Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lets talk fuel range on a tank cause 139 miles is no good

Mr.motarded

Had my first service the other day at 450 miles and got them to swap the front sprocket to a 16 tooth instead of the standard 15.

it made a significant difference as ive felt the 1-2 gears are too low.

at 5000 rpm was doing  64 mph now its 72mph so each gear is taller. My average fuel has increased distance as well. I did 112 miles on the new sprocket and it just dropped 2 bars as i got home.

before 190 miles i did per tank and interested to see this time when it empties.

• 2 weeks later...

Have measured mileage three time now: 67mpg; 63; and 67.  The two 67's included fire roads. Very happy!

On 6/24/2020 at 10:54 PM, Matth said:

Had my first service the other day at 450 miles and got them to swap the front sprocket to a 16 tooth instead of the standard 15.

it made a significant difference as ive felt the 1-2 gears are too low.

at 5000 rpm was doing  64 mph now its 72mph so each gear is taller. My average fuel has increased distance as well. I did 112 miles on the new sprocket and it just dropped 2 bars as i got home.

before 190 miles i did per tank and interested to see this time when it empties.

i will be going for a 16t sprocket. i dont go off road much so good if i can drop the revs when cruising.

I've hit 330km with 3 ltrs still left in the tank. That last flashing bar & the "trip F" meter show up with 4.3ltrs remaining. So far ave rate has been 4.2-4.3 ltr/100km. Safe to say there's easily 350km+ available before fumes get desperate. 

• Like 1

Ok so just used a complete tank and got 193. A mixture of riding speeds, my gs only got the same and needed more fuel to fill up so pleased what the T7 will do

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matth said:

Ok so just used a complete tank and got 193. A mixture of riding speeds, my gs only got the same and needed more fuel to fill up so pleased what the T7 will do

Exactly mate. I'm guessing you rode the bike as it should be ridden and still got nearly 200 miles out of a relatively small tank of 16l. Impressive if you ask me and you seem happy too.

I used to get 79 miles from my Tuono V4R until the light started flashing, and that didn't bother me because motorcycling is my no. 1 hobby 😆

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

I'm currently getting 72 mpg running in & on super unleaded. I'm really surprised & happy. It's such a great engine that will burble along. Lots of mountain roads where I live so plenty of gear changes. My only issue is the seat. I can't ride for much more than an hour before it's unbearable. I'm hoping my butt gets used to it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just ran my first tank to empty.  Did 130 miles of backroads in the hills of the Bay Area.  Then hit the freeway cruising 70-80 until the low fuel light came on at 162mi.  Rode 42 miles home 70-75mph.  Next day went out trying to run out of fuel again riding 45mph city roads with 1gal rotopax.  Bike died at 217mi showing 49.8mpg.  I was trying to not rev above 7000 and wasn't heavy on the throttle.  I used a lower gear than I typically would in most twisties to avoid low rpm lugging.

Filled 1gal and rode 1.5miles to gas station.  Filled up to the bottom of the strainer cup thingy with 2.98 gal.

All in a pretty good mix of what I typically see on trips and I'm sure I'll not have a problem coping with the range.  

I'm looking forward to the Larger tank T7 Rally has in the works.

J

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,
I did a little trip yesterday, about 440km in 5 hours, my fuel consumption is about 3,7L/100km average (the bike is new so still need to be nice with the throttle, but still doing solid 4500/5000 rpm but still stay in eco mode, plus I’m not a need for speed guy anyway) and the reserve started blinking a round 275-280km, I did like 10km on reserve to find a gas station (I was a bit stressed by the situation, lost in a place I didn’t know and gps just died) and at the end I only had to fill 9L, the same happened one time before, reserve started blinking and had to fill 8L only, I’m tempted to try to empty the fuel until 0L to see, because it’s still really weird. (My only bike experience was XT500 and Tenere 3AJ, which doesn’t had wonderfull technology, so for fuel it was just guessing game :v )

What I can say though, I have the 2020 rally edition (Skyblue) That have the rally seat, and, around 5 hours sitting on this was just horrible for me (I did a pause but it was like 10min) the first 3hours were okay, on the end it was just pain, seat is not as comfortable as my old XT500 haha!

Overall it’s still a great bike for medium/long trip to me. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After seeing the spy shots of the tenere “travel” with a larger tank, I hope they haven’t screwed up the look of it. I use soft luggage, so don’t want the boxes, but def want gold rims and more juice. My ‘86 does 280 miles easily. Hopefully if it’s a 20 or so litre tank, it will be able to be retrofitted to the normal models eh? ( as long as its not pig ugly or hung too low like the freak show looking ktm. ) although I suppose with the many American buyers now getting it, there may be more appeal for an aftermarket company to invest in building one. Come on boys, get moulding. 

On 7/14/2020 at 5:59 AM, Goldentaco said:

Just ran my first tank to empty.  Did 130 miles of backroads in the hills of the Bay Area.  Then hit the freeway cruising 70-80 until the low fuel light came on at 162mi.  Rode 42 miles home 70-75mph.  Next day went out trying to run out of fuel again riding 45mph city roads with 1gal rotopax.  Bike died at 217mi showing 49.8mpg.  I was trying to not rev above 7000 and wasn't heavy on the throttle.  I used a lower gear than I typically would in most twisties to avoid low rpm lugging.

Filled 1gal and rode 1.5miles to gas station.  Filled up to the bottom of the strainer cup thingy with 2.98 gal.

All in a pretty good mix of what I typically see on trips and I'm sure I'll not have a problem coping with the range.  

I'm looking forward to the Larger tank T7 Rally has in the works.

J

Interesting Video on Youtube Professor Simon explains why USA MPG is much worse than UK or European MPG with same vehicle, as I understand it in the USA it is law to have at least 10% Ethanol in pump gasoline, Ethanol is far less calorific than Gasoline, which means much lower MPG figures for any vehicle using it. I have done a little research and found that ESSO 99 Octane UK fuel ( called Synergy Supreme 99 ) has NO Ethanol, which is great for mileage, and also great for your machine. I worked in a Yamaha Dealer for 10 Years as Ethanol was being introduced to the UK, and I can from personal experience confirm it is super corrosive to much of our fuel system, to the point where I have seen a 'Melted' fuel tap from a Honda left for a Yr with Ethanol rich fuel in the tank. I also experienced last Year, post winter storage my own ( other Machine ) refuse to start due to the amount of Water in the tank, Ethanol absorbs water, can you believe...this was stored in warm dry Studio for 5 Months. 

My recommendation would be to check out Ethanol free fuel and see what you guys think, for me the extra 10/15p per litre is worth every penny.

Oh and my average MPG from recent Spain tour of around 1500 Miles was 60.4 MPG at National limits

Edited by Spelldrummer
spelling

1 hour ago, Spelldrummer said:

Interesting Video on Youtube Professor Simon explains why USA MPG is much worse than UK or European MPG with same vehicle, as I understand it in the USA it is law to have at least 10% Ethanol in pump gasoline, Ethanol is far less calorific than Gasoline, which means much lower MPG figures for any vehicle using it. I have done a little research and found that ESSO 99 Octane UK fuel ( called Synergy Supreme 99 ) has NO Ethanol, which is great for mileage, and also great for your machine. I worked in a Yamaha Dealer for 10 Years as Ethanol was being introduced to the UK, and I can from personal experience confirm it is super corrosive to much of our fuel system, to the point where I have seen a 'Melted' fuel tap from a Honda left for a Yr with Ethanol rich fuel in the tank. I also experienced last Year, post winter storage my own ( other Machine ) refuse to start due to the amount of Water in the tank, Ethanol absorbs water, can you believe...this was stored in warm dry Studio for 5 Months. 

My recommendation would be to check out Ethanol free fuel and see what you guys think, for me the extra 10/15p per litre is worth every penny.

Oh and my average MPG from recent Spain tour of around 1500 Miles was 60.4 MPG at National limits

One imperial gallon is equivalent to 1.2 US Gallon. Or 1 US gallon = 3.78 lites. 1 imperial gallon = 4.54 litres.

1 hour ago, Spelldrummer said:

I don't doubt it.  In California it's hard as Cluck to find Ethanol free fuel.  And in the SF Bay area it's non existent.  In CA most places that "might" have it are county airports or racing suppliers.  Every place on this list is at least 90 miles away from the Bay Area

pure-gas.org is the definitive list of ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

In Oregon I've found it in the wild in Biggs on the Columbia River.

• Like 1

I average about 38-39 mpg on the highway here in California, according to the dash.

I can't say how fast I ride, well past the posted. The drivers out by me drive well past the limit. It slows down the closer I get to LA. I commute round trip about 90 miles per day.

I fill up about every other day, about 165-170 miles for 3.8-4.0 US gal. fill up. It's gotten better as I put more miles on the bike. Have about 3.5K miles on it.

I'm going to alternate to my other bikes, now that it's well broken in. They have bigger tanks and are more comfy than the T7.

On my first long ride with the bike, about 300 miles, I filled up the tank and started home, rode a mix of slower technical rocky roads for a bit, and gravel and twisty paved roads. when i got home i had 182 miles on the trip odometer, and I put in 2.68 gallons in the tank, which gives me 67 MPG. I'm pretty happy with that, I was very worried I'd need to always take fuel with me or something for a longer trip but I can't see it being a real problem. 

I am paranoid about gas though so if a bigger tank comes out I would probably get it 🙂

Mike

13 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

I don't doubt it.  In California it's hard as Cluck to find Ethanol free fuel.  And in the SF Bay area it's non existent.  In CA most places that "might" have it are county airports or racing suppliers.  Every place on this list is at least 90 miles away from the Bay Area

pure-gas.org is the definitive list of ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

In Oregon I've found it in the wild in Biggs on the Columbia River.

I have found that near lakes are good places to look for ethanol free fuel. Inboard motor boats often have builtin tanks, usually made of fiberglass. Ethanol is tough of these tanks, so boat owners will happily pay for ethanol free fuel.

In 2,800 km with my Rally Edition, I've calculated (at the pump, from full tank to full tank) consumption between 28.3 and 29.6 kpl. That translates approximately to UK mpg between 80 and 83. My riding style is very smooth, I don't ride in town and in these times of restrictions I haven't taken the bike on more than 50 km of motorway. So it's mostly A and B roads, mostly the latter. The on-board computer is consistently pessimistic by 6-9%. I hit the flashing segment of the fuel indicator at about 330 km on average (and I should have some more than 100 if I ride on all the reserve). No ethanol in fuel, here. I am very happy with these figures, as you can imagine. For a comparison, I can quote my 24 kpl on the Tracer 900 GT and my 31 kpl on the Honda CB500X (my 2015).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m averaging 63 mpg on the road with a 16T sprocket. Last weekend I rode 230 miles and had .9 gallons left in the tank. That’s like 68 mpg. Granted I ride conservatively and live at sea level in the flat lands of Florida.

Consider a gearing change if mpg is a priority. The motor pulls MT gearing effortlessly (16/43). I have a 520 kit (16/42 from Sprocket Center) ready to be installed when I get time. Obviously I’m working towards a adventure touring sled.

Still in my initial break-in period and went 199.3 miles before putting in 3.28 gallons.  I am riding mellow for now but I wasn't expecting fuel economy to be that good.  The bike seems to be geared quite low so I will mount a 16-tooth counter-sprocket for traveling.  

• Like 2

Rode from LA to Sf last week on a trip. Probably the first time I realized I had to start paying attention to this gas-guzzler they call a bike.

Fully-loaded with a top case with two carry-bags, a duffel, a tent, and a pillion, this bike averaged 39 MPG on the flat parts of the highway. Anytime we hit heavy winds or had to go up in elevation (which, in California is  basically every 10 feet), my mileage dropped to 21-29 MPG.

Yeeeah.. I had to fill up every hour and a half on her. Suffice to say my pillion was not a happy camper haha 😅

Unsurprisingly, without a passenger or any luggage, the bike averages around 60 MPG. I realize that when it’s loaded I really, really have to pay attention to my throttle control.

On a related note, if anyone was wondering what they can expect to get with this bike on EMPTY with a pillion and bad highway riding habits; about 34 miles! 😁

Edited by loneranger700
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd add an update to this that others may have found.  My on dash MPG readout is currently 6mpg low over the last three tanks.  Bike has 6700 miles on it.  I have been bummed I was only getting 44-46mpg according to the display.  I had forgotten to double check it by hand calculating.  Turns out I've been averaging 52-54mpg in reality.  Needless to say I was much happier to find out I had been wrong in my mpg calcs.

For anyone relying on the dash mpg readout it would be a good idea to verify it manually.

J

Must admit I only use the gauge for fun. First and last parts are slow, middle section drops like a stone. I always calculate anyway to see what my wagon does on a refill. On my commutes to work it’s 80/85mph on motorway, then chugging around town. She does about 58-60 mpg (uk) generally. That’s with playing about too just for exhaust sound fun. Childish I know, but now she’s run in the arrow can sounds fantastic. I reckon I’ll be trying out the bigger front sprocket too as long as it doesn’t make it rough at low revs. Sat at motorway speeds she definitely feels a bit revvy. I also use a shorter screen and rally seat so I wonder how much that alters mpg with the wind on my chest. 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:35 AM, bth2 said:

i will be going for a 16t sprocket. i dont go off road much so good if i can drop the revs when cruising.

Unless you’re riding in the woods or steep single track, the 16t is good for just about all the off-road this bike will see. I don’t find myself wanting to go back to the 15. The bike is so torquey it’s still a great combo for the trails I ride in the Sierras. 

it’s much nicer on the 120miles of freeway it takes to bug out. 

J

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 8:08 PM, Adventure6965 said:

I'm currently getting 72 mpg running in & on super unleaded. I'm really surprised & happy. It's such a great engine that will burble along. Lots of mountain roads where I live so plenty of gear changes. My only issue is the seat. I can't ride for much more than an hour before it's unbearable. I'm hoping my butt gets used to it.

I’ve now done 4700 miles and a recent 370 mile trip around Dorset and north Devon (so mainly A, B & C roads) and I averaged 74.6 mpg. The bike is so flexible and easy to ride, the only down side is the seat and on/off throttle when closing the throttle at low speeds.

If you find the seat uncomfortable after an hour, my experience is it won’t get better.  My  issue is the tail bone area, which coincides with the part of the seat (rally edition seat) with the least amount of foam due to the cut out in the seat base. Riding for more than one day at a. Time makes things worst as my ass doesn’t have time to recover. My solution is to. Stop regularly when it starts to get painful and or stand on the pegs occasionally, which also benefits my old legs and affords a better view when the hedges are a little too high restricting the great views. 

The T7 engine is quite remarkable, frugal and flexible, those only getting 40’s-50’s mpg seems odd (I don’t bimble along, but stick to the speed limits except nationals when I might go a bit quicker, I don’t spend much time on motorways or dual carriageways). The lowest I’m getting is low 60’s.

• Like 1

CP2 is frugal as long as you keep your throttle hand in check.  My mpg has ranged from 40 to 70. The consumption seems to sky rocket after 4-5 krpm. If I'm having really much fun on quick gravel roads I'm out of gas at 250km (~150 miles). If I'm just touring and enjoying the view with modest speed and high gear I can quite easily get around 400km (~250 miles). Usually I get around 300km before I need stop for gas.

Keeping the speed under 80kph (~50 mph) makes a really big difference. That makes sense, because the biggest issue in higher speeds is drag and it starts to really hit after 80kph. So if you want good mpg, go with modest speed, high gear and steady gas hand. 

Luggage and driver size makes a difference too. Big cross-section will create more drag. Also knobby tyres and low tyre pressure add friction and therefore consumption.

Edited by Hobes
typo
  • Like 3