Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700Sm Journey to big brake kit (Beringer content)🔥😃👌

Aleksandar13

Hi all, 

Planing to change the front brake setup with something with a bit more bite and more aggressive to match my riding. 

I am starting to source parts for the job and need to know how the front brake lines work... I don't understand the splitter thing and if it can be removed or what is the optimal way around this. 

At the moment the only supplier of braided lines I have found is off road.de and they offer a like for like replacement of the original one. 

Hel is supposed to make a kit but I am unable to source it. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Aleks 

Considered the CamelADV high fender kit just to serve as a line splitter without fitting a high fender? Believe that includes new braided lines. 

They should still mount around the stock low fender. I’ve been considering the same just to get rid of the over the fender routing that could be an unnecessary problem in the event of low fender damage. Not keen on the high fender personally, but not fond of the stock brake line routing either. It’s just Yams budget method of getting fluid to both calipers.

• Like 5

I would also recommend the high fender kit. Can be mounted without the high fender and eliminates the crossover line.

IMG20201017123941.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with the above, the only question I would have is if the braided lines will fit different calipers then what we have on the bike... @Camel ADV could you please let me know if the attached could work with your kit.

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210116-061827.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
13 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I agree with the above, the only question I would have is if the braided lines will fit different calipers then what we have on the bike... @Camel ADV could you please let me know if the attached could work with your kit.

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210116-061827.jpg

I don't see an issue mounting our lines to those calipers.

Perhaps you know all of this already and have solutions figured out. If so, disregard the info below.

Unless you're a machinist (or know one) attaching those radial Brembos onto the T7's axial mounts will be a challenge. Axial to radial adaptors are common in the supermoto world so maybe there is something that will work for the left side but since dirtbikes don't have dual calipers, you'll SOL for the right. The T7 brake mounting bosses aren't like any other axial mounts I've seen. That been said, they are low profile, very basic and quite stout so if you're plan is to make adaptors, they are a good base to work off of.

Radial calipers are usually 100mm or 108mm bolt spacing so if you happen to find adaptors, make sure they are the right spacing for your new calipers.

Those caliper appear to be 4 piston, there may not be room for them between the spokes and inside of the brake rotor. You may have to make spacers to move the rotors outward to clear everything.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

2 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I don't see an issue mounting our lines to those calipers.

Perhaps you know all of this already and have solutions figured out. If so, disregard the info below.

Unless you're a machinist (or know one) attaching those radial Brembos onto the T7's axial mounts will be a challenge. Axial to radial adaptors are common in the supermoto world so maybe there is something that will work for the left side but since dirtbikes don't have dual calipers, you'll SOL for the right. The T7 brake mounting bosses aren't like any other axial mounts I've seen. That been said, they are low profile, very basic and quite stout so if you're plan is to make adaptors, they are a good base to work off of.

Radial calipers are usually 100mm or 108mm bolt spacing so if you happen to find adaptors, make sure they are the right spacing for your new calipers.

The spacing for the brembos I have purchased is 100mm and the mounting of the holes for our bikes is 60mm. I have access to cad and machining myself and will make these work. Once I receive them next week and I am happy with the mock up fitment I will get the braided lines from your website. 

I will either 3d print the brackets first or laser cut them in mild steel to make sure they fit as I like and then proceed with machining them out of aluminium. 

Below is my first attempt at making these without having the calipers just by scaling pictures and measuring the t7. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210116-WA0014.jpeg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

The spacing for the brembos I have purchased is 100mm and the mounting of the holes for our bikes is 60mm. I have access to cad and machining myself and will make these work. Once I receive them next week and I am happy with the mock up fitment I will get the braided lines from your website. 

I will either 3d print the brackets first or laser cut them in mild steel to make sure they fit as I like and then proceed with machining them out of aluminium. 

Below is my first attempt at making these without having the calipers just by scaling pictures and measuring the t7. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210116-WA0014.jpeg

Looks like you have a good handle on it. I went through something similar when adapting the Africa Twin's radial mount caliper to the KYB SSS forks... lots of lessons learned, most through trial and error.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Looks like you have a good handle on it. I went through something similar when adapting the Africa Twin's radial mount caliper to the KYB SSS forks... lots of lessons learned, most through trial and error.

It's the only way forward, I am lucky to have access to a lot of engineering tools and have very knowledgeable people around me that can help if I get stuck... The reason I choose these calipers is that they are fitted on more than one bike with 17 inch and spokes so I am hoping they will fit without spacing the discs out. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210116-190236.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

It's the only way forward, I am lucky to have access to a lot of engineering tools and have very knowledgeable people around me that can help if I get stuck... The reason I choose these calipers is that they are fitted on more than one bike with 17 inch and spokes so I am hoping they will fit without spacing the discs out. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210116-190236.jpg

I'll be curious to see how you make out with it. I forgot you were working with a 17" front. Those 4 pistons may fit with the spoke crossover angle being sharper on a 17".

• Like 2

Calipers arrived today and they will touch the spokes, I am unable to fit them with the current spacing between the discs. 

Once I have measured the spacing required I will probably end up spacing the brake discs out by the amount required to get the caliper and the disc in line. 

It looks between 4 and 5 mm but this needs a vernier to measure and I forgot to bring it back from work. 

The road to amazing brake will not be easy but I bet it will be worth it in the end. 

Aleks 

IMG_20210123_110613.jpg

• Like 2

Ordered the 5mm and 1mm spacers at the moment to be able to mock up the discs and the calipers and see if this would work... 

Attached is a statement found online about the calipers I am using, it seems to be a popular caliper with Gs and triumph and ducati...if the attached is right then the caliper should have 30mm offset... 

@Camel ADV would you know how to measure this and what the offset of the t7 caliper is... This might save me a lot of measuring. 

Any help would be appreciated. 👍 

Screenshot_20210124-205132.jpg

Good stuff which got me thinking. I asked Brembo if they do a brake upgrade kit like this.... but it was a no. Thought it would look cool with he gold weelies

472B0C52-299D-4B29-B312-82C33AA12C8B.png

9FF2444C-8110-46A6-B510-E588492303C8.png

Edited by Matth

• Supporting Vendor
49 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Ordered the 5mm and 1mm spacers at the moment to be able to mock up the discs and the calipers and see if this would work... 

Attached is a statement found online about the calipers I am using, it seems to be a popular caliper with Gs and triumph and ducati...if the attached is right then the caliper should have 30mm offset... 

@Camel ADV would you know how to measure this and what the offset of the t7 caliper is... This might save me a lot of measuring. 

Any help would be appreciated. 👍 

Screenshot_20210124-205132.jpg

I don't know what the T7 offset is or where to measure it from being that T7 caliper is axial mount. The offset of the OEM caliper likely isn't a relevant number for your purposes. If you were looking to swap one radial caliper for another, that would be important info. You can make the offset whatever you like with your new caliper adaptor brackets.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Camel ADV said:

I don't know what the T7 offset is or where to measure it from being that T7 caliper is axial mount. The offset of the OEM caliper likely isn't a relevant number for your purposes. If you were looking to swap one radial caliper for another, that would be important info. You can make the offset whatever you like with your new caliper adaptor brackets.

Thanks for clearing this up, hoping that 6mm spacer will clear the spokes on the standard disc size.. If not I'll have to move it out and get 320mm discs... 

Aleks 

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
1 minute ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thanks for clearing this up, hoping that 6mm spacer will clear the spokes on the standard disc size.. If not I'll have to move it out and get 320mm discs... 

Aleks 

Increasing the rotor diameter moves the caliper closer to the cross of the spokes and creates more room?

Just now, Camel ADV said:

Increasing the rotor diameter moves the caliper closer to the cross of the spokes and creates more room?

Well yes according to my measurement the closer I am to the rim the more space I have... 

IMG_20210116_161130.jpg

8 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Have a look at the pattern of the spokes, I think you can see that they get wider closer to the hub... 

Screenshot_20210125-210602.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
42 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Have a look at the pattern of the spokes, I think you can see that they get wider closer to the hub... 

Screenshot_20210125-210602.jpg

Yes, of course. For some reason I was picturing the BMW R1200gs style cross lace with the spokes terminating on the beads rather than the center of the rim. The sweet spot for calipers is in the "V" where the spokes cross each other. Not relevant as that's not what you're working with!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Did you make any headway on this?

I've got spacers here and a mockup bracket in mild steel is being laser cut next week... But in the mean time I've been in touch with Beringer and I am 99 percent sure I will be doing something with their caliper... They have been very helpful, drawing sent to me with what is a potential bolt on solution... I will check the drawings later this week and post progress once I'm sure of things. 

Screenshot_20210202-212436.jpg

• Like 1

I think this is the original caliper. Note the 60.1mm mounting gap and offset measurements.

909961101_Brembo60mm.thumb.jpg.68d1098211e6ecfca1c84164635a8420.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I think this is the original caliper. Note the 60.1mm mounting gap and offset measurements.

909961101_Brembo60mm.thumb.jpg.68d1098211e6ecfca1c84164635a8420.jpg

This is the current closest offer from beringer... Close and might work but if not I'll figure a way to get the wr450 to fit with bracket and machining... 👍 

Screenshot_20210204-044859.jpg

I like where you're going with this Alex.

Here is another thought I had but need advice on whether this is do-able.

The MT09 298mm rotor will bolt straight up to the T7's wheel because it shares the same mounting pattern. To fit the existing caliper to the MT09 rotor would require an 8mm offset of the caliper from the wheel's centreline, which is a little tight for a bracket, but might be achievable by welding up the caliper's mounting holes and adding a little extra material, and re-machining new holes something like shown below set with 11.3mm offset at 45 degrees (and a little rotation, achieving 8mm from the centreline).

image.thumb.png.d81ea162b23daa91f3c5e3c42710c87a.png

From what I can tell this offset wont interfere with anything and wont require new brake lines.

image.thumb.png.06bd8c2b009df88536b566375f80fb59.png

Does anyone have experience with welding cast alloy that can comment on this?

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I like where you're going with this Alex.

Here is another thought I had but need advice on whether this is do-able.

The MT09 298mm rotor will bolt straight up to the T7's wheel because it shares the same mounting pattern. To fit the existing caliper to the MT09 rotor would require an 8mm offset of the caliper from the wheel's centreline, which is a little tight for a bracket, but might be achievable by welding up the caliper's mounting holes and adding a little extra material, and re-machining new holes something like shown below set with 11.3mm offset at 45 degrees (and a little rotation, achieving 8mm from the centreline).

image.thumb.png.d81ea162b23daa91f3c5e3c42710c87a.png

From what I can tell this offset wont interfere with anything and wont require new brake lines.

image.thumb.png.06bd8c2b009df88536b566375f80fb59.png

Does anyone have experience with welding cast alloy that can comment on this?

If you are after keeping the original calipers you might find it easier to make some brackets up for an r1 rotor 5vy from 2004-2006. They are 320mm and according to my math you would need to offset the calipers by 19mm.

This could provide you with enough clearance to achieve this and have better stopping power than stock. 

I am no expert but cast welding is not ideal. Machining a new arm for the caliper would be the way to go and then they bolt straight in. 

Thank you for sharing the drawing I presume you have a pdf copy that I could possibly get from you so I can lay out in Cad. 

Aleks 

• Like 1