Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Cruizin

Tenere 700 rear tire 150/70/18 or 140/80/18. Advantages and disadvantages

Cruizin

The Stock Rear Tire on the Tenere 700 is 150/70/18 .  But many people are choosing to go with the 140/80/18 instead. 

Let's compare the two, shall we? 

PRICE.  The most popular reason for going with the 140/80/18 size tire is that it costs so much less than the 150/70/18.  Take a look at the Continental TKC 80.  In 150/70/18 it costs $199.99.  But in 140/80/18 it only costs $106.96. That is a huge difference in price that allows T7 owners to put that extra money towards something else for their bikes. 

Less Pinch Flats.  Looking at the chart below, the 140/80/70 tire has a 6.7% taller sidewall.  This reduces pinch flats when airing the tire down, and allows you to have a little more cushion as well. 

150x70xR18-140x80xR18.png

Less width.  It's a proven fact that the more narrow the tire, the better traction one has offroad. The tire can more easily dig down and find more to grab onto. 

DISADVANTAGE.  If you are height challenged and have a short inseam, the 140/80/18 tire will be a bit taller. IF you can barely get a foot down with the stock 150/70/18 rear tire, you might want to consider getting a low seat, or a lowering link. 

It's not a HUGE increase of height, but tire height will go up from 26.27 inches/667.2 mm to 26.82 inches/681.2 mm. 

Another possible disadvantage, this is not the tire size that Yamaha Recommends.  To some this is important, to some it doesn't matter at all. 

There may or may not be some safety considerations, especially when riding long distances on highway and going with a more narrow tire. But for offroad purposes, the 140/80/18 seems to be the way to go. 

If you are mostly a highway rider, I would suggest sticking with the 150/70/18 rear tire, to keep the needed width to have as much surface patch contact as possible. It will also be more steady on the highway. 

If you ride more offroad, the 140/80/18 may be just the ticket for you. 

Sound off below with your thoughts on this controversial but popular tire debate. 

• Like 3

johnnygolucky
Posted (edited)

Soooooo...other than the cost.....what is the benefit of either? See percentages but what does the riding characteristics change? 

The reason I ask is I have a 140 Pirelli MT21 Rallycross almost new that came on my 690 that was thinking of putting on the Tenere. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

TimmyTheHog
Posted (edited)

Knowing both are radial tires, smaller the side wall the less the flex from the rubber.

140 will have less contact patch compare to 150 due to physical width.

140 will have more rotational moment which will cause the tire wants to spin more after it has been going, but typically smaller wheel will have less mass....so might be a moot point with this comparison...

personally, I can see myself using 150 if I want to roll on highway more so than dirt.

my 2 cents

Edited by TimmyTheHog

johnnygolucky

So 150 road. 140 dirt? My 140 on the KTM did great on the road, and dirt. Almost same HP. Ktm 100 lbs lighter though. 

If 140 isn't a big deal on this bike, and still handles the road fine I see no disadvantage to saving almost half on a 140 rear tire. 

Simmons1
Posted (edited)

I have read that the 150's are built a lot heavier and more robust than 140's because they are built to with stand big weight and big power of GS's S10's big KTMs etc and that is why they cost a lot more. No clue if this factual or not.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Thanks 1

Cruizin
1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

So 150 road. 140 dirt? My 140 on the KTM did great on the road, and dirt. Almost same HP. Ktm 100 lbs lighter though. 

If 140 isn't a big deal on this bike, and still handles the road fine I see no disadvantage to saving almost half on a 140 rear tire. 

Yes, 150 for road warriors. Because it is wider.  

Yes, 140 dirt. Because it is taller, has taller sidewalls, more flex, more to air down,  less pinch flats. 

Cruizin
1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

I have read that the 150's are built a lot heavier and more robust than 140's because they are built to with stand big weight and big power of GS's S10's big KTMs etc and that is why they cost a lot more. No clue if this factual or not.

They are more because they are harder to find. They are gaining in popularity as more factories use them as a stock size, but 140's are more prevalent.