Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TIRES! Aggressive 50/50 dirt worthy T7 tires for Sand?

nelsonccc

I went ahead and purchased the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T. Per their website it's the best desert tire and seems engineered for sand more so than the Rallz. The website shows the rallz as a 10/90 tire and the desert HT as a 15/85 but the Desert HT says it's engineered for sand so I guess we'll find out!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

I went ahead and purchased the Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T. Per their website it's the best desert tire and seems engineered for sand more so than the Rallz. The website shows the rallz as a 10/90 tire and the desert HT as a 15/85 but the Desert HT says it's engineered for sand so I guess we'll find out!

Sweet!  Let me know how you like them.

I've been doing a lot of reading on these, and on the Rallz.  

In my research, it seemed like the Rallz were better on the road, quieter, and with more silica in their compound, even though they are advertised as a 90/10 tire, and still very good in sand.

The Desert H/T seemed like it was a heavier tire, stiffer compound, and longer lasting.

I still think I'm gonna order the Rallz and see how I get on...

🙂

- Paul

@nelsonccc, I was told by MotoZ to get the tubeless version of their front tire and not the tube type because our front rim is too wide for the tube type.

Did you go with the tubeless version of the front tire and use a tube in it?

Edited by pgeldz

40 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

@nelsonccc, I was told by MotoZ to get the tubeless version of their front tire and not the tube type because our front rim is too wide for the tube type.

No. I was just doing the order through Rocky this morning. I was planning on getting the tubeless since rocky only had the tube type in the 90/100 and the 140/80 tube type for the rear. Did they say anythign about the tube type 140 for the rear?

Here is a group view of what I compiled from ChapMoto review ... Prices are in $CDN ... mostly http://fortnine.ca

(some tires in RED are not available in 150/70-18... so the 140/80-18 is there but this is not a fair compare price wise since the 140 is 1/2 the price of the 150)

image.png.738f2902d711dcd352e84b0aef65d61e.png

Edited by MGG
Typo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, nelsonccc said:

No. I was just doing the order through Rocky this morning. I was planning on getting the tubeless since rocky only had the tube type in the 90/100 and the 140/80 tube type for the rear. Did they say anythign about the tube type 140 for the rear?

I didn't ask about the rear, but was told to definitely use the Tubeless type in the front.  Sorta makes sense, since the 150 rear is only Tubeless.

So basically, I'll be tubes in the tubeless version of the tires.

🙂

- Paul

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MGG said:

Here is a group view of what I compiled from ChapMoto review ... Prices are in $CDN ... mostly http://fortnine.ca

(some tires in RED are not available in 150/70-18... so the 140/80-18 is there but this is not a fair compare price wise since the 140 is 1/2 the price of the 150)

image.png.738f2902d711dcd352e84b0aef65d61e.png

Thanks for putting together this list. Motoz website does however list the Tractionator RallZ as a 10% Road/90% Off Road rating.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

@nelsonccc Sorry, meant to tag @pgeldz. Interesting advice.  Was that recommendation from a MotoZ rep or dealer?  Just wondering as I wrote directly to MotoZ about the Tractionator RallZ regarding tube type vs tubeless on the T7 and there was no mention about rim width being an issue. They recommended that a tube should be used in a tubless tire on a tube only rim, but that was it. My tubed front  Tractionator RallZ is stamped for rims 1.60 or 1.85 inch rims. With our T7's running a 1.85" front rim, wondering where the disconnect in advice is?

20200911_131422.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

16 minutes ago, CAJW said:

@nelsonccc Sorry, meant to tag @pgeldz. Interesting advice.  Was that recommendation from a MotoZ rep or dealer?  Just wondering as I wrote directly to MotoZ about the Tractionator RallZ regarding tube type vs tubeless on the T7 and there was no mention about rim width being an issue. They recommended that a tube should be used in a tubless tire on a tube only rim, but that was it. My tubed front  Tractionator RallZ is stamped for rims 1.60 or 1.85 inch rims. With our T7's running a 1.85" front rim, wondering where the disconnect in advice is?

20200911_131422.jpg

Hmm.  Interesting.  It was from the sole US importer and distributor from MotoZ.

• Moderators

@pgeldz. Check for a pm incoming.  I'll forward my emailed recommendation from MotoZ to you, so you can forward to your source for comment.  

16 minutes ago, CAJW said:

Thanks for putting together this list. Motoz website does however list the Tractionator RallZ as a 10% Road/90% Off Road rating.

... I know ... I only indicated the 50/50 as chapMoto.com presented in their review

The actual % will vary from vendor to vendor ... and the marketing schemes they try to pull to stand out from the rest

... there is also a huge factor on how rigid and heavy duty a tire is. Some are flimsy, some are heavy tanks ... 

... you do need to look at the thread pattern and figure out your goals ... and the noise level you can live with 🤣

I do think that dual sport tires should have traction indicated in different groupings or at least a standardized metric:

• Road ... slicks and only rain grooves ... not safe offroad on wet grass ... 90% road - 10% offroad
  • Road Explore ... road type tires that can easily do some gravel roads ... 80% road - 20% offroad
  • Adventure ... medium gaps between blocks but they can still carve ...  50% road - 50% offroad
  • Dirt ... large gaps between blocks ... 40% road - 60% offroad
  • Dirt Extreme ... not safe on wet tarmac ... 10% road - 90% offroad
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Hopefully mine has the standard front rim? 21 x 1.85

20200911_134322.jpg

45 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Hmm.  Interesting.  It was from the sole US importer and distributor from MotoZ.

Yes, the MotoZ US Importer was at the XLADV Rally I was in last week. He will also be at the Geico Motorcycle Adventure Rally and Camp in November @ Julian, California.

So if your in the area they will hook you up with great prices on tires, if they have them in your model & tire sizes. That's the problem, they can't import the MotoZ tires into the country fast enough.

I didn't bug the rep too much, as I still have brand new Mitas E-07+ & Mitas E-10 tire set waiting for the arrival of my T7. After those wear out, I'm going with MotoZ tires.

Ok, so just talked to the SOURCE...

The 90/90/21 tube type front tire from MotoZ can be used on a rim 1.60 - 1.85 inches wide.  And as @CAJW showed us, the Tenere 700 front wheel is 1.85 inches wide.

So you can use EITHER/OR tube type (preferred) or tubeless on the Tenere 700 front wheel in 90/90/21 from MotoZ.  Of course if you use the tubeless version, you still have to use a tube 🙂

Hope this helps everyone.  This info came directly from MotoZ's US Importer and Distributor, the place where every company in the US gets them from 🙂

Still waiting on data from them about a 140 tube or tubeless vs a 150 for our bikes.  As soon as I know I'll pass it on...

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 1

Ok, got the word on the 140 rear.  You can only use the Tubeless 140/80/18 on the rear (with a tube in it of course because our wheels are tube type.

But they said a 140 tube type tire isn't good for our bike, as it was designed for much narrower wheels and lighter bikes.

The 140 tubeless tire (with a tube in it) will work because the tubeless construction makes it strong enough.

🙂

- Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Rear wheel size, in case anybody needs it. 18x4.00

20200911_154246.jpg

In case anyone is interested, the Michelin Anakee Wild are recommended in the european user manual as the off-road alternative to the Scorpions. And from what I have heard and read they must not be misbehaving.

anakee.jpg

Edited by Ol'crazy
  • Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

I am running motoz tractionators front & rear with the 140 tube type on rear & had it up to 181 klm/h on dirt with no dramas

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, manny said:

I am running motoz tractionators front & rear with the 140 tube type on rear & had it up to 181 klm/h on dirt with no dramas

Going at this speed on dirt the drama is a matter of time regardless of the tires 🙏😮

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

17 hours ago, manny said:

I have a set and was ready to put them on when I started reading about the front tire not working well on the street. Can you tell me if you have had any drama on the tarmac?

• Moderators

@pgeldz I am following this closely and want to be sure I make the right move. Is there no tubeless rear RallZ or Desert H/T tire @140/80/18 or am I missing something? The only option I see at this point is the Adventure, which is more road bias than I am hoping to go.

2131616294_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.b95f594d55498c6a423a6d19959b9c4e.png959917077_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.21eba399fe0fecf83eb77393443f59fd.png

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

my last big ride was 1500 klm over 4 days 75 % dirt 25 road 5 of the 6 bikes that were on the ride had motoz & everybody was really happy with them, on tar I have not had any unpredictable moments even when I am pushing it pretty hard, similar to the original Pirelli tyres but heaps better off road, other than being a bit noisy (whuuur) especially with the extra weight 2 up

On 9/13/2020 at 1:30 AM, manny said:

my last big ride was 1500 klm over 4 days 75 % dirt 25 road 5 of the 6 bikes that were on the ride had motoz & everybody was really happy with them, on tar I have not had any unpredictable moments even when I am pushing it pretty hard, similar to the original Pirelli tyres but heaps better off road, other than being a bit noisy (whuuur) especially with the extra weight 2 up

Hi manny,

What model are you referring (gps, adventure, rallz, desert)?

Each time I try to decide what to put for replacing the OEM Pirelli, I am more confused. 🙃

Finally am I having going to play dice to decide?... 😬

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10