i hope!

Edited by Matth

Don't worry...when you get your first service fuel consumption will imrove...furthermore there is an aftermarket tank coming along the way in 2020...can't say more...

Has anyone ran out to find out how much you can actually put in the tank?

I had the light start flashing at at 131 miles, got gas at 140 miles, fill up was 3.3 gallons. 39 mpg, most of those were 'normal riding' on back roads with a healthy throttle application.

• Like 1

Today was my second day of break-in rides.  Stayed below 5000 rpm, most of the time, except for spurts.  I rode 162 miles on 2.64 gallons of gas.  That's about 62 mpg.  BTW today I still had two bars showing when I stopped for fuel.  I plan to check it again tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duggram said:

Today was my second day of break-in rides.  Stayed below 5000 rpm, most of the time, except for spurts.  I rode 162 miles on 2.64 gallons of gas.  That's about 62 mpg.  BTW today I still had two bars showing when I stopped for fuel.  I plan to check it again tomorrow.

How is it even possible to stay below 5000 revs. Thats equivalent to getting a hooker and just holding hands. I'll never understand the soft break-in.

07afda28-6c8e-4b51-ae4f-601c471766bd_screenshot.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Mr.motarded said:

How is it even possible to stay below 5000 revs. Thats equivalent to getting a hooker and just holding hands. I'll never understand the soft break-in.

That's easy.  I've been buying new motorcycles since 1968.  After a while you learn what is good for your motor.   So I learned a long time ago that a fast break-in makes a fast bike but they haven't been as durable for me.  I want my T7 to be a traveling bike, not a racer.  I have a 701 I've been taking to Baja.  I think the T7 is going to be a great bike for Baja, and anywhere else.  And BTW 5000 is 65.  I don't have any problem riding the backroads and mountains around here at that speed. 

4 hours ago, Mr.motarded said:

07afda28-6c8e-4b51-ae4f-601c471766bd_screenshot.jpg

Your initial comments refer to not lasting very long, going hard. Get your money's worth with fuel and don't go so hard. Ditto for your hooker!😉

Edited by Louis

On my T7 the first fuel indicator bar goes at 100 km. From there on it drops pretty fast until the fuel light comes on at around 280 km. Last time I managed to get 11,7 litres in with 292 km driven. That gives consumption just slightly over 4l/100km. My driving was pretty mixed, highways, big and small gravel roads and city driving.  I don't pay close attention to my driving style. Only on longer highway stretches I try to keep the eco-sign visible.

• Like 1

Have run mine dry at 283 kms mixture bitumen, dirt and some sand hills. (176miles)

Tested on freeway at freeway speeds 110kmh + fuel light flashing at 220km (137.5mils) and when I refuelled at 298.1 kms  (186.3 miles) it took 15.18litres.(3.34 Gals)

My full ride report is here https://www.tenere700.net/topic/760-2020-tenere-tragics-gold-rush-run/

I will wait and see what additional fuel options are available from Safari Tanks (supposed to be 23/24 litres) and T7 Rally (additional ??) but in the interim I will mount a 7.5 l Rotopax to my rear rack to get me through.

• Like 2

Just another Tenere Tragic