Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 rear tire 150/70/18 or 140/80/18. Advantages and disadvantages

Cruizin

Soooooo...other than the cost.....what is the benefit of either? See percentages but what does the riding characteristics change? 

The reason I ask is I have a 140 Pirelli MT21 Rallycross almost new that came on my 690 that was thinking of putting on the Tenere. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

Knowing both are radial tires, smaller the side wall the less the flex from the rubber.

140 will have less contact patch compare to 150 due to physical width.

140 will have more rotational moment which will cause the tire wants to spin more after it has been going, but typically smaller wheel will have less mass....so might be a moot point with this comparison...

personally, I can see myself using 150 if I want to roll on highway more so than dirt.

my 2 cents

Edited by TimmyTheHog

So 150 road. 140 dirt? My 140 on the KTM did great on the road, and dirt. Almost same HP. Ktm 100 lbs lighter though. 

If 140 isn't a big deal on this bike, and still handles the road fine I see no disadvantage to saving almost half on a 140 rear tire. 

I have read that the 150's are built a lot heavier and more robust than 140's because they are built to with stand big weight and big power of GS's S10's big KTMs etc and that is why they cost a lot more. No clue if this factual or not.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

So 150 road. 140 dirt? My 140 on the KTM did great on the road, and dirt. Almost same HP. Ktm 100 lbs lighter though. 

If 140 isn't a big deal on this bike, and still handles the road fine I see no disadvantage to saving almost half on a 140 rear tire. 

Yes, 150 for road warriors. Because it is wider.  

Yes, 140 dirt. Because it is taller, has taller sidewalls, more flex, more to air down,  less pinch flats. 

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

I have read that the 150's are built a lot heavier and more robust than 140's because they are built to with stand big weight and big power of GS's S10's big KTMs etc and that is why they cost a lot more. No clue if this factual or not.

They are more because they are harder to find. They are gaining in popularity as more factories use them as a stock size, but 140's are more prevalent. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to know the Dunlop mission 140/80/18 fits, I don't think that it's available in Australia yet. Like to know how that works out for you. Always considering what tyre to spoon on next. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@ScorpionT16

If anyone's interested, I did get the Dunlop trailmax Mission tires, in a 140/80/18 rear, fits perfect. 

How would you rate the compound of these hard, medium or soft?  I had Dunlop 606's on a DRZ years ago and although they wore like iron, the compound was so hard that even aired down, they spun more than they dug in and bounced over rocks rather than trying to grip. I now run MotoZ on my Beta, great tire at 12 lbs. Psi.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

@ScorpionT16

If anyone's interested, I did get the Dunlop trailmax Mission tires, in a 140/80/18 rear, fits perfect. 

How would you rate the compound of these hard, medium or soft?  I had Dunlop 606's on a DRZ years ago and although they wore like iron, the compound was so hard that even aired down, they spun more than they dug in and bounced over rocks rather than trying to grip. I now run MotoZ on my Beta, great tire at 12 lbs. Psi.

Only had them on for about 100kms... I'd say Medium-Hard, you can probably run these flat, that's how stiff they are. I did a tubeless conversion, so don't plan to go less than 24psi anyway. The DRZ is fairly light, maybe the weight of the T7, combined with a 140 rear, and the side lugs on the Mission trailmax might be enough to get you going, not sure tbh. 

The MotoZ Tractinator Adventure was my 2nd choice, maybe the next set. Right now, I love the Dunlops, I get all the hype and positive reviews now, the rear tire just hooks up like a knobby and other than wet mud/clay, the front is like a vice, on the street, best tire I've had, even compared to a Michelin Pilot Road 3. Depending how further use and milage goes, I see just sticking to the Trailmax going forward, its a street tire on the street, and acts like a knobby off-road, a unicorn match for the T7 and my riding style atm. I like the non-conventional approach Dunlop has taken, and redefined what an ADV tire can be/look like, alongside making them in North America (USA)

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, Simmons1 said:

That does make some sense.  Someone look and see if there is a noticeable  difference in weight.

51 minutes ago, jetdr21 said:

That does make some sense.  Someone look and see if there is a noticeable  difference in weight.

Depends on the tire manufacturer as-well, the Dunlop Missions in 140 or 150 both have the same load/high speed rating and tread

One other minor tidbit is the 140/80/18 will effectively “gear your bike up” over the 150/70/18 just a little bit. Kinda like subtracting a tooth from the rear sprocket. 

I did a change like this to a 2017 Honda CRF250L- their was a tire i really wanted to try but it only came in a different size than the manufacturers spec and similar to the comparison in this thread.  After installing it i also needed to add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket to offset its taller size. Then all was well. 

Haven't noticed any difference in height or gearing with the DTM 140 rear. Doesn't make any more difference than running a tire with new tread, vs worn out

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpty bump. nobody else put a 140 on their 700? Curious to how it has affected the road manners. Looking at the Motoz Rollz in a 140 for better offroad but dont want to feel like Im in a skating park on twisties coming home. 

1 hour ago, manny said:

refer to new tyre recommendation, topic

Thanks man. I read your thoughts. Cheers. Anybody else chime in Id love to hear how a knobbier 140 instead of a 150 feels on the road. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

I have a Metzeler karoo 3 on order in the 140/80-18tl.  I'm going to do a tubeless conversion on the rear before fitting the new boot.  Almost 7000km on the stock Pirellis so far, they are a great on the road but the absolute shits in the clay mud.  Have to keep the rear wheel spinning fast in order to clear the treads out.  Doesn't seem to be any lateral traction in the snotty mud, Mitas e07 and TKC 80's are far better, but it just makes the riding more interesting, doesn't stop any riding from going on yet!  Makes me work a bit more than I would like but I could use the exercise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to upset the thread or anything, but on the discussion of 150's are made for big bikes, and 140's for smaller, aren't the heaviest bikes made with a 17" rear? I think the two heavy weight champs are a tie between 12XX GSA and SuperTens, both of which use a 17" rear.

Plus, number of plies would be the biggest difference in strength and weight, not necessarily size. Can anyone confirm that a 140/80-18 in ANY brand has the same number (or fewer) plies as a 150/70-18? 

• Moderators
On 8/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Bumpty bump. nobody else put a 140 on their 700? Curious to how it has affected the road manners. Looking at the Motoz Rollz in a 140 for better offroad but dont want to feel like Im in a skating park on twisties coming home. 

@johnnygoluckyI'll let you know in the not too distant future. I just ordered a set of MotoZ Tractionator RallyZ, 90/90/21 & 140/80/18. If nothing else, it'll at least look badass!

mot_19_tir_tra_ral-1896270002.jpg

Designed by off road riders, for off road riders, for serious off road traction. It is technically 25% stronger than many other adventure tires. Additionally the tread is deeper than most adventure tires. Special compound designed to withstand the harshest of conditions...

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

52 minutes ago, CAJW said:

@johnnygoluckyI'll let you know in the not too distant future. I just ordered a set of MotoZ Tractionator RallyZ, 90/90/21 & 140/80/18. If nothing else, it'll at least look badass!

mot_19_tir_tra_ral-1896270002.jpg

LOL. I got the EXACT same pair, size and model as you and were just delivered today and will be swapping them out this weekend. Read GREAT things about the RallyZ and figured I'm personally more concerned about offroad traction than street manors so went with the 140. I take it pretty easy when there's traffic and pavement, but dirt I get promiscuous on the throttle. 

• Like 1

Anyone running a true 50/50 tire? I'm looking at the TKC 80's or the Kenda Big Blocks. I'd love to run the trackmasters (10/90 tires which are absolute desert beasts on my DRZ) but I fear the road manners will be compromised on the T7.

Just need some recommendations on dirt oriented tires for the T7.