Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TIRES! Aggressive 50/50 dirt worthy T7 tires for Sand?

nelsonccc

I know another tire thread. If this was on Facebook I'd catch so much flak. I definitely need a better set of tires for the T7. At least a 50/50 tire and the front has got to be good in sand. So far I'm looking at the kenda Big blocks. I hear good things about the anakee but the front doesn't look knobby enough. Also looking at the MIchelin desert race front and the 908 front. Rear is easy, just needs an aggressive pattern but does anyone have any experience with the T7 in sand and a solid front tire recommendation? Or something I should look at?

I can determine tires all day long for the lighter bikes and I run the AC10's or Trakmasters on my DRZ religiously but I hear the tires for the smaller bikes wont work for the larger bikes and my DRZ rarely sees pavement so I'm at a loss on what to do.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Probably more aggressive than what you've looking for, (10% Road-90% Off Road), but MotoZ states the Tractionator RallZ was developed from desert racing.  From their website  " Its DNA is part desert race tyre and part long distance adventure tyre".   I hope to have these mounted up soon and will offer my opinion after getting the nubs worn off, but in the meantime ping @johnnygolucky who just put a set on with his initial report being very positive.

20200903_170144.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Well the RallyZ and Dessert HT are neither 50/50 tires. The Adventure tire is barely there as well, but better for pavement. I've been riding the RallyZ now for a week and it's great, for what my intension is.

When I ride to Alaska next year I'll be putting the stock Pirellis back on because they're GREAT street tires. Very stable. But cant stand them in fast off-road. But being my main riding now is town, short freeway blips and lots of dirt I wanted traction on dirt to be my priority, especially with such a big bike. So I keep it a little slower in corners and such on pavement but when the off-road hits, they're ability to purchase dirt is amazing. And again, they're very good on road for how aggressive they are. I think it's the silica that gives it good bite on pavement. But there is a different feeling on road from the stock tires just to be clear. I'd say there's much better 50/50 tires out there for more street focus, but hard pressed to find such a great DOT dirt tire that does this well on pavement so far and just rips in dirt. Much better than my D606's and MT21's in both arenas. Just depends on what you're cooking. You live in dessert, I live in loamy PNW. Hope that helps. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry by the off-topic but, these tube-less tyres like the RallZ, can be mounted in the OEM rims without problems? Putting tubes, obviously... 😬

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

Sorry by the off-topic but, these tube-less tyres like the RallZ, can be mounted in the OEM rims without problems? Putting tubes, obviously... 😬

Yes. This is quoted from an email inquiry I made directly to MotoZ about that very subject. " For a tube type rim our tubelss adventure tyres are marked ‘on tube type rim fit tube".

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
12 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

Well the RallyZ and Dessert HT are neither 50/50 tires. The Adventure tire is barely there as well, but better for pavement. I've been riding the RallyZ now for a week and it's great, for what my intension is.

When I ride to Alaska next year I'll be putting the stock Pirellis back on because they're GREAT street tires. Very stable. But cant stand them in fast off-road. But being my main riding now is town, freeway and lots of dirt I wanted traction on dirt to be my priority, especially with such a big bike. So I keep it a little slower in corners and such on pavement but when the off-road hits, they're ability to purchase dirt is amazing. And again, they're very good on road for how aggressive they are. I think it's the silica that gives it good bite on pavement. But there is a different feeling on road from the stock tires just to be clear. I'd say there's much better 50/50 tires out there for more street focus, but hard pressed to find such a great DOT dirt tire that does this well on pavement so far and just rips in dirt. Much better than my D606's and MT21's in both arenas. Just depends on what you're cooking. You live in dessert, I live in loamy PNW. Hope that helps. 

Thanks for the write-up. Helps confirm my next move, cheers. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

26 minutes ago, CAJW said:

Yes. This is quoted from an email inquiry I made directly to MotoZ about that very subject. " For a tube type rim our tubelss adventure tyres are marked ‘on tube type rim fit tube".

Fantastic. Thanks a lot! 👍

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

2 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

Yes no big deal. And actually if you look at the stock Perrelli's that came on the bike, they're tubeless tires. Yammy just put tubes in them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Yes no big deal. And actually if you look at the stock Perrelli's that came on the bike, they're tubeless tires. Yammy just put tubes in them. 

Incredible but true!

I still missunderstanding why this guys don't put tubeless rims directly in that machines to simplify the life of one who has a puncture in the middle of nowhere. 🤷‍♂️

pirelli.jpg

• Like 2

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

16 hours ago, CAJW said:

Probably more aggressive than what you've looking for, (10% Road-90% Off Road), but MotoZ states the Tractionator RallZ was developed from desert racing.  From their website  " Its DNA is part desert race tyre and part long distance adventure tyre".   I hope to have these mounted up soon and will offer my opinion after getting the nubs worn off, but in the meantime ping @johnnygolucky who just put a set on with his initial report being very positive.

20200903_170144.jpg

Yeah, these are on my short list as well. I watched an hour long youtube video on sand tires from 15 brands (DOT rated) and it appeared that the TKC 80 and the Pirelli rally were bomber. I'm 90% sure the front will be one of the following;

-TKC80

-Pirreli Rally

-or RallZ above.

Rear is less concerning. Decisions...Decisions.....

Also, I've read on here that people are running the 140 instead of the 150. Any issues with this? Appears to be a very small change and those 140's are WAY cheaper! The taller sidewall is a good thing in the desert and I always thought that a 150 (street oriented) tire on an 18" wheel seemed weird.

Edited by nelsonccc

51 minutes ago, Ol'crazy said:

Incredible but true!

I still missunderstanding why this guys don't put tubeless rims directly in that machines to simplify the life of one who has a puncture in the middle of nowhere. 🤷‍♂️

pirelli.jpg

here’s some homework for you...

DSC02254-scaled.jpeg

A debate I often refuse to get into online involves tyre inflation / support […]

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nelsonccc said:

Also, I've read on here that people are running the 140 instead of the 150. Any issues with this? Appears to be a very small change and those 140's are WAY cheaper! The taller sidewall is a good thing in the desert and I always thought that a 150 (street oriented) tire on an 18" wheel seemed weird.

No issues that I've read or heard. All your other points, I totally agree. Skinny (er) on dirt is good, while wide on the street good. 

1 hour ago, Burner said:

here’s some homework for you...DSC02254-scaled.jpeg

Thank you for the homeworks :-). I did it but, having in mind the 99% of users of the T7 is not thinking to  do the ride around the world, I still thinking a tubeless rims are very much versatile than the tubes.

Especially having in account that always is possible to carry and put a tube into a tubeless rim.

That is an ethernal debate in any case and is possible that in fiteen years stills unresolved.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

No issues that I've read or heard. All your other points, I totally agree. Skinny (er) on dirt is good, while wide on the street good. 

I've got the 140 on the back. I'd love to feel the difference between a 150 and 140 RallyZ on my bike on pavement. Went with the 140 because in all honesty, they're almost half price. This was a trial run for Motoz as I've never owned that brand before, read good things and see how well they last. Performance wise, so far so great. My guess is the 150 might feel a bit more planted on the tarmac. But the 140 better for dirt. It just came down to be not really caring either way and the price was significant enough to throw shade on the 150. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

This is of great interest to me as well, because @nelsonccc lives in the same town as me, and I'm sure we'll be riding in the same type of terrain.

Though I've been riding for over 32 years, I'm a total noob at off-road, so any help in the soft stuff I can get would be welcome.

I'll be following this closely 🙂

A 50/50 tyre is a compromise tyre. Usually mud, sand or longevity is the weakness of the  tyre. There's a number of positive reviews for the  Bridgestone AX41 the main  weaknesses is the longevity. Aside from that a more off road  tyre will compromise on road performance. 

So, in looking into this a bit more, I think I'm going to go with the MotoZ RallZ for sure.  Looking at all the reviews out there on just about all the tires in this segment, the Bridgestone AX41 and MotoZ RallZ jump to the top of the list (for me).

Out of the two, seems like the AX41 would be better suited to street with a good amount of "normal" off road.  By normal I mean not rocky, dry, or overly sandy off road, which I've been reading the Rallz excels at.

I look at it like this...I'm a noob when it comes to off road, but an experienced street rider overall.  I got this bike to go exploring off road as much as my skills and my own fears will allow.

To that end, the MotoZ RallZ seem to allow for a much SAFER ride in my off road environment than just about everything else I've read up on.

And because I'm a noob off-road, I want as much safety as I can get when I'm off pavement, and I think the MotoZ RallZ tires will allow me to explore a little bit more in my desert off road environment at my current off road skill level (which is zero) and provide a much larger safety margin.

That's my methodology anyway.  

Thoughts?

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 4

What ratio are the stock tires considered? 90/10 on- road favored?  

I too will be looking for something from 50/50 to 70/30 (on- road favored)  But, I haven't decided  what direction I’m going to take this bike yet between off road and on road! So far I've  been overwhelmingly off road and tires are moving their way up on my purchase list real fast. But i think next summer i will do some more longer “ADV tour” type trips where favoring on road would be better. I need 2- T7’s. 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, nelsonccc said:

I know another tire thread. If this was on Facebook I'd catch so much flak. I definitely need a better set of tires for the T7. At least a 50/50 tire and the front has got to be good in sand. So far I'm looking at the kenda Big blocks. I hear good things about the anakee but the front doesn't look knobby enough. Also looking at the MIchelin desert race front and the 908 front. Rear is easy, just needs an aggressive pattern but does anyone have any experience with the T7 in sand and a solid front tire recommendation? Or something I should look at?

I can determine tires all day long for the lighter bikes and I run the AC10's or Trakmasters on my DRZ religiously but I hear the tires for the smaller bikes wont work for the larger bikes and my DRZ rarely sees pavement so I'm at a loss on what to do.

Thanks!

Kinda off subject here but I thought I’d just mention the Metzeler MC 360 tires for your lighter bikes. Ive ran trackmasters and AC-10’s too. I just threw on the MC 360’s this year on my dual sport bike and love them. Way better than the trackmasters and AC-10 IMO.  I went with the “soft” for the lug spacing.  

Anyone know if the Pirelli MT21 in a 140/80 is any good as a 50/50? Nearly time to ditch the STR and looking for alternatives.

I have used Mitas E09 - E10 on the F8 but I think the T7 deserves something more aggressive. 

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I was at a XLADV Rally this past week with 80+ ADV riders. MotoZ was a sponsor and + a rep was on site selling tires.

Quite a few of us road to Crowley Lake which was a really sandy ride.

Some of the riders I went with, had MotoZ Tractionator RallZ tires on their bike and they did great in the sand.

2073942518_XLADV400.jpg.95a3352f6be863ca9efd180a4661f8c6.jpg

IMG_2035.JPG

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 5

In looking for a good 50/50 tire, I was torn between several choices, including the Motoz Rallz, Motoz Adventure, Michelin Anakee Wilds and the Bridgestone AX-41.  I ended up choosing the Bridgestones, so we'll see how they work out.  I know longevity isn't the AX-41's strongest selling point, but the price I paid for both tires reflects that.  With Bridgestone's current rebate offer, the set only cost me $185.  Not bad at all.  If I were planning a long distance trip I would have chosen something with greater longevity.  But for now these will do. 

Bridgestone Battlax AX-41.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Johnnyboxer said:

I ran MC360 on a XR400R 

Road riding has shredded the side knobs and ripped them off in a 1000 miles, on the front 

I never ran them on the road. Maybe just a little for connecting. I really like them off-road though.